Code of Conduct

Default 4 Methy Guaiacol ?

AKA Valspice @ PA -- CAS# 93-51-6

Can anyone tell me if has a worthwhile effect in a formula at the restricted level of .01% ? If not, what might be a safer replacement for that 'spicy, smokey (campfire smoke) fragrance with nuances of deep fruit and leather' as it's described on PA?

Default Re: 4 Methy Guaiacol ?

Yes, it will have a noticeable effect at that level. If you wish to bolster it then try guaiacol and vanilla cresol.

Thank you Pears!

This stuff is hideously strong. .01% is about the usuage level for it. To me it smells precisley like a brown sugar spiral sliced ham with cloves stuck into it. So far I've only used it a couple of tiimes so I do need more experience with it.

Being a lover of smokey things I have a few and I've bought them for different reasons. If you want smoke for minerals, leather, salt etc. Get birch tar rectified. If your making a modern mens perfume there is a different birch product. If your making incense get hydrocarboresin. If your making paper on fire or rose on fire there's others.

Valspice can be used in vanilla reconstructions and heavy gourmand types. It can be used in chocolate accords. It can be used in carnation.

If you want spicy use valspice, if you want campfire use birch tar, if you want nuances of deep fruit use Fir absolute and if you want even more leather there is labdanum and/or ambrain.

The only time that you might need more is if you're making a niche product, or adding it to cosmetics containing a strong alkali (the resulting phenoxide will be less pungent).

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    .....smells precisley like a brown sugar spiral sliced ham with cloves stuck into it. Get birch tar rectified. .
    Oh dear, not looking for ham! I have birch tar and the others you mentioned. Better way to go.

Birch tar contains 4-methyl guaiacol (Valspice), so you will still need to be careful. It also contains 4-ethyl guaiacol, which also smells quite meaty. Guaiacol lacks the same degree of meatiness to my nose, so you can bolster it with a little of that if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    Birch tar contains 4-methyl guaiacol (Valspice), so you will still need to be careful. It also contains 4-ethyl guaiacol, which also smells quite meaty. Guaiacol lacks the same degree of meatiness to my nose, so you can bolster it with a little of that if you like.