Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default eBay: A nightmare for sellers too

I've been culling my collection quite a fair bit (taking decants of stuff I still want, and selling the bottles) and have used eBay for this (mostly) as it means reaching a wide audience and a quick sale. However, I have encountered the odd awkward or shifty buyer on there. It seems eBay have put Buyer protection so far in front of Seller protection, it seems the scammers have now moved to Buying rather than Selling now. It's now widely know there's not much recourse for Sellers to defend themselves against awkward or scam buyers, with eBay almost always siding with the buyer every time:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...yer-protection

Just recently, I sold a bottle of Jordan Legend to a guy who started screamng "fake" because the scent didn't match either the full note pyramid or his expectations ("I can't smell ANY coffee in this!. WTF"). Somehow he didn't stop to consider why people would fake an obscure cheapie, that has no sufficient consumer demand.

The shouting of "fake" because a scent doesn't match expectations is a story we're all familiar (and thoroughly bored with) on here, but it becomes more frustrating when it effects you as a seller AND you don't have much recourse against it. Has anyone else had bad seller experiences in this vein? 99% of sales have gone off without a hitch for me, but it's these bad apples that spoil the experience, and eBays current lack of backing up their sellers makes it doubly frustrating.

Another story I have, is one guy - a month after buying his fragrance - asks me for the delivery tracking number. Now, I immediately had alarm bells, as why would someone wait so long to flag something as not received? My only conclusion was that they were angling for a scam by assuming I had got rid of the tracking number (to which they would reply they hadn't received the item) and would file a Not Received claim, getting a refund and the item for free. I called their bluff by saying I did have it (i didn't, as it was long-gone) and that - as a possible mail theft - I'd be glad to help by raising this as a potential police matter. Needless to say, I got a message the same day: "No worries, I've found the item now"
    "I learned to work the saxophone...I play just what I feel....Drink Scotch whiskey all night long....And die behind the wheel
    They got a name for the winners in the world...I want a name when I lose...They call Alabama the Crimson Tide...Call me Deacon Blues"

Default Re: eBay: A nightmare for sellers too

Quote Originally Posted by EasyToAssemble View Post
    I've been culling my collection quite a fair bit (taking decants of stuff I still want, and selling the bottles) and have used eBay for this (mostly) as it means reaching a wide audience and a quick sale. However, I have encountered the odd awkward or shifty buyer on there. It seems eBay have put Buyer protection so far in front of Seller protection, it seems the scammers have now moved to Buying rather than Selling now. It's now widely know there's not much recourse for Sellers to defend themselves against awkward or scam buyers, with eBay almost always siding with the buyer every time:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...yer-protection

Just recently, I sold a bottle of Jordan Legend to a guy who started screamng "fake" because the scent didn't match either the full note pyramid or his expectations ("I can't smell ANY coffee in this!. WTF"). Somehow he didn't stop to consider why people would fake an obscure cheapie, that has no sufficient consumer demand.

The shouting of "fake" because a scent doesn't match expectations is a story we're all familiar (and thoroughly bored with) on here, but it becomes more frustrating when it effects you as a seller AND you don't have much recourse against it. Has anyone else had bad seller experiences in this vein? 99% of sales have gone off without a hitch for me, but it's these bad apples that spoil the experience, and eBays current lack of backing up their sellers makes it doubly frustrating.

Another story I have, is one guy - a month after buying his fragrance - asks me for the delivery tracking number. Now, I immediately had alarm bells, as why would someone wait so long to flag something as not received? My only conclusion was that they were angling for a scam by assuming I had got rid of the tracking number (to which they would reply they hadn't received the item) and would file a Not Received claim, getting a refund and the item for free. I called their bluff by saying I did have it (i didn't, as it was long-gone) and that - as a possible mail theft - I'd be glad to help by raising this as a potential police matter. Needless to say, I got a message the same day: "No worries, I've found the item now"
    Thank you for sharing this. I've had a similar experience with a couple of buyers. One was after I sold a bottle of fragrance. Once he received it, the buyer kept asking me how do I know it's authentic. I told him I wouldn't knowingly sell a fake and reminded him I accept no hassle returns. He never replied. Another one was after I sold a pair of authentic Kiton suede loafers I bought from Italy. I described the exact shade of color and of course included pics. He waited until after he paid to ask what color it was! Grrr..... Not only that, but when the return deadline was approaching, he messaged me saying that that color wasn't what he expected. Sigh...I told him about my no hassle return policy. No reply.
    Weird people!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Unfortunately there are so many unscrupulous and dishonest people both among sellers and buyers.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I agree 100% with everything you said and it’s exactly why I quit selling on eBay.

It’s not that EVERY sale is met with this kind of thing...actually most of them aren’t. But they ARE getting more frequent because eBay ALLOWS them to get away with what they’re doing.

And when scammers DO appear, it can create major headaches for the seller, not to mention affect their feedback adversely. Feedback is everything on eBay, so if they ruin that, they’ve ruined YOU as a seller.

It’s gotten to where even the risk, or potential risk, of dealing with these people is such a negative experience that it’s just not worth it anymore. And it certainly takes the fun out of selling.

Buy?...yes! Sell?...not anymore. It’s just not worth the headaches.

I’ve often wondered how the big time sellers on eBay with 100% feedback keep it perfect. Some sellers have multi-thousands of sales with 100% feedback. I don’t know how they do it, but kudos to them.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post

I’ve often wondered how the big time sellers on eBay with 100% feedback keep it perfect. Some sellers have multi-thousands of sales with 100% feedback. I don’t know how they do it, but kudos to them.
    It seems the businesses are using it more than private sellers. They have the resources to handle returns and won’t be as adversely affected by bad buyers, but it’s a lot more hassle dealing with these people if you’re a private seller.
    "I learned to work the saxophone...I play just what I feel....Drink Scotch whiskey all night long....And die behind the wheel
    They got a name for the winners in the world...I want a name when I lose...They call Alabama the Crimson Tide...Call me Deacon Blues"

While I personally have no experience selling on eBay, it is very unfortunate to hear that this is occurring regularly. Do you plan to sell on another platform as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    While I personally have no experience selling on eBay, it is very unfortunate to hear that this is occurring regularly. Do you plan to sell on another platform as well?
    The only other places I'm aware of are here in the Basenotes marketplace and Crystal Flacon. CF gets very little traffic through there anymore, however.

A lot of people apparently buy and sell on Facebook, but I'm not a member of Facebook and have no desire to be.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I quit selling fragrance on Ebay after I sold a bottle of Creed Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie, with box and insert. The buyer left me negative feedback without contacting me first, stating that she was "very disappinted (sic) with the scent." Like I made it in my bathtub or something. I had 100% perfect feedback after 300+ transactions until her. No more. Now I give or swap stuff away.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I quit selling fragrance on Ebay after I sold a bottle of Creed Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie, with box and insert. The buyer left me negative feedback without contacting me first, stating that she was "very disappinted (sic) with the scent." Like I made it in my bathtub or something. I had 100% perfect feedback after 300+ transactions until her. No more. Now I give or swap stuff away.
    Very unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    That stinks.
    Oh wait...no pun intended!

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry these uncomfortable turns of events happened to you, Easy.
    Thanks, everybody, for sharing your perspectives.
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.

Not to mention how much ebay takes in fees.

I sell here, as there are no scumbags and no fees

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    Not to mention how much ebay takes in fees
    That's the icing on the cake, seeing as how much they make off seller fees, but don't back them up when there's an issue.

Scammers gonna scam. You can’t beat them all. Just be sure to include very clear photos and more ‘boilerplate’ indemnity clauses to deter would-be scammers from buying your stuff. If it looks like you are ‘armed to the teeth’, I bet scammers will go look elsewhere for easier targets.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Junkie

No such experiences like this, at least with fragrances, but the system allows this to happen. And yes, the fees are becoming eye-watering. Looking forward to the day when I only own about ten things in total and have nothing to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    No such experiences like this, at least with fragrances, but the system allows this to happen. And yes, the fees are becoming eye-watering. Looking forward to the day when I only own about ten things in total and have nothing to sell.
    Amen to this! It's really becoming ridiculous and now the seller has to have postal insurance included as standard and cannot charge extra for it.
    Currently wearing: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

It's the WORST.

I recently sold a bottle of Creed Spice & Wood, Brand New and Unopened. The Buyer contacts me after receiving it accusing me of selling him a fake because it doesn't project enough to be a real CREED. I told him to hold onto the bottle for a few days and see if it improves. I also explained that it's not a strong fragrance, and this is well known, and that I have a bottle too and it's on the softer side. Three Days later he contacts me telling me he can't smell it after 10 minutes and knows it's a fake. So I'm left with my hands tied (even though my ad states "No Returns," that doesn't really mean anything according to eBay rules) and tell him to return it to me for a refund. I get the bottle in the mail, spray it on my arm, spray my bottle on the other arm...they smell EXACTLY the same. I can smell the fragrance 5 hours laters. Somehow he couldn't smell it 10 minutes later.

Now my Brand New bottle of Spice & Wood is USED, Opened, and 2 to 3 % is missing from all the sprays the guy used. On top of all of that, the buyer couldn't have been a ruder asshole, sending all messages in Caps Locks with exclamation points at the end of every sentence. LIKE THIS!!!!!!

Some people use eBay as their personal Sampling Shop, having never tried a fragrance, they buy it, brand new, open it, then decide they don't like it so they accuse the seller of selling a fake in order to return it and get their full money back.

eBay does nothing to protect the seller. You could have a score of 500 with all positive 5 star feedback and a guy who's never bought a thing and has a score of ZERO can cry fake and get over on you. It sucks.

If you're going to sell on eBay you have to understand that at one point or another you will run into a problem...and you will have to eat it.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    Not to mention how much ebay takes in fees.

I sell here, as there are no scumbags and no fees

The fees are the fees though. It's a business, and they've provided a platform for you to sell your stuff and attract customers from all over the globe. I'm not mad at them for that, though I agree they're pretty high. How they fail to protect sellers on the other hand...that's a different story. And the scumbags...I've encountered maybe one or two on Basenotes over 200 transactions. On eBay, there's like one for every 3 or 4 transactions. Especially when you're selling stuff like Creed, Amouage, Chanel and Dior...it seems to bring the dirtbags out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's the WORST.

I recently sold a bottle of Creed Spice & Wood, Brand New and Unopened. The Buyer contacts me after receiving it accusing me of selling him a fake because it doesn't project enough to be a real CREED. I told him to hold onto the bottle for a few days and see if it improves. I also explained that it's not a strong fragrance, and this is well known, and that I have a bottle too and it's on the softer side. Three Days later he contacts me telling me he can't smell it after 10 minutes and knows it's a fake. So I'm left with my hands tied (even though my ad states "No Returns," that doesn't really mean anything according to eBay rules) and tell him to return it to me for a refund. I get the bottle in the mail, spray it on my arm, spray my bottle on the other arm...they smell EXACTLY the same. I can smell the fragrance 5 hours laters. Somehow he couldn't smell it 10 minutes later.
    Probably his house is smelling of S&W quite strongly right now and he's realising that a few weeks after he got his refund... We've all been there, done that and got the t-shirt. I seriously hope we can all make use of the Marketplace here. It's one reason why I try to avoid eBay now at all costs.

eBay does nothing to protect the seller. You could have a score of 500 with all positive 5 star feedback and a guy who's never bought a thing and has a score of ZERO can cry fake and get over on you. It sucks.
    This is true but there is one small thing you can do to help yourself... by switching on buyer restrictions. Anyone with low feedback for example, those who return items regularly. There is a setting there somewhere - definitely make sure you have this on by default for all your sales.
    Currently wearing: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Too much fakery for my liking

Didn't EBay have to cough up $61,000,000 to LVMH as Louis Vuitton proved successfully that over 90% of their products sold on the site were fake?

It's f...ing ridiculous

I'm so sorry this is happening. Most of my vintage I buy on Ebay and a few other sites. I am proud of my buyer rating and protect it by not being an a-hole. I would never expect to be able to return any vintage or probably other perfume unless there was something really obvious going on, and I certainly wouldn't expect to be able to open something and then return it. I read the descriptions carefully, look at all the pictures, and ask a lot of questions. I've had some disappointments and had to call sellers on it when they inadequately packed stuff for shipping and it leaked everywhere, but aside from that I feel I am responsible for my choice to buy. I always check seller ratings and look at and read any negative reviews so I can see if they sound reasonable or not. I give positive and specific feedback when I can because I want the sellers to continue selling.

I hope there will still be a place for good sellers on Ebay over time. I've gotten great stuff there. I've noticed that some sellers, probably due to past experience, clearly state that they require a buyer to have positive feedback before selling to someone and I am very OK with that. If I were selling fragrances I would require that. Actually makes me trust the seller more because it is evidence they want to deal rationally and honestly and aren't afraid of experienced shoppers. Also have seen lots of disclaimers about not guaranteeing the scent, especially vintage, and I am OK with that unless I get it and it has been obviously doctored - only happened once. The majority of sellers I get perfumes from just don't accept returns but they are reasonable and will make partial refunds for certain issues. Now, I actually ask every seller before I buy a fragrance whether any of the liquid has been added to or replaced inside the bottle since coming into their possession. Amazing how much easier it is for me to avoid problems by asking questions, so sellers that include a prompt for people to ask questions just reminds them that they are responsible for their own choice to buy.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Insolent by Millot

Theres a ton of obvious fakes of tom ford, killian, nasomatto, etc. Yet they keep going afyer decant sellers

Question for you guys: Would you be wary of a potential buyer whose account shows the following:

1) Only has 3 feedback scores, all positive, from other sellers

2) Those feedbacks are from only June and July of this year (2019)

3) They're for very cheap items. Men's button down shirts that cost $4.99 and a woman's dress that cost $2.

4) They're now bidding on a fragrance that will likely cost over $200.

Do you think there are any red flags here I should be concerned about? Would you be wary about selling to this guy?

I'm considering just blocking this buyer now to avoid any potential issues, but I don't want to end up blocking an honest person who just happens to have been searching for this fragrance.

This is problem that eBay created from the very beginning; they refused to acknowledge buyers as their customers so they never acted in buyers' interests - ever. Buyers got fed up with endless seller scams, retaliatory feedback, flat out ripoffs with no recourse and generally lousy treatment. Despite there being no significant alternative, buyers left in droves. Ebay's long term response is to develop into an online mall that's entirely fixed price, large commercial sellers worldwide, and eventually push out the small sellers that were its business when it began.

In the short term, they swung the pendulum hard the other way to favor buyers; some of their ideas work, but most don't, and generally punish only honest sellers for whom such rules and restrictions were never needed. As a buyer, I really haven't seen a big decline in private sellers who are incompetent or dishonest. Many haven't the slightest awareness of the concept of customer service, seem to beg for negative feedback or for you to return the item at their own expense. It's truly inexplicable.

However, the current eBay policy is by and large necessary. The slightest tilt away from buyer orientation, and there are people waiting on the sidelines in droves to jump in and start scamming buyers again. Basically, it's a pick your poison decision and eBay picked one that was slightly better than the other.

Awful people out there. So sorry to everyone that this kind of stuff has happened/ happens to.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting stuff here.
    People use ebay as their personal sampling shop
    Don't like it, return it

Myself, I've done that with Macy's, but never ebay.
    Macy's you can return and opened bottle of cologne .

So there's noway to flag a bad buyers ?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm considering just blocking this buyer now to avoid any potential issues, but I don't want to end up blocking an honest person who just happens to have been searching for this fragrance.
    That's a tough call. I'm not a seller on Ebay, but if I were, I'd probably block him to avoid the potential hassle. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I've never had issues selling on ebay, but that is because I only sell sealed fragrances and I state "no returns" as I take a picture of the receipt of each fragrance I buy. So I make it clear I am not here to scam or be scammed.

EDIT: Now that I remember, one guy did try to get some money back from me because he claimed the cap was broken when he opened the fragrance. Turns out, by checking his feedback, I realized he bought my vintage La Nuit to resell it for $80 more and whoever bought from him was trying to scam him, so he was trying to offset that loss of money to me. He only tried one message though.

I’ve had a bunch of issues selling items on eBay as well. Every fragrance I’ve ever sold has been 100% authentic, and purchased by me from reputable sources. However, multiple times I’ve had someone tell me that the fragrance I’ve sold them didn’t 100% match the sample in their possession and wanted a refund. Mind you, some of these fragrances were Creeds, which have known batch variations. It’s very frustrating to deal with.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

You absolutely should block this buyer.
    Question for you guys: Would you be wary of a potential buyer whose account shows the following:

1) Only has 3 feedback scores, all positive, from other sellers

2) Those feedbacks are from only June and July of this year (2019)

3) They're for very cheap items. Men's button down shirts that cost $4.99 and a woman's dress that cost $2.

4) They're now bidding on a fragrance that will likely cost over $200.

Do you think there are any red flags here I should be concerned about? Would you be wary about selling to this guy?