Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: If Recommending One Fragrance For A Beginner To Start With (Given Our Experience And Knowledge)?

Narciso Bleu

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: If Recommending One Fragrance For A Beginner To Start With (Given Our Experience And Knowledge)?

Chanel Platinum Égoïste (1993)

It sits at a crossroads of sorts.
    It's old enough to be considered vintage, popular enough to still be respected by contemporary "FragBros", classy enough to compete with the Creeds and Rojas, even-tempered enough for most weather or contexts, and accessible enough price-wise that with a bit of saving and hunting, almost anyone with enough money to consider buying fragrance can obtain it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Chanel Platinum Égoïste (1993)

It sits at a crossroads of sorts.
    It's old enough to be considered vintage, popular enough to still be respected by contemporary "FragBros", classy enough to compete with the Creeds and Rojas, even-tempered enough for most weather or contexts, and accessible enough price-wise that with a bit of saving and hunting, almost anyone with enough money to consider buying fragrance can obtain it.
    Comprehensive response.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Comprehensive response.
    Thank you! I am nothing if not thorough!

Thank you! I am nothing if not thorough!
    I have noticed that many times around here. For beginners like me, your knowledge and contributions to the site are invaluable.

Freed from BN Institution

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

For getting into vintage, Egoiste, Antaeus, or Pour Monsieur would be good starting points.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

And I would have them try Rogue Perfumery, classic perfume styles being made today for reasonable prices.
    An introduction into the world of vintage styled fragrances.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have noticed that many times around here. For beginners like me, your knowledge and contributions to the site are invaluable.
    Just make sure not to take my word for anything (or anyone's word) if you're truly curious about something. I've uncovered things nobody else likes but me, and I wouldn't have if I had listened to the establishment all the time.

Just make sure not to take my word for anything (or anyone's word) if you're truly curious about something. I've uncovered things nobody else likes but me, and I wouldn't have if I had listened to the establishment all the time.
    This is a mantra for life, really

For me, Bleu is a bit boring when they need exciting

maybe something by Comme Des Garcons

I think what will actually grab a person's interest is always hard to predict. I was utterly disinterested in designer stuff--content to stick with my good ol' Polo Blue--until my wife had me try out the Tom Ford Private Blend line and I realized that fragrances might actually come in wide assortment of different styles. (I don't love the scent now, but the scent that started me on this journey was Tobacco Vanille.)
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

I'd recommend Dior Homme or Fahrenheit to someone. Both are relatively groundbreaking without being too experimental or quirky, all whilst being of very high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I think what will actually grab a person's interest is always hard to predict. I was utterly disinterested in designer stuff--content to stick with my good ol' Polo Blue--until my wife had me try out the Tom Ford Private Blend line and I realized that fragrances might actually come in wide assortment of different styles. (I don't love the scent now, but the scent that started me on this journey was Tobacco Vanille.)
    Honestly, I think Polo Blue is a good choice for a beginner. Actually, anything in the POLO family is a good jumping point.
    But if I had to recommend ONE frag to a beginner, I'd go with Aqua Di Gio. I think that cologne is a good beginner fragrance and one of the reasons why it sells so well.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

My kiddo's first cologne purchase of his own was Dior Sauvage. Mine was Polo Green.

Aventus.

I'd recommend they try a bunch of them and pick what they like.

I certainly wouldn't recommend any one fragrance as they might well not like it, for example Bleu De Chanel is popular but as with any fragrance there are stacks of people who don't like it. I wouldn't wear it that's for sure.

The only answer is a list of a good few recommendations that they can go pick from.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

The answer is, of course, it depends on the person. If I had received most of these suggestions when I first started looking at wearing fragrances 10 years or so ago my reaction would have been “meh”. I’m think you’d need to get to know the person and their tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I’ll recommend a few drops of aged Mysore sandalwood oil to show what a single high quality ingredient is capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    For me, Bleu is a bit boring when they need exciting

maybe something by Comme Des Garcons
    These. These would have blown my mind wide open to the possibilities of scent. I loved sandalwood long before I wore perfumes, and it was a CdG scent that showed me fragrances could be more than that perfumey miasma one encounters at the perfume counter of department stores.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    It would be more interesting to see those we would urge beginners to avoid. But, for recommendations: Terre d'Hermes (EDT) is one I started with and stuck with.
    I love this one but my husband hates it.

What I was able to gateway said husband into perfume with was Sartorial by Penhaligons.
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Something aquatic. Start light and work your way up.

Applying fragrance correctly is not just something you do - you have to learn how to do it. And when you find what works for you and everyone around you, it's best to have done that incrementally. It sets a far more favorable tone than consistently finding out what is enough by being told what is too much. It's the difference between meeting someone with a smile and polite handshake versus drunkenly dumping your beer on them.
    Currently wearing: Life by Nautica

Basenotes Plus

Probably Fahrenheit. It hooked me.

Secretions Magnifiques

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    Applying fragrance correctly is not just something you do - you have to learn how to do it. And when you find what works for you and everyone around you, it's best to have done that incrementally. It sets a far more favorable tone than consistently finding out what is enough by being told what is too much. It's the difference between meeting someone with a smile and polite handshake versus drunkenly dumping your beer on them.
    If you do not receive any complaints, you probably are not wearing enough. Stay heavy on the trigger.

Banned

EX-ACT-LY.

Extra advice:

- do not limit yourself to going to mainstream perfume stores (Sephora, malls...), but go to luxury dept stores (Neiman Marcus, Saks, Barneys, Bloomingsdale..) and test the most you can. (SA's will never say no for you to test stuff - and if they are grumpy, just ignore them, no one can forbid you to test).
    Note: do not buy anything there, just remember/write down what you liked, and go to buy it online (often, at half the price)

- while testing, if you feel better testing by yourself without having an SA holding your leg, just tell them.

- even in luxury stores, do not limit yourself to test only mainstream hyped stuff (Creed, Tom Ford, Bond), hang around, and discover new stuff, that is equally good (or imo often much better)

If you do not receive any complaints, you probably are not wearing enough. Stay heavy on the trigger.
    I just assume that most people who end up being the reason for a gymnasium or workplace bans on fragrances don't intend to do that, but are crippled in that regard by being the literal living definition of cluelessness.
    Currently wearing: Life by Nautica

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    EX-ACT-LY.

Extra advice:

- do not limit yourself to going to mainstream perfume stores (Sephora, malls...), but go to luxury dept stores (Neiman Marcus, Saks, Barneys, Bloomingsdale..) and test the most you can. (SA's will never say no for you to test stuff - and if they are grumpy, just ignore them, no one can forbid you to test).
    Note: do not buy anything there, just remember/write down what you liked, and go to buy it online (often, at half the price)

- while testing, if you feel better testing by yourself without having an SA holding your leg, just tell them.

- even in luxury stores, do not limit yourself to test only mainstream hyped stuff (Creed, Tom Ford, Bond), hang around, and discover new stuff, that is equally good (or imo often much better)
    Some places like Neiman's will chase you out if you test more than a few minutes without "buying signals" so you have to feel out how open the store is to that. Nordstrom doesn't care and neither does Barney's, but some places want you to spend or GTFO. I've had that experience at Neiman's before.

Neiman Marcus is an inhospitable place, IMO.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

It is a wonderful place if you spend money there, though.

I bought a bottle of Kilian and left with 5 or 6 different samples.

Basenotes Plus

Some places like Neiman's will chase you out if you test more than a few minutes without "buying signals" so you have to feel out how open the store is to that. Nordstrom doesn't care and neither does Barney's, but some places want you to spend or GTFO. I've had that experience at Neiman's before.
    I had that happen at Saks. I wanted to test a particular Creed and the SA kept pushing Bond St. She told me to quit wasting her time if I wasn't going to buy. I know one department store (cough cough Hoopers) that had most of the perfumes behind a counter and you literally had to ask to test each and every one.
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Amen

It is a wonderful place if you spend money there, though.

I bought a bottle of Kilian and left with 5 or 6 different samples.
    Problem is people who know they can get cheaper elsewhere may still buy there if the service staff is hospitable. It's why I pay full retail sometimes at Nordstrom's flagship. I know all the staff almost by heart and they'll yack with me for 15 minutes even if I'm just looking. Neiman's can't win on price in this market, so if they don't fix their snobbish traditions of cold sales help and pre-judging based on appearance, they'll be chapter 11 or chapter 7 bankrupt before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I had that happen at Saks. I wanted to test a particular Creed and the SA kept pushing Bond St. She told me to quit wasting her time if I wasn't going to buy. I know one department store (cough cough Hoopers) that had most of the perfumes behind a counter and you literally had to ask to test each and every one.
    There are no full-size Saks here, only the "Off 5th" overstock stores.

Moral of the story: test away but be mindful of sales help body language. Last thing you want is a security escort if they decide they don't want your money. If you find a shop where they really connect with you, they may be worth giving your money to rather than running to a discounter depending on your budget.

Anyways, this is about recommending scents, and mine's up thread. Sorry for the diversion!

Banned

Some places want you to spend or GTFO. I've had that experience at Neiman's before.
    I know, so did I. I just don't care and keep asking. Sometimes there are more SAs than customers in, I make them work haha. That's their job, if they're not happy, they are free to GTFO their job.
    They want "buy signals"? I give them, and most of the times I not only test a lot, but also get out with custom samples. That said I'm 6'3 with 250lbs and I'm straightforward, so when I ask an SA in a convinced manner in the eyes "do you mind if I test this or that", I rarely get a no. Actually, I never got a no. But I understand that someone a little unsecure doesn't feel good in these conditions. It's regrettable for dept stores, but in some ways, not surprising they get bankrupt if they act like that.