Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

Thierry Mugler - Alien Eau de Parfum

So like, I've smelled this before. But this might be the first intentional time I'm wearing it on my skin.

The very opening smelled like suntan lotion with some kind of weird candy smell. But now smelling up close, hmm I get an almost soil/dirt smell (what is that? Jasmine?) with a nearly new bike tire smell or moth ball or something.

It's not bad, but I don't love it. But I can re-smell again some other time when my nose might be in better shape.

Edit: Oh. Jasmine is the predominant note/accord for this? Okay then, haha. I'd like to smell when my nose is better then.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Well.. what a nice surprise! This was not what I was expecting from this. It really reminds me of like.. Gucci Pour Homme II and Amouage Portrayal Man. It has like a... almost balmy violet leaf smell or something to me (don't know what notes are - will look at stuff in a sec).

It's a little sweet, it's balmy, and it has a touch of sparkly citrus to it. Nice! I like it. Not sure if I smell apple or something as well. Like apple skin?

Edit: YES! I was pretty accurate about the violet! Woohoo! I just looked at some note stuff, haha.

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Tocca Cleopatra

Hm. Wait, is there violet in this too? And I get a kind of banana-esque smell from this. And a kind of wood smell, like plain old regular wood - or wood varnish?

Oh, it's the patchouli that's giving the wood smell.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Michael Kors - Wonderlust Eau Fresh

Smells good, but it also has that generic same accord thing running through it - what the heck is that?! From memory, however flawed, it seems notes that are familiar in this one and others that have that same 'feminine-genericness' are apple, musk, jasmine, and lily of the valley - so perhaps one of these or a combo of these is the culprit!

Good, not great. Generic-ish but with a nice citrus as well (the pomelo and/or bergamot?). And I get a shampoo smell also, but a very nice one; perhaps the apple coming into play as well.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Armani - Sì Passione

Great job with the pineapple, it ACTUALLY smells like pineapple to me. I'm kind of starting to think that 'generic' feminine smell I smell in these frags is pear... I get it in this frag as well, but not as much. Excellent pineapple in this, again. Haha. Not bad stuff.

All Hail King Kouros!

Freed from BN Institution

L'Aromarine Vanille EDT - This would be another example of a straight up vanilla scent. Good longevity. Moderate silage early on before becoming a skin scent. I think there are better choice vanilla scents, my favorite being Tihota, but this is a pleasant scent overall.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Sisley - Eau Tropicale

Eh. Easy going, pretty generic. Smells like.. apple scented shampoo mixed with regular lotion or something. Not bad, not great, just.. average?

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

MIU MIU L'eau Rosée

Light. Pleasant. Generic. Citrus and shampoo/body wash smell. Not bad, just mediocre.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Cartier - La Panthère (EdP)

So I'm kinda assuming that gardenia is one of my favorite white florals - it has a certain like.. creaminess or something to it that I enjoy, especially in Bois 1920 Come L'Amore.

This smells good, but doesn't blow me away. I'd maybe write it off even more-so if it wasn't for the gardenia.

This kind of smells like an old fashioned white floral women's perfume, but then add some creaminess to it. Not bad!~

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

ILikePeeps, my impressions of Alien, Wonderlust and La Panthere were quite similar to yours - it's just that Alien I didn't try on my skin, only on paper. I was kind of surprised to read that Alien is mostly about jasmine, as to me it seemed to smell mostly of sweet grapes, the candy kind - like grape Skittles or grape bubblegum, just much much much louder. Some day I'll probably try it on my skin - maybe it'll seem different then.
    I liked La Panthere, both the light and fruity EDT and slightly deeper but still soft EDP, and I loved the bottle of EDP.

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

I have tried several fragrances through the weekend for the first time:

Versace Versense

Fresh, green, citrusy, light and bright. Very likeable. Very spring-like. Very uplifting. I applied it on the back of my hand and could feel the joyful sparkly lemony and a bit herbal whiffs of it through the day - I was surprised to see it's quite long lasting. It doesn't shout, but you can feel its presence without sniffing your hand directly. Smells youthful, but definitely not immature - I imagine a professional woman with short hair, glasses, trouser suit, comfortable shoes (as she's always on the run), witty smile and curious attitude rocking this. I imagine my mom, both now and when I was a kid, doesn't matter the age. I think my mom would enjoy it quite a bit - I'll consider this as a gift option for future.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

I wanted to try this for quite a while now, but it wasn't available in any physical store I visited, so I ordered a mini-bottle set of this, Blue Silk and Lace Noir from an online discounter for sampling purposes. After unpacking mini bottles, uncorking them and sniffing, I can predict that I'll like the original AP the least and Lace Noir the most, but everything in its own time. So first I wore this - now already twice - impressions on others to follow later. It is dusty, oldschool and sophisticated. Quite mature and unsweet; it's not sexy to me, but I can see how it can feel sensual and boudoir-ish to others. I read it should be mostly about the rose, but I do not perceive (or don't recognize?) the rose under the cover of dusty musk. Maybe it's because that I've been dabbing, not spraying. It's not exactly dirty, but it's not clean either. I get the dusty wardrobe feel throughout - somehow it's very common in oldschool scents, I do not understand why. After a while a tiny whiff of spices reaches my nose, and that's when I say - aha! - I can like this after all.
    I would not want to wear it to work, somehow it doesn't feel appropriate here. I wouldn't wear it to a party or a date either, though, as I suspect nobody would enjoy it there on me either. I will use my two 10 ml minis at home when alone though - I can't say I really like it, but it has that something that's hard to pinpoint, but it draws you in and makes you sniff your wrists or even reapply some.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    ILikePeeps, my impressions of Alien, Wonderlust and La Panthere were quite similar to yours - it's just that Alien I didn't try on my skin, only on paper. I was kind of surprised to read that Alien is mostly about jasmine, as to me it seemed to smell mostly of sweet grapes, the candy kind - like grape Skittles or grape bubblegum, just much much much louder. Some day I'll probably try it on my skin - maybe it'll seem different then.
    I liked La Panthere, both the light and fruity EDT and slightly deeper but still soft EDP, and I loved the bottle of EDP.
    I'll probably give Alien another sniff eventually - I can try to remember your candy grape anecdote
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Proenza Schouler - Arizona

I get a prominent iris from this - the Dior Homme kind; lipstick-y. With a light thin-ish sweetness; not a gourmand or oriental or heavy sweetness, but more of .. I'm not sure, candied sweetness along the lines of Baccarat Rouge 540 kinda?

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Tiffany & Co. EdP

I was kinda dreading putting it on as I was assuming it's be a typical feminine frag, and likely a bit more old-school. Turns out it's a modern release and different than I expected.

Not bad. A nice cleaner musky with a bit of citrus. Apparently iris too, but I'm not getting a lipstick-y iris vibe - so perhaps a more layerable/background type of iris?

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Viktor & Rolf - Flowerbomb Bloom

Mmm, that opening smell drifting to the nose - gorgeous! This is pretty good. Unisex-ish leaning feminine.

Man, I need to sniff/re-niff the original!

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Viktor & Rolf - Flowerbomb Bloom

Mmm, that opening smell drifting to the nose - gorgeous! This is pretty good. Unisex-ish leaning feminine.

Man, I need to sniff/re-niff the original!
    No you don't. Overpriced juvenile nonsense.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Faqat Lil Rijal by Rasasi

Basenotes Plus

Twilly d'Hermes

Oooh. When I first sprayed it it seemed a bit... mature and typical/generic with a little something different. But smelling up close and looking at note stuff... I get the ginger, and I got the citrus aspect (not as much not though, aw :/). There's some kind of 'damp' floral or some such there also, kind of assuming this is the tuberose. Or combination with the jasmine/orange blossom.

Not bad, don't feel compelled to buy a bottle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    No you don't. Overpriced juvenile nonsense.
    Haha, but I feel I recall liking the original but I don't remember if I've worn it on skin.

Edit: What the hell?! Flowerbomb came out in 2005?!?! That's insane. I thought it was like a 2010-2015 release.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Elizabeth Arden - My Fifth Avenue

Eh.

Smells... largely generic/typical. What is that smell?! Why is THIS smell soooooo prevalent in feminine marketed frags? What is it? Can someone tell me please, haha.

It's that generic/typical smell - plus maybe a bit of a bubblegum-y vibe.

Pass.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Marc Jacobs - Daisy Love

Whoa, was NOT expecting that opening. That blast of sweetness. I quite enjoy the regular Daisy with the violet. I maybe don't get any violet at all in this one. Despite it maybe being way different... it's not bad! I actually like this one

Like... lotion with lightly-toasted marshmallows or something.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Carolina Herrera - Good Girl Légère

Sweet, but not 'too' sweet. It has that kind of artificial-sweetener smell, you know what I mean? Like where you can tell it's sweet, but it's more... syrupy without the heaviness. Like lite-syrup or something?

Girlfriend said it smells soapy (as well). Not bad, but a pass for me. Smells a bit generic as well, like the first thing I noticed - but it has a little something (or a lot of something) extra.

p.s. They really need to label their stuff better. Probably most people would just think this was regular Good Girl. Only thing that gives it away is the concentration is Eau de Parfum Légère. jeez.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 1st September 2019 at 10:14 PM.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Jimmy Choo - Fever

Oh man, the opening reminded me quite strongly of a fragrance from maybe a few years ago, possibly a male marketed one. Eros? Not sure.

This is actually pretty dang pleasant. I like it. Sweet, maybe fruity-ish, somewhat powdery.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Thierry Mugler - Alien Eau de Toilette (probably 2019 release version)

Yes! Much better than the regular EdP - that one wasn't bad, it was just kind of... bland/meh to me. This one has an awesome fruitiness to it, and that 'meh'-ness from the EdP is toned down. Not bad!

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Gucci Bloom

A mix between old-school/classic & modern smelling (white) floral. A bit indolic from the jasmine at least?

Seems like a decent baseline type of frag. Just pleasant. Not terribly interesting.

Hahaha glad to see people mentioning banana also as that may have popped into my mind right after spraying it.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Marc Jacobs - Daisy Dream

Nice and inoffensive. A kind of generic vibe, but not like the previous stuff I've worn necessarily. Has more of a fruity smell to it. I like it. Not sure what wisteria smells like though.

Kind of a shower gel vibe.

All Hail King Kouros!

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Thierry Mugler - Alien Eau de Toilette (probably 2019 release version)

Yes! Much better than the regular EdP - that one wasn't bad, it was just kind of... bland/meh to me. This one has an awesome fruitiness to it, and that 'meh'-ness from the EdP is toned down. Not bad!

Was the dry down similar? That was my favorite part in Angel as well as in AMEN.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Lancome - La Vie Est Belle (L'Eau de Parfum)

So yeah, this is a really popular darn near ubiquitous fragrance, eh? An ex-coworker of mine might wear this as pretty much the only thing, signature scent I guess.

I think I may like it better when smelling from my skin compared to when I smell it from her? Just seems more.. complex?

Not bad! Not too sweet, has like an almost bitter or tart fruity aspect to it as well. Not bad, not exactly 'wow'd though.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Was the dry down similar? That was my favorite part in Angel as well as in AMEN.
    I can't remember, ahah. I wanna say similar, but not as... dense or something. Overall I think I prefer the EdT.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

I find it fascinating that many of these reviews use the term "generic" to describe these scents.

In your opinion, are there specific notes or types of notes that make something smell "generic?"
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Chloe - Nomade

I like this one. It has an almost bubblegum-y smell to it, and for some reason it reminds me of like a balmy violet - similar to Portrayal Man/Fahrenheit type of DNA, but not harsh or rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I find it fascinating that many of these reviews use the term "generic" to describe these scents.

In your opinion, are there specific notes or types of notes that make something smell "generic?"
    I'd actually like to identify what it is that's giving me the vibe(s). But there's like a constant note or accord that's in A LOT of these fragrances. I'd nearly say that fragrances marketed towards men or unisex have more variety than feminine marketed frags - they just seem too similar to each other.

I guess in this context of these it's more of a really familiar smell and when I smell it, it's like, "Oh.. of course this smell is yet again in another feminine frag. *yawn*".

Kind of like a generic cologne guy smell, along the lines of stuff from the 90's to early 00's, like.. a Platinum Egoiste type of vibe. That metallic-y smell. Or just straight up 'calone'. That kind of generic. Where it's so prevalent.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Calvin Klein - Euphoria

I like this one. I thought it smelled kind of body wash-ish or shampoo-y at first, but the projection from my inner elbow to nose is really pleasing. Something to do with that altered sweetness aspect - like a... kind of powdery and maybe that mahogany is doing something? I don't know. I like it though.

All Hail King Kouros!

So female mass-marketed fragrances and I do not see eye-to-eye.
    The animosity goes back a long, a very long way.

However, I do have a depraved-perfume-gene, which often raises its Golam-head and I go looking or the Universe knows and someone sends me,
    or somehow such a fragrance lands on my sampling table.
    Of all things it was Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely last week.

It was perfumey for the lack of better term get go. It also has a decided suede-musk accord that is nauseating.
    And then comes (synthetic) Lilac-- I like the flower scent very much but synthetic lilac-mimics induce headache-- and that felt like being slapped silly.
    I was utterly done with it at this point.
    While I sampled it via a mouillette, some had spilled onto my fingers, and I kept washing my hands all day long.

On the other hand (not for the first time) but re-sampled 24 Faubourg by Hermès, after a very, very long time.
    M. Roucel's work is still exquisite and relevant, the white gardenia/jasmine is heady but delicate and somehow in my synesthetic mind, it's all enveloped
    in a crystalline sheer orange vapory glow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast