Code of Conduct
o

Default Time between diluting and blending

OK, I've just diluted my materials at different %'s into tiny 5ml bottles.
    How long should i let them 'rest' before blending?
    The Labdanum, Tonka Bean, and Coconut CO2 were tricky to work with.
    Last edited by Halonp; 25th July 2019 at 12:38 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Time between diluting and blending

I don`t mean to throw a wrench into your process, it`s FINE how it is now...
    *But,

I would have blended them all at 10%, or all at 20%...
    that way, you come to recognize how strong, powerful and long lasting a material is.
    If all materials are blended at the same percentage, you can calculate formulas much, much easier.

But, to answer your question;
    I would wait 2 weeks.... before blending.

In that time, you can research and make notes about each individual material.
    You might also want to consider making a second set up materials made at the exact same percentage.

If you dilute materials first, before blending, does not the mixture have to age much longer than leaving alone? Like age before adding alcohol speeds up the first part of maturation.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    I don`t mean to throw a wrench into your process, it`s FINE how it is now...
    *But,

I would have blended them all at 10%, or all at 20%...
    Nooooo!
    I've asked, and searched, and from what I can gather ppl seem to dilute at all different percentages, and sometimes not at all.
    I checked out the good scents website and read all the recommended smelling percentages (plus used my own nose, lol).
    I guess I'll learn more as I go along. I don't mind messing up 10% dilutions using Petitgrain and Bergamot, but messing up even 10% dilutions using Davana and Frangipani Absolute scares me! lol.

But, to answer your question;
    I would wait 2 weeks.... before blending.

Why wait? there is little to react with, besides alcohol, right?

Basenotes Plus

You can start right away to use them.

Foundational to learning, is thinking in percentages.
    Consistency is what helps you previsualize a formula.
    Your dilutions have pretty much zilch for consistency.

Pick something standard for your dilutions in the future, you will be much better able to visualize if your standard doesn't wander so much.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Your dilutions have pretty much zilch for consistency.

Pick something standard for your dilutions in the future, you will be much better able to visualize if your standard doesn't wander so much.
    OK, thanks for the feedback and advice. I was aiming for around 10%, but less for the oils I find really strong, and a higher % for the oils I found weaker. But you're right, i should have gone for a more consistent % for all of them and just use different amounts when I blend.

Would it be a terrible idea if I increased everything to 15% in 3.5 gms?

So my 5% of 3 gms (0.15 gms oil + 2.85 gms alcohol) would become 0.525 grams of oil in total with 2.975 gms alcohol.
    As I already have 0.15 gms of oil, I'd just need to add another 0.375 gms of the oil, and 0.125 gms alcohol.

For my 10% of 3 gms (0.3 gms oil + 2.7 gms alcohol) I'd need to add another 0.225 gms oils + 0.275 gms alcohol.

For my 1% of 3 gms (0.03 gms oil + 2.97 gms alcohol) I'd need to add another 0.495 gms oil + 0.005 gms alcohol.

The only ones I have at over 15% dilutions are Patchouli @ 20%, Aldehyde C18 @ 30%, and Coconut CO2 @ 30% ( which I could also dilute to bring them down to 15%)

Basenotes Plus

Sure, if you can build more consistency now, by doing good calculations to remedy the situation, by all means.
    But, having things at the odd amount of 15%, AT LEAST TO ME, still defeats to some extent, your ability to visualize in percentages, simply because your 15% isn't say, 10%, or 20%, which is easier to figure percents on the fly, than say, 15%, at least in my puny mind. Maybe it is easier for you to master than for me.

Lastly, I would take your beeswax down to 1%.

As only a point of comparison of mixing, I don't normally dilute anything. I make all my trials at full strength, of course with exceptions. Beeswax Absolute, is one of those exceptions, and I dilute it to 1%. So, you can see that if everything else is at 100%, and I use Beeswax at 1%, you should try to make your dilution less than 10%, not more to 15%.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Sure, if you can build more consistency now, by doing good calculations to remedy the situation, by all means.
    But, having things at the odd amount of 15%, AT LEAST TO ME, still defeats to some extent, your ability to visualize in percentages, simply because your 15% isn't say, 10%, or 20%, which is easier to figure percents on the fly, than say, 15%, at least in my puny mind. Maybe it is easier for you to master than for me.

Lastly, I would take your beeswax down to 1%.

As only a point of comparison of mixing, I don't normally dilute anything. I make all my trials at full strength, of course with exceptions. Beeswax Absolute, is one of those exceptions, and I dilute it to 1%. So, you can see that if everything else is at 100%, and I use Beeswax at 1%, you should try to make your dilution less than 10%, not more to 15%.
    Great advice Paul. 10% would be easier to calculate overall.
    I shall change those figures again and get them all recalculated to 10% - except the beeswax.
    I'm hoping to get to the stage where I can use full strength, but as I'm only just starting out, I've been told (and read) that it's more cost effective to work with diluted materials?? I could be wrong, and I'm totally open to any, and all, advice for those with greater knowledge than myself

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Halonp View Post
    Great advice Paul. 10% would be easier to calculate overall.
    I shall change those figures again and get them all recalculated to 10% - except the beeswax.
    I'm hoping to get to the stage where I can use full strength, but as I'm only just starting out, I've been told (and read) that it's more cost effective to work with diluted materials?? I could be wrong, and I'm totally open to any, and all, advice for those with greater knowledge than myself

Thanks again.
    I think you are doing everything right. Everyone just has their own approach and way of working, everywhere there are pros and cons. Start mixing your materials and with experience you will understand what materials you need to reduce in concentration and what to increase. All tips work each in his place... Gradually you will come to your own style. At the beginning, I wanted to dilute all materials by 10% concentration and now I use 1% (for adding shades) both 5% and 10% and 20% and 100% depending on the task and the current project.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
    . . . with experience you will understand what materials you need to reduce in concentration and what to increase.
    Thanks Dmitriy. I appreciate your encouragement and I'm just glad everyone here is so helpful!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thea in Fl View Post
    Why wait? there is little to react with, besides alcohol, right?
    Allow me to correct myself, he can start immediately.
    *But, t`s good to wait 2 weeks when blending different materials together.

I definitely encourage:
    1). making notes about each individual material.
    2). making a second set of materials ALL at the exact same percentage.

Allow me to correct myself, he can start immediately.
    He is a she.
    And I've adjusted the quantities to make everything at 10% (apart from the coconut CO2 extract and the aldehyde C18 as they're in 5 ml bottles, so they won't fit. I'll make a new 10% batch of those oils.
    Thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Halonp View Post
    Thanks Dmitriy. I appreciate your encouragement and I'm just glad everyone here is so helpful!

I agree with Dmitry 1000%
    Currently, I keep 3 sets of materials.

A-set at 10% - for experimentation, and to search out the "nuance," within individual materials.

B-set at 25% - to understand, imagine what accords will smell like at an "average," perfume dilution.

C-set at 100% for generic storage.

C-set to smell what whole materials smell like "in the raw."

Banned

[QUOTE=Halonp;4664691]
    Allow me to correct myself, he can start immediately. [/QOUTE]

He is a she.
    And I've adjusted the quantities to make everything at 10% (apart from the coconut CO2 extract and the aldehyde C18 as they're in 5 ml bottles, so they won't fit. I'll make a new 10% batch of those oils.
    Thanks

I`m embarrassed, my apologies!
    I hope your having fun with your perfumes!
    And I hope this forum proves useful to you :-)

The best book, IMHO to understand the creative mindset in perfumery is this;
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6396631-perfume

I like the Audible version, I listen to it time and again, and it has provided inspiration.
    Perfumery is a fun, experimental and humbling experience. But don't forget to have FUN!

I`m embarrassed, my apologies!
    I hope your having fun with your perfumes!
    And I hope this forum proves useful to you :-)

The best book, IMHO to understand the creative mindset in perfumery is this;
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6396631-perfume

I like the Audible version, I listen to it time and again, and it has provided inspiration.
    Perfumery is a fun, experimental and humbling experience. But don't forget to have FUN!
    haha, no worries at all!
    Thanks for that recommendation, I will certainly check it out.