Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: Barneys explores bankruptcy filing

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Perhaps they should explore lowering their silly prices.

The one here was closed within 3 days of the annoucement. I literally offered the perfume counter guy there a job reference to working security at my agency until he landed his feet at another perfume counter (should that be his aim). He was so DEFEATED last day I saw him and literally let me have a run on samples.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The one here was closed within 3 days of the annoucement. I literally offered the perfume counter guy there a job reference to working security at my agency until he landed his feet at another perfume counter (should that be his aim). He was so DEFEATED last day I saw him and literally let me have a run on samples.
    That's really sad. Poor guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Blackmusk by Mad et Len

Freed from BN Institution

I wonder if the 7 remaining stores: 5 retailers & 2 outlets would go out at the same time or will they axed off at different points.

That just leaves California, New York, and Massachusetts with stores.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I don't think the New York store is going anywhere.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't think the New York store is going anywhere.
    Unless the whole shebang goes Chapter 7

Unless the whole shebang goes Chapter 7
    True.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

True.
    This will basically happen if they can't lower their overhead and consolidate their debts. They have more going out than coming in, basically. Unlike Sears, they aren't big enough to self-cannibalize and milk real estate for 20 years to stay afloat either! I wish them the best. I liked the Seattle store here (most days).

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

This will basically happen if they can't lower their overhead and consolidate their debts. They have more going out than coming in, basically. Unlike Sears, they aren't big enough to self-cannibalize and milk real estate for 20 years to stay afloat either! I wish them the best. I liked the Seattle store here (most days).
    I can't really see how they would lower their retail overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Truth. Unfortunately, many dept stores haven't understood yet that they are now mostly limited to be showcases for brands, where customers come mostly to test, before going online to buy their fragrances 3 times cheaper. In order to survive, they should change their business models, and bill (more) brands to be present in store, instead of expecting a decent margin on sales.
    More brands are going to have to turn to only selling through department stores and not selling online.
    When they sell online, they're ultimately sabotaging themselves in the long-term because no one will smell their fragrances or see a reason to go online and buy them.
    When they only sell through department stores, they're pretty much paying for advertising of their brand that way.

I believe we're eventually going to move into a business model where many high end brands will only sell through high end stores, as businesses realize they need to keep their products on physical store shelves for their business model to be successful in the long-term.

The truth is the retail industry has been pretty hard hit over the last decade. I don't want to go too much into the political and economic reasons but there are more consumers each typically with less money to spend. That doesn't exactly bode well for luxury fragrances. (And let's face it, the average fragrance that costs more than £ 20 is still kind of a luxury item for the average consumer, though I'm sure no one here can relate)

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I can't really see how they would lower their retail overhead.
    Me neither, and that's the problem.

The real estate values in most places they have/had shops are sky-high, meaning their rents even for the old flagship store are growing untenable no matter how much they sell. They don't have the luxury of owning most of the lots their stores sit on (even the flagship) like Macy's.

They also still operate on a high-margin-per-item scheme based on brand cachet of what they sell and their own clout, the former which seems to mean less to more-pragmatic STEM professionals (which are the current nouveau riche they're trying to court) than in generations past, and the latter which has also deteriorated because they've failed to remain a relevant brand themselves to this same group.

If they manage a miraculous one-two punch of brand rejuvenation and lowering operating costs, they might be able to climb out of the hole, but that seems unlikely in a retail world where the very thing they represent seems distasteful to so many people, combined with the convenience of online shopping removing the Human element (thus the pretense and social anxiety) from luxury goods shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Perhaps they should explore lowering their silly prices.
    If you were an average upwardly mobile middle class consumer (that's the segment of society where most of their revenue comes from), busy and preoccupied with your work life, how likely would you be to buy a fragrance that you have never seen in a store and had never tested before?

And I mean a typical consumer who doesn't spend their time reading about fragrances, if you can put yourself in their shoes.

I suppose they could completely change their business model and sell in ordinary supermarkets. The fragrances might have to be held behind a plexiglass case near the front of the store, and much smaller 5ml sample versions of the same fragrances would also be for sale. Or they could just have the sample size fragrances sold in the supermarket, and you would be expected to order the regular sizes somewhere else. The fragrance companies might have to just give the sample fragrances to the supermarket for free, as a form of advertising, for the supermarket to then sell.

That would probably be the best way to reach out to ordinary consumers and still keep prices as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    If you were an average upwardly mobile middle class consumer (that's the segment of society where most of their revenue comes from), busy and preoccupied with your work life, how likely would you be to buy a fragrance that you have never seen in a store and had never tested before?

And I mean a typical consumer who doesn't spend their time reading about fragrances, if you can put yourself in their shoes.
    Hard to say 'cause I don't know what I don't know. Their fragrance prices were comparable to Nordstrom and the like, so in that sliver of their pricing I had no beef. I included the picture because I was commenting on the absurdity of a $265 (+tax) Black Flag shirt.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Good bye SF store:

Beverly Hills too:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...e-14563485.php
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Could the NYC location be far behind?

Could the NYC location be far behind?
    I imagined it being the last to go. With SF and Hollywood gone, that just leaves Boston and 2 NYC locations.

Basenotes Plus

My Las Vegas location is gone. It's very sad.

After many years away, I finally got back to the US to visit family near San Francisco for a few days back in 2016. I also had two and a half hours downtown.
    Guess where I went?

At the time I had wanted to try Roja Dove, and was disappointed that, despite having it on their website, it didn't exist in the store there, but there was Le Labo and I picked up the SFO exclusive as a souvenir. Barney's will always be part of the special memories I have from that trip.

Basenotes Plus

It is basically the only place I shop for high end designer clothes when I can, and this just sucks. It looks like they’re closing all of the stores. What a shame. They’re one of the only places I know of that gives up and coming designers a place to get going. Reese Cooper is exclusive there and he is really making headlines it seems.
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

I had the opportunity to visit the SF Barney's New York which will likely be my last visit.
    IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg

Thanks for the photos, N.CAL FR. Sad...
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

The end of the retail era as we knew it. Sobering...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Didn't realize the one in SF was that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    The end of the retail era as we knew it. Sobering...
    Exactly...sobering and sad.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

The flier for SF lists Sale for only five days 11/15 - 11/19. Not sure if Tuesday will be the absolute final day for Barneys.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The flier for SF lists Sale for only five days 11/15 - 11/19. Not sure if Tuesday will be the absolute final day for Barneys.
    Did you get anything at the sale?
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

wonder what they will do with their stock, fragrance net???

surprised that they are only doing 10%

Missing Oakmoss

Those closeout prices certainly are high...wonder how that's been going for them. I'm pretty surprised.

Banned

Thanks for the pics. Makes me even sadder. Enjoyed Barney’s Chicago including that corny gimmick malle has where you stand inside some fumigated chamber with the scent in there.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Did you get anything at the sale?
    It was tempting to do for certain brands - Frederic Malle came to mind. However if you took a look at the going prices for those 50ml and 100ml bottles on places on Ebay or even in the sales thread, they're still fairly cheaper than the prices what Barney's is selling them for even with the discounts. For instance Rose & Cuir gets a 5% discount + an additional 10% discount. A 50ml would cost $192 excluding sales tax.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast