Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: Beau de Jour to become part of Tom Ford's signature line?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    They’d already pulled something similar with Ombre Leather, formerly known as Ombre Leather 16 under the Private Blend line.
    Yeah, but both scents are slightly different (OL16 has a violet note that is missing from OL18).

I do wonder how they'll have tweaked the BdJ formula to distinguish this Signature release from the Private Blend.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    It should be about £60-80 ($50-65ish) on the grey and new second hand market…
    Where can I find a UK fragrance vendor who uses your currency conversion calculator and ships internationally?

The original is still readily available in Sweden.

Can regularly be had at 25% off so approx €350 for the 250ml flacon and €135 for the 50ml bottle.

Will be interesting to see what this new rendition will cost. And if it's 1:1 the same fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Where can I find a UK fragrance vendor who uses your currency conversion calculator and ships internationally?
    Haha - whoops...!
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Sambuccashake View Post
    The original is still readily available in Sweden.

Can regularly be had at 25% off so approx €350 for the 250ml flacon and €135 for the 50ml bottle.

Will be interesting to see what this new rendition will cost. And if it's 1:1 the same fragrance.
    I'd be half tempted to pick up a 250ml flacon to be honest if it's around the £1/ml mark. Harvey Nics has it for £400 and had a £100 off sale about a month ago, and I very nearly bought it - but honestly, if the new scent is exactly the same, there's no need. The issue becomes if they've ruined it with a reformulation - then you might see the private blend bottles become a lot more sought after. I have about 20ml of a 50ml bottle remaining. I'm happy with that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Private Blend denotes some sort of exclusivity much like Dior/Chanel have their exclusive lines. It's just a bit of a weird move to randomly pull fragrances and say...well this isn't exclusive anymore. It doesn't make much sense.
    I agree, he would do better to just release these fragrances in his signature line from the start instead of fleecing those who pay full retail Private Blend prices only to find out 6 months to a year down the road that the fragrance has been re-released at a steep discount. It sort of kills the image of exclusivity that he is trying to accomplish with the Private Blend line.

Beau de Jour is an excellent fragrance, I picked up my Private Blend bottle recently at one of the "Cosmetics Company Store" outlets that you find in outlet malls. It was $120 for a 50 ML.

I'm also not a huge fan of the new bottle I would rather have seen these in bottles like TF for Men or Grey Vetiver.
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

It is perverse that the 'exclusive' line vastly outnumbers the standard, affordable line of scents...on the surface at least.

But if you walk to the Tom Ford section as a normal enough punter who's willing to splash out on a £100 bottle as a show of extravagance for a present etc., then imagine being met with the option paralysis that the Private Blend line has. No, unfortunately, all the fragheads who lavishly lap up the Private Blend releases in spite of the frequency of new releases dictates that it makes sense for them to have it this way round. I do think they'd be better off slowing down and releasing more BdJs and fewer of their 'didn't make the cut but were designed to the same brief' scents, which it feels like the Vert and Fougere lines may well have been doing.

And one thing - they could definitely have released Oud Minerale as a signature scent. It's no weirder than Noir Anthracite in the grand scheme of things, and could easily be the artistic aquatic scent that totally reshaped expectations. But as it's too expensive for most, it just stays weird and exclusive.

And one thing - they could definitely have released Oud Minerale as a signature scent. It's no weirder than Noir Anthracite in the grand scheme of things, and could easily be the artistic aquatic scent that totally reshaped expectations. But as it's too expensive for most, it just stays weird and exclusive.
    But Noir Anthracite was kind of a failure! It was undoubtedly profitable given the steep markup on these releases, but it has already been discontinued, suggesting it wasn't a big hit. It feels like an experiment that didn't work out for them.

Signature scents get produced in larger quantities than the Private Blend stuff and have wider distribution. So Tom Ford/Estee Lauder is understandably a little more cautious about what gets released on that scale (and stuff like the recent Metallique release feels *very* safe).

I think they've been using the PB releases to do a kind of large-scale focus group, and shifting the stuff they're confident in downstream. Noir was the peer of Noir de Noir, Noir Extreme was a kind of loose reinterpretation of some popular PBs, OL18 was a stripped-down version of the PB "leather" scents, Metallique was a riff on the Soleil Blanc style...

BDJ is now the "mainstream" stand-in for all the faux-barbershop stuff Tom Ford has been playing with in recent years.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 28th December 2019 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    But Noir Anthracite was kind of a failure! It was undoubtedly profitable given the steep markup on these releases, but it has already been discontinued, suggesting it wasn't a big hit. It feels like an experiment that didn't work out for them.

Signature scents get produced in larger quantities than the Private Blend stuff and have wider distribution. So Tom Ford/Estee Lauder is understandably a little more cautious about what gets released on that scale (and stuff like the recent Metallique release feels *very* safe).

I think they've been using the PB releases to do a kind of large-scale focus group, and shifting the stuff they're confident in downstream. Noir was the peer of Noir de Noir, Noir Extreme was a kind of loose reinterpretation of some popular PBs, OL18 was a stripped-down version of the PB "leather" scenes, Metallique was a tiff on the Soleil Blanc style...

BDJ is now the "mainstream" stand-in for all the faux-barbershop stuff Tom Ford has been playing with in recent years.
    Yes, and that's probably the issue - Oud Minerale would likely fail as well. That said, I can't help but feel a lot of it is truly due to branding: I can see why Noir Extreme is liked, but the black bottle Noir...honestly, I don't get it. I cannot see how either of those are big sellers among male buyers if they're sampling them beforehand. If Anthracite were in the Noir bottle, just black and no 'flanker' element to it, I'd hazard a guess and say it would sell significantly better. Oud Minerale...hmmm, tough to say. It probably is a bit weirder than I give it credit for, and I myself have found the opening too hard to deal with on a daily basis.

I agree with all the rest. Definitely used as a trial run. Given that the first rumours of discontinuation were in June, you have to say that that decision was taken in May at the earliest, which is literally 3-4 months after general release. You don't discontinue something that soon after release unless you've planned to do so beforehand, I would have thought - and YSL's chopping of Rive Gauche can't have been a major factor, as I think Fougere d'Argent is the Rive Gauche replacement, not Beau de Jour.

They do seem to be much more cautious about releasing scents in to the signature line in general. I would hazard a guess and say the relative failure of several male scents - ebony and spice in Anthracite; citrus, woods, and florals in Noir EDT - and the female line, with releases like Sahara Noir, means they're (presumably) only producing what they trust will 'work'. Beau de Jour will work. Definitely. Ombre Leather clearly did, and is unlike anything they already have. Metallique should sell well enough. Any future release, presumably, needs to fit that brief - no more flankers of flankers, or tweaks of existing scents like with Noir.

Although, having said that, can you imagine if Fougere d'Argent also makes its way to the signature line? TF really could clean up in the barbershop-wave genre.

I think Fougere d'Argent is the Rive Gauche replacement, not Beau de Jour.
    People keep saying this but I just don't see it!

Fougere d'Argent is a warm, smoky-woody oriental scent, an exercise in quasi-futuristic synthwood abstraction.

I like Fougere d'Argent a lot, but I don't see it as a parallel to Rive Gauche, which is a barbasol/soapy-lavender thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    People keep saying this but I just don't see it!

Fougere d'Argent is a warm, smoky-woody oriental scent, an exercise in quasi-futuristic synthwood abstraction.

I like Fougere d'Argent a lot, but I don't see it as a parallel to Rive Gauche, which is a barbasol/soapy-lavender thing.
    I would say Rive Gauche, Gucci Envy, and Fougere d'Argent all exist at different points on the same spectrum. FdA is certainly closer to RG than BdJ in my view.

I would say Rive Gauche, Gucci Envy, and Fougere d'Argent all exist at different points on the same spectrum. FdA is certainly closer to RG than BdJ in my view.
    I've never tried Gucci Envy (though I did briefly consider buying its current-market stripped-down clone, Tabac Man Fire Power, to get a sense for its vibe).

I still don't see the Rive Gauche connection to FdA and find BdJ a little closer in ambience, but I can agree with you that Fougere d'Argent could easily transition to the Signature line.

Banned

BDJ is better than RG.
    Smart move by TF

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    BDJ is better than RG.
    Smart move by TF
    I agree.

Orderered my bottle from Selfridges, looking forward to comparing it with my PB one!

Really hoping they’re not so different, been hunting for a 100ml or 250ml bottle for a while and the prices weren’t exactly encouraging. Best I came across was, €300 for 100ml and €495 for 250ml

IN relation to the RG and TF's - I actually really dig Azzaro for a RG substitute (not the best word... 'parallel' perhaps) - in fact I like it much better. Although RG was a top choice for the wedding I recently went to - it is 'cautious'in its performance - only really making noses pick up in the short period after spraying. Azzaro has all the barbershop lavandery goodness with a warm anisic bubble that I need. Rough opening yet is awesome for the rest of the journey. Lol however, there must be something about RG - I'm teeetering on pulling for a stupid priced bottle of even the new stuff!
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Tested it today on skin,its like a refine version of rive gauche,but if i was catching a whiff from someone passing by me i couldnt tell the difference.

So BdJ is similar to or better than Rive Gauche?
    I have to try this again. I was in Nordstrom and comparing it to Tuscan Leather, and I felt like TL blew it out of the water. I didn't even get an Azzaro PH or shaving cream vibe, but I think these were both on a paper tester. I'll go back and try BdJ on my skin and see what the dry down is like.

Quote Originally Posted by nikthegreek View Post
    Tested it today on skin,its like a refine version of rive gauche,but if i was catching a whiff from someone passing by me i couldnt tell the difference.
    Was that the private blend, or the signature line?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    So BdJ is similar to or better than Rive Gauche?
    I have to try this again. I was in Nordstrom and comparing it to Tuscan Leather, and I felt like TL blew it out of the water. I didn't even get an Azzaro PH or shaving cream vibe, but I think these were both on a paper tester. I'll go back and try BdJ on my skin and see what the dry down is like.
    I don't think they are too similar.

But BDJ is leaps and bounds better.

To my nose, BdJ is closer to Azzaro than to anything else.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

If one was looking for an interesting alternative to Rive Gauche they should try Milano Cento EDP instead of BDJ.

Was that the private blend, or the signature line?
    It was the private line..i m not so good to describe notes but to my nose is 70% rive gauce if you are familiar with the scent,mixed with mint and something smokey.BDJ in the opening is like the drydown of RG,then as the time passes it gets smokey and minty with that RG vibe.You really have to test it yourself to judge it.
    I think is superb and more luxurious than RG.I will defenetly buy it if they release it in mainstream line and lower price of course.Its 130 euro for 50 ml right now.

Well good news, as it's no longer an if, but when. It's physically for sale in department stores in the UK, and I imagine will be more prominent next week than it was this weekend. The US the same. £117 for 100ml - $129 apparently.

The bottle is seriously good. It has the tacky gold label that all Tom Fords do, but Tom Ford will be Tom Ford.

Poster on Reddit (in the UK) got his hands on a bottle (and has the picture to prove it!). Says he can't detect any difference to the Private Blend release, even wearing both on different arms simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    Poster on Reddit (in the UK) got his hands on a bottle (and has the picture to prove it!). Says he can't detect any difference to the Private Blend release, even wearing both on different arms simultaneously.
    I'm shocked. But that's a win for those who waited to grab a bottle.

I love the look of the new bottle and am def snagging it when available. It's a lovely scent.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    Fantastic news. Do you have a link?

Fantastic news. Do you have a link?
    jqg0ORm.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/fragrance/c...re_collection/

Second and foul wearing this time, and as somebody mention, its like a high end shaving cream,like the most fine shaving cream you can imagine.I got over 12 hours longevity ,i wouldnt say it projects like crazy but with 3 4 sprays you will get noticed.Its very mature and serious vibe so it will fit guys over 30 35 i would say, i dont think it will be a mass hit like savauge is.Its deffenetly an update version of YSL Rive Gauche,In the very drydown i can smell a sauvage vibe like abroxan and pepper but that shaving accord never gets away from the smell.I m gonna spend 130 for a 50 ml,cant wait for the cheaper release..lol..have a nice new years evening everyone!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast