Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ok Basenotes, I finally did it. I have placed an order for a 4oz bottle of Aventus.

Hello all,

I just placed an order for a 4oz bottle of Aventus from Fragrance X. After shipping and everything, the total came out at $395.81. That price is so scary, I feel like I'm going to have an anxiety attack! LOL!

Ordering from them, you have no idea of what batch you are going to get, so I am just praying that it's a good one. Yes, this is a blind buy for me, but I do have two clones, as well as a sample of Aventus Cologne (carded sample from Creed), so I feel that I have an idea of what I am going to get from this fragrance.

I am aware that I could have purchased a newer 3.3oz from Fragnet and saved a bit on the per ml price, but I like the idea of getting an older batch, and that extra cost was essentially my "insurance cost" if you will, to make sure it's at least a 2017 batch, if I am not mistaken. Someone please correct me, if I am wrong.

I had been debating this purchase a lot. Going back and forth, due to the cost. Even discussing it with my GF many, many times. It really boils down to why am I willing to pay this much for a single bottle of fragrance, when I could have used those funds to purchase a handful of other bottles.

Aventus is hailed as The King. I want to own some of that. Plain and simple. The hype is real with this fragrance.

Since getting into fragrances, I feel like I have almost opened a new chapter in my life. I know that sounds WAY over the top, but I am being 100% serious. I use fragrances as a bit of aromatherapy, and it's something that my GF and I are both passionate about and we share the hobby together. She's also helping me fund this bottle.

I do feel like I kind of "owe it to myself" to just break down and get a bottle of the real thing. I need to stop fretting over YT videos, and various threads discussing all of the clones. None of them are going to be 100% spot on, and I am aware of that. I really, REALLY want to experience/own the real Creed Aventus.

I think when there is a fragrance that has had an impact on the fragrance community in such a huge way, then it's nearly a "must have" for those into the hobby. At least, I feel it is for me. I was going to order a decant to try it first, but with all of the batch variations, I figured the nuances of the fragrance I would end up purchasing would be different, so I may as well jump in head first.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling, confessions, and nonsense. LOL! I am super excited to get this one in, and give it some wearings. I hope I did ok on this one guys.

I'll see you all in the batch thread soon.

Default Re: Ok Basenotes, I finally did it. I have placed an order for a 4oz bottle of Aventus.

Congrats, there is nothing like that fresh pineapple opening to start the day with that spring in your step.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Terre d Hermes Edt

Default Re: Ok Basenotes, I finally did it. I have placed an order for a 4oz bottle of Aventus.

That's awesome. If I had to guess, I'd say you'll receive 17Q11, possibly 17N01. Both are gems and I hope you enjoy your new bottle to the fullest. Batch variances are fun albeit in a bit of a neurotic kind of way haha .

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Congrats and tell us how do you and your girlfriend like it when you receive it! I hope this will be the variation you'll enjoy immensely.
    I haven't tried Aventus myself yet though, although all I should do is go to the store and spray some. Somehow I'm not that much interested in it - but you're right, it's an iconic fragrance by now - at least in basenotes - and therefore a must try - at least in a way.
    Currently wearing: Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Congrats. I think you did the right thing in buying it...IF it makes you happy. As prevalent as it is, I'm kind of surprised you bought it blindly. But I do think odds are good that you will probably like it as much as you expect to and won't be sorry you bought it.

Also, hopefully it'll smell great on first spray. You've probably read that sometimes it takes awhile for Aventus to blossom if it's never been sprayed. At least it did with my bottle. That's another reason it's good to sample beforehand....so you'll KNOW if your bottle smells like it's supposed to. But if it doesn't immediately meet your expectations, don't give up on it.

Happy for you and your excitement! Hope it works out well for you.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post

I just placed an order for a 4oz bottle of Aventus from Fragrance X. After shipping and everything, the total came out at $395.81. That price is so scary, I feel like I'm going to have an anxiety attack! LOL!
    Congrats on this purchase! Enjoy it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you everybody, I appreciate the kind words. I am certain that I will enjoy the scent profile, it's only the performance that has me worried a bit.

Having said that, my last bottle purchased was Blue de Chanel EDP, and there are those who do not think it performs very well. Of course, I had a tester of each of the Bleu's prior to purchase, and I knew the performance, but IMO BdC EDP performs just fine, and I couldn't be happier with my bottle. I'm hoping the same joy will be netted from finally getting Aventus.

As long as it performs reasonably well (as good as BdC, AdG Profumo, Fahrenhetit, etc) then I'll be satisfied. I am not expecting "beast mode" from this bottle, but above average performance is ideal IMO. Fingers crossed!

You WILL like it simply because you spent so much on it. It's called "cognitive dissonance." You're not just going to get it and say, "Damn, this sucks," and put it in the back of a drawer like you would a $20 blind buy.

Personally, I don't want to smell like a burning pineapple for any amount of money. I find the scent to be utterly gross. But there are 15,573 guys here who will tell you it's the best fragrance in the history of the universe so at least you'll have lots of people to talk with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlorpy View Post
    You WILL like it simply because you spent so much on it. It's called "cognitive dissonance." You're not just going to get it and say, "Damn, this sucks," and put it in the back of a drawer like you would a $20 blind buy.

Personally, I don't want to smell like a burning pineapple for any amount of money. I find the scent to be utterly gross. But there are 15,573 guys here who will tell you it's the best fragrance in the history of the universe so at least you'll have lots of people to talk with.
    You must be a riot at parties...

Ok. It's not clear if you read my OP, but I think I have an idea of what the scent profile will be like, and I already know I enjoy it. Sure, I don't know what nuances will develop with real Aventus, but that seems to change with various batches anyway. My only real concern is performance, when it comes to this purchase.

I think it's ok for all of us to enjoy different fragrances and all, but I feel as if you're projecting quite a bit of unwarranted anger at me here. If I have offended you by making this purchase, I find that odd. Thanks for chiming in though. I hope whatever fragrances you purchase bring you happiness in life, even if they are ones I don't enjoy. No snark intended.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    You must be a riot at parties...
    LOL'd!

By the way, Firepower is a great record, and I have to admit it's my favorite from Priest. I am a bit too young to have been a hardcore Priest fan, but I really enjoyed Halford's first Fight record in my youth. That was essentially my intro to him, and subsequently, Judas Priest. Downing and Tipton are undeniably guitar legends!!!
    Last edited by painted_klown; 2nd July 2019 at 01:47 AM.

By the way, Firepower is a great record, and I have to admit it's my favorite from Priest. I am a bit too young to have been a hardcore Priest fan, but I really enjoyed Halford's first Fight record in my youth. That was essentially my intro to him, and subsequently, Judas Priest. Downing and Tipton are undeniably guitar legends!!!
    Nice! Maiden, Priest and Motorhead are my Holy Trinity of metal. Maiden being tops for me .

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Nice! Maiden, Priest and Motorhead are my Holy Trinity of metal. Maiden being tops for me .
    That's awesome. All of these bands were really big a hair before I discovered rock/metal. I was born in '77, so by the time I was old enough to have discovered metal, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, etc were all a big deal. I later got into hardcore stuff like Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Nailbomb, etc.

These days I am too old to listen to much metal, but I still keep Pantera on my iPhone. For "neweish" metal stuff, I really like Gojira quite a lot. I also enjoy some of the fuzz stuff like Orange Goblin, Wolfmother, Witch (J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr plays drums for these guys), Red Fang, etc. However, most of my music listening is alternative rock, as that style was huge when I was in high school.

Anyway, all of this is way off the topic of fragrances, but I am a music junkie in real life, and I always enjoy it when I see your username pop up in threads. \m/

Banned

Congrats. The anxiety caused by the price will make you enjoy it even more.

Anyway, all of this is way off the topic of fragrances, but I am a music junkie in real life, and I always enjoy it when I see your username pop up in threads. \m/
    Me too! These days you'll find me listening to a lot of Springsteen, Tom Waits, Ryan Adams, etc. I've always been a huge Motown fan as well - Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, etc. I have a huge soft spot for The Killers too. They just write some incredible hooks .

I think it's ok for all of us to enjoy different fragrances and all, but I feel as if you're projecting quite a bit of unwarranted anger at me here. If I have offended you by making this purchase, I find that odd. Thanks for chiming in though. I hope whatever fragrances you purchase bring you happiness in life, even if they are ones I don't enjoy. No snark intended.
    Nah, I don't know you, couldn't care less what you buy, was just a little surprised when you said you "blind bought" a $400 fragrance. And besides, I'm predicting that you'll like it. Who cares why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Congrats. The anxiety caused by the price will make you enjoy it even more.
    LOL! Perhaps. If it turns out to be a decent performer, then the anxiety will melt away, and I'm sure to enjoy my bottle.

Nah, I don't know you, couldn't care less what you buy, was just a little surprised when you said you "blind bought" a $400 fragrance. And besides, I'm predicting that you'll like it. Who cares why?
    Nearly all of my purchases are complete blind buys, as in, I have no idea at all of what the fragrance smells like. Because of that, I'm used to buying blind.

It doesn't bother me as much as it does some others. Sure, I have made purchases that didn't quite live up to the hype, or whatever, but only 1 single bottle that I regret entirely based on the scent profile. I just cannot find anything about Bogart Arabian Nights to enjoy. I suppose I can give the performance top marks, but that's about it. LOL!

Aventus probably isn't going to be shockingly different than what I expect it to be, unless the two clones I have are pretty far off from the real deal. What I am expecting is a non-harsh opening that actually has pineapple (as opposed to the lemon used in the clones), and a better late drydown experience because of the fixatives Creed uses in the base. That's realistically what I am imagining anyway.

I just want to say that I know for a fact that none of you are a riot at parties. Ok, back to Aventus-ing.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I just want to say that I know for a fact that none of you are a riot at parties. Ok, back to Aventus-ing.
    LOL! I'm so old and crusty that I haven't even been invited to a party in over 12 years! I also quit drinking around that time, so I think there may be a correlation.

This comment did genuinely make me LOL IRL though.

You have not seen what I can do to bean dip...

Bringing excellent food is the only substitute to make up for not being a riot at parties.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

You'll like it just fine if you already like the clones. Stuff like Insurrection or CDNI get parts of the formula right, but never the complete picture. Then you have stuff like Montblanc Explorer that doesn't try to clone but rather riff off the genre Aventus created, and if you like all them, what you're getting here is the origin of the species for it all. Sorta like if you smell a bunch of green aquatics then go back and smell Green Irish Tweed, which did that kind of base first. You're bound to like it because it's the starting point of all the stuff you've already discovered.

As for being "The King", some of that is the cognitive dissonance and peer-pressure of being in the FragComm and wanting to fit in with TheBros, but Stockholm Syndrome and weird cult phenomenon aside, it is a really good modern masculine semi-chypre ambrox scent that set in motion a trend we're still living through in 2019
    oh look, I have a signature

Hey man, you just spent 400 bucks on a bottle of perfume!

I agree with ZC's statement below.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    You'll like it just fine if you already like the clones.
    Enjoy the bottle.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

Hello all,

Ordering from them, you have no idea of what batch you are going to get, so I am just praying that it's a good one. Yes, this is a blind buy for me, but I do have two clones, as well as a sample of Aventus Cologne (carded sample from Creed), so I feel that I have an idea of what I am going to get from this fragrance.

I am aware that I could have purchased a newer 3.3oz from Fragnet and saved a bit on the per ml price, but I like the idea of getting an older batch, and that extra cost was essentially my "insurance cost" if you will, to make sure it's at least a 2017 batch, if I am not mistaken. Someone please correct me, if I am wrong.

I had been debating this purchase a lot. Going back and forth, due to the cost. Even discussing it with my GF many, many times. It really boils down to why am I willing to pay this much for a single bottle of fragrance, when I could have used those funds to purchase a handful of other bottles.

Aventus is hailed as The King. I want to own some of that. Plain and simple. The hype is real with this fragrance.

Since getting into fragrances, I feel like I have almost opened a new chapter in my life. I know that sounds WAY over the top, but I am being 100% serious. I use fragrances as a bit of aromatherapy, and it's something that my GF and I are both passionate about and we share the hobby together. She's also helping me fund this bottle.

I do feel like I kind of "owe it to myself" to just break down and get a bottle of the real thing. I need to stop fretting over YT videos, and various threads discussing all of the clones. None of them are going to be 100% spot on, and I am aware of that. I really, REALLY want to experience/own the real Creed Aventus.

I think when there is a fragrance that has had an impact on the fragrance community in such a huge way, then it's nearly a "must have" for those into the hobby. At least, I feel it is for me. I was going to order a decant to try it first, but with all of the batch variations, I figured the nuances of the fragrance I would end up purchasing would be different, so I may as well jump in head first.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling, confessions, and nonsense. LOL! I am super excited to get this one in, and give it some wearings. I hope I did ok on this one guys.

I'll see you all in the batch thread soon.
    What size? 4 oz?
    I think it can be had for much cheaper than that, though I don't own a bottle myself. But I've seen it at Costco and from a few mall discount perfume shops for almost half that.

Banned

What size? 4 oz?
    I think it can be had for much cheaper than that, though I don't own a bottle myself. But I've seen it at Costco and from a few mall discount perfume shops for almost half that.
    Half price at Costco? What is that, about $200 for a 4 oz?

You'll like it just fine if you already like the clones.
    I think so too, and thank you for posting your thoughts. I enjoy reading your take/perspective on things. I find your knowledge on perfumes and the history of the industry, to be mesmorizing and feel like I know just a little bit more after reading your posts.

peer-pressure of being in the FragComm and wanting to fit in with TheBros,
    I'd be lying if I said that being on Basenotes had no effect on my decision to make this purchase. If you hang around a barbershop long enough, you'll eventually get your hair cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    Hey man, you just spent 400 bucks on a bottle of perfume!
    Enjoy the bottle.
    LOL! Thank you.

What size? 4 oz?
    Yeah, a 4oz bottle. In looking around a bit after making the purchase, I do feel that I may have over paid some. It's kind of a bummer to know that, but it was still less than full retail.

My bottle is scheduled to be delivered on Friday (not sure if the holiday will end up affecting that), and as long as the performance is fine, then I'm not going to keep sweating it, I'll just enjoy the bottle I have. I'll just know to look around a bit more, if the day comes that I want/need another bottle of Aventus.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

You can decant some to keep as a reminder of how it smells, and sell the bottle with what’s left in it, at some point, unless you’re really into it.

hope you get a good batch man. i did the same thing and blind bought it and it sure payed off. my aventus is worth double what i paid for it. fragrancex is a good site aswell.

The eagle has landed, I repeat, the eagle has landed. To say that I'm excited, is an understatement.

For those that are curious, I have batch # A4217Q11.

I've had two sprays on my arm for about 35 minutes now, and initial impressions are positive. I'm not going to get into my thoughts just yet though. I want to experience it some before I talk about it too much. More later.

The eagle has landed, I repeat, the eagle has landed. To say that I'm excited, is an understatement.

For those that are curious, I have batch # A4217Q11.

I've had two sprays on my arm for about 35 minutes now, and initial impressions are positive. I'm not going to get into my thoughts just yet though. I want to experience it some before I talk about it too much. More later.
    Congrats, painted_klown. Enjoy!
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

It's been 52 minutes since your last report.
    Please update.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo