Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Eau d'Hermes - differences in versions.

Wow, okay so I fell in love with a modern black cap type. Then I got a couple vintage copper caps. Sold one copper cap off to help make space (and the box was faded, so I'm thinking it was sitting in a window for possibly years, but the frag itself smelled good!).

Now - when I first got a copper cap and smelled it, I thought it smelled the same (or basically the same) as the black cap.

But then today, I put both on. Wow. I did not realize the difference was that noticeable.

Usually a lot of reform talk is overblown, and I can still see that with Eau d'Hermes if you aren't comparing them - but if you do compare them? Hoooo boy.

Black cap - smelled more cinnamon-y and has this synthetic almost Big Red chewing gum vibe from it. On its own it smells amazing, but I really don't want to own the black cap anymore after comparing them, lol.

Copper cap - just smells more... well.. natural! Like it becomes more a part of you instead of just -on you-. It doesn't have that Big Red gum/cinnamon vibe intensity, just smells more natural.

So I sprayed both on pieces of paper towel and got her to sniff them without telling her which is which; she commented that the black cap is more fruity (perhaps whatever accord/note is used for that cinnamon-y aspect?

Then I put both on myself and got her to smell me a bit later. Asked her which smells better and also which smells more natural; two different criteria. She pointed to the arm wearing the copper cap for the more natural smelling, as well as being stronger (which is funny because the black cap seems stronger to me when smelling up close).

But yeah, pretty much what I thought in regards to natural smelling as well.

Something else I noticed - I used to get a massive amount of cumin from the black cap, but now I can't help but smell that freaking cinnamon/gum vibe from it. Ugh.

ALSO WORTH NOTING: Apparently there was a reformulation sometime ~2014-2016 with Eau d'Hermes during the black cap era. So I really don't know how the 'older' black cap compares to my 2016 bottle. Proof, you say?

My 2016 bottle (BKAAL) has 80% vol. listed.
    2014 bottle (4BAAM or 4DAAM) has 85% vol. listed.

So something was changed around that timeframe.

With that said, I don't know about the clear cap (era in between copper and black).

So obviously I scoured online quickly, and bought another BNIB copper cap, because... why not! Amazing frag.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Eau d'Hermes - differences in versions.

I have a small vintage mini. It has a black cap by appearance. On my skin it started off a spicy citrusy aromatic that developed a strong cumin accord. I felt it was bit polarizing to my nose.

EAU D'HERMES VINTAGE MINI .jpg
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Institution

Team Copper Cap here. Love that stuff. Enjoy!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I have a small vintage mini. It has a black cap by appearance. On my skin it started off a spicy citrusy aromatic that developed a strong cumin accord. I felt it was bit polarizing to my nose.

EAU D'HERMES VINTAGE MINI .jpg
    Oh wow, that's maybe vintage Eau d'Hermes pre-copper cap or something. By black cap above I'm talking about the modern stuff that came around in... I'm not sure... ~2011-2014, somewhere in there?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Team Copper Cap here. Love that stuff. Enjoy!
    Great stuff! The black cap (modern) isn't bad at all, just when compared to the copper... I just have to have copper, haha
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Eau d'Hermes in the coppertop version has been my #1 scent for a very long time. And then... And then...

Johnny_Ludlow sent me a decant of his 1970s version, with dark grey (pewter) cap. Take my advice -- don't ever smell it. Just don't.

Who needs more unobtainium in their lives?

I have about 450mls of coppertop backed up. I'm just going to pretend I never smelled the pewter cap version.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Eau d'Hermes in the coppertop version has been my #1 scent for a very long time. And then... And then...

Johnny_Ludlow sent me a decant of his 1970s version, with dark grey (pewter) cap. Take my advice -- don't ever smell it. Just don't.

I have about 450mls of coppertop backed up. I'm just going to pretend I never smelled the pewter cap version.
    Oh no. Haha. If I see this unicorn some day, no guarantees I'll avoid it!

It's funny, the copper cap just feels like it melds with my skin or something, and the black cap seems to be sitting on top of it - not melding like the copper cap. But that freaking cinnamon gum smell somewhat ruined the black cap for me. Viva la copper cap!
    All Hail King Kouros!

I have to question your nose today, as there is 0% of anything cinnamon like in black cap Eau d' Hermes. I have no issue with you stating the copper may be more to your liking, but the cinnamon is just not there. Nothing Big Red. Lots of cumin. Love the black cap. It is one of the few fragrances that is so sexually evocative.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    I have to question your nose today, as there is 0% of anything cinnamon like in black cap Eau d' Hermes. I have no issue with you stating the copper may be more to your liking, but the cinnamon is just not there. Nothing Big Red. Lots of cumin. Love the black cap. It is one of the few fragrances that is so sexually evocative.
    I don't really recall getting the association either until I compared it with the copper cap while wearing both at the same time. Do you have the copper cap to compare? It's surprising to me, trust me. It's not cinnamon like.. actual cinnamon spice powder/ground cinnamon, it's that 'cinnamon' like in Big Red gum (not the soda). Or at least that's like the closest association I have to it.

Edit: OH, and when I sprayed them on the paper towel. It was extremely noticeable right after spraying on the paper towel as well.

Edit 2: Got curious and looked at my box. Maybe this is what I'm picking up on? Or in conjunction with cumin or something? Cinnamal.

Edit 3: D'oh, there's a hexyl cinnamal at the end too.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

My view is that the Coppertop offers a reform that appeals most to me as it's boost of Cumin was supported by rather high Quality accompanying ingredients and mindful orchestration. It kickstarts and accentuates healthy human Cuminy body essence. As a notable BN reviewer stated it paints onto the body a couple of hours of natural BO that normally develops on a human body after a neutralizing cleansing shower.

Experience with a sample as late as 1989 Black Top presents a soapier,floral melange brought together on bedsheets after coitus. Civet and Masala work together with my musk to have me scenting as though I've spent the last six hours in bed with a lover. At 61 it is my preference as
    Six hour marathons are long in the past.
    It is no wonder that it has been said that it not be worn by any Male over a certain age.

Late model Black top although less interesting with it's use of compound is actually quite elegant in presentation of historic coitus.
    I probably should be wearing that. I would if zI didn't have a lifetime.e supply of Coppertop and earlier blacktop.
    I hazard to guess a taste of Pewter top would likely have me dumping all of that in trade.

As much as I hold admiration of this scent I have contempt for Dior Sauvage (In all iterations)
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Did his bottle cap looked like mine? Mine has to be at least 1980s if not earlier.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Did his bottle cap looked like mine? Mine has to be at least 1980s if not earlier.
    It's hard for me to tell black cap and pewter cap apart unless I'm seeing them next to each other. Here we see pewter cap on the far left and black cap on the two in the front.

I still have two of these that need new homes... they also smell great

0tS7ctxm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    I still have two of these that need new homes... they also smell great

0tS7ctxm.jpg
    It has a clear cap instead of the pewter or copper one. Looks like 70's at least?

It's hard for me to tell black cap and pewter cap apart unless I'm seeing them next to each other. Here we see pewter cap on the far left and black cap on the two in the front.

I'd say the two in the center are pewter as well, a little less lighting on those bottles.

Basenotes Plus

It has a clear cap instead of the pewter or copper one. Looks like 70's at least?
    This is where I don't know - because there was yearly limited editions or something and also a new century/millennia type or something as well, so like.. 1993 to 2000 or so. I don't know the differences from the 70's/80's presentation compared to the 'newer' ones. Regardless the juice inside is probably great stuff though.

I'd say the two in the center are pewter as well, a little less lighting on those bottles.
    Yeah, not just the lighting but the logo on the bottles as well. No modern black caps in the pic.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

I have the clear cap and I have said to my wife in the past "do I smell like big red?" Some days I pick up more citrus in the opening, but others it's all big red. After the big red tones down, I can pick up the sweaty leather, so I still like it.

Since I haven't smelled the older versions, I haven't had the desire to chase a bottle down.

Basenotes Plus

I have to disagree. To me the left one looks grey, and the front ones look black.

We need for Johnny_Ludlow to stumble in here and voice his opinion, since he owns pewter cap.

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    I have the clear cap and I have said to my wife in the past "do I smell like big red?" Some days I pick up more citrus in the opening, but others it's all big red. After the big red tones down, I can pick up the sweaty leather, so I still like it.

Since I haven't smelled the older versions, I haven't had the desire to chase a bottle down.
    what era is the clear cap?
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1921 - Chanel No 5 Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post

Well slap my butt and call me Nancy, that's insane. I didn't know if I was going overboard on the whole Big Red thing, but with your feedback as well... welp! lol. Please do check out an older bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    what era is the clear cap?
    In between copper cap and modern black cap(s).

Not sure when copper cap stopped being made, no later than 2007.

So say... 2007 - 2013 or some such for clear cap, I'm really not sure.
    All Hail King Kouros!

I have to disagree. To me the left one looks grey, and the front ones look black.

We need for Johnny_Ludlow to stumble in here and voice his opinion, since he owns pewter cap.
    The stickers are identical for both and this thread supports that they're from the late 1980s
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/440...f-Eau-d-Hermes

I've never seen this bottle below before:

I just got this mini off eBay, identical to one of the pewter cap Cook.bot posted. Out of curiousity, when where they produced? I wanted to try the modern version of the scent for a long time but couldn't find it anywhere, and stumbled upon this by chance and thought I'd give it a go.

Pardon the dust and the flecks of glue(?) on the bottle, I literally just received it and thought of this thread

Basenotes Institution

I wore the copper top last night, a heavy application. What a wonderful fragrance!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore the copper top last night, a heavy application. What a wonderful fragrance!

Is it more wonderful for you in heavy application versus light?
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I just got this mini off eBay, identical to one of the pewter cap Cook.bot posted. Out of curiousity, when where they produced? I wanted to try the modern version of the scent for a long time but couldn't find it anywhere, and stumbled upon this by chance and thought I'd give it a go.

Pardon the dust and the flecks of glue(?) on the bottle, I literally just received it and thought of this thread
    I had that exact same one, I recently divested it off. This particular one has a strong cumin note that was very difficult to get past. I'd say this is at least from the 1980s.