Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 48
  1. #1
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,552

    Default Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I’m sampling current versions of Chanel Antaeus and Egoiste this morning. They’re just ok. They’re better than most retail perfumes, but they’re not something I would buy, although I love the original versions. Being used to the originals, the changes are too much for me. Egoiste is in better shape than Antaeus.

    7595FC8C-EC94-4F5D-BD08-E35DEDEAC48A.jpg

    Egoiste still mostly smells like itself. Antaeus is like a new fragrance. At best it’s Antaeus Light.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    286,784

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    If some thing happened to either of the old ones I have in my collection, I'd have no qualms of replacing them with these.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    38,484

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I have to say that I don't like Egoiste at all when it comes to the modern formulation. I own a 50ml decant of the current (2014) formulation and its really hard to wear. Very watered down, not smooth, and it really doesn't effect like the original. Also owning a 50ml decant of the modern Antaeus, it's a little bit better in terms of that it's more versatile than the original/ earlier formulations. Nonetheless vintage Antaeus is a lot better compared to what's available today.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  4. #4

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Older formulas of Antaeus (and its YSL counterpart) definitely conjure up the 1980s which unfortunately newer Antaeus doesn’t. Glad to have both as I enjoy them in different ways. The newer formulation could be considered a non-animalic flanker.

    Egoiste on the other I find to be overall better in its original incarnation. The sandalwood and ambrette is just sublime. The newer one is still very wearable though. Love the concentree too.

    Guess I prefer Jacques era Chanel over Olivier’s re/compositions. Sorry Olivier.

    I’ve often pondered that sometimes its not just about having those classic ingredients in the fragrance but also the absence of newer aromachemicals not available at the time.

  5. #5
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    38,484

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Older formulas of Antaeus (and its YSL counterpart) definitely conjure up the 1980s which unfortunately newer Antaeus doesn’t. Glad to have both as I enjoy them in different ways. The newer formulation could be considered a non-animalic flanker.

    Egoiste on the other I find to be overall better in its original incarnation. The sandalwood and ambrette is just sublime. The newer one is still very wearable though. Love the concentree too.
    Do you prefer the Concentree over the vintage EDT or vice versa? I actually enjoy the EDT over the Concentree and Bois Noir.

    On a side note, I find Antaeus Sport and vintage Antaeus nearly identical.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  6. #6
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,552

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I would wear current Egoiste if I had a bottle. I used to think I’d like a bottle of current Antaeus, but I don’t think I would use it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    It's probably a lot easier to enjoy these if you were never around to witness the original versions in their heyday or if you weren't into fragrances during that time.

    I wasn't, and I love both of these. They're easily some of the more complex, quality designers on the market and I think they smell great. But I'd probably have a different perspective if I had come up in a different era.

    FWIW, I actually prefer the current version of Antaeus to the vintage--as it feels less demanding and overpowering, with much less castoreum, and ultimately easier for me to wear. And it still feels complex and rich to me. But again, this perception has a lot do with the era in which my "fragrance journey" has taken place.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

  8. #8
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    38,484

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I would wear current Egoiste if I had a bottle. I used to think I’d like a bottle of current Antaeus, but I don’t think I would use it.
    I'm thinking of getting rid of mine since I never wear it. I've fully stocked up on several bottles of the vintage juice so I'm good for the long term.

    I probably will get rid of Antaeus and Pour Monsieur EDT as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  9. #9

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Do you prefer the Concentree over the vintage EDT or vice versa? I actually enjoy the EDT over the Concentree and Bois Noir.

    On a side note, I find Antaeus Sport and vintage Antaeus nearly identical.
    I haven’t tried Bois Noir so unfortunately I can’t compare the others to that. Of the original EDT and Concentree its close but I prefer the composition of the Cologne Concentree. It just has something my nose enjoys more . Maybe slightly spicier or a slightly more pronounced citrus in the mix.

  10. #10
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    38,484

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's probably a lot easier to enjoy these if you were never around to witness the original versions in their heyday or if you weren't into fragrances during that time.

    I wasn't, and I love both of these. They're easily some of the more complex, quality designers on the market and I think they smell great. But I'd probably have a different perspective if I had come up in a different era.

    FWIW, I actually prefer the current version of Antaeus to the vintage--as it feels less demanding and overpowering, with much less castoreum, and ultimately easier for me to wear. And it still feels complex and rich to me. But again, this perception has a lot do with the era in which my "fragrance journey" has taken place.
    Perhaps its the unsatisfication with what is currently available today? I'm finding this the case for myself as current formulations or new releases rarely inspire me.

    You do bring a valid point. Another perspective would be you don't appreciate the fragrances until they are truly gone. Maybe when the Chanels in their original formulations were a dime and dozen individuals didn't think to highly about them let alone the quality of the juice. Sometimes I like to think that I got into fragrances in the wrong time period, my time should have been 20 years ago, 30 years ago. What say you?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  11. #11

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I grabbed a 2018 bottle of Antaeus and thought, it was really nice. Longevity above 8 hours easily.
    But perhaps the Chanel for the US market isn't the same level as in Europe.

  12. #12
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    38,484

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I haven’t tried Bois Noir so unfortunately I can’t compare the others to that. Of the original EDT and Concentree its close but I prefer the composition of the Cologne Concentree. It just has something my nose enjoys more . Maybe slightly spicier or a slightly more pronounced citrus in the mix.

    There's a more pronounced spice accord in the Cologne Concentree but at the dry down they're pretty much at par with one another.

    You know I'm a bit suspicious with one of my Egoiste EDT 'New York/Paris' bottle. There's a ton of spice cinnamon and tobacco notes in the opening, it's almost as potent as the Cologne Concentree. My other Egoiste 'Paris' EDT bottles they're more softer and more oriental based, lots of vanilla in them. I find that quite interesting in comparison.

    I wonder if that makes 'New York' bottles highly sought out as they smell great but they're harder to find.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  13. #13

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Cannot vouch for the quality and performance of current formulation Antaeus-this time, not due to the inexperience but quite on the contrary, due to having tested too many recent formulations of this one too frequently to keep track which formulation performs better and showcases its notes in a more complex way.

    However, did test the current or, at least, recent formulation (whatever was in stock a few weeks/months ago) of Egoiste in a regular stationary fragrance store lately and having to admit that it still smelled better than roughly 50-60% of the male fragrances available for testing, some of whom niche costing 2-3 times as much per bottle, while its performance was also decent.

  14. #14
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    286,784

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I grabbed a 2018 bottle of Antaeus and thought, it was really nice. Longevity above 8 hours easily.
    Congrats! Glad you enjoyed it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I’m sampling current versions of Chanel Antaeus and Egoiste this morning. They’re just ok. They’re better than most retail perfumes, but they’re not something I would buy, although I love the original versions. Being used to the originals, the changes are too much for me. Egoiste is in better shape than Antaeus.

    7595FC8C-EC94-4F5D-BD08-E35DEDEAC48A.jpg

    Egoiste still mostly smells like itself. Antaeus is like a new fragrance. At best it’s Antaeus Light.
    Couldn't agree more, except I think that Antaeus is at least in somewhat better shape than the current Egoiste, although it now smells incredibly similar to Bogart Signature and the version of Cartier Santos that was being produced a few years ago. In fact, I would honestly recommend that people save their money and buy a bottle of Bogart Signature if they like the smell of what is being sold as Antaeus now because they're incredibly similar. Egoiste is a complete disaster. Just look at the juice. Has no color at all. It's lost all of it's depth and complexity. What makes this so sad is that we need look no further than Dior to see that classics can still be reformulated well, as they've done with Fahrenheit, the Dior Homme line, and Jules. It's as if Chanel doesn't even care. The current formulations of the entire Allure Homme line are all awful too.

    Thankfully, neither of these two have become super expensive in their vintage forms if you have the time and patience to look on eBay. I've gotten around 58ml of vintage Antaeus in the form of three 19ml minis I've bought over the past couple of years for around $90 total which is a fair price in my opinion. And you can still find mid 90's Egoiste for a steal from time to time.
    Currently wearing: Pasha by Cartier

  16. #16

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I too think the vintage Antaeus is better than the current juice, although the current one is a staple in my current rotation. Actually it’s on sale right now on Frgrancenet at bargain bin prices...run don’t walk!

  17. #17
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    38,484

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, except I think that Antaeus is at least in somewhat better shape than the current Egoiste, although it now smells incredibly similar to Bogart Signature and the version of Cartier Santos that was being produced a few years ago. In fact, I would honestly recommend that people save their money and buy a bottle of Bogart Signature if they like the smell of what is being sold as Antaeus now because they're incredibly similar. Egoiste is a complete disaster. Just look at the juice. Has no color at all. It's lost all of it's depth and complexity. What makes this so sad is that we need look no further than Dior to see that classics can still be reformulated well, as they've done with Fahrenheit, the Dior Homme line, and Jules. It's as if Chanel doesn't even care. The current formulations of the entire Allure Homme line are all awful too.

    Thankfully, neither of these two have become super expensive in their vintage forms if you have the time and patience to look on eBay. I've gotten around 58ml of vintage Antaeus in the form of three 19ml minis I've bought over the past couple of years for around $90 total which is a fair price in my opinion. And you can still find mid 90's Egoiste for a steal from time to time.
    My recent 1990 75ml splash bottle I got for $85 and it was new. I could've turned down that bottle as I already have so much juice but the year of the bottle wasn't something that I could pass on.

    The recent Allure Homme lineup formulation are a bit disappointing. My favorite being the Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDT cologne concentration. It's getting harder and more expensive to secure these bottles. I've never smelled the original formulation of Allure Homme.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  18. #18

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by common scents View Post
    I too think the vintage Antaeus is better than the current juice, although the current one is a staple in my current rotation. Actually it’s on sale right now on Frgrancenet at bargain bin prices...run don’t walk!
    That an incredible price, thanks for the heads up.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    For me, I guess it is a bit of a blessing never having smelled vintages of either of these. I have both current versions and love wearing both, and yes still much better than a majority of masculine designers out there today.
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

  20. #20

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Man View Post
    For me, I guess it is a bit of a blessing never having smelled vintages of either of these. I have both current versions and love wearing both, and yes still much better than a majority of masculine designers out there today.
    I think the same. It is why I do not like buying vintages. The current version is fantastic.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I own both older and the newest versions of both of these and although i prefer the dated ones i still find the modern excellent.
    #wackpack
    Currently wearing: Rouge Hermès by Hermès

  22. #22
    Dependent NickZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,632
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by common scents View Post
    I too think the vintage Antaeus is better than the current juice, although the current one is a staple in my current rotation. Actually it’s on sale right now on Frgrancenet at bargain bin prices...run don’t walk!
    Nice pick up, hard to argue against modern formulation Antaeus at that price! Personally I am a fan of both fragrances in their current state.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

  23. #23

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Own Antaeus and love it; don't care for Ëgoiste
    Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

  24. #24
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    20,347

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I'm happy with the current versions. I've tried a lot of Egoiste from early 2000s, and I'm happy with the stuff out there.

    If I could go back in time, buying perfumes would be way down the bucket list; apart from perhaps a bottle of Patou pour Homme.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

    Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

  25. #25
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,758
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I'm nowhere near as extreme in my views about vintage versus current, but I definitely notice a difference between older and newer Antaeus. Égoïste I find pleasurable in any format I've tried thus far (my bottle is tall 100ml spray), but I admit performance advantages with older. How much of that is maceration versus intent isn't for me to say because I don't have the expertise to tell.
    oh look, I have a signature

  26. #26
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,552

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    I’m so impressed by the energy in the male fragrance forum. Nice posting, lads.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Egoiste is broken.
    MY UK SPLITS (2019): HERE

  28. #28
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,552

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Egoiste is broken.
    It has definitely gone pale. Based on today’s testing, though, it easily did better for me than Antaeus, and is truer to the original.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    From time to time I check out Antaeus in stores. It is just too thick and old school for me. I wonder if the vintage is easier to wear or if it is even richer.

    I have vintage Egoist and that is enjoyable. Not something I wear for office but it is nice!
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

  30. #30
    Dependent Slayerized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,875

    Default Re: Current Antaeus and Egoiste

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I’m sampling current versions of Chanel Antaeus and Egoiste this morning. They’re just ok. They’re better than most retail perfumes, but they’re not something I would buy, although I love the original versions. Being used to the originals, the changes are too much for me. Egoiste is in better shape than Antaeus.

    7595FC8C-EC94-4F5D-BD08-E35DEDEAC48A.jpg

    Egoiste still mostly smells like itself. Antaeus is like a new fragrance. At best it’s Antaeus Light.

    Agree 100%!
    The first version of Egoiste is so much deeper than last two formulations and smells way more natural. Got a 120ml splash version which is a real gem imo.
    The current Antaeus lacks all it was once famous for; castoreum, beeswax and power. Current formulation is very weak and almost lacks these ingredients completely imo.
    Few weeks ago I got hold of an old tester that is about 15-19 years old which smells heavenly and lasts!
    My Top '11' :

    - Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude




Similar Threads

  1. Current Kouros vs Current Antaeus
    By Jung in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 16th November 2018, 01:20 PM
  2. Chanel Antaeus, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste
    By exploretoi in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th June 2018, 02:11 PM
  3. Current Formulas.....Chanel Egoiste or Chanel Antaeus? Which Do You Prefer?
    By Man Of The World in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 4th January 2018, 07:54 PM
  4. Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, Pour Monsieur and Antaeus
    By Neovius in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 18th December 2015, 11:37 AM
  5. Current Santos vs current Antaeus
    By Oslo-Fjord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30th December 2014, 02:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000