Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

Aura EDP by Mugler. Of course it's weird, it's a Mugler. But has it got enough character to walk the walk? As an avowed green fiend, I'm willing to cut it some slack; but can even a good green withstand a flood of vanilla and mint? Jury's still out on that.

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

Marketed as unisex - but all lean much more femme.
    TF White Patchouli - nice enough - the floral in this makes it feminine rather than uni. Wouldn't miss it, notice it or search for it.
    Fragonard Vetiver: standard clean very slightly floral powdery as per Prada infusions vetiver etc. Unisex. Smashing longevity.
    Gucci Mémoire d'Une Odeur - really odd opening - like raw pizza dough - lol thankfully passes quick - true to its name - very lean n sheer - like a skinscent of numerous fragrances,
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Viktor & Rolf - Magic Salty Flower

Weird. Salty (but that heavier kind of saltiness, it's the kind I don't enjoy as much. I prefer saltiness like in MI or Sel de Vetiver) + cocoa butter lotion smell + indolic jasmine? Haha.

Indolic aspect calms down fast. Less weird and closer to normal.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Juicy Couture - Viva La Juicy Rosé

I like it! That initial blast of rose reminds me of Tea Rose by The Perfumer's Workshop. Has a nice candied sweetness to it (but it's not opaque of thick), and some kind of like fizzy/zingy smell to it also.

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I was too excited to wait any longer and have applied my first wearing of Tom Ford Metallique.

For the opening, the first thing that came to my mind is "this smells masculine to me" which may well be because I wear a lot of girlie stuff. Males may not find it so masculine as I do. The second thing that came to mind was "tonka". Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I got out my vial of tonka to compare it and it smelled the same to me. I do have the sniffles, however. Then I thought about vanilla oat milk and got some out of the refrigerator. The oat milk is a lot stronger than what I am smelling but it's in the same ballpark, just a lot more delicate. There's a medicinal aspect and some baby lotion smell going on, too.
    I don't know what I was expecting, but this isn't it. There's nothing about it that makes me think of anything metallic.

It will be interesting to me to see how this dries down, since I find the opening not unpleasant but just so strange.

So I've just read the pyramid listing and there's no "tonka" but there are a lot of similar smelling notes in the heliotrope and hawthorn with peru balsam grouping along with the vanilla and sandalwood.
    I agree with the reviews that say there's a reminiscence in it of creme soda. I guess the vanilla will eventually conquer all in it.
    Since I don't like vanilla prominent scents, it's a no go for me, even without knowledge of the bad reviews and ratings of it on Fragrantica.
    I'm trying to remember why I wanted to try this so badly. It could be I wanted to smell something with a different kind of note in it like peru balsam.
    I also like to smell aldehydes that I think are metallic when maybe they are really more vitreous. I can't say.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

ILikePeeps: you inspired me to do the unthinkable.
    I was in a large store and I went to the female mainstream fragrance counter... åh, skräcken!

Chanel Gabrielle:
    Orange peel smell is evident up top, in-between it is a mess, a jasmine-orange blossom combo which is so effete I am not sure it had any kind of gonads.
    Have you ever seen Prince Rupert's drops or Dutch tears? Well, the head can handle even a bullet impact, but snap the tail... and viola. So does Gabrielle, it shatters by its tail before it even gets to the dry down.

Armani Si:
    Sweet, saccharine, synthetic sweet and dry down is very reminiscent of spicy Coco Mademoiselle.

Ralph Lauren Woman. Ah, a floral-synthetic woodsy conundrum which simply fizzles out... it is like when you go to take a sip of something that you thought maybe refreshing and it is all flat and no fizz. It is not even shower-gel fresh.

While I did this I had a mouillette of Chanel No. 5 EdT beside. I used it as a nose calibrator.
    By the time I was done messing, I had unfortunately attracted a crowd of SAs.
    They showed me something coming soon, Joy Intense by Dior... don't even bother, it is simply non-sequitur of a perfume.
    I made all of them sample Chanel No. 5 and the consensus was, this old lady can still hands down beat all this mumbo jumbo at one sniff.
    Last edited by Pallas Moncreiff; 8th September 2019 at 02:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Patou 1000, EDT and extrait, both gifts for my wife. No assessment yet, but early impressions are positive.
    Currently wearing: Moods Uomo by Krizia

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Patou 1000, EDT and extrait, both gifts for my wife. No assessment yet, but early impressions are positive.
    Hopefully she'll enjoy it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Aura EDP by Mugler. Of course it's weird, it's a Mugler. But has it got enough character to walk the walk? As an avowed green fiend, I'm willing to cut it some slack; but can even a good green withstand a flood of vanilla and mint? Jury's still out on that.
    Since you mentioned vanilla I might give this a try.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

My friend recently suggested me All Good Scents. I tried their jasmine and flirty and loved both of them. Now I am using their Flirty. Please do try!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Hopefully she'll enjoy it.
    She has thus far, but if she decides it's not for her, perhaps Starblind might need more backups.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Since you mentioned vanilla I might give this a try.
    I honestly can't predict whether you'd like Aura or not, N.Cal. I don't have a good handle on what kind of greens appeal to you, except I know you like No. 19 and don't like Le Canotier, There is a ton of vanilla in Aura, but also lots of orange blossom and mint. And of course it's powerfully synthetic, in that Mugler way -- it lasted over 14 hours on me.

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

I hated Aura so much. Cannot really tell why, maybe that minty vanilla aspect is so stinky to me? Only smelled it on a paper strip though, this one is not touching my skin anytime soon.

No.19 smelled quite nice to me on paper though.

Basenotes Plus

Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia

Bubblegum-y pear floral vibe. Little shampoo-ish. Don't really get that creamy feel that I'd get with something like Come L'Amore.

Edit: The pear aspect might resemble Ultra Male's as well.

All Hail King Kouros!

I honestly can't predict whether you'd like Aura or not, N.Cal. I don't have a good handle on what kind of greens appeal to you, except I know you like No. 19 and don't like Le Canotier, There is a ton of vanilla in Aura, but also lots of orange blossom and mint. And of course it's powerfully synthetic, in that Mugler way -- it lasted over 14 hours on me.
    I think you're waving the challenge flag at me. I'd say whether I'd like it or not will come down to a toss up.

Basenotes Plus

Marc Jacobs - Decadence

I smell... violet, banana, and I'm not sure.. like an oriental cinnamon/sweetness/very slight powder mixture? I like it. Can't say the same for the bottle... lol

Edit: Ummm, what. Apparently vetiver is one of the higher rated notes on fragrantica. I like.. don't pick that up at all?

All Hail King Kouros!

Eau de Gaga (don't judge). Nice, but fleeting. I wish lime rind was a more enduring note.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Couronne de Violette View Post
    Eau de Gaga (don't judge). Nice, but fleeting. I wish lime rind was a more enduring note.
    So it finishes with neither rind nor reason.

Basenotes Plus

So it finishes with neither rind nor reason.
    Can we expect this kind of behavior every time your wife goes out of town?

Basenotes Plus

Can we expect this kind of behavior every time your wife goes out of town?
    It persists when she's in town. It may be why she goes away.

Banned

This is suprisingly good. I got it for nothing (an extra freebie in a larger order) but I think it's worth a lot more than the $25 or whatever it sells for a 75ml.

A 4☆ review here.

https://boisdejasmin.com/2014/10/lad...me-review.html

Unsurprisingly, it was a lot more expensive when released at 55€. If you see it just buy it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I just sampled

Yves Saint Laurent Libre (2019)

05883057_zi.jpg

It's a pretty good lavender fragrance super uncommon in the women's market and very unisex in my opinion. Everyone should sample it. Not niche in delivery and definitely with some commercial edge, but nice.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Wow. I can't even remember the last time YSL put out a woman's scent that wasn't a flanker or some kind of privee thing. Maybe Saharienne?

This actually sounds rather pleasant.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Wow. I can't even remember the last time YSL put out a woman's scent that wasn't a flanker or some kind of privee thing. Maybe Saharienne?

This actually sounds rather pleasant.
    It strikes me as a near fougère kind of a thing with the ambrox base in place of oakmoss/evernyl.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

I was actually wanting to try it for months now. The stores that have it do not have testers of it out, so I was debating of maybe just buying the smallest bottle available just to test it out. I like the notes list and the presentation, and Lady Gaga herself is quite amusing to me.
    Now, after a generous Scarce's review, I probably should just go and sacrifice those hard earned 5 € to get that 15 ml bottle for testing purposes.

YSL Libre doesn't sound appealing to me as I'm not a lavender fan at all, but I'll at least smell it on paper when I can.

All I got from Aura was cooking vanilla, the sort used in baking. No thanks. LOL

So yesterday I had a little sniff fest.

By Kilian Rolling In Love, like the opening then it went a bit meh on me. It did have that note which for me 95% of Kilian's have and you just know it is a Kilian. I really liked the almond opening and if it had stayed I would have marked it as a yes.

Tom Ford Metallique I like much more and even asking the person with me which one they picked this. For a TF is was quite soft I did get the aldehyde opening and then a very pleasant orange note and this is from someone who does not like orange in fragrance.

The big winner for me was Byredo Slow Dance which I got to smell in my local SpaceNK. Soft myrrh warm tonka the ultimate cosy warm comforting you can wear in the colder months. Okay, it is not rule-breaking avant-garde but I just loved it.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Nirvana and James - White

I smell... rose with maybe something kind of indolic, I'm not sure. Maybe the musk?

All Hail King Kouros!

JD Jeffrey Dame Musc Neutre by Hugh Spencer, not yet in the directory

I like a lot of solo smells but I think musk, which I adore, serves me best as a base for other notes, usually florals as in the Narciso Rodriguez lines that I love.
    My sister wore only musk scents in her youth and this scent is particularly reminding me of her.
    The advert says that the perfumer used 4 different types of musk in this scent, which I'm sure is quite common actually. I learned right here on basenotes that 40% of the population is anosmic to one form of musk aromachemical or another, so a musk note has to have several different forms of it in use to make sure it gets smelled.

I have not learned the difference between the different musks I've read about, like the laundry musk, the white musk, the dirty musk. To me this scent smells like - musk. Not so strong or chemical-smelling as Kiehl's, but - musk. I can have some fun layering my other Dame oils with it.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Idylle eau de parfum. Lovely, like a sweeter, somewhat fruity Narciso Rodriguez for Her. From a decant but I can see a full bottle in my future.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Too inexpensive to pass up

Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black

Normally I stay away from vanilla scents, but since nearly everything has at least a little of the note in it, that's not really possible to avoid altogether. I don't mind if it rounds out a note I do like, like benzoin, tonka, or in this case sandalwood. I have a weakness for violet so this little perfume seemed safe enough blind buy at a low volume and low price.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast