Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Default Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Kinda warmed up to these recently, as the temperatures rise,they provide an excellent refreshment - what are they citrus chypre? Whatever lol anyway, I'm looking for 'next' - enjoyed Chanel PM, yet it lasts little and is subtle. Worth - versatile and beautiful certainly - but not as refreshing in warm weather. Dunhill - again pretty clean tidy, zero nonsense. Thinking over these - they DO all have an excellent citrus element that lasts throughout.

    What do you recommend to sample next - something that doesn't stray far from Chanel PM - but has more power/longevity?
    YSL Pour Homme?
    Armani Eau Pour Homme?


    "Tawk to meh"
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  2. #2
    Dependent NickZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,561
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    The fact that you say Chanel pour Monsieur does not last but has a citrus element throughout suggests you are not spraying enough to get the woody spicy drydwon, which can last all work day.

    My suggestion for next trys would be Dunhill edition at the cheap end and New York intense at the premium end
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: The Aoud by Mancera

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil
    Posts
    281,861

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    What do you recommend to sample next - something that doesn't stray far from Chanel PM - but has more power/longevity?

    Armani Eau Pour Homme?


    "Tawk to meh"
    This one would be a good one to sample IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Armani eau is very good.
    Others along that vibe...
    Acqua di parma colonia
    Eau sauvage by dior
    Monsier de givenchy


    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    19,996

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Kinda warmed up to these recently, as the temperatures rise,they provide an excellent refreshment - what are they citrus chypre? Whatever lol anyway, I'm looking for 'next' - enjoyed Chanel PM, yet it lasts little and is subtle. Worth - versatile and beautiful certainly - but not as refreshing in warm weather. Dunhill - again pretty clean tidy, zero nonsense. Thinking over these - they DO all have an excellent citrus element that lasts throughout.

    What do you recommend to sample next - something that doesn't stray far from Chanel PM - but has more power/longevity?
    YSL Pour Homme?
    Armani Eau Pour Homme?


    "Tawk to meh"
    The one to the extreme left.

    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

    Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

  6. #6
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,058

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    The one to the extreme left.

    This along with Gucci Nobile and Guerlain Heritage
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    19,996

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Two more recommendations, less citrus more chypre with some unbelievable 'green-watery' (not aquatic) notes -



    and, lemon galore




    But out of these Monsieur de Givenchy is closest to Chanel pour Monsieur EdT.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

    Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

  8. #8
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    But out of these Monsieur de Givenchy is closest to Chanel pour Monsieur EdT.
    I have a newer bottle of Monsieur de Givenchy unopened the clear bottle with clear cap, is it worth spending time with in terms of scent structure still and performance?

  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    19,996

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I have a newer bottle of Monsieur de Givenchy unopened the clear bottle with clear cap, is it worth spending time with in terms of scent structure still and performance?
    Hi,

    Sorry I haven't tried it so can't comment.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

    Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

  10. #10

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Guerlain Heritage
    This!
    Currently wearing: Lomani by Lomani

  11. #11
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,331

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    YSL Pour Homme?
    Armani Eau Pour Homme?
    Yes and yes.

    Also, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. Bugatti. Etienne Aigner, although it's rare. Avon Oland. Lancome Sagamore. Guerlain Mitsouko. Rogue Chypre-Siam. Guerlain Habit Rouge edt (vintage has incense).

  12. #12

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Robert Piguet Cravache

  13. #13
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    le de chypre
    Posts
    12,703

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    What do you recommend to sample next - something that doesn't stray far from Chanel PM - but has more power/longevity?
    YSL Pour Homme?
    Armani Eau Pour Homme?
    Chanel PM is sure enough a wonderful citrus chypre but for some reason I can't get to wear it in the warmer months. I just associate it with autumn or even winter. I get a lot of the spices and to my nose that rules it out for summer. My best scent for interviews or just lounging around the house.

    The two you mention above are both must tries but I totally recommend Eau Sauvage as well. Get a bottle not in the all-white packaging.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Chanel PM is sure enough a wonderful citrus chypre but for some reason I can't get to wear it in the warmer months. I just associate it with autumn or even winter. I get a lot of the spices and to my nose that rules it out for summer. My best scent for interviews or just lounging around the house.

    The two you mention above are both must tries but I totally recommend Eau Sauvage as well. Get a bottle not in the all-white packaging.
    Aw yeah cheers, I seem to have totally missed Eau Sauvage (possibly cause I didn't gel with the parfum version)
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  15. #15
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    le de chypre
    Posts
    12,703

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Aw yeah cheers, I seem to have totally missed Eau Sauvage (possibly cause I didn't gel with the parfum version)
    You're not alone on that point - didn't like either ESP version.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    +1 for the Armani.
    I don't know what the current version is like, but it was my daily driver for warmer weather in the early 90s.

    ETA : yeh, try Eau Sauvage EdT as well. The parfum is kinda formal, but the EdT was all-purpose.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

  17. #17

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Cappucci Pour Homme (vintage)
    Monsieur Balmain (frosted bottle/newer vintage)
    Cologne Intense by Houbigant

    (+1 Armani Eau PH-Vintage or Cosmair release preferred)
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

  18. #18
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    2,418

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Guerlain Heritage for sure. I prefer the EDT.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Loving and likely to own at some point all the five fragrances mentioned in the thread-starting post and liking each, would go for and recommend (speaking strictly about the current, present day formulation of each) in no particular order:

    Chanel pour Monsieur, as long as in its EDP or Cocentree formulation/flanker,

    - Armani Eau pour Homme,

    - YSL pour Homme

    - while also seconding Eau Sauvage Parfum

  20. #20

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    You're not alone on that point - didn't like either ESP version.
    Lol yeah thinking back, I really was unhappy with it - stroppy even! Wanted to love it so much! Sported it today just to see - meh still the same lemon toffee bonbon (those 'taffy's' with powdery lemon coating) with some herbs despersately tryna break through.
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  21. #21

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Guerlain Heritage
    Must revisit this - didnt really think it was part of the 'family' I'm looking at?
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  22. #22

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    +1 for the Armani.
    I don't know what the current version is like, but it was my daily driver for warmer weather in the early 90s.

    ETA : yeh, try Eau Sauvage EdT as well. The parfum is kinda formal, but the EdT was all-purpose.
    Excellent - Armani Eau purchased for a song
    I will have feasted and thus the fast shall begin again!!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  23. #23
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    le de chypre
    Posts
    12,703

    Default Re: Where to ? Chanel PM, Worh PH, Dunhill 1934....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Lol yeah thinking back, I really was unhappy with it - stroppy even! Wanted to love it so much! Sported it today just to see - meh still the same lemon toffee bonbon (those 'taffy's' with powdery lemon coating) with some herbs despersately tryna break through.
    The opening might be 'nice' and nothing more, but I found the dry down of both editions hard to get past. There are better myrrh/incense fragrances out there although I can see this appealing to the masses wanting an oriental-leaning scent, though not actually an oriental if you see what I mean.

    YSL Pour Homme Super Concentrate might be another one for you to look out for. They are quite rare but I have seen a few cropping up on eBay at high prices, though luckily not ridiculously high. That may change of course...

    Dior Eau Sauvage in the non-white box is gradually becoming one of my favourites in the citrus/chypre/fresh categories.




Similar Threads

  1. Dunhill for Men 1934
    By van1ty in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11th March 2015, 06:26 AM
  2. 1934 Dunhill For Men
    By MikeFromManhattan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th January 2012, 02:48 PM
  3. Dunhill 1934?
    By OKJazz in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd November 2008, 04:32 AM
  4. Dunhill 1934
    By marcuccio88 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10th February 2008, 07:14 PM
  5. Dunhill For Men (1934)
    By MikeFromManhattan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th June 2005, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000