Code of Conduct
o

Default Disposing of failed experiments.

How do you dispose of yours? I've got quite a few 'muds' that need to be thrown out and I want to be environmentally conscious about it. Certainly my projects are very small scale but disposal of these liquids concerns me none the less.

Default Re: Disposing of failed experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaB View Post
    How do you dispose of yours? I've got quite a few 'muds' that need to be thrown out and I want to be environmentally conscious about it. Certainly my projects are very small scale but disposal of these liquids concerns me none the less.
    I mean, if they are really small samples you could probably flush them down the toilet. But obviously that isn't recommended.

Just take them to wherever your local waste management company would have you deliver paint and other things containing potentially dangerous solvents to.

I put it in a glass bottle for use in household cleaner products that I do.
    I love to do that! Because I always get a different smell experience on using it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    Just take them to wherever your local waste management company would have you deliver paint and other things containing potentially dangerous solvents to.
    ^^^^^exactly this!

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I applaud all of you for thinking conscientiously.
    I don't want to. I don't have to. You can't make me. I'M RETIRED.
    Currently wearing: Mira Baï by Chopard

Thank you for this thread!

Formerly, I actually did rely on the method Paul jokingly referred to in a recent post (pouring on the back fence post) but no longer have that option, so this suggestion was great information. I had not yet come up with any plan.

In all seriousness, I don't see any problem with evaporation as a disposal method when one is located where that's no problem. After all, essentially all marketed aromamaterials are evaporated, excepting those that go into wastewater (not good) or are never used and end up in the landfill. But when living in close quarters, evaporation is no good.

And in many instances (various synthetics), incineration is probably better. Which I expect is the fate when disposed of as if it were paint thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Thank you for this thread! Formerly, I actually did rely on the method Paul jokingly referred to in a recent post (pouring on the back fence post) but no longer have that option, so this suggestion was great information. I had not yet come up with any plan.In all seriousness, I don't see any problem with evaporation as a disposal method when one is located where that's no problem.
    I do have 'fence posts' (ha ha) -- live on a farm upstate NY -- but lots of creatures and beasties abound + ponds and streams + well water. So....Galaxolde on the loose = yikes! But evaporation does seem totally acceptable (I would think?), like pouring crap perfume on a paper bag or other absorbant material and just letting it evap. away outside in the sun until gone, then throw away absorbant material in the garbage. Easily done in small amounts, or one could do the hazmat 'barrel o crap' that when full is carted off to proper waste facility.

I'm leaning towards evaporation + I am trying not to use aquatically dangerous materials -- at least not liberally in my often muddy crapolla. I don't even throw out plastic pipettes. I quadruple rinse them in alcohol. A microscopic bit of cross contamination really doesn't mean much to me at this stage of the game.

Many thanks to all who have answered! And you're very welcome Bill, for my starting this thread. Timely -- given the state of the planet.

Basenotes Member

I have previously used evaporation as a disposal method, too.
    If the mud is tolerable, pouring on some pot pourri works (I only work in small batches at the moment).
    My mum also has some tall dry (probably fake) woody grass in a pot on the landing, and she doesn't mind me tipping the odd vial in there when I go to visit - instant reed diffuser!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DanaB View Post
    I do have 'fence posts' (ha ha) -- live on a farm upstate NY -- but lots of creatures and beasties abound + ponds and streams + well water. So....Galaxolde on the loose = yikes! But evaporation does seem totally acceptable (I would think?), like pouring crap perfume on a paper bag or other absorbant material and just letting it evap. away outside in the sun until gone, then throw away absorbant material in the garbage. Easily done in small amounts, or one could do the hazmat 'barrel o crap' that when full is carted off to proper waste facility.

I'm leaning towards evaporation + I am trying not to use aquatically dangerous materials -- at least not liberally in my often muddy crapolla. I don't even throw out plastic pipettes. I quadruple rinse them in alcohol. A microscopic bit of cross contamination really doesn't mean much to me at this stage of the game.

Many thanks to all who have answered! And you're very welcome Bill, for my starting this thread. Timely -- given the state of the planet.

Surely, We live in a near desert, that gets no rain for months, so evaporation is not an issue for runoff. But you must consider your own place environment...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.