Code of Conduct
o

Default Formula dilution percentages

Another question (sorry!)
    I was checking out some of the formulas over at https://sites.google.com/site/perfum...-of-white-musk and just wanted to know about how this would work.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 1.06.19 pm.jpg
    I haven't uploaded the full formula because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that, but my question is regarding the % diluted part.
    So, for the Magish accord you use 100%, but for something like the Lyral, which is a 25% dilution, does that mean the Lyral component is 25% Lyral and 75% carrier - like alcohol, or oil? So it's 'watered down'?

{Edit} And someone mentioned when starting out to buy 1/2 oz 50% dilutions. Does that sound right?
    TIA

Default Re: Formula dilution percentages

Quote Originally Posted by Halonp View Post
    Another question (sorry!)
    I was checking out some of the formulas over at https://sites.google.com/site/perfum...-of-white-musk and just wanted to know about how this would work.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 1.06.19 pm.jpg
    I haven't uploaded the full formula because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that, but my question is regarding the % diluted part.
    So, for the Magish accord you use 100%, but for something like the Lyral, which is a 25% dilution, does that mean the Lyral component is 25% Lyral and 75% carrier - like alcohol, or oil? So it's 'watered down'?

{Edit} And someone mentioned when starting out to buy 1/2 oz 50% dilutions. Does that sound right?
    TIA
    Hi, you are correct - in this example Lyral is at a 25% dilution (i.e., 25% Lyral and 75% alcohol, carrier oil, etc.). Floralozone is a 10% solution with 10% Floralozone, 90% alcohol or whatever you use to dilute.

You don’t have to purchase 1/2 oz 50% materials, but personally when I am practicing and creating formulas I use diluted materials simply to use less. This way if it’s terrible I didn’t waste a bunch of full strength materials. Others go at it with all or mostly full strength materials. Good luck!

Thanks for clarifying bsouthers

Can anyone recommend a good product to use in diluting?
    I’d prefer it to be as natural as possible and I’m thinking of using FCO as a carrier for the finished product (in glass rollers).
    So is it fine just to dilute my EO’s in FCO for blending and experimenting too?
    I’m planning on getting some tonka bean and vanilla bean to play with and have heard they can be a bit difficult to work with.

Fractionated coconut oil is probably the best natural base to use - it isnt greasy when applied to the skin and has a long life span compared to other naturals and is also relatively cheap.

For some materials that are solid you would need DPG to dissolve them, others will dissolve more readily in alcohol and some are difficult to dissolve in most materials so for those I would normally use TEC or IPM. I keep have all 4 so no matter the material I can dissolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by amateurperfumer View Post
    Fractionated coconut oil is probably the best natural base to use - it isnt greasy when applied to the skin and has a long life span compared to other naturals and is also relatively cheap.

For some materials that are solid you would need DPG to dissolve them, others will dissolve more readily in alcohol and some are difficult to dissolve in most materials so for those I would normally use TEC or IPM. I keep have all 4 so no matter the material I can dissolve it.
    Thanks amateurperfumer, I'll make sure to get some of those other items too.

Basenotes Plus

Absolutes like Tonka and Vanilla dissolve best into alcohol. Absolutes as a class of materials, always dissolve into alcohol. Tonka does require a low % of tonka to higher % alcohol...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Thanks pkiler, I thought that might be the case.

I've been having a look at all the info on the good scents company page for each of the new oils/absolutes I've purchased.

Some pages say, "use up to 0.05%" for the FINISHED PRODUCT. This is for the Jasmine Grandiflorium Absolute.
    So just to clarify, if I make a finished product of 100ml (70 mls alcohol + 30 mls fragrance), I can only use up to 0.015 mls (0.05%) of Jasmine Grandiflorium Absolute?

Other pages say, "use up tp 10% in the FRAGRANCE CONCENTRATE." That's for the aldehyde C18.
    So if my total product is 100mls (70 mls alcohol + 30 mls fragrance), that means I can use up to 3 mls (10%) of aldehyde c18?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halonp View Post
    I've been having a look at all the info on the good scents company page for each of the new oils/absolutes I've purchased.

Some pages say, "use up to 0.05%" for the FINISHED PRODUCT. This is for the Jasmine Grandiflorium Absolute.
    So just to clarify, if I make a finished product of 100ml (70 mls alcohol + 30 mls fragrance), I can only use up to 0.015 mls (0.05%) of Jasmine Grandiflorium Absolute?

Other pages say, "use up tp 10% in the FRAGRANCE CONCENTRATE." That's for the aldehyde C18.
    So if my total product is 100mls (70 mls alcohol + 30 mls fragrance), that means I can use up to 3 mls (10%) of aldehyde c18?

Thanks
    Jasmine absolute is a restricted material for IFRA standards, hence the maximum level in finished product (and of course that percentage will change if you're making a different type of product, say for example a car freshener or a candle or a perfume). It only matters if you're following the IFRA Standard. Note that EU regulations also differ from the IFRA standard.

OTOH, Aldehyde C18 is not restricted. If you want to put 100% in your fragrance, you can. However the recommended maximum for optimal effect is 10% in concentrate, but that's just a recommendation.

Thanks Quodo

Hi guys,

My query is slightly related to this and I don't want to start another thread so i'll ask here.

If you have a say a 50ml bottle of Tuberose 20% in DPG, it's been diluted at 20% of 30ml not grams i.e. 10ml Mimosa in 40ml DPG... am i right? I mean, i know it's incredibly stupid me asking but i do want to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by Beautifully African View Post
    If you have a say a 50ml bottle of Tuberose 20% in DPG, it's been diluted at 20% of 30ml not grams
    Not necessarily. Did you purchase it diluted? If so, I assume the label only indicates ml? It could have been diluted at 20% using weight, and then poured into a 50ml bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beautifully African View Post
    Hi guys,

My query is slightly related to this and I don't want to start another thread so i'll ask here.

If you have a say a 50ml bottle of Tuberose 20% in DPG, it's been diluted at 20% of 30ml not grams i.e. 10ml Mimosa in 40ml DPG... am i right? I mean, i know it's incredibly stupid me asking but i do want to make sure
    Unless I am misreading your post that would be incorrect. It depends on whether the tuberose was diluted according to weight or not. As an example, when doing your dilutions, weigh out 20 grams of tuberose and 80 grams of DPG to get a 20% dilution.

Dilutions are by mass. However much the contents of the bottle weigh, 20% of that mass is tuberose and 80% of that mass is DPG.

Think of it this way: mass is a measure of the amount of stuff; volume is a measure of the size of stuff. If you have 1 gold bar and 1 pile of feathers the same size and shape as the gold bar, then you've got approximately 12,400 grams of gold and 30 grams of feathers - that's not 50%/50%, even though they're both the same volume!

Quote Originally Posted by julian35 View Post
    Not necessarily. Did you purchase it diluted? If so, I assume the label only indicates ml? It could have been diluted at 20% using weight, and then poured into a 50ml bottle.
    Yes, i did...it was a free sample. Yes, the bottle only indicated ml.

Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    Unless I am misreading your post that would be incorrect. It depends on whether the tuberose was diluted according to weight or not. As an example, when doing your dilutions, weigh out 20 grams of tuberose and 80 grams of DPG to get a 20% dilution.
    Right. Lol, I've been diluting oils wrong then.Thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ourmess View Post
    Dilutions are by mass. However much the contents of the bottle weigh, 20% of that mass is tuberose and 80% of that mass is DPG.

Think of it this way: mass is a measure of the amount of stuff; volume is a measure of the size of stuff. If you have 1 gold bar and 1 pile of feathers the same size and shape as the gold bar, then you've got approximately 12,400 grams of gold and 30 grams of feathers - that's not 50%/50%, even though they're both the same volume!
    Right, of course. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Absolutes like Tonka and Vanilla dissolve best into alcohol. Absolutes as a class of materials, always dissolve into alcohol. Tonka does require a low % of tonka to higher % alcohol...
    I have some perfumers alcohol and some FCO. If I dissolve the Tonka in the alcohol, will that be able to mix with the FCO for a finished oil based perfume?

Alcohol and FCO don't mix. You have to have one or the other as your end goal. And not have dilutions using one that could need to end up in the other.

IPM is a convenient diluent that can go into either. So are TEC and DPG but I have used them little.

(Isopropyl myristate, triethyl citrate, dipropylene glycol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Alcohol and FCO don't mix. You have to have one or the other as your end goal. And not have dilutions using one that could need to end up in the other.

IPM is a convenient diluent that can go into either. So are TEC and DPG but I have used them little.

(Isopropyl myristate, triethyl citrate, dipropylene glycol.)
    Thanks Bill.