Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
o

Default Re: If Recommending One Fragrance For A Beginner To Start With (Given Our Experience And Knowledge)?

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Secretions Magnifiques
    I don't know why, but I literally want to put this as my answer in every thread that pops up asking for a recommendation. Most people use Sauvage as a silly fragrance to reference, but it's actually pleasant enough when projecting off of someone.

SM on the other hand...well...it's not for the feint of heart. What's weird is that I enjoy dirty/animalic fragrances, but SM comes off as SUPER metallic to my nose. Nauseatingly metallic, to be precise. All I smell is the blood note, and I simply cannot handle it.

Can you imagine being a young guy who doesn't know much about fragrances, and someone gifts you this? LOL! The reaction would be priceless IMO. I do sincerely feel that everyone should at least try to smell it if possible. If nothing more, just so you can say you've tried it. For a while there (even after smelling it), I had considered getting a full bottle, as I had found it for a decent price. However, I slept on it and now I can't get it that cheap. Oh well, I would never have worn it anyway. I just thought it would be a great conversation piece to have in the collection.

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: If Recommending One Fragrance For A Beginner To Start With (Given Our Experience And Knowledge)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I had that happen at Saks. I wanted to test a particular Creed and the SA kept pushing Bond St. She told me to quit wasting her time if I wasn't going to buy. I know one department store (cough cough Hoopers) that had most of the perfumes behind a counter and you literally had to ask to test each and every one.
    I would think that setup would annoy SAs working at Hoopers. I wonder if other department stores over in the UK follow this practice.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    some places want you to spend or GTFO.
    This is the definition of Macy's management.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times here: When you find a bad sales assistant, you've found a bad store. Don't blame the SA. They're doing their job as their manager wants them to do it, and if they aren't pushy enough they'll probably lose their job. They're pushy because that's what management demands.

When you find a bad sales assistant, you've found a bad store. Don't blame the SA. Blame the store.

Macy's is always my last resort. If I can find a scent anywhere else, I'll go somewhere else every time. Macy's hasn't figured out that building a relationship with customers means repeat business. All they care about is that you walk out the door with a purchase right now. Their slogan should be "Please dear god buy something now." I hate Macy's. "Have you tried Acqua Di Gio? I bet it would smell really good on you. Let me spray it for you. Isn't that wonderful? Can I ring you up a bottle?" Macy's is in so much trouble, many of their properties are worth more empty than full, and they're selling 'em.

Sephora takes the opposite approach. Their goal isn't to sell you something. Their goal is to make their store a place you want to come back to in the future, even if it means you walk out without buying anything today. They know that repeat customers are where the money's at. Nordstrom is sort of like that too, except Nordstrom is snooty (but they cater to a more upscale clientele than Sephora, so the snooty approach is a feature not a bug, though it bugs me).
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Would depend on the person's taste. Unless he/she just arrived from Mars he/she will have smelled some perfumes before.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

To answer the original question: One fragrance to recommend for a beginner... Acqua Di Gio. Over the past 20+ years, it has become the everyman smell. It's as good of a starting point as you'll get.

I started with Curve, and looking back, I'm glad that I did.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    To answer the original question: One fragrance to recommend for a beginner... Acqua Di Gio. Over the past 20+ years, it has become the everyman smell. It's as good of a starting point as you'll get.

I started with Curve, and looking back, I'm glad that I did.
    I contemplated both of these but ultimately chose Platinum Égoïste because it veers slightly upscale in style while still being generalist and likeable.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Not sure about recommending middle of the road, popular, mainstream fragrances, these kept me from having interest in fragrances for years (think Eternity, Cool Water, Obsession and so on). It's a bit like interesting someone in fashion and giving him a jeans and a white t-shirt. All depends on the person.

Dependent

I would always suggest people starting out to try Eau Sauvage Parfum. It exudes class and is very often overlooked.

Given my limited experience and knowledge of fragrances marketed at women, I'd suggest they try Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Femme.

My choices would perhaps be different if the beginner was happy spending higher prices than the aforementioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    I would always suggest people starting out to try Eau Sauvage Parfum. It exudes class and is very often overlooked.
    Yes, but given that it's discontinued in the US, I'm not sure that it's the best to suggest to a beginner (in the US, at least).

For a beginner, I'd recommend something that's easy to find, like some from the Dior Homme or Chanel Allure lines.

Some places like Neiman's will chase you out if you test more than a few minutes without "buying signals" so you have to feel out how open the store is to that. Nordstrom doesn't care and neither does Barney's, but some places want you to spend or GTFO. I've had that experience at Neiman's before.
    I think that Nordstroms recognize what's pretty obvious - it's not like the fragrance counter is a commodities trading pit. There's usually only a couple people there at a time. It's better to work with someone who may not be sending "buying signals" than to work with no one at all.

Higher volume, lower tier retailers may draw more people, and I think they can recognize early on when someone's there to test then go home and buy online from a discounter; there likelier to push off such a non-buyer because there's usually someone else there yet to be sized up.

If I were working on commission, I would not be too thrilled to spend time with someone just for the sake of being nice when the prospect of any return is obviously zero. But I bet that doesn't bother SAs half as much as being reminded of it by boors who actually tell them they're only sampling there but intend to buy elsewhere to save money. Yes, people are really that defective.

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

Sephora takes the opposite approach. Their goal isn't to sell you something. Their goal is to make their store a place you want to come back to in the future, even if it means you walk out without buying anything today. They know that repeat customers are where the money's at. Nordstrom is sort of like that too, except Nordstrom is snooty (but they cater to a more upscale clientele than Sephora, so the snooty approach is a feature not a bug, though it bugs me).
    This is why I've purchased more from Sephora than any other store. Just yesterday I ordered a bottle of Jazz Club from them online, and when I need to purchase skin care products in the future, I know where I'm going.

Blog Entries

Dior Homme
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Banned

I started with ADG. And then the next bottle I ever bought was Tuscan Leather. Interesting change.

Some places like Neiman's will chase you out if you test more than a few minutes without "buying signals" so you have to feel out how open the store is to that. Nordstrom doesn't care and neither does Barney's, but some places want you to spend or GTFO. I've had that experience at Neiman's before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Neiman Marcus is an inhospitable place, IMO.
    I dunno. I've had some bad experiences at Neiman Marcus (the MFK counter, for instance), but I've also had some really great experiences at the same store. The Kiehl's, Creed, YSL, and Guerlain SAs have been very nice. The Malle reps were always very patient with me when I started really sampling, though I could tell I was irritating them a bit, but as soon as I started buying from them, they've been great. I've built a good relationship with them, and today, when I picked up Carnal Flower, they gave me five other samples.

I've had nothing but good experiences at Saks, as well. My Dior rep there is so kind and friendly. She's trying to see if she can secure me a bottle of one of the private collection fragrances that is no longer marketed in the US. So far, she's only gotten me a sample of Mitzah, but she texts me regularly to let me know what's going on.

Macy's sucks. An aggressive SA tried to get me to try Sauvage, and when I told her that I didn't really like it, I may as well have just dropped dead on the spot by the way she looked at me.

Basenotes Plus

If I run into a beginner (in the U.S.) that can’t figure out how to get to a store/the mall and smell some fragrances to see what they might like, I don’t have a recommendation for them.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I dunno. I've had some bad experiences at Neiman Marcus (the MFK counter, for instance), but I've also had some really great experiences at the same store. The Kiehl's, Creed, YSL, and Guerlain SAs have been very nice. The Malle reps were always very patient with me when I started really sampling, though I could tell I was irritating them a bit, but as soon as I started buying from them, they've been great. I've built a good relationship with them, and today, when I picked up Carnal Flower, they gave me five other samples.

I've had nothing but good experiences at Saks, as well. My Dior rep there is so kind and friendly. She's trying to see if she can secure me a bottle of one of the private collection fragrances that is no longer marketed in the US. So far, she's only gotten me a sample of Mitzah, but she texts me regularly to let me know what's going on.

Macy's sucks. An aggressive SA tried to get me to try Sauvage, and when I told her that I didn't really like it, I may as well have just dropped dead on the spot by the way she looked at me.
    Macy's is super aggressive because they're hurting for profits. XD
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

DG...The One!!