Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Talking Shop About Barbershop (Scents)!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    1. Drakkar Noir's opening is far more fresher than those two but in a very sharper, sporty way, yet it also gets a bit soapy/shaving cream-like in the middle.

2. As far as earlier entries like Pinauld Clubman...I just can't get into that one. I bought it the other day, and while the splash on at first was nice in a medicinal-smelling way, it became this huge powdered bomb.
    1. I get that too - DN and 'sporty'
    2. Why not try PC Special Reserve? Excellent leatheriness - little powderiness
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

This is a great thread, as I was struggling to understand how exactly so-called "barbershop fragrances" were supposed to evoke a fresh and clean style when they all seemed to have such musky dry downs, compared to actual fresh scents like Acqua di Gio.

I just bought a can of Barbasol to see what all the hype was about Rive Gauche, as they're supposed to smell similar. Barbasol smells great! Now I see the connection between shaving cream>barbershop fragrance>fresh and clean smell.

I thought Brut Special Reserve was brutal in the dry down, but I tried the cheaper aftershave splash on...wonderful stuff. Clean yet musky makes sense to me now.
    I got a different variant of Azzaro Pour Homme and it's like day and night between that and the refillable $20 bottles being sold at Marshalls. I definitely get a smooth, shaving cream vibe with this one, while the current EdT smells crude and cheap.

Some great looking recommendations here too. On my list:

Tom Ford Beau de Jour
    Azzaro L'Eau
    Pinauld Clubman Special Reserve
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    1. I get that too - DN and 'sporty'
    2. Why not try PC Special Reserve? Excellent leatheriness - little powderiness
    After reading the reviews, and talk of it being so leathery, I want to try it out.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    This is a great thread, as I was struggling to understand how exactly so-called "barbershop fragrances" were supposed to evoke a fresh and clean style when they all seemed to have such musky dry downs, compared to actual fresh scents like Acqua di Gio.

I just bought a can of Barbasol to see what all the hype was about Rive Gauche, as they're supposed to smell similar. Barbasol smells great! Now I see the connection between shaving cream>barbershop fragrance>fresh and clean smell.

I thought Brut Special Reserve was brutal in the dry down, but I tried the cheaper aftershave splash on...wonderful stuff. Clean yet musky makes sense to me now.
    I got a different variant of Azzaro Pour Homme and it's like day and night between that and the refillable $20 bottles being sold at Marshalls. I definitely get a smooth, shaving cream vibe with this one, while the current EdT smells crude and cheap.

Some great looking recommendations here too. On my list:

Tom Ford Beau de Jour
    Azzaro L'Eau
    Pinauld Clubman Special Reserve
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon

After reading the reviews, and talk of it being so leathery, I want to try it out.
    You have to go for bottles of Azzaro Pour Homme that have 6 sides instead of 8 if you want the formula with oakmoss. Anything refillable and after does not have oakmoss in it and gone is that rounded drydown everyone loves.

I'd say you'd probably appreciate a bottle of Alfred Sung Homme and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme as well if you're digging this vibe.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'd say you'd probably appreciate a bottle of Alfred Sung Homme and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme as well if you're digging this vibe.
    The Paco Rabanne Pour Homme sample bottle in the outlet mall smelled amazing but when I actually bought a bottle, it's smelled completely floral to me. I don't know what happened but I was disappointed. I loved the smell from sample bottle but the one I bought smelled nothing like it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

So how do you define what is a "barbershop" fragrance?

Within the purview of that definition, what are your favorite barbershop fragrances?

I will give my 2 cents later on down the line!

DISCUSS!
    Take it from an amateur: Chanel Platinum Egoiste?
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    Acqua di Parma Colonia is another. Not the citrus top notes, but the basenotes are completely barbershop aromatic lavender. I would guess at that point it has light silage.
    Colonia Club would probably be the perfect mix between the old school cologne vibe of Acqua di Parma, and the green herbal sharpness of a fougere.

As for the rest of the topic, I'm not a huge fan of this style, but my god Beau de Jour is good. It's TF at their best, which is taking a classic profile, removing the elements that really dates it, and makes it palatable to the masses but, more importantly, to fragrance enthusiasts as well. I'm surprised it's not one of the more expensive 'extreme' or 'intense' bottles, to be frank. It knocks every other green fragrance he's tried to make out of the park. I'm planning on buying a decanter and enjoying sparingly as I can see this becoming hyped beyond any other TF scent if/when it gets discontinued. The amber-fougere drydown and tail end after about 6-8 hours is amazing, truly a beautiful way to soften out the harsh greenery I've struggled with for so long. Amazing stuff.

Anyone recall the fragrance that was mentioned as a good replacement or nicer Azzaro Pour Homme? I remember it being a slender tall bottle and a international overseas company. I can’t remember the name and I want to track it down read a lot of good things about it last year when it was mentioned.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Anyone recall the fragrance that was mentioned as a good replacement or nicer Azzaro Pour Homme? I remember it being a slender tall bottle and a international overseas company. I can’t remember the name and I want to track it down read a lot of good things about it last year when it was mentioned.
    Rive Gauche? It's discontinued...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Rive Gauche? It's discontinued...
    Not that one, I believe the original release came in a blue box and the logo was circular with red blue white and yellow in the logo. It’s rarely mentioned on basenotes and grabbed my interest based on reviews on Amazon and Fragrantica when I looked it up.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Take it from an amateur: Chanel Platinum Egoiste?
    Platinum Égoïste is very good! Nothing amateur about it Sir!
    oh look, I have a signature

Platinum Égoïste is very good! Nothing amateur about it Sir!
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    The Paco Rabanne Pour Homme sample bottle in the outlet mall smelled amazing but when I actually bought a bottle, it's smelled completely floral to me. I don't know what happened but I was disappointed. I loved the smell from sample bottle but the one I bought smelled nothing like it.
    Paco rabbane pour homme should def not be smelling floral!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Giving Drakkar Noir another try in the blazing heat today. One thing is for sure, that soapy opening is so good, and I do detect the barbershop/shaving cream scent. . It evokes that drugstore sleaze but in a good way. Thats definitely a horrible description but it’s super fun to wear and you can see how Axe/Lynx is a direct descendant of this stuff, as well as Cool Water, cK Eternity, Platinum Egoiste, and even Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    Paco rabbane pour homme should def not be smelling floral!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I guess I could herbal. Sometimes that fits into a similar family tree. But to my nose, it leaned more floral.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

My SOTD, Mazzolari Augusto, is another one for this discussion. A very nice mix of bergamot, mint, lavender and sandalwood, among others.

Even though Azzaro Pour Homme in its current form doesn’t have a rich robust dry down which I imagine the oakmoss used to lend it, the current stuff is still very “classic barbershop fougere” to me, albeit in a very aromatic direction. Sometimes I find it ridiculously beautiful, other times it reminds me too much of a similar accord used in underarm deodorant when I was in high school (which still reads as “manly,” mind you, but just adds a crass connotation for me).

My favorite barbershop-evoking perfumes are: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (easily the one I reach for the most often, and which has a more rustic vibe than Azzaro to me, winningly dirty below the soapiness); MFK Pluriel Masculin (to me, exactly what a modernistic fougere would be), and Histoires de Parfumes 1725 when I’m in a more powdery dandy mood.
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9