Code of Conduct

Thread: Armaf

Default Armaf

Bored of my current collection I blind bought 5 frags from Armaf. I had the Club de nuit intense man before and although it was good, I've never been a massive Aventus fan.

These on the other hand, wow I can't believe what you get for the money. I can NEVER smell any of my own fragrances on myself, even if I over spray. I can with these though! Massively in love, mostly because they are dirt cheap and smell great.

I got:

Voyage
    Ventana
    Signature Night
    Niche Platinum
    Legesi

I'm particularly pleased with the Legesi as I've always been a big fan of Egoiste Platinum.

Strange how the little things can put you in a good mood for the weekend ahead.

Default Re: Armaf

I only have cdni from them and am happy for the price point indeed
    Currently wearing: Icon Racing by Dunhill

I got a 10ml decant of Legesi and if I did not have back up bottles of CPE plus a bottle of Franck Oliier Eau de Passion(decent CPE clone) I'd be sure to order a bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Tres Nuit is my favorite from the line as I am a HUGE fan of Green Irish Tweed!
    Current Favorites:
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    MKF Aqua Universalis Forte
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 extrait
    Chanel Bleu Dr Chanel Eau de Parfum
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum
    Pure Distance M
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Ombre Leather
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Le labo Poivre 23

"Waste time wondering which "cologne" pulls better, and your genes will spread only by accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job"
    Luca Turin

Yes we are living in the age of the "Revenge of the Cheapos." LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes we are living in the age of the "Revenge of the Cheapos." LOL.
    I've tested some Armafs and they just didn't do it for me.
    Imho qualitywise you simply get what you pay for.

I wouldn't have any problem to distinguish between CDNIM vs. Aventus, Ventana vs. Sauvage, Tres Nuit vs. GIT, Craze vs. Pegasus etc.. when blind sniffing them. I've done those tests already.

I would rather buy something from Rasasi or Ajmal. They offer better quality and don't have such tacky bottles.

I have four Armaf fragrances. In order of favorite to least favorite:

Club de Nuit Intense Woman (TF Noir de Noir)
    Craze (PdM Pegasus)
    Club de Nuit Woman (Chanel CoCo Mademoiselle)
    Club de Nuit Intense Man (Aventus)

I have smelled Tres Nuit, and I know it has its fans, but IMO it smelled like Desitin, the diaper rash cream for babies. Needless to say, it was a hard pass for me.

I own some of them.

Love:
    CDNIM
    Hunter
    Ventana
    Voyage Blue
    De La Marque Brune
    Craze

Like:
    Tres Nuit
    Le Parfiat
    El Cielo
    Blue Homme

Dislike:
    CDNIW
    Club Blanche

Hate:
    Italiano Uomo

Arriving:
    Legesi
    CDNM

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I've tested some Armafs and they just didn't do it for me.
    Imho qualitywise you simply get what you pay for.

I wouldn't have any problem to distinguish between CDNIM vs. Aventus
    Seriously. The base of CDNI is mostly just norlimbanol. It's junk. I'm blown away by the idea that people think it smells like Aventus... but I have to remind myself that most people only seem to care about top notes. It's as if they can't even smell the rest. The opening of CDNI does kind of smell like Aventus, but holy cow, that base is trash. Anybody who can't smell the difference really shouldn't be spending much on fragrances because they don't have the nose for it. I apologize if that's harsh, but it's true.

I don't mean to suggest that all clones are bad though. I think older fragrances in particular are easier to clone well. GIT and SMW fall into that category. I've smelled excellent clones of both... but I have yet to smell an Aventus clone that doesn't smell awful - and I'm not an Aventus fanboy. If I found a quality clone of it, I'd happily say so.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Seriously. The base of CDNI is mostly just norlimbanol. It's junk. I'm blown away by the idea that people think it smells like Aventus... but I have to remind myself that most people only seem to care about top notes. It's as if they can't even smell the rest. The opening of CDNI does kind of smell like Aventus, but holy cow, that base is trash. Anybody who can't smell the difference really shouldn't be spending much on fragrances because they don't have the nose for it. I apologize if that's harsh, but it's true.

I don't mean to suggest that all clones are bad though. I think older fragrances in particular are easier to clone well. GIT and SMW fall into that category. I've smelled excellent clones of both... but I have yet to smell an Aventus clone that doesn't smell awful - and I'm not an Aventus fanboy. If I found a quality clone of it, I'd happily say so.
    I think norlimbanol is just one of those things that most people are fine with (hence it being used so much) and some people aren't. Not sure it reflects badly on the nose of someone who isn't bothered by it. Personally, I have no strong feeling either way.

On topic, I have three from the "Armaf Niche" line: Black Onyx, Platinum and White Diamond. All blind buys from back in the day and the quality is acceptable - no idea how they compare in terms of quality to the "regular" stuff, though. Black Onyx is a cardamom bomb (in a good way!), Platinum is a cedar-y perfume that's a very easy reach and White Diamond is like Lacoste White on steroids.

Think I paid about 20 quid each for these. I do quite enjoy wearing all of them but not sure I would replace any of them but that's more to do with my approach to my wardrobe now more than a reflection on the perfumes themselves.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I sampled this too and in my opinion, Insurrection II was a better clone (but still meh)
    oh look, I have a signature

If you like cheapies like ARMAF, you NEED to check out Montagne Parfums. Much higher quality, doesn't smell cheap/synthetic like ARMAF. $40 for 50ml, sometimes there's 10% off coupons so that brings it down to $36 shipped for some high quality juices.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    I think norlimbanol is just one of those things that most people are fine with...
    But even if you're fine with it... even if you don't mind the harsh blatantly chemical bone dry abrasive smell of it... it smells absolutely nothing like anything used in Aventus.

Like I said, I think most people only pay attention to top notes. Even among fragrance enthusiasts, so many only seem able to decipher an opening blast & maybe the first few minutes that follow. I don't get it.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

But even if you're fine with it... even if you don't mind the harsh blatantly chemical bone dry abrasive smell of it... it smells absolutely nothing like anything used in Aventus.

Like I said, I think most people only pay attention to top notes. Even among fragrance enthusiasts, so many only seem able to decipher an opening blast & maybe the first few minutes that follow. I don't get it.
    I didn't click with Aventus so haven't smelt it enough to comment. The base is the usual Creed ambroxan-masquerading-as-ambergris, right? If so then I can see why the clones smell different in the base - maybe ambrosian is more expensive? Because I'm not really into Aventus I haven't smelt the clones of it, with the exception of Zara's Vibrant Leather - I picked up 15ml on a whim and it's an ok-for-the-price kind of perfume. I'll end up passing it on to my bestie probably who will enjoy it more than me.

I think most people pay attention to the heart notes but with the added sparkle of the opening which might influence them. No one buys Dior Homme for the cardamom in the opening, do they? But the zing it adds might help influence a purchase, I don't know. It's great to have a quality base, I agree, because it's good to have a journey from open to close of similar quality. But it's the heart notes that catch most people's eye (nose!) and what you recognise as smelling great or otherwise on someone else, at least for me.

Glad your enjoying em!
    Still to get my nose on anything from this house
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Basenotes Plus

I had to get rid of Tres Nuit. It did smell good, but I can;'t stand that triangle bottle. It took up the space of like three bottles and threw off the feng shui of my lineup.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I had to get rid of Tres Nuit. It did smell good, but I can;'t stand that triangle bottle. It took up the space of like three bottles and threw off the feng shui of my lineup.
    my bottle of CDNI was similarly banished from my fragrance cabinet due to its awkward and ugly bottle throwing off my collections' feng shui lol

Also, I hate that fragrance. I am constantly baffled when people compare it favorably to Aventus. It smells almost nothing like aventus, it smells cheap, shrill, almost offensive, where Aventus is rich and deep and beautiful.