Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

Bottega veneta parch palladiono 5

Was at crate and barrel with my wife. The store manager was helping us with the purchase and the fragrance he wore really suited him. After we left the store I went to the bottega store in the mall. It really is quite outstanding. I do have to sample it a few more times before I pull the trigger though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

Elizabeth and James Nirvana White

Just a simple little floral - peony, lily-of-the-valley, & musk, all notes that I love.

This is not for anyone looking for great perfumery. It's just a thing that is très jolie to wear.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

I remember trying Les Heures de Cartier when they first came out and not really loving them. But I smelled VII L’Heure Défendue today and really enjoyed it. Lots of chocolate and patchouli that smells like leather and iris too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I just sampled

Yves Saint Laurent Libre (2019)

Attachment 108862

It's a pretty good lavender fragrance super uncommon in the women's market and very unisex in my opinion. Everyone should sample it. Not niche in delivery and definitely with some commercial edge, but nice.
    This was a scrubber on me unfortunately. It did have a vague lavender note but mostly it was a synthetic chemical mess. Worse than Lancome Idole, which was not good but less unpleasant. Mon Guerlain works better on me in the department store lavender category.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    This was a scrubber on me unfortunately. It did have a vague lavender note but mostly it was a synthetic chemical mess. Worse than Lancome Idole, which was not good but less unpleasant. Mon Guerlain works better on me in the department store lavender category.
    I received a sample of libre today and am not quite sure what to make of it!

The opening reminds me of a Vitamin C drink sachet you dliute with water and it fizzes
    around my nose in the same way. When it settles down, it has a lavender, bubblegum vibe
    and the cassis calms the fizz down somewhat. I find it leans slightly towards the feminine side and
    comes off as a cool, airy scent with good throw and longevity.Nothing ground-breaking here but
    quite wearable.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

Hmm.. I'm actually surprised, I did try a new fragrance today. I thought I hadn't had any new ones left.
    It's Black Perfecto by La Petite Robe Noire Guerlain. Applied it in the morning, it's already 8pm here, I can still smell it.

As to Libre... maybe there's nothing too special about it, but it seems to me more interesting than new fragrances from other lux brands. And ... I love-love-love the bottle!

Freed from BN Institution

Memo Siwa - It's a vanilla floral. Focuses on vanilla and narcissus florals. I found this one difficult to want to wear.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Etro Gomma : lol added here as its "unisex"- its good stuff. Is it the Jasmine that give sit that little bit dirty smoky "mysterious" vibe or is that an Etro house note?!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I am about 3 and a half hours into one modest spray of Areej Le Doré War & Peace on the inside of my left wrist/forearm.

I decided to start with the most unwearable of the four samples in the set. It is very animalic and reminds me a little of the perfumes I once had from the furrier house of Weil - Secret of Venus and Antilope. This one is much starker though, with a barely there touch of rose and orris root and vetiver to round things out a little.

I deliberately went light on the trigger but I still feel like I'm enveloped in a bear coat when I get a whiff of it. It's pleasant but quite heavy. My cat neither winced nor sneered when I let her smell it like she usually does, just explored it a bit.

I’m testing War & Peace right now too. It is lovely and I’m getting a soft furry vetiver feel, kind of like Vero Profumo Onda. Despite the alarming description on Luckyscent/ALD, I find it very enjoyable and wearable, much less scary than I was led to believe.

Basenotes Plus

6CC376CA-589B-45C7-AA87-C89609F05E63.jpg

A bit "top heavy" for my liking; would've preferred this skewed more toward the base notes. But, quite pleasant nonetheless.

Basenotes Plus

Givenchy - L'Interdit EdP

Good opening! Nice and sweet, almost like a caramelized pear or something?

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Crepe de Chine a go right now both in perfume and EDT concentration. So far they are quite different in composition.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Hypnose Senses Lancome. How prosaic of me...

Basenotes Plus

Yves Saint Laurent - Black Opium EdP

Opening smells familiar, but it gets better after the initial blast. Coffee note is cool, I like that aspect. And there's like a near-sour berry smell to it also that I like.

Not bad. Potential to become better.

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I took a whiff of each of my new Elie Saab minis and the
    Essence No. 2 Gardenia stood out to me right away, so I have put some on, and while it hasn't been long, I have to say this is a very pleasant and worth while gardenia scent, and I seem to have a number of those. This is softer and more buoyant a gardenia than I am used to. It may be going a little soapy, but really, this is quite agreeable.

Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta and old batch Perles de Lalique.

^^^ Bottega Veneta & Cuir de Lancôme are the leathers I've smelled that I like. I'm not familiar with the Perles de Lalique.

Elie Saab Essence No. 1 Rose.

It didn't strike me as a rose soliflore although there are supposed to be four different roses in the formula. That's because it is really a rose vanilla. The addition of vanilla changes everything to my nose and not always for the better. Tania Sanchez described this as Coca-cola Rose but when I first put it on I thought Chanel Coco Rose. It was only when I went outside in the cold air that I got the Coke part. I think men could easily wear this.

Elie Saab Essence No. 6 Vetiver
    and
    Elie Saab Essence No. 7 Neroli are both straight up soliflores, simple, clean, fresh, without soapiness, neither strong nor weak longevity or sillage. Francis Kurkdijian was the nose for the whole Essence line.

Hermès Twilly Eau Poivrée shares no scent profile with the original Twilly and is like it only in style. In spite of the brutal reviews it is getting on the other site, I like it - simple isn't always bad - balance accounts for a lot. It appears that I like pink peppercorn and rose together as I was reminded of Galimard Rose Baies Roses, another simple scent I enjoyed.

Sonoma Scent Studio Nostalgie

Old school floral aldehydic in a similar style to my Guerlains - Chant d'Aromes and Nahema. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Elie Saab Essence No. 6 Vetiver
    and
    Elie Saab Essence No. 7 Neroli are both straight up soliflores, simple, clean, fresh, without soapiness, neither strong nor weak longevity or sillage. Francis Kurkdijian was the nose for the whole Essence line.
    Wasn't impressed by either when I sampled it from a pass earlier in the year.

Sonoma Scent Studio Rose Volupté on one arm and Velvet Rose on the other

Velvet Rose lives up to its name is the more rose prominent of the two.
    The opening of Rose Volupté was odd and oily to me. I tried to reaply it and dropped the vial all over the place but I think this was a pass for me anyway.

Sonoma Scent Studio Voile de Violette - a woody violet rose. So pretty. Really enjoying this one.

Sonoma Scent Studio Ambre Noir - very rich, so much so that the amber is such a minor part of the complexity of notes that one wonders why it was even named an amber. I find it more incensey.

Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist - Yeah, it smells like carrot, all right. It is after all meant to be dark and mysterious, moody and stark. It's not particularly wearable for, say, an every day scent. It's more like wearing art.

Frederic Malle Iris Poudre This scent is much closer to my personal style. The iris isn't as prominent in it as it is in Iris Silver Mist. There is, however, something going on in the drydown that isn't working for me - not sure yet what it is.

I've always had a tough time with iris/orris root, trying to identify it and get a good read on it. I almost gave up on it as a note I liked until I got my nose on a couple of Armani Privés where it predominates. Ombre et Lumière and especially La Femme Nacre are my reference irises now.

Basenotes Plus

Sisley - Soir d'Orient

Different than the usual suspects, but not captivating enough. I could see this being interesting when smelling the sillage from a passerby, but smelling it up close while wearing it gives a kind of hairspray vibe. Not a heavy frag, but has a darker feel.

All Hail King Kouros!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4