Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    Banned

Default Re: eBay: A nightmare for sellers too

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissochka View Post
    You absolutely should block this buyer.
    Yep.

Sure enough, this d-bag outbid everyone to win the item and then I never heard from him again. Why do people do this? What do they get out of it? (that's a serious question, not rhetorical). The guy followed the auction closely enough to put in a winning bid with 2 minutes left, and then once he won it, he never paid or responded to any of my messages attempting to communicate with him.

F**ker.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Sorry to hear this happened.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sorry to hear that buysblind.
    I had someone outbid everyone on the fragrance I was selling only to go dark on me. I tried contacting the person to no avail. Then I filed Unpaid Item case with eBay, and the second eBay issued me refund for the fees, the dude gets back to me claiming there was an issue with his friends PayPal. He tells me Ebay is putting another unpaid item strike on his account and he is working with another seller to resolve it (like I care). Even promised me extra twenty for my trouble. Kept nagging me for a couple of weeks and thankfully went away.
    I have a couple of ideas in my paranoid mind why they do it: 1. I honestly believe they are trying to commit fraud but something went south on their end - eg they are using stolen card via PayPal and card got declined, or 2. Competition. I do not believe it is buyers remorse, because all they have to do is just ask to cancel transaction if they don’t want it - happened to me a couple of times - a person won, realized they made a mistake, asked me to cancel a transaction, and we all part as friends - I get fees back, and the person keeps clean record- we are all adults here.
    I hate and despise eBay, and I honestly wish there was another medium for getting eye balls on your items!!

I hate and despise eBay, and I honestly wish there was another medium for getting eye balls on your items!!
    So it's not just me then with a voodoo doll bearing eBay's name on it?
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Ha, I have about 10 of those dolls. I am running out of needles!!

Banned

Sorry to hear that buysblind.
    I had someone outbid everyone on the fragrance I was selling only to go dark on me. I tried contacting the person to no avail. Then I filed Unpaid Item case with eBay, and the second eBay issued me refund for the fees, the dude gets back to me claiming there was an issue with his friends PayPal. He tells me Ebay is putting another unpaid item strike on his account and he is working with another seller to resolve it (like I care). Even promised me extra twenty for my trouble. Kept nagging me for a couple of weeks and thankfully went away.
    I have a couple of ideas in my paranoid mind why they do it: 1. I honestly believe they are trying to commit fraud but something went south on their end - eg they are using stolen card via PayPal and card got declined, or 2. Competition. I do not believe it is buyers remorse, because all they have to do is just ask to cancel transaction if they don’t want it - happened to me a couple of times - a person won, realized they made a mistake, asked me to cancel a transaction, and we all part as friends - I get fees back, and the person keeps clean record- we are all adults here.
    Thanks.

Yeah, that sounds really annoying. The most obnoxious part about it is the fact the guy refused to communicate with you at all until all of a sudden when he gets the unpaid item strike.

Unfortunately (and I know it doesn't help anyone out), I don't have the patience for going through the unpaid item process because I don't want to lose the other bidders who may take a "second chance offer" if I get to them quickly enough. If I wait for the unpaid item process to go through, the other bidders have mostly moved on at that point. So I just cancel the order and send second chances to other bidders, and of course these guys can then get away with it again. I agree with you that I think competition is a big part of it. I had a bottle of something for sale that the high bidder just "went dark" on, and not one person even responded to my second chance offers for it. I'm convinced at least 3 different bidders were just "competition" who had no intention of paying as they never responded to me, and when I placed the item at Buy it Now for significantly less they still didn't go for it. That doesn't make sense, unless there's something shady going on. I also think there are a lot of buyers who just like to bid on stuff without taking the commitment seriously, and they just want to see themselves win, but don't really care about buying it--not necessarily malicious people, just irresponsible and flaky.

From now on, with the exception of a very few select items, I'm just going the "Buy It Now" route. It saves a lot of stress and headaches, even if it doesn't always get you the most money possible. I don't have the wherewithal for auctions anymore.

Ha, I have about 10 of those dolls. I am running out of needles!!
    Lol...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    From now on, with the exception of a very few select items, I'm just going the "Buy It Now" route. It saves a lot of stress and headaches, even if it doesn't always get you the most money possible. I don't have the wherewithal for auctions anymore.
    This. And I thought I was alone in this too. The power of a buy it now with an option to require “immediate payment” is quite good.

But of course eBay is coming up with other “innovative” ways to get sellers to drop their prices continuously (because that’s clearly how any business works... start from a price and then count backwards!) until a certain “benchmark” level is reached. This of course is not a true benchmark level as it compares the prices of different bottle sizes of the same fragrance and uses the smallest size as the benchmark. If you are selling a larger bottle of that fragrance, your benchmark price will be ridiculously low...

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Yep.

Sure enough, this d-bag outbid everyone to win the item and then I never heard from him again. Why do people do this? What do they get out of it? (that's a serious question, not rhetorical). The guy followed the auction closely enough to put in a winning bid with 2 minutes left, and then once he won it, he never paid or responded to any of my messages attempting to communicate with him.

F**ker.
    Ah yes.... this is an easy one.....and I say that as a former long-time Seller who recently closed all accounts with Ebay and will NEVER BE BACK.

BUYERS.......such as this.....are MOST LIKELY sellers who have either the same item listed for a higher price or something similar. By purchasing your item for the highest price ( and with NO INTENTIONS on ever paying ), your item is now OUT OF CIRCULATION and if shit comes to shove, Ebay always sides with the buyers. It's Sellers-be-damned.

It was stuff like this.....PLUS.....unscrupulous buyers who would outright lie about the items condition once it arrived that drove me literally out of business. The worst ones were out of country 3rd party buyers who would use someone inside the USA to buy ( since you wouldn't ship to their respective countries) and have it shipped twice......so they could DEFRAUD YOU on the items condition.......KNOWING EBAY would side with the buyer once the dispute was settled.
    My signature is written in ancient Aramaic using invisible ink that's scented by a unique and secretive combination of birch tar and saffron infused with a wispy rendition of garlic.

https://soundcloud.com/user-614798616
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    Ah yes.... this is an easy one.....and I say that as a former long-time Seller who recently closed all accounts with Ebay and will NEVER BE BACK.

BUYERS.......such as this.....are MOST LIKELY sellers who have either the same item listed for a higher price or something similar. By purchasing your item for the highest price ( and with NO INTENTIONS on ever paying ), your item is now OUT OF CIRCULATION and if shit comes to shove, Ebay always sides with the buyers. It's Sellers-be-damned.

It was stuff like this.....PLUS.....unscrupulous buyers who would outright lie about the items condition once it arrived that drove me literally out of business. The worst ones were out of country 3rd party buyers who would use someone inside the USA to buy ( since you wouldn't ship to their respective countries) and have it shipped twice......so they could DEFRAUD YOU on the items condition.......KNOWING EBAY would side with the buyer once the dispute was settled.
    That is horrible! Whenever I look at items I always look at the "sold" and "completed" items to gauge the fair market and see what transactions actually occurred and what people really paid for things, or when things went below list because of best offer. So those shady sellers falsely bidding and jacking things up won't influence me since their transactions don't show there. Of course that doesn't do much for the poor seller whose item is temporarily out of circulation. I would think that Ebay should have some kind of check on the sort of seller behavior you describe. - Just Awful.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Essence Rare by Houbigant

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    That is horrible! Whenever I look at items I always look at the "sold" and "completed" items to gauge the fair market and see what transactions actually occurred and what people really paid for things, or when things went below list because of best offer. So those shady sellers falsely bidding and jacking things up won't influence me since their transactions don't show there. Of course that doesn't do much for the poor seller whose item is temporarily out of circulation. I would think that Ebay should have some kind of check on the sort of seller behavior you describe. - Just Awful.
    Yea.....it is awful. It wasn't always that way though. Things started to go awry about 5 years ago like the proverbial boiling frog.

By getting your item out of circulation, they are, in effect, removing the "current" competition. Now, it's not always another seller doing it, but there is enough unscrupulous ones ( with great feedback ) that are present and accounted for. Also, the shill bidding has never been adequately addressed, so that's still happening to a degree.

It's simply too lopsided with "buyer protection" at the expense of sellers. The small, independent sellers get hurt the quickest and the worst. The Power-sellers ( of which I was once categorized ) either intentionally or unintentionally "collude" with price fixing. When a group of them, having very similar inventory come across a seller ( on a regular basis ) who is undercutting their "set" prices ( thereby upsetting their apple carts ), they will find a "way" to get your item(s) out of circulation.

Not all fragrance Power sellers do this.....but enough of them do to %$#@ everything up for the small guy.
    My signature is written in ancient Aramaic using invisible ink that's scented by a unique and secretive combination of birch tar and saffron infused with a wispy rendition of garlic.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Yea.....it is awful. It wasn't always that way though. Things started to go awry about 5 years ago like the proverbial boiling frog.

By getting your item out of circulation, they are, in effect, removing the "current" competition. Now, it's not always another seller doing it, but there is enough unscrupulous ones ( with great feedback ) that are present and accounted for. Also, the shill bidding has never been adequately addressed, so that's still happening to a degree.

It's simply too lopsided with "buyer protection" at the expense of sellers. The small, independent sellers get hurt the quickest and the worst. The Power-sellers ( of which I was once categorized ) either intentionally or unintentionally "collude" with price fixing. When a group of them, having very similar inventory come across a seller ( on a regular basis ) who is undercutting their "set" prices ( thereby upsetting their apple carts ), they will find a "way" to get your item(s) out of circulation.

Not all fragrance Power sellers do this.....but enough of them do to %$#@ everything up for the small guy.
    Most of the antics you accurately described are what have chased me 90% out of the vintage game. I got tired of hype-induced gouging and collusion. If I'm going to pay $400 for a freakin' perfume, it needs to be on the level of my vintage Jicky extrait or something like Oud Infini: totally unique, nuclear performance, and unforgettable. The kind of perfume you only need 1 bottle of and will never smell any semblance of elsewhere. So many things getting hawked and scalped, ghost-bid and monopolized, are nowhere near that.

Likewise, a seller shouldn't have to worry about all this dishonesty just to offload something they may just honestly not care about enough to sell "competitively". I've seen plenty of lower price listings bought within hours of posting, then higher-priced ones magically having more quantity available. It's like you said, market control. That, or they buy then cancel. I've even had sellers lie about the condition of a bottle I bought to talk me into a refund because they wanted to relist it higher after realizing they were well below the average. The guy sent me the bottle and it worked just fine.

People treat this @#$% like it's Wall Street and it's not even anywhere near that level. I've been much happier exploring niche as of late. All I need is a good local boutique or frag site like FragranceNet. No fighting or anxiety necessary.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Voyageur by Jean Patou

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Most of the antics you accurately described are what have chased me 90% out of the vintage game. I got tired of hype-induced gouging and collusion. If I'm going to pay $400 for a freakin' perfume, it needs to be on the level of my vintage Jicky extrait or something like Oud Infini: totally unique, nuclear performance, and unforgettable. The kind of perfume you only need 1 bottle of and will never smell any semblance of elsewhere. So many things getting hawked and scalped, ghost-bid and monopolized, are nowhere near that.

Likewise, a seller shouldn't have to worry about all this dishonesty just to offload something they may just honestly not care about enough to sell "competitively". I've seen plenty of lower price listings bought within hours of posting, then higher-priced ones magically having more quantity available. It's like you said, market control. That, or they buy then cancel. I've even had sellers lie about the condition of a bottle I bought to talk me into a refund because they wanted to relist it higher after realizing they were well below the average. The guy sent me the bottle and it worked just fine.

People treat this @#$% like it's Wall Street and it's not even anywhere near that level. I've been much happier exploring niche as of late. All I need is a good local boutique or frag site like FragranceNet. No fighting or anxiety necessary.
    Can't argue with a thing you said. It's a sorry state of affairs and buyers need to use more discretion on what they buy, where they buy it and how much they spend on it.

I navigated those waters for years, as a BUYER, like everyone else and due diligence usually kept me out of harms way. Then the atmosphere changed and an "if you can't beat 'em-join 'em" mentality appeared within the seller realm. It's a shame for the sellers still there who have a moral compass and just want to do square business.

Like you said, if you're gonna pull the trigger, choose a respected site or two and do business there. My reasons for liking niche were simple. Their releases were fresh and ( for the most part ) different than the designer cookie-cutter creations.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have been an eBay buyer/seller since January 12, 1999. I have 223 transactions, the vast majority are buys. I was stuck once in a buy as the seller never sent the rare books I ordered and paid for via money order. He just laughed mockingly via email at my 'inability' to do anything about it). eBay of course did nothing. I located his residence in an Ohio town via internet Lets just say I got more than my money's worth in satisfaction, anonymously, when I made a very late night visit to his house a year later while on vacation about 30 miles from where he lived (verified his owned domicile at his local county courthouse that same afternoon) and leave it at that. I no longer sell on eBay but do buy on rare occasion.
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I have been an eBay buyer/seller since January 12, 1999. I have 223 transactions, the vast majority are buys. I was stuck once in a buy as the seller never sent the rare books I ordered and paid for via money order. He just laughed mockingly via email at my 'inability' to do anything about it). eBay of course did nothing. I located his residence in an Ohio town via internet Lets just say I got more than my money's worth in satisfaction, anonymously, when I made a very late night visit to his house a year later while on vacation about 30 miles from where he lived (verified his owned domicile at his local county courthouse that same afternoon) and leave it at that. I no longer sell on eBay but do buy on rare occasion.
    Now THAT......is square business. You have my R-E-S-P-E-C-T for how you handled that. There are people, in this world, that simply deserve getting an unexpected, late night visit. It's just the way it is.

KUDOS bro. I mean that sincerely.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Now THAT......is square business. You have my R-E-S-P-E-C-T for how you handled that. There are people, in this world, that simply deserve getting an unexpected, late night visit. It's just the way it is.

Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I wasn't aware Chuck Norris used Basenotes. Good show!

Also, I hope nobody was -hurt- in that encounter.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Voyageur by Jean Patou

Banned

Yikes!

Banned

Gotta say... I have to agree with this.

I have pretty much had so many similar experiences that I just put my request in to close my evilBay account. I have just about had it with these muppets. A seller has no rights on eBay and that's where the buck stops.

Negative experiences can definitely leave people jaded with ebay, but I also think many people have positive experiences every day. Like most areas of life, research and diligence can hold us all in good stead. I have had many positive and negative experiences on ebay both as a buyer and as a seller and sometimes got exasperated by fraudulent types. These types of threads are great because they help inform individuals about blatant red flags and to avoid a large portion of those negative experiences.

Unfortunately recourse for sellers isn’t great and hasn’t been for some time and ebay don’t seem to have done anything to rectify the situation. I remember ages ago when a seller could leave negative feedback for a buyer but ebay got rid of that option; when quizzed about it they just said people spend less money so we removed the option. It kinda says it all about what their priority is.

I fell that like prisons, the state of ebay is a reflection of wider society. As society improves ebay too will improve. Be upstanding and you will inevitably find others that are too.

I bought a bottle last week that was obviously either spoiled or fake. I got a 100% refund back this morning after sending it back. At least buyers are still protected for the most part.

It still sucks for sellers, though. An expensive and risky proposition.
    Currently wearing: Sutton Place by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Member

I sold a bottle of Original Vetiver a couple of years ago and the Buyer open a case stating it was fake!

eBay ruled in my favor due to the following:
    - In the listing, I provided a mfg lot # that matched the one on the box
    - I provided eBay an original purchase receipt
    - I sent an article that highlights how fragrances will react + or _ based on a person's skin chemistry
    - I placed strong emphasis on my 100% feedback as a Seller, especially with fragrances

Long story short, what a pain!

Basenotes Member

I have an open case now.
    The fragrance I purchased was a fake and eBay will send my Refund in a couple of days.

Talk about being sleazy, the buyer has not accepted the return through USPS.
    Furthermore, the buyer originally tried to send me a return label outside of eBay.

This reminds me of a saying I heard when I first moved to the South.

"If my mother raised a fool, it must of been my brother!"

Unfortunately, It has taken a couple of weeks to get this resolved and definitely not worth the hassle.

In the future, I will buy direct or go through Fragrancenet, FragranceX, or Luckyscent.

I recently sold my Sauvage 100ml EDP on ebay for £49.00
    I must admit I did fear being scammed by the winning bidder possible crying "fake" to ebay. So I changed the account setting to only allow bids from members with a certain number of feedbacks. I had one email from a guy with only 1 feedback asking me was this genuine item? I clearly stated on the auction it is authentic and that I have over 950 positive feedback, so why ask this question? I smelled danger and blocked him from bidding and probably saved myself a great deal of hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by 3boysmad View Post
    I sold a bottle of Original Vetiver a couple of years ago and the Buyer open a case stating it was fake!

eBay ruled in my favor due to the following:
    - In the listing, I provided a mfg lot # that matched the one on the box
    - I provided eBay an original purchase receipt
    - I sent an article that highlights how fragrances will react + or _ based on a person's skin chemistry
    - I placed strong emphasis on my 100% feedback as a Seller, especially with fragrances

Long story short, what a pain!
    This is actually very good feedback. It goes to show they can be persuaded to side with the factually correct, but it is a lot of hassle and given that sellers can’t provide negative feedback, it’s pretty poor.

I’ll still be closing my account...