Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - July 2019

Looking forward to reading your impressions of whatever you're trying this month, folks!

l'll be back with more of my own tomorrow.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Sample of the Day - July 2019

teardrop, I got some Auphorie samples on hand that I've just received.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    teardrop, I got some Auphorie samples on hand that I've just received.
    Looking forward to your thoughts, N.CAL!

Gelsomini di Capri by Carthusia:

ln the initial phase l get ginger & pink pepper, laid over a light & fresh jasmine. The citrus notes aren't obvious, but l'm using the dabber vial here & they may come over more strongly when spraying. These notes are soon joined by soft woods (described on the accompanying card as " cachemire woods" ) & vanilla. Forty minutes in, it's already fading - "deflating like a balloon" as another reviewer aptly puts it - & a creamy note comes into play. One hour in it's a warm, creamy, lightly spiced floral that puts me in mind of Givenchy's Organza. From here it continues to fade, & four hours in it's barely there.

This is a pleasant floriental, but for me the performance is poor, & it's certainly not different or special enough to warrant the price of a bottle.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia:

Aldehydes in the opening give this a very vintage feel, but there's also a lot of white musk & perhaps some iris, giving a smooth impression of "whiteness" here. After a few minutes, a sweetish floral accord begins to take over. lt's hard to pick out notes, but this doesn't read as carnation to me so much as tuberose & ylang ylang. Two hours in, it's a creamy-smooth white floral with a tropical touch of coconut lending it a beachy vibe. Four hours in it's still projecting moderately.

Others have compared this to Givenchy's Ysatis, which sadly l have never smelled, so l can't comment on any similarities. l'm quite enjoying the drydown, but the opening is not really to my taste.

I got back to Creed Green

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

Haven't posted in these threads for some time. I was going through so many samples, I would have completely dominated them all!

Cruel Summer by Sixteen92. One of Claire's lighter scents. Pale, beachy accord. Sunshine. Clean sand. Warm. The smell of evaporating tanning oil, in the late afternoon.
    I am purging my wardrobe. See my profile > About Me page > Biography section, for details... check out my swap list to see what I'm selling.
    Currently wearing: Sirène by Vicky Tiel

Basenotes Plus

::::

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Haven't posted in these threads for some time. I was going through so many samples, I would have completely dominated them all!
    l'm sure no one would have minded, HoP! Good to see you back here.

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l'm sure no one would have minded, HoP! Good to see you back here.

I may go ahead and post more here, as I sample, since I no longer have pounds of them.
    I am purging my wardrobe. See my profile > About Me page > Biography section, for details... check out my swap list to see what I'm selling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I may go ahead and post more here, as I sample, since I no longer have pounds of them.
    Please do!

Blog Entries

Carthusia Uomo:

This opens with citrus, an aquatic note, & sandalwood lightly spiced with cumin. lt doesn't whack you over the head with that traditionally masculine aftershave vibe, instead it has an air of understated elegance about it. Over the first half-hour, a herbal accord comes into play, reading as lavender or rosemary to my nose, followed by a smooth white musk. The floral notes aren't obvious, but are there in the background rounding it out. Other reviewers mention raspberry & seaweed, but l don't get those at all. Four hours in, the base is warm & spicy with amber & patchouli, & just a trace of oakmoss. The projection is low to moderate, & six hours in it's still going softly.

This is rather too far on the masculine side for me to wear myself, but l can see it being very attractive on a classy, well-dressed man who doesn't need a loud, in-your-face fragrance to announce his presence. l'll have to see if Mr teardrop would like to use up this sample...

Auphorie Mayura (2018):

In short. Auphorie Mayura was an unpleasant experience which included hyrax, castoreum, and civet making for a horrible concoction. The florals jasmine, ylang-ylang, and tuberose were not enough to compensate the foulsness from the animalistic notes although it dampened it some. The base was laced with musk and wood notes. My least favorite Auphorie thus far.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Auphorie Mayura (2018):

In short. Auphorie Mayura was an unpleasant experience which included hyrax, castoreum, and civet making for a horrible concoction. The florals jasmine, ylang-ylang, and tuberose were not enough to compensate the foulsness from the animalistic notes although it dampened it some. The base was laced with musk and wood notes. My least favorite Auphorie thus far.
    N.CAL, this sounds right up my street! What a shame l can't get a sample for love nor money.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    N.CAL, this sounds right up my street! What a shame l can't get a sample for love nor money.
    Send me a PM, I might be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Blog Entries

Send me a PM, I might be able to at least point you in the right direction.
    PM sent!

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Shout At The Devil by Sixteen92... So far, waxy pink, rose lipstick accord. Creamy white flowers. Vanilla. Hints of cinnamon. Faraway incense. Something like ylang ylang...

Nag champa increases. There's a light sandalwood or nutty smell. Nice but, not overly mind-blowing.

Burberry London For Men
    Second time I am trying this, and this time I like it even better. Beautiful beautiful boozy slightly spicy cinnamon on tobacco and some leather or resins. Very soft, sweet-ish, but in a nice way. Not very masculine to my nose, seems very suitable for a woman. I like how spices mingle with sweetness and booze, this feels and smells like Friday or winter holidays to me. Would wear again and again and again. Unfortunately, longevity is very short on me - after 2 hours it's only a faint skin scent, after 2,5 hours it's almost completely gone.

I have tested Burberry London for women before and was unimpressed. It was an elegant, subtle and perfumey scent, very pleasant, but very not "me" and didn't evoke me any feelings. The masculine version I would wear gladly.

I also tested Michael Kors Wonderlust and Wonderlust Eau Fresh from the peel off sample earlier in the month. Both are subtle, elegant, pleasant/pleasing florals, but felt a bit unimpressive to me.

A repost from "smelled for the 1st time" thread:

Today I smelled a bunch and tried some of Jo Malone fragrances and have to say I'm quite impressed.

Lime, Basil & Mandarin - what a beauty. I'm not surprised it's their most popular one. Very fresh and uplifting, with aromatic twist. Great for summer. Great for anyone. Too bad it's so fleeting - it was the first one to run away from my wrist.

Grapefruit - I'm biased here as I'm such a sucker for grapefruit scents. Of course I liked it. It's a more aromatic grapefruit. It also has a darker twist similarly to Pamplelune, but not quite so.

Pomegranate Noir - I really liked the way sour fruits mingle with spices and resins and patchouli here, mmm. Too bad I got mixed up where I sprayed Grapefruit and where Pomegranate Noir, as one of them is gone now and the other is still smelling faintly, but oh so pleasantly. I THINK it's this one, but I'm not sure now. Some re-testing is on my schedule now, I guess.

Myrrh & Tonka - beautiful and sensual. A bit sweet at first, then sweetness evaporates and I'm left with slighly smokey resins. I would love it in autumn. Strongest and longest lasting of them all, I still feel it quite well after 8 hours or more.

Besides those four that I tried on my skin there are some that I just sniffed and liked quite a lot and brought little perfumed papers with me:
    Black Cedar & Juniper - this one leans more masculine, but I would wear it. It gives off a bit cold vibe, yet is quite comforting and soothing.

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily
    - oh I really do love ginger note in fragrances. This one was both warm and refreshing at the same time, very pleasant. I really want to try this out on my skin, will do that next time.

Velvet Rose & Oud
    - I wouldn't wear this, but I would love to smell it on someone else or as a room scent.

I also smelled Clary Sage & Sea Salt for reference and some of the more flowery ones, but wasn't interested in them. I can see why Clary Sage & Sea Salt is popular though, it's very calming and subtle.

Can't do more detailed descriptions as I continued shopping and running errands after testing them and when I finally came home 2 out of 4 were completely gone, 1 smells only faintly yet very pleasantly (too bad I can't remember which one it is, Grapefruit or Pomegranate Noir I'm guessing it's Pomegranate Noir, or maybe Grapefruit, oh. I smell some spiced pachouli, but oh, I see both of them have it in the notes. I'll have to re-test these two) and only Myrrh & Tonka is still alive and kicking in its smokey resinous beauty. My scented papers give off only very faint smell now, so the fragrances are quite fleeting - but really pleasant. The black bottle collection seems much better lasting though.

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Burberry London For Men
    Second time I am trying this, and this time I like it even better. Beautiful beautiful boozy slightly spicy cinnamon on tobacco and some leather or resins. Very soft, sweet-ish, but in a nice way. Not very masculine to my nose, seems very suitable for a woman. I like how spices mingle with sweetness and booze, this feels and smells like Friday or winter holidays to me. Would wear again and again and again. Unfortunately, longevity is very short on me - after 2 hours it's only a faint skin scent, after 2,5 hours it's almost completely gone.

I have tested Burberry London for women before and was unimpressed. It was an elegant, subtle and perfumey scent, very pleasant, but very not "me" and didn't evoke me any feelings. The masculine version I would wear gladly.

I also tested Michael Kors Wonderlust and Wonderlust Eau Fresh from the peel off sample earlier in the month. Both are subtle, elegant, pleasant/pleasing florals, but felt a bit unimpressive to me.

I prefer the men's version, too.

Tested a few Sabon fragrances today (most or even all not listed in the BN database yet), especially The Spell has certain points in common with Hermes TDH, yet depending on special offers/discounts at around half of the price
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

So I got a sample today of Bleu de Chanel PERFUM. the new one with the gold fonts also a sample of Versace Frishe I like it when I tried it,another sample lol I got is Vince Camuto Virtu and last I got Sauvage Dior it's really good