Code of Conduct

Thread: Making Fougere

Default Making Fougere

DIY video, NO COMMERCIAL content.

Moderators, I`m not trying to sell anything! Nothing a service, not products, absolutely 100% NOTHING.
    Please watch my videos and you will see!

*I`m just trying to help out newbies like myself, please stop sending my videos over to the "Shameless Self Promotions," section.
    If you watch my videos, you will see they are 100% absolutely made for newbies, like myself...trying to learn about perfumery.

My videos are 100% "on topic," they are D.I.Y.
    I feel I am trying to provide something positive to this online forum.

I hope you understand my intentions.

What`s the difference between written words, and video?
    My videos are no different from my forum posts, they are meant to contribute ideas and help to newbies. I hope you understand.

Matthew
    I want to help newbies, like me!
    Matt`s Youtube channel: we examine materials, make accords and simple perfumes and talk all things scent related.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpi...5IG9nbG20t-lIQ

Default Re: Making Fougere

Thanks Matt. I for one certainly do appreciate little videos like this.
    1. Christian Dior - Eau Noire
    2. Slumberhouse - Ore
    3. Tom Ford - Amber Absolute
    4. Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    5. Xerjoff - Naxos
    6. Xerjoff - Regio
    7. Tauer - L`Air du Desert Marocain
    8. By Kilian - Back to Black
    9. Xerjoff - Ivory Route
    10. Parfums de Marly - Oajan

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    DIY video, NO COMMERCIAL content.

Moderators, I`m not trying to sell anything! Nothing a service, not products, absolutely 100% NOTHING.
    Please watch my videos and you will see!

*I`m just trying to help out newbies like myself, please stop sending my videos over to the "Shameless Self Promotions," section.
    If you watch my videos, you will see they are 100% absolutely made for newbies, like myself...trying to learn about perfumery.

My videos are 100% "on topic," they are D.I.Y.
    I feel I am trying to provide something positive to this online forum.

I hope you understand my intentions.

What`s the difference between written words, and video?
    My videos are no different from my forum posts, they are meant to contribute ideas and help to newbies. I hope you understand.

Matthew

Maybe you are perceived as trying to redirect traffic from this site to your YouTube channel. That in itself is a business for some. Not saying this applies to you but I could easily see it seeming that way. Nice video by the way.

I see in replies that it's another YouTube redirect to personal channel, after moderators have already decided repeatedly what forum is correct for these.

The thought process would seem to have to be, "Who cares what the moderators have been deciding, I want to do things my way and am going to keep doing so. The moderators are the ones who need to change."

I'm not surprised, but, not appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Maybe you are perceived as trying to redirect traffic from this site to your YouTube channel. That in itself is a business for some. Not saying this applies to you but I could easily see it seeming that way. Nice video by the way.
    Thank you for the compliment!

I am trying to avoid bringing people outside of this forum.
    I posted my videos within the DIY forum screen, and have not just added a "click here," link.

I make these videos to help newbies, like myself.
    That`s it. My intentions are 100% simple.

Some other members
    are attempting to sell their products and chemicals on the DIY forum....
    I`m doing no such thing, I hope we are all treated with equality here.

Matthew
    Matt`s Youtube channel: we examine materials, make accords and simple perfumes and talk all things scent related.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchbrit View Post
    Thanks Matt. I for one certainly do appreciate little videos like this.

Thank you, I hope this video helps you with you DIY perfumery pursuits!
    Because this is my intention, to HELP newbies, like myself.

It`S really unfortunate, that other, senior members try to jealously guard their "secrets," (there are no secrets in perfumery by the way)
    And it`s really unfortunate that other, senior members, try to cut down newbies...like myself, from helping each other.

I will continue to try to help other people!
    Yours
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    I see in replies that it's another YouTube redirect to personal channel, after moderators have already decided repeatedly what forum is correct for these.

The thought process would seem to have to be, "Who cares what the moderators have been deciding, I want to do things my way and am going to keep doing so. The moderators are the ones who need to change."

I'm not surprised, but, not appropriate.

Absolutely 100% not trying to re-direct traffic.
    I posted the video within the forum.
    I did not provide an outside link to Youtube.

There`s been too much "no that`s wrong," from SOME of the more experienced member here.
    I want to to contribute more, "hey, here`s an idea for you to try."

And therein lies the philosophical difference between myself, and some others on this forum.

Why don`t you state your real intentions Bill?
    Question: Is it that you just want to cut down other, less experience members?
    Want to keep newbies from learning?
    What a ridiculously nasty thing to accuse other people of.

I concur with you that, having traversed this forum for several years, that rules are clearly NOT always enforced equitably. But these sort of comments are what make other valuable people -- who have helped countless number of newcomers, including myself -- walk away from the forums, as you ought to remember.

Abslutely absurd and, I agree, nasty.

No, the point is that one can WRITE UP what one has to say about anything subject for people to read here and learn from here on Basenotes.

That builds content on Basenotes. Posting links to one's own Youtube channel does not, and is exactly self-promotion.

Six times already the mods have moved these links to self-videos. The verdict is in. Repeatedly. There's appropriate behavior and there's inappropriate.

I had a girlfriend with young daughers who had absolutely no parental discipline. One occasion, it was the older daughter's birthday but she had a custom where the the daughter not having the birthday would still get one gift to not be left out. OK. So we were out with the daughters shopping for the gifts, letting them pick. Again and again the younger daughter was wanting a second gift and was told by the mother or me, you have to pick between them, only one. I am not kidding, we got to at least 30 times of the younger daughter keeping on going for a second gift. Just ignoring the no. I held firm, but do you know what the mother did when we got back to the car, since I refused to buy a second gift? She went and bought a second gift. Point of the story being, it is a strategy that can work for people to never accept a no, to keep pushing. It works for salesmen as well. But it can be annoying as hell to others and as personal opinion is fundamentally pretty disrespectful.

Respect the forum, respect other people, and thereby gain respect personally is my advice to anyone wanting to get along. One time being told or shown "no" is sufficient when respecting the other party, as personal opinion. Obviously, opinions differ there.

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    What a ridiculously nasty thing to accuse other people of.

I concur with you that, having traversed this forum for several years, that rules are clearly NOT always enforced equitably. But these sort of comments are what make other valuable people -- who have helped countless number of newcomers, including myself -- walk away from the forums, as you ought to remember.
    I have no idea what your talking about.

Posting links to one's own Youtube channel does not, and is exactly self-promotion.
    To be fair, Bill, this time he didn't post a link. It would seem that embedding videos within Basenotes should be fine, if that is some sort of feature that they offer. If it is not, perhaps it is something they can work on. I, myself, have never tried.

Abslutely absurd and, I agree, nasty.
    No, the point is that one can WRITE UP what one has to say about anything subject for people to read here and learn from here on Basenotes.
    That builds content on Basenotes. Posting links to one's own Youtube channel does not, and is exactly self-promotion.
    Six times already the mods have moved these videos. The verdict is in. There's appropriate behavior and there's inappropriate.

Information is there to be shared, not jealously guarded.

Information is there to be shared, not jealously guarded.
    No one advocated for not sharing; that is what this place is about. You ought to calm down, sir.

No one advocated for not sharing; that is what this place is about. You ought to calm down, sir.
    AWESOME!!!
    What is your philosophy surrounding making a fougere?
    I would love to know!
    Cheers
    Marty

AWESOME!!!
    What is your philosophy surrounding making a fougere?
    I would love to know!
    Cheers
    Marty
    I’m not entirely certain what you mean by this question. It’s a bit like saying what’s my philosophy behind making coffee. That requires a few basic things, like roasted beans and water. Maybe some milk. Etc.

Fougère is my favorite fragrance category. All fougère skeletons are built on coumarin (or tonka), geranium (geraniol), and lavender (linalool, linalyl acetate).

I especially enjoy the older powdery men’s styles with tons of vanillin, heliotropin and Aubépine. Better even with lots of moss and nitro musks (musk ketone my favorite that I have smelled). I appreciate the more modern fruity styles, cool water like top notes, but prefer the thicker stickiness of the sweet older ones. I absolutely loved the top notes of the new Eau de Menthe from Diptyque, but it falls apart in the base with too much veramoss.

Nothing tops the anisic qualities of English Fern or the vanillin ones of Brut

I’m not entirely certain what you mean by this question. It’s a bit like saying what’s my philosophy behind making coffee. That requires a few basic things, like roasted beans and water. Maybe some milk. Etc.

Fougère is my favorite fragrance category. All fougère skeletons are built on coumarin (or tonka), geranium (geraniol), and lavender (linalool, linalyl acetate).

I especially enjoy the older powdery men’s styles with tons of vanillin, heliotropin and Aubépine. Better even with lots of moss and nitro musks (musk ketone my favorite that I have smelled). I appreciate the more modern fruity styles, cool water like top notes, but prefer the thicker stickiness of the sweet older ones. I absolutely loved the top notes of the new Eau de Menthe from Diptyque, but it falls apart in the base with too much veramoss.

Nothing tops the anisic qualities of English Fern or the vanillin ones of Brut
    Awesome!
    I too believe the English make the very best fougere,
    And I do love Brut!
    Thanks so much for your insight :-)

I would say, IMHO, Pennhalogan makes wonderful fougere type colognes and perfumes!

I would say, IMHO, Pennhalogan makes wonderful fougere type colognes and perfumes!
    I mean ... it's really just the one. But, sure, I think for the ratio of price to quality Penhaligons is not so bad. Of course things have been cheapened and changed since they were bought.

I mean ... it's really just the one. But, sure, I think for the ratio of price to quality Penhaligons is not so bad. Of course things have been cheapened and changed since they were bought.
    Wow!
    I didn’t know that :-)
    Will look into it!
    Matt

Yeah, Cultural Revolution!
    Some people by their very existence self promote. They transgress by being competent capable and interesting.
    Others are dull no matter how loud they shout.

What happens here is slow erosion of the idea which I used to consider the major purpose of DIY forum:

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    We should all try out lesser known ingredients, or ingredients that we find hard to use. Only by doing so will we learn and improve our skills.
    Instead, all the valuable information is getting swamped by reiterating truisms.

I made a relatively basic fougere this afternoon and it turned out pretty well. My brother has a small shaving soap business so I’m working on a scent reminiscent of an old-school barber shop for a shaving soap. Aside from the in-fighting this thread was quite useful because it actually prompted me to work on something I haven't tried too often.

I used:

Bergamot
    Geranium
    Oakmoss abs
    Lavender abs
    Mandarinal
    Green mandarim
    Lime eo
    DHM
    Tonka bean abs
    Coumarex
    Citral
    Coriander
    Black pepper eo
    White musks (Applelide, Ethylene Brassylate, Romandolide, Exaltolide)

It smells pretty good, even for a first run!

Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    I made a relatively basic fougere this afternoon and it turned out pretty well. My brother has a small shaving soap business so I’m working on a scent reminiscent of an old-school barber shop for a shaving soap. Aside from the in-fighting this thread was quite useful because it actually prompted me to work on something I haven't tried too often.

I used:

Bergamot
    Geranium
    Oakmoss abs
    Lavender abs
    Mandarinal
    Green mandarim
    Lime eo
    DHM
    Tonka bean abs
    Coumarex
    Citral
    Coriander
    Black pepper eo
    White musks (Applelide, Ethylene Brassylate, Romandolide, Exaltolide)

It smells pretty good, even for a first run!
    Very awesome, I`m really glad this thread has been some use to you.
    Thanks so much Barry. I see you are using lot`s of naturals, and IMHO this will definitely produce a very high quality (rather expensive) classy men`s scent.

Many people move the Fougere away from the more "soapy," accords..
    But, IMHO, I think purposely chasing after the soapy edge, I think this is a fantastic idea!

*If I may add anything to your list, lavender absolute is an incredible material. I love it.
    A fougere with REAL tonka bean absolute, and ladder absolute would be so incredibly rich, and complex.

Keep on with the awesome work Barry!
    Yours
    Matthew

To let you guys know,
    I have never made a single penny on youtube.

I don`t even know HOW to make money on youtube.
    I have never attempted to make money on youtube.

My videos have one single purpose.
    To share my enthusiasm about perfumes with newbies.
    To help other newbies, like myself, with the basics of perfumery.

Not in one single occurrence have I ever suggested I am "good," or a "pro,"

I am not selling myself as a knowledgeable person. In my videos I am very humble, I tell the viewers that I am a beginner, and I tell them
    that I can only give basic, simple formulas to follow. Again, I have never tried to make money from youtube.

Barry,
    Quick question.

How does Coumarex smell, in comparison with coumarin, or tonka bean absolute?
    Thanks!
    Matthew

After much consideration, it has been decided that Youtube videos are to be posted in Shameless Self Promotion. Closing this thread temporarily for cleanup as it has gone way off track.

Barry,
    Quick question.

How does Coumarex smell, in comparison with coumarin, or tonka bean absolute?
    Thanks!
    Matthew
    Hi Matt,

I haven’t smelled coumarin in its own but compared to tonka bean abs it’s pretty similar. Perhaps not as sweet and IMO Coumarex also has more of a sweet tobacco nuance as well. It’s good stuff!