Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Fragrance as Pre-workout?

Guy who trains at the same time as me seems to believe 50 sprays of Aventus does the trick....

Total War by RedCon1 for me please

Don't do pre-workout scents. However, when facing a tough ME day or a string of multiple workouts in a row I do choose my SOTD to reflect this.
    I find that it helps to build concentration and positive mindset instead of the effort and pain lurking in waiting during the day.
    #1 choice is Testosterone, Lonestar Memories and Tonnere work as well. Tonnere is also my competion scent for IPSC.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Quote Originally Posted by A10 View Post
    Guy who trains at the same time as me seems to believe 50 sprays of Aventus does the trick....
    Actually did upper body max. effort day yesterday wearing Aventus

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Basenotes Plus

I generally dont work out. Whenever i do there is usually nobody else there, so i guess whatever strikes me. Im pro-fragrance during workouts and in general. Ive never yet in my life wished another human was not wearing a fragrance.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

wowo.. never thought of it... I am a coffee person and thats work super good

Will wear whatever I had on earlier in the day to the gym, or maybe a fresher/cleaner fragrance. Honestly don't put much thought into it. Deodorant/antiperspirant is much more important, not really looking for compliments in the gym
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    There's no consensus, it's just that the ones who don't wear it tend to shout louder about what is the "correct" thing to do than those who do it, ha! Have a quick search and you'll see some of the apoplexies these threads have caused in the past.
    Personally, whatever my SOTD is becomes my gym fragrance because I almost always go in the evening. Who cares if someone wears a fragrance in the gym? I have never been offended by smelling one in that context before. To me, it is much better than smelling BO. Why these types of threads have caused apoplexies is beyond me.

Additionally, please do not take this thread too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Personally, whatever my SOTD is becomes my gym fragrance because I almost always go in the evening. Who cares if someone wears a fragrance in the gym? I have never been offended by smelling one in that context before. To me, it is much better than smelling BO. Why these types of threads have caused apoplexies is beyond me.

Additionally, please do not take this thread too seriously.
    It is rare, but for me certain fragrances (or essential oils) when freshly applied or being added to the air in some way, can irritate my asthma, which is very much less than ideal at the gym, where I may not have an inhaler handy.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Eau Belle by Azzaro

I usually wear a very light amount of Invictus or Hollister Jake before hitting the gym. Invictus might get me a little amped sometimes, but I'm mostly using it to stay smelling good.

I would say Fahrenheit might be worth a try Pre-Workout. I could see that being a scent that would kinda amp you up for heavy lifts. I might even give it a try now.

Anyways, an easy Pre-Workout I use is Coffee, and once there is like 1 big sip left, I'll add like ~1/4 TSP of Cayenne and drink it like a shot. As far as supplements for getting you amped up, this would combine two that have pretty strong research backing them up and are both very easy to find at home.

I might wear something light. Comme de garcons 3 is one.
    However post-workout that I much more enjoy, in all their kinds.

I wear Chanel Allure Sport Cologne and sometimes Guerlain Vetiver when I gym it mainly as protection from some of the stanky ass folks who smell like some abysmal combo of ancient ranch dressing and goat turds...

I just seen someone use Smelling Salts (Ammonia) before attempting a personal record lift at the gym and got reminded of this thread. So I figured I'd try to make something of this.

From what I've gathered, Ammonia works through an irritating effect, supposedly on TRPV1, which is also activated from Cayenne (Capsaicin), Heat, basically most Spicy things.

An easy way you could provide a similar effect via cologne without actually using Ammonia is just using a Spicy fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    I just seen someone use Smelling Salts (Ammonia) before attempting a personal record lift at the gym and got reminded of this thread. So I figured I'd try to make something of this.

From what I've gathered, Ammonia works through an irritating effect, supposedly on TRPV1, which is also activated from Cayenne (Capsaicin), Heat, basically most Spicy things.

An easy way you could provide a similar effect via cologne without actually using Ammonia is just using a Spicy fragrance.
    Interesting thought. I've seen this as well.
    Is that even used in cologne? I thought the smelling salts were a means to raise your alertness, because they increase your heart rate, blood pump.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Interesting thought. I've seen this as well.
    Is that even used in cologne? I thought the smelling salts were a means to raise your alertness, because they increase your heart rate, blood pump.
    I don't believe there's many if any fragrances with Ammonia in them, I'll check more thoroughly sometime to be sure though. I'm pretty sure it might burn the skin.

Yeah, it increases alertness, heart rate, etc. through its irritant effect. A quick PubMed search shows Ammonia Activates TRPV1, like Cayenne and most Hot things. The reaction from this is shown to be increased Adrenaline release as your body is telling you something is happening and you need to be awake/alert.

There's a lot of Pre-Workout & Dieting supplements that use Capsaicin or Cayenne pepper to give this effect, and I believe most research points to it being a very useful supplement for those uses.

So, basically, certain Spicy colognes should have a similar effect. The Spicy scent might even be more effective than using Cayenne or supplements because Nasal Administration is known a very quick and efficient method of drug delivery to the brain. So a whiff before a lift might be more of a "on the spot" effect, like right when you need it.

In simpler terms, Smelling Spicy colognes would theoretically have a very similar effect to Smelling Salts, although most likely not as strong.

I don't believe there's many if any fragrances with Ammonia in them, I'll check more thoroughly sometime to be sure though. I'm pretty sure it might burn the skin.

Yeah, it increases alertness, heart rate, etc. through its irritant effect. A quick PubMed search shows Ammonia Activates TRPV1, like Cayenne and most Hot things. The reaction from this is shown to be increased Adrenaline release as your body is telling you something is happening and you need to be awake/alert.

There's a lot of Pre-Workout & Dieting supplements that use Capsaicin or Cayenne pepper to give this effect, and I believe most research points to it being a very useful supplement for those uses.

So, basically, certain Spicy colognes should have a similar effect. The Spicy scent might even be more effective than using Cayenne or supplements because Nasal Administration is known a very quick and efficient method of drug delivery to the brain. So a whiff before a lift might be more of a "on the spot" effect, like right when you need it.

In simpler terms, Smelling Spicy colognes would theoretically have a very similar effect to Smelling Salts, although most likely not as strong.
    But if it's not a concentrated amount, it likely wouldn't have the effect. Or at least a substantial decrease in potency.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    But if it's not a concentrated amount, it likely wouldn't have the effect. Or at least a substantial decrease in potency.
    Yeah, it should just have a mild effect. As long as you can smell the spiciness, the concentration should be enough to give a little kick. If it wasn't enough, it wouldn't smell Spicy. So the amount of spiciness you smell would be the amount of the effect, basically.

There's still some others things that might be beneficial for a Pre-Workout fragrance, but I'd consider starting with Spicy fragrances and see if and which works best.

Yeah, it should just have a mild effect. As long as you can smell the spiciness, the concentration should be enough to give a little kick. If it wasn't enough, it wouldn't smell Spicy. So the amount of spiciness you smell would be the amount of the effect, basically.

There's still some others things that might be beneficial for a Pre-Workout fragrance, but I'd consider starting with Spicy fragrances and see if and which works best.
    It's a cool experiment, but smelling salts are much cheaper, I'm guessing. From is lifting perspective, that's the best route. If you want a good pump and to smell good, it just might work.

Funny. A few hours after my last post here, I came across this, lol

mk.jpg

Thanks guys. Obviously smelling salts are going to be more effective and probably cheaper. But perhaps spicy fragrances will have this effect as well. I wonder if certain notes are more effective at this than others. I would be very surprised (and doubtful) if there was a single fragrance that had the same effect as smelling salts. But if it does exist, I would like to know about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Thanks guys. Obviously smelling salts are going to be more effective and probably cheaper. But perhaps spicy fragrances will have this effect as well. I wonder if certain notes are more effective at this than others. I would be very surprised (and doubtful) if there was a single fragrance that had the same effect as smelling salts. But if it does exist, I would like to know about it!
    Like I said before, try a half spray of (modern formula) Kouros on your chest from a foot away. It really does have tonic/alkaline properties, not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    When I was younger and went to the gym, fragrance for me was only after the gym workout and the shower.
    Respect.

I really don't want smelling scents and BO at the same time while working out.
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

Jumping on the Aventus bandwagon. 10 sprays, right to the balls. Display your dominance!

Ok, jokes aside. Aventus, One spray under the shirt. It invigorates me and is pretty tame for others when applied this way. I'll usually apply about an hour before heading out.

I don't work out in a gym (I jog/take long walks/do yoga at home), but usually if I'm planning on getting my heart rate up and sweating I'll wait until after to put on fragrance. The main reason is that I know 1) I'm gonna get stinky real fast anyway, and 2) I'm gonna shower it off as soon as I'm done. I guess for me the fragrance motivation has something of a delayed effect - I'm motivated by the thought of spraying myself with something nice as soon as I get out of the shower.

If I had to choose though, I'd go for something bright with a citrus kick, i.e. lime or ginger, paired with some peppery aromatics. I'd love to see a Noir Anthracite flanker with the ginger and bergamot in the forefront. Not that NA has anywhere near the popularity to produce flankers-of-flankers, but a guy can dream, right?

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by Latency View Post
    Jumping on the Aventus bandwagon. 10 sprays, right to the balls.
    Feel the burn....so much burning.......

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Iíll stick to caffeine. I tend not to wear fragrances before the gym anyway, and I donít think sniffing the lid, etc. would really give me much of a kick or be uplifting for more than a few seconds.
    If you are really dialed in to what you expect a workout to accomplish for you, this is the obvious answer.

None of my fragrances give me a "kick like cocaine." What have I been doing wrong?

I have gotten my hands on some oil, smells like polo green. Exactly like polo green bottle, I don't wanna waste good cologne for nasty sweet down, but I will use the oil, the smell is really soft like Tabacoo like sweet, gives off a nice smell, well before going to gym and before getting this oil, I was using eternity Aqua or cool water , or even Vince Camuto for men

Yeah but what fragrance should one choose for the car ride over to the gym?

How about the fragrance of choice for when I tell myself I should go to the gym and then don't and instead drink 4 beers?

Basenotes Junkie

Dior Homme Cologne gives me a boost of confidence. If I went to the gym and if I chose to wear a fragrance, it would be one or two sprays of Nautica Voyage, which gives me no kick or energy, but is simply clean and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    Dior Homme Cologne gives me a boost of confidence. If I went to the gym and if I chose to wear a fragrance, it would be one or two sprays of Nautica Voyage, which gives me no kick or energy, but is simply clean and fresh.
    Clean and fresh is a good way to go, especially if you're using something so cheap.