Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hard to describe scents that are a bit 'futuristic' but still mass pleasing and enjoyable

Right, odd title I know.

However, one of the things I enjoy the most about designer fragrances is how unnatural they smell at times. Particularly when they 'smash' genres and change the shape of the market. Completely going for some aromachemical which just blows way anything you'll smell in nature.

Now, those chemicals might not be 'better' than natural elements, or their synthetic approximations. In fact, some will hate them. But in all honesty, I enjoy 'trashy' fragrances at times - cheaper, sporty-fresh, totally synthetic approximations of more expensive designers. Something that's been made to be both safe for the masses and yet still appealing, primarily to women. Now, there's more to fragrance than this - I get it, yeah yeah yeah...but, I'd love to try a few more fragrances in this sort of mould, and feel like I lack the technical knowledge to describe aromachemicals, so I'll take an impressionistic route to describing what I mean.

The obvious example here is Dior's Sauvage. My initial impression was literally to recoil - having heard so much about it, I assumed it would be something like a mature sporty scent. Nope. It's almost impossibe to describe to someone who isn't a fragrance enthusiast. Citrus? Nope, not for me. It's barely worth mentioning. Metallic? Getting there, for sure. Futuristic, weird, loud and bright, and sexy after you get used to the initial shock? Well, that's how I'd try and describe it.

Another was Narciso Bleu Noir EDP. Not the EDT, that had way too much cardamom and more complexity than the EDP. But the EDP has this slightly futuristic artificial vibe to it that is probably aided by the musk, but is definitely separate to it.

I'm trying to think of others. I suppose anything like YSL Y EDP is a decent reference as well, but that's too sweet and fake-fruity, rather than say 'hard-to-describe' freshness. I suppose lots of aquatics come under this category as well, but maybe a bit dated and/or not distinct enough from the aforementioned attempt to capture 'real' notes.

No idea if I've described this well but would love to hear suggestions if anyone can think of anything in this 'category' or knows the general vibe I'm trying to describe? I'd imagine this is solely a designer thing, or maybe something like Parfum de Marly as a niche outlier. Although 'futuristic' is a decent description to me, because these scents feel synthetic and unnatural in the way any new technology does, they're also 'sexy' in that generic sense as well. I'd love something that could be a decent 'bet' to be worn around women. I like YSL Y EDP but I already feel a bit too old for it in my late 20s, and I'm wondering if there's anything out there in the post-Sauvage, dark blue world that does what I'm hoping for?

Default Re: Hard to describe scents that are a bit 'futuristic' but still mass pleasing and enjoyable

Just a follow up - it's not just the ambroxan in Sauvage I'm talking, although obviousy that's a major part. I like the way ambroxan is used in Explorer, but overall, it still smells quite 'real', obviously trying to go down the Aventus clone route. It's the whole approach to a fragrance - something that's dominated by this 'weirdness' with little to no 'natural' quality. Bleu de Chanel doesn't really do it, if anyone thought that maybe any/all dark blues are appropriate.

Basically, the first time I tried NR Bleu Noir EDP, it felt like something Neo from the Matrix would wear. Yeah, a late 90s idea of the future, but still futuristic enough to feel a bit 'different' in today's world. On subsequent wears I got more musk than I'd like, and got rid of my bottle as I want to keep the collection quite small. But it's that 'oh wow, what's this sensation' I'm looking for, really. Same thing I got with Sauvage - something synthetic and different.

Default Re: Hard to describe scents that are a bit 'futuristic' but still mass pleasing and enjoyable

Perhaps Comme Des Garcons 2 (not 2 man) This one definitely has a futuristic, somewhat synthetic vibe and very wearable in my opinion.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I'd say Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent.

Freed from BN Institution

One that comes to mind would be Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, the creamy lemony accord really stands out amongst other similar scents.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Lancome Santal perhaps for me would fit the designer description of "futuristic and unorthodox"
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Not sure what you’re asking but I’ll say Kenzo Power

Eau Radieuse

Basenotes Plus

I prefer perfumes with a high percentage of naturals.

one i've gotten into lately - 'Almost Transparent Blue' from A Lab on Fire. it's synthetic and minimal but the use of aldehydes to create a clinical, refreshing feel with a zesty, candied citrus (lime) is unique to my nose as well as mass appealing. as one Fragrantica contributor put it:

'With so many citrus scents out there, it's hard to find one that really stands out from the rest. I have several in my collection and they're all great for Spring and Summer, but none have wow'd me until now. Transparent Blue is unique, both citrusy and fresh, but then, it slowly becomes warm and inviting. It also manages to have a slightly clean, cool, almost metallic-ness to it, that makes it very modern as well.

I made a joke about Givenchy "Pi Neo"in my review of it, that Neo from the Matrix wouldn't wear that fragrance, but if I had to recommend one to him, then Lab on Fire "Transparent Blue" would be the one I'd suggest.'
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    one i've gotten into lately - 'Almost Transparent Blue' from A Lab on Fire. it's synthetic and minimal but the use of aldehydes to create a clinical, refreshing feel with a zesty, candied citrus (lime) is unique to my nose as well as mass appealing. as one Fragrantica contributor put it:

'With so many citrus scents out there, it's hard to find one that really stands out from the rest. I have several in my collection and they're all great for Spring and Summer, but none have wow'd me until now. Transparent Blue is unique, both citrusy and fresh, but then, it slowly becomes warm and inviting. It also manages to have a slightly clean, cool, almost metallic-ness to it, that makes it very modern as well.

I made a joke about Givenchy "Pi Neo"in my review of it, that Neo from the Matrix wouldn't wear that fragrance, but if I had to recommend one to him, then Lab on Fire "Transparent Blue" would be the one I'd suggest.'

Good choice. It fits the thread topic to a tee and it’s also a nice fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Good choice. It fits the thread topic to a tee and it’s also a nice fragrance.
    also saw your comments on it surprised it doesn't get more attention as it's quite unique but at the same time fun and mass appealing. you don't see many citrus/fresh scents with lime as the main player, especially in this type of 'fizzy' composition. great in the heat.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Right, odd title I know.

However, one of the things I enjoy the most about designer fragrances is how unnatural they smell at times. Particularly when they 'smash' genres and change the shape of the market. Completely going for some aromachemical which just blows way anything you'll smell in nature.

Now, those chemicals might not be 'better' than natural elements, or their synthetic approximations. In fact, some will hate them. But in all honesty, I enjoy 'trashy' fragrances at times - cheaper, sporty-fresh, totally synthetic approximations of more expensive designers. Something that's been made to be both safe for the masses and yet still appealing, primarily to women. Now, there's more to fragrance than this - I get it, yeah yeah yeah...but, I'd love to try a few more fragrances in this sort of mould, and feel like I lack the technical knowledge to describe aromachemicals, so I'll take an impressionistic route to describing what I mean.

The obvious example here is Dior's Sauvage. My initial impression was literally to recoil - having heard so much about it, I assumed it would be something like a mature sporty scent. Nope. It's almost impossibe to describe to someone who isn't a fragrance enthusiast. Citrus? Nope, not for me. It's barely worth mentioning. Metallic? Getting there, for sure. Futuristic, weird, loud and bright, and sexy after you get used to the initial shock? Well, that's how I'd try and describe it.

Another was Narciso Bleu Noir EDP. Not the EDT, that had way too much cardamom and more complexity than the EDP. But the EDP has this slightly futuristic artificial vibe to it that is probably aided by the musk, but is definitely separate to it.

I'm trying to think of others. I suppose anything like YSL Y EDP is a decent reference as well, but that's too sweet and fake-fruity, rather than say 'hard-to-describe' freshness. I suppose lots of aquatics come under this category as well, but maybe a bit dated and/or not distinct enough from the aforementioned attempt to capture 'real' notes.

No idea if I've described this well but would love to hear suggestions if anyone can think of anything in this 'category' or knows the general vibe I'm trying to describe? I'd imagine this is solely a designer thing, or maybe something like Parfum de Marly as a niche outlier. Although 'futuristic' is a decent description to me, because these scents feel synthetic and unnatural in the way any new technology does, they're also 'sexy' in that generic sense as well. I'd love something that could be a decent 'bet' to be worn around women. I like YSL Y EDP but I already feel a bit too old for it in my late 20s, and I'm wondering if there's anything out there in the post-Sauvage, dark blue world that does what I'm hoping for?
    Not necessarily dark-blue, but you would do well to try a bunch of perfumes from Comme des Garçons. I'd suggest Odeur 71.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    And how is this relevant to the OP or the thread?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I could literally hear transcontinental lockjaw in this reply. Good jorb.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    And how is this relevant to the OP or the thread?

To answer OP:

I think you'd love the house of Calvin Klein. Synthetic futurism has literally been their stock and trade since the 90's, and there are dozens of things they make which fit your criteria.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules
    Currently wearing: Anice by Etro

Possibly also most of the AMen flankers of recent release, including the limited edition ones- possibly at a crossover between being futuristic and even more gourmand than their initial, regular Amen counterpart while (their limited editions included) still being popular and enjoyable.

Maybe also Zara White Tag EDP among the even more affordable options.
    Currently wearing: Norrland by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules
    Or their whole Escentric line, basically. It corresponds to their Molecule line (which is based on one aromachemical only) , but adds embellishment by adding more ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    also saw your comments on it surprised it doesn't get more attention as it's quite unique but at the same time fun and mass appealing. you don't see many citrus/fresh scents with lime as the main player, especially in this type of 'fizzy' composition. great in the heat.
    Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. A Lab On Fire, as a house in general, doesn't seem to get a lot of respect around here. They had a pretty good run several years ago with ATB, Paris*LA, Liquidnight, and a few others, They really began to take on a house aesthetic/style that I enjoyed--very modern smelling, synthetic-but-good, and kind of daring fragrances. But then they sort of went off track with a number of mild, just okay releases. I don't know if I have too much faith in them to restore the house, but we'll see...

Basenotes Plus

I started thinking more about this. It’s an interesting topic. Obviously there are a lot of cheapies that are 100% synthetic but most of them use accords and ACs that smell like “real” things.

But amongst my wardrobe I would say Kouros.

It’s an abstract scent to me. I can’t say it smells like this or that. Vintage Kouros especially is a bit “pissy” in one dimension, but what is it really? I find it a masterpiece of abstraction that conveys masculinity and is delicious to me, and yet very very hard to pin down.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Not necessarily dark-blue, but you would do well to try a bunch of perfumes from Comme des Garçons. I'd suggest Odeur 71.
    my answer as well, even though in the end the smell of a burnt out lamp gets on my nerves! I will end up giving the half bottle to the man who cleans up my building, the recipient of many half bottles!

Curve, its flankers and Liz Claiborne men's fragrances in general are great at creating abstract smells predating Sauvage for couple of decades
    Currently wearing: Summer Night by Canali

Givenchy's Xeryus Rouge was the first thing that I thought of. Still smells as 'out of time' as it did back in the mid-90s when it came out. The Dreamer by Versace is another one like that, as is Kenzo Jungle Homme. Thinking more about it, I would also say either Dior Bois d'Argent or VC&A Bois d'Iris, which are definitely sisters by different misters. Fahrenheit Absolute would probably fit the bill if it were still around although maybe as not mass-pleasing as the ones above which have all been received well by others over the years on me.

Calvin Klein One came to mind first.

Thanks, I don't think I've convey what I meant very well - because CK One isn't what I mean.

Quite a hard thing to convey, really. Very much a personal sense of what is 'unnatural' and 'futuristic'. Perhaps just 'synthetic with no or few 'real ingredient' inspirations in it'. So something like Sauvage, where the spice and citrus is very much buried under the metallic weirdness of ambroxan.

I dunno, this is probably one where I can find something relatively easily by just sampling designers from the last 20 years. Not niche enough to really worry about and ask for speifics on here, but thanks for suggestions.

I don't know if you connect with this language or not, but I've sometimes described synthy-abstract fragrances with the term "biomechanical" or "alien."
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

I think we're probably talking about similar things, yeah. But I'm perhaps not looking for something too abstract - not in the sense of some of the weirder CdG scents that smell like petrol or whatever. Or even something niche that is hard to really describe at all. But biochemical isn't a bad way of describing it, you're right. Just something so very fake and synthetic that it's impossible to say it smells like anything natural. At least for the main note/notes.

I would say HdP - This is not a Blue Bottle

Smells like an early morning fog along a river in an industrial city. Very synthetic, chemical, and a bit futuristic to my nose.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Azzaro Chrome. Worn by Optimus Prime no less.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Possibly also most of the AMen flankers of recent release, including the limited edition ones- possibly at a crossover between being futuristic and even more gourmand than their initial, regular Amen counterpart while (their limited editions included) still being popular and enjoyable.

Maybe also Zara White Tag EDP among the even more affordable options.
    Yes, was thinking B*Men specifically when I read the thread title.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner