Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
o

Default Re: Beau de Jour to become part of Tom Ford's signature line?

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    Thanks for your impressions, it's a shame they changed it, but not completely unexpected. Sounds like if this one is a favorite it's time to grab some private blend backups while they are available at a discount.
    The changes aren't dramatic - I wouldn't recommend rushing out and buying a Private Blend bottle in the slightest. Not at all. This is close enough and, arguably, due to the less prominent projection, you may well prefer the signature release as it's not as insistent.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I would not draw the conclusion it is changed based on one man's wearing. Often times perfumes smell differently on different days; it is completely likely that this perfume smells differently today and that tomorrow he will think "Oh, I am wrong this is the exact same I recall!".
    All very true not to take my views as gospel, definitely not in order to go out and buy one or the other prematurely, but I can promise you there are noticeable enough differences that even on the first try I can safely conclude they've very much 'cheapened' it. And by that, I mean used some of the signature line DNA which has that 'hairspray' quality from Ombre Leather, though it's much less pronounced here, and fortunately disappears much sooner. While I don't doubt that I will experience different facets on different wears, I currently have the PB on one hand and a respray of the signature line on the other, and it's like...the signature line would be cloudier, murkier, lighter, and less dense, where the Private Blend is much more transparent, sharp edges and lines, and denser and deeper if you had to 'visualise' them. In terms of scent, I prefer the herbaceous elements of the original, but by the drydown, it's honestly only projection that separates the two. I've got the amber in the signature line, and that's the main thing I was worried about/wanted them to keep.

I know the Tom Ford DNA better than probably any other house. Private Blend and signature. The differences of those are stark to me, and where I typically prefer the signature line DNA - or at least used to - over the PB, Beau de Jour worked beautifully with the ACs used in the original release. Here, it still works of course, but for the first 10-15 minutes, if you know the original well enough, there's no way you can say they're identical. It would be like making pizza by hand - you can take all the same steps, with the same intentions, and maybe replace, let's say, the cheese to make the second one a bit cheaper, but even then there will be some unforeseen differences in the outcome. This is the signature Beau de Jour - different for those who know, exactly the same for those who don't or who don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    True enough. It may be nearly identical. Since it's pretty easy currently to find the 50 ML Private Blend bottles at a hefty discount for $120 or less at a certain B&M discounter it's not a bad idea to grab an extra "Just in Case".

There are subtle differences between OL16 and the Signature release so it wouldn't surprise me if we see the same here.
    Yes, it's precisely that, subtle differences.

I will be testing this soon when will hit the market as i already got a private blend bottle and i have been wearing it a lot lately.I wouldnt mind if it is tammed down a bit as 2 sprays of the private blend could be nuclear.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I would not draw the conclusion it is changed based on one man's wearing. Often times perfumes smell differently on different days; it is completely likely that this perfume smells differently today and that tomorrow he will think "Oh, I am wrong this is the exact same I recall!".
    This. Fragrances often smell a bit different day to day, hour to hour, depending on temperature, environment etc. My experience on Basenotes generally is that posters are WAY too quick to start shouting about reformulations etc - to borrow the phrase re economists, BN members have predicted 10 of the last 5 reformulations! I wonder how many of these 'reformulations' would be seen in a blinded smell test - not many I'd wager.

I am very familiar with the Private Blend release and own it myself. I could not detect any difference between that and a decent spray in a shop. Even moreso, someone I know who is very experienced with TF fragrances and owns many - including a full bottle of BdJ PB - bought the Signature release before Christmas and gave both releases several side by side wearings. He can't detect any difference either.

It just doesn't make any sense to reformulate it. Many folks like to convince themselves that expensive and niche fragrances are full to the brim with expensive, natural ingredients yet there is usually very little evidence to support this assertion, and most of these claims have their roots in brand marketing. If people think that Tom Ford, as just one arm of the giant Lauder conglomerate, are using any appreciable level of rare or valuable ingredients in their fragrances, they're kidding themselves - the same production line producing the most expensive TF fragrance is producing the cheapest tat in the Lauder portfolio straight after, and I'd imagine there's little difference in the cost. At the end of the day, fragrance - especially for large companies like TF / Lauder - costs very little to make. I'd be surprised if the juice inside a 100ml PB bottle cost more than $2. The bottle itself is very likely to cost far more, with the largest cost being marketing - which of course persuades people that Brand X is 'worth it'!

I'll be getting a few bottles of the new BdJ (for splits) once I can get it in continental Europe where it's cheaper and I'll be giving it a thorough workout then. Until then, my assumption is that both releases are the same.

Basenotes Plus

What you don’t know won’t hurt you. If you like the Signature Beau de Jour it’s probably best not to track down the Private Blend version. More often than not perception and preconceived ideas tend to color our actual experience even if the difference is subtle.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    This. Fragrances often smell a bit different day to day, hour to hour, depending on temperature, environment etc. My experience on Basenotes generally is that posters are WAY too quick to start shouting about reformulations etc - to borrow the phrase re economists, BN members have predicted 10 of the last 5 reformulations! I wonder how many of these 'reformulations' would be seen in a blinded smell test - not many I'd wager.

I am very familiar with the Private Blend release and own it myself. I could not detect any difference between that and a decent spray in a shop. Even moreso, someone I know who is very experienced with TF fragrances and owns many - including a full bottle of BdJ PB - bought the Signature release before Christmas and gave both releases several side by side wearings. He can't detect any difference either.

It just doesn't make any sense to reformulate it. Many folks like to convince themselves that expensive and niche fragrances are full to the brim with expensive, natural ingredients yet there is usually very little evidence to support this assertion, and most of these claims have their roots in brand marketing. If people think that Tom Ford, as just one arm of the giant Lauder conglomerate, are using any appreciable level of rare or valuable ingredients in their fragrances, they're kidding themselves - the same production line producing the most expensive TF fragrance is producing the cheapest tat in the Lauder portfolio straight after, and I'd imagine there's little difference in the cost. At the end of the day, fragrance - especially for large companies like TF / Lauder - costs very little to make. I'd be surprised if the juice inside a 100ml PB bottle cost more than $2. The bottle itself is very likely to cost far more, with the largest cost being marketing - which of course persuades people that Brand X is 'worth it'!

I'll be getting a few bottles of the new BdJ (for splits) once I can get it in continental Europe where it's cheaper and I'll be giving it a thorough workout then. Until then, my assumption is that both releases are the same.
    It makes total sense to reformulate it when you're selling it for a third of the original price.

I'd question what you're smelling if you say you smell no difference, because it's definitely different. Massively? No. But the fixatives and some of the not-listed-as-notes aromachemicals used are definitely different, hence the hairspray accord that is in Ombre Leather as well. That's not a question of smelling it differently on a different day - that's "there", that's the body of the scent. It's inarguably different. The 'ingredient' aromachemicals are identical to my nose, even if they have used cheaper or different iterations, but wear differently, as you'd expect - my guess, but only a guess, would be there is a slightly less oil used. The differences were immediately obvious to me based on wearing and sampling the original enough to have it seared in to my memory in a very accurate way. I've applied again this morning, and went through a 10 minute test on the back of my hand before leaving - and it's exactly the same as I said last night. Weaker, lighter, a more noticeable lashing of geranium and basil and patchouli in the mix than the lavender and rosemary blast that makes the first 20 minutes of the original so amazing, for me, personally.

If someone smells no difference and another person does smell a difference, does that make them equal? Or does it make one more likely than the other...?

Either way, there's definitely a difference, particularly in the opening, when it's much less lush and dense. You can try and use all the old 'subjective' and 'unreliable' paths but there we go, we'll see over time - lots of people won't care about the differences, but some will.

I have no skin in the game trying to convince people or mislead them or mislead myself that there are differences. I'd much rather it was identical. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    It makes total sense to reformulate it when you're selling it for a third of the original price.

I'd question what you're smelling if you say you smell no difference, because it's definitely different. Massively? No. But the fixatives and some of the not-listed-as-notes aromachemicals used are definitely different, hence the hairspray accord that is in Ombre Leather as well. That's not a question of smelling it differently on a different day - that's "there", that's the body of the scent. It's inarguably different. The 'ingredient' aromachemicals are identical to my nose, even if they have used cheaper or different iterations, but wear differently, as you'd expect - my guess, but only a guess, would be there is a slightly less oil used. The differences were immediately obvious to me based on wearing and sampling the original enough to have it seared in to my memory in a very accurate way. I've applied again this morning, and went through a 10 minute test on the back of my hand before leaving - and it's exactly the same as I said last night. Weaker, lighter, a more noticeable lashing of geranium and basil and patchouli in the mix than the lavender and rosemary blast that makes the first 20 minutes of the original so amazing, for me, personally.

If someone smells no difference and another person does smell a difference, does that make them equal? Or does it make one more likely than the other...?

Either way, there's definitely a difference, particularly in the opening, when it's much less lush and dense. You can try and use all the old 'subjective' and 'unreliable' paths but there we go, we'll see over time - lots of people won't care about the differences, but some will.

I have no skin in the game trying to convince people or mislead them or mislead myself that there are differences. I'd much rather it was identical. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    We'll have to agree to disagree but I don't accept it's "definitely different", "inarguably different", or anything of the like - my *belief* is that it is the same, or so close as to be imperceptible. That is the opinion of other posters on this thread too - in fact, your post is the only I have seen suggesting significant differences. I don't claim to have a particularly brilliant nose, but I do have far more exposure to fragrances than most (I do splits) and I like to think I know my way around them.As to cost, if it costs $2 to make the juice in a PB bottle, I don't think it makes commercial sense to go through the process (and cost) of reformulating just to save 50 cents a bottle on the contents - they've probably saved a lot more than that in using a cheaper bottle alone.

Having said all that, individual perception definitely differs from person to person. I just had (another) bottle of Oud Wood delivered today. It's popular with my buyers as being a suave scent and one of the best selling PBs........yet I think it smells like celery! And I doubt TF spent all that money to make something that smells like that noxious vegetable! So maybe we're both correct!

This (6:30 if anyone wants to skip the review and go straight to the comparison) echoes my thoughts/I would largely agree with their judgement 'the first 15 minutes are different' before growing closer (if weaker) than the original through the duration of the drydown.

At the end of the day there's minimal difference but as with everything if there are 9 positive reviews and 1 critical, I tend to give the critical one a bit more of a listen when it's well supported and fair. Why? Because it shows an honesty to write something in spite of the online consequences - of being called unreliable, not trustworthy, 'why would they change it' etc., which no one really wants. Had I written "guys, it's identical" on the other hand - the virtual rewards, if you can call them that, would have been better - people would be excited by that assessment and respond positively.

For the sake of reducing the price by two thirds of the scent, these changes are more than acceptable in my opinion. But they're there. I still really, really like it - but don't love the opening. It's a fair sacrifice for basically the same drydown and the price difference.

Any ideas when this will hit the US retail stores and pricing for the 50ml and 100ml?

Basenotes Plus

I seen this on Fragrantica this evening, I’m interested I have never smelled this fragrance but it sounds like my style and something I would enjoy. I look forward to buying a bottle once I’m able to!

Confirmed check Fragrantica they have an article and pics of the bottle.

Really need to get out and try this one. Maybe I’ll get some time off at the weekend to take a sniff or two.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Confirmed check Fragrantica they have an article and pics of the bottle.

Does anyone else get a Platinum Egoiste vibe from BdJ? I know they're both fougeres and share similarities but, to my nose, I was struck by the similarities. I'm smelling my sample of BdJ again and now it seems spicier than PE though. It could just be me.

EDIT: I'm trying to avoid redundancies in my wardrobe as I'm not a collector is all .
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Can't attest to Platinum Egoiste similarities as I haven't tried it, but I left a (very) long review on fragrantica of the differences I detect in the re-release. Another wear today, no change of opinion.

Checked our local Von Maur, our lone source for Tom Ford locally (and boy does it sell, especially Ombré Leather which constantly sees shortages), and ran into my fave SA. She had been briefed on the Private Blend launch locally, but not on Beau de Jour. I informed her of the latter - she was excited about it and liked the concept.

Affordability was big for her. She also liked how customers that don’t have the bucks for a $235/1.7 oz (50 ml) Private Blend will still be able to get a new $138/1.7 oz Signature Collection product - and one that started as a Private Blend to boot, just like big-seller Ombré Leather.

She expects both Beau de Jour and the Private Blends to come within the next few shipments after discussing the former. Probably the same shipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Turns out there is no difference.

Interesting you think that.

Canadian friends !
    Beau de Jour is available on Hudson’s Bay website (100ML)
    and Sephora’s website (50ML and 100ML) !

Blind bought it as I’m looking for a fresh and manly signature scent in the vein of Drakkar Noir but less outdated. Hope I’ll love it !

I tried this out, its nice but its a pass for me, I am not a fan of Lavender heavy scents , some said it was similar to YSL's Rive Gauche, I disagree, Rive Gauche is more focused on Anise and is far more muskier. Personally I find Rive Gauche much better.

Just blind bought this based off the descriptions given here at Basenotes but i don't find the similarities with Rive Guache at all and am not familiar with Zino to comment but i do find it steering in that Third Man direction. Its not the most unique fougere but one of high quality, very green and aromatic with herbs and spices and does have a beautiful shaving foam vibe, after a full wearing i'm very pleased with it.
    #wackpack

Quote Originally Posted by tgaguirre View Post
    Any ideas when this will hit the US retail stores and pricing for the 50ml and 100ml?
    https://www.ulta.com/beau-de-jour-ea...pimprod2013717

Basenotes Junkie

Interesting - Ulta is upcharging. Pricing is $128 for 50ml on TF’s website.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I believe I also saw them upcharging $5 on Chanel EDP men’s Bleu and Allure Sport Extreme. I will have to look again but remember seeing $130 3.4oz bottles hmm. Chanel.com also rose the price from $120 to $125 their choice anyways their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    Yeah, also noticed Nordstrom has the upcharge, but Neiman has it at $128.

Basenotes Plus

Soon it will be on maxaroma and fragrancenet I will bite then could be sooner than later anyways, really looking forward to getting my nose on it.

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

IMO, Beau de Jour is pretty clearly in the genre/range of a Nicolai New York Intense / Bois du Portugal. I think Beau de Jour is very well blended and the only real way to smell this is thru sillage, not a direct wet strip. I got extremely lucky that the shop where I sampled Beau de Jour sprayed it on a cotton ball. I didn't immediately buy until I walked outside in the cold air and held the cotton ball a few inches from my nose while I walked to simulate a 'sillage' of the scent. I immediately did a 180-degree turn and went back into the mall and bought this. Imagined wearing this on a cold day wearing nice clothes and someone smelling this coming off me in the air. It's 'stunning' when taken in in this scenario. This scent works really well as a 'style'/setting scent. I don't want to compare it to Bois du Portugal because Beau de Jour is more of a designer with an almost niche touch while Bois du Portugal has a very rough lavender and gorgeous center. Beau de Jour is more neat, less risky and more likely to appeal to more noses throughout its scent life, while Bois du Portugal requires quite a bit of dry down to get to the gorgeous central theme. Ultimately they are different from each other when compared side by side, but I think they share a genre.
    Last edited by tspencer; 31st January 2020 at 12:37 AM.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hmm,

IMO, Beau de Jour is pretty clearly in the genre/range of a Nicolai New York Intense / Bois du Portugal. I think Beau de Jour is very well blended and the only real way to smell this is thru sillage, not a direct wet strip. I got extremely lucky that the shop where I sampled Beau de Jour sprayed it on a cotton ball. I didn't immediately buy until I walked outside in the cold air and held the cotton ball a few inches from my nose while I walked to simulate a 'sillage' of the scent. I immediately did a 180-degree turn and went back into the mall and bought this. Imagined wearing this on a cold day wearing nice clothes and someone smelling this coming off me in the air. It's 'stunning' when taken in in this scenario. This scent works really well as a 'style'/setting scent. I don't want to compare it to Bois du Portugal because Beau de Jour is more of a designer with an almost niche touch while Bois du Portugal has a very rough lavender and gorgeous center. Beau de Jour is more neat, less risky and more likely to appeal to more noses throughout its scent life, while Bois du Portugal requires quite a bit of dry down to get to the gorgeous central theme. Ultimately they are different from each other when compared side by side, but I think they share a a genre.
    Hey! Wish you a happy 2020!

Are you referring to the PB or the new release?

Thanks!
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast