Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Beau de Jour to become part of Tom Ford's signature line?

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Attachment 119132
    Got this in last week. Love it.

I smell some difference to my private blend sample, though i didnt notice much from memory. A side by side illuminated. Its a bit weaker, and just a bit different. I found it a bit drier and less green than the private. I like it a bit more. My wiife said it smells like medicine. Lol. Lavendar.
    Great pick up! I am going to be going with my first full wearing this upcoming Monday for work. I will be the Dapper King. I wear ties to work for my job when no one else does. That's just my thing. I will definitely rock this stuff when I'm wearing nice clothes out in the Winter months. There is something magical about this scent in cold air. One of the best cold weather fragrances I've ever smelled.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Great pick up! I am going to be going with my first full wearing this upcoming Monday for work. I will be the Dapper King. I wear ties to work for my job when no one else does.
    That. Is. FANTASTIC.

Every single morning marks the beginning of a new day, and each new day is a new opportunity to decide if you are who you want to be. Do you want to be dapper? Hell yeah. Be it.

I'm looking forward to sampling Beau de Jour, but for now, 1725 is my dapper scent and I love it.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Nio
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Millésime Impérial
    Grey Vetiver EDP
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Aqua Universalis

Have to say the deep dry down is better than the opening.

Also has anyone realised that this is a good one to layer with? Accidentally tried some on with Dior Sauvage EdT and it works really well!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Just flicking back through this - I do wonder if Beau de Jour was the right name for selling this fragrance to aspirational middle America. 'Beau' - feminine, french. Also people won't understand what it translates to, let alone understand the play on words, and it doesnt give any indication what it actually smells like. Its success surely depends on word of mouth and status to bridge that language gap in the non-French speaking parts of the US, Europe and wherever else the commercial success of BdJ is reliant upon.
    After trying multiple french to english translation sites, to me Beau de Jour basically means Beautiful by Day. Beau kept coming up as beautiful and de jour is by day. So Beau de Jour seems like a petty spot on name IF the smell matches the name. I might be completely wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway I'll need to drop by my local Nordstroms to have a sniff and maybe get a little decant from the SA.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    After trying multiple french to english translation sites, to me Beau de Jour basically means Beautiful by Day. Beau kept coming up as beautiful and de jour is by day. So Beau de Jour seems like a petty spot on name IF the smell matches the name. I might be completely wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway I'll need to drop by my local Nordstroms to have a sniff and maybe get a little decant from the SA.
    I would presume it's a play on the name of the 1967 film Belle de Jour which caused quite the scandal back in the day in its depiction of the life of a beautiful prostitute. Beau de Jour is simply a masculinised version of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post

Also has anyone realised that this is a good one to layer with? Accidentally tried some on with Dior Sauvage EdT and it works really well!
    I finally retried BdJ in this new incarnation. I'm still not keen on the opening, but agree with the deep dry down. Will have to give it a few more full wears before deciding for certain if I want a full bottle or not.

This is great stuff, and finally a Tom Ford fragrance that isn’t linear/one note. Definitely similarities to Eau Suavage parfum in the drydown. Lovely.
    One of the very few fragrances I’ve tried recently that might be full bottle worthy.
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Great pick up! I am going to be going with my first full wearing this upcoming Monday for work. I will be the Dapper King. I wear ties to work for my job when no one else does. That's just my thing. I will definitely rock this stuff when I'm wearing nice clothes out in the Winter months. There is something magical about this scent in cold air. One of the best cold weather fragrances I've ever smelled.
    Let us know how it went today
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Sampled it, love it, will be buying a bottle soon.

Had the opportunity to try this one and it slipped my mind. Will try it soon. I betting that I'll like my private blend better, but we shall see.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Yep.

Beau de Jour is the best amber fragrance Tom Ford has made. I'll happily defend that.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

No matter how many times I try it, I seem to end up concluding that the base is too similar to Jovan Sex Appeal, Tom Ford's own Noir and Eau Lente by Diptyque.

The opening does have a lot of lavender and some patchouli making it similar to Guerlain Heritage in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I feel like Beau de Jour is the midway point between Zino and Rive Gauche, but greener than either thanks to patchouli.
    Totally agree!

And I really do think Tom Ford does a great job of updating or modernizing classic scents. I can't help thinking that Grey Vetiver was inspired by Guerlain Vetiver, Noir was inspired by Habit Rouge and Heritage, and even Noir Anthracite has some DNA from Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (among others).

Also for those wondering, in terms of the Private Blend VS Signature version, I haven't tested them side by side, but I remember the Private Blend being slightly cozier, more plush. The current version, which I just bought a bottle of, is slightly lighter overall, but has greater sillage and lift, due to what I believe is a large increase of ambrox in the basenotes, which also makes it last 24+ hours. I put some on yesterday and it's still going strong on my wrists this morning.

Banned

I have the PB BDJ. Should I also get the common man version or is the PB better (or at least same)?

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I have the PB BDJ. Should I also get the common man version or is the PB better (or at least same)?
    They're so different it's not even funny cameron. The Private Blend may just be one of the best fragrances ever created, and at the very least top 3 for Tom Ford. The new one is literal garbage water. I mean it's alright if it came in at a price point of $20 at CVS, but for Tom Ford prices it's crazy. Longevity is about two minutes and I had my girlfriend smell it and she thought it smelled like soap and axe.

Very mixed opinions on pb and mainstream line..i m very curious of how it actually smell-perform.

Dependent

This is very good. Light, yet substantial, if that makes sense. It’s well blended and yet there is good note separation. I find it to be a very vivid scent; almost ‘three dimensional’ in nature. Good performance, too.

Not interested in how it was as a PB. If anything, this lighter SL version would probably be preferable to me, anyway.

Just needs to be added to the Fragrance Directory, now

Banned

If it’s equal or inferior then I won’t buy the signature. I already own Pb.

I made the mistake of buying ombré leather signature after already owning Pb. My problem with the Pb bottles is that they’re not easy to travel with while the signature version is. So now I have both Ombré and rarely wear either. They smell about the same to me.

No matter how many times I try it, I seem to end up concluding that the base is too similar to Jovan Sex Appeal, Tom Ford's own Noir and Eau Lente by Diptyque.

The opening does have a lot of lavender and some patchouli making it similar to Guerlain Heritage in that aspect.
    Mmm.. yes. I seem to not be able to think of anything else but Zino with this?!

It definitely has a "luxe Zino" feel.

I think BDJ is good, and I'm glad TF is putting this DNA kinda/sorta back in the mainstream (TF isn't *really* mainstream, but is mainstream-adjacent), I just can't quite muster the enthusiasm to recommend it at retail.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Mmm.. yes. I seem to not be able to think of anything else but Zino with this?!
    Gatsby Pacoma (niche zino)
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Gatsby Pacoma (niche zino)
    Interesting. I wouldn't have thought they were similar just looking at their note lists.

Beau Du Jour, while I do enjoy it a lot, I'm waiting for it to be more readily available at online discounters. Like all TF, the asking price is too high. But if I can find it at a reasonable discount, like 15-25 percent off, I'll eventually get a bottle.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

I finally purchased the Signature version of Beau de Jour after sniffing the sample of the PB one for a few weeks. I was worried based on so many contradictory reviews but, to my nose, it's an absolute gem. In fact, I prefer it just a tad bit over the PB version owing to a bit more freshness, at least, at the moment.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Beau Du Jour, while I do enjoy it a lot, I'm waiting for it to be more readily available at online discounters. Like all TF, the asking price is too high. But if I can find it at a reasonable discount, like 15-25 percent off, I'll eventually get a bottle.
    +1 waiting for it to hit Maxaroma or Fragrancenet then I’m jumping on it. Missed a good deal on sales forum a month or two ago ha bummed but will be on either discounters very soon!
    “I find fragrance to be such a mood enhancer and definitely a seduction tool.”

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    +1 waiting for it to hit Maxaroma or Fragrancenet then I’m jumping on it. Missed a good deal on sales forum a month or two ago ha bummed but will be on either discounters very soon!
    Definitely don't pay full price. FYI I snagged a brand new 50ml tester for 85 on one of the FB groups.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Definitely don't pay full price. FYI I snagged a brand new 50ml tester for 85 on one of the FB groups.
    So $170 for a 100ml...which is $10 off retail..

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    So $170 for a 100ml...which is $10 off retail..
    Nyet. 100ml is going for 135-140 on the FB groups. You don't double the price just because it's twice as much haha.

Neiman has a $50 off $200 promo right now (till 4/4) with code SELFCARE. It's $128 for 50ml and $180 for 100ml. Add another item to get it over $200 and you get $50 off. Still not a straight discount, but wanted to put it out there in case someone finds it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Neiman has a $50 off $200 promo right now (till 4/4) with code SELFCARE. It's $128 for 50ml and $180 for 100ml. Add another item to get it over $200 and you get $50 off. Still not a straight discount, but wanted to put it out there in case someone finds it useful.
    That's great. Especially, if there are few things on one's list.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast