Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Most enigmatic fragrance

Dries Van Noten is my vote

Default Re: Most enigmatic fragrance

Pascal Morabito Or Black. It's so weird. Almost every review I've read of it seems to be describing a different note pyramid. Personally I get Hawaiian Punch, absinthe and leather. Even the dark green color of the juice gives it the feeling of something between witchcraft and apothecary.

Que scay-je?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me - Le Monarque II
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Pascal Morabito Or Black. It's so weird. Almost every review I've read of it seems to be describing a different note pyramid. Personally I get Hawaiian Punch, absinthe and leather. Even the dark green color of the juice gives it the feeling of something between witchcraft and apothecary.
    This description makes me want to check this out. It sounds amazing.

My choice would be Tiziana Terenzi Laudano Nero. Not because it's difficult to describe at any given moment, but because it seems to change and morph so many times throughout the day. No exaggeration, this is like wearing 5 different fragrances, depending on what time you smelled it. Simply amazing juice IMO. Plus, the cost isn't crazy, and the performance is stellar. My favorite bottle in my collection regardless of price.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    It's a Jean-Louis Sieuzac creation, and somewhat in the same vein as Fahrenheit or Grey Flannel. But definitely its own thing. And pretty cheap on discounters.

Que scay-je?

Pascal Morabito Or Black. Almost every review I've read of it seems to be describing a different note pyramid..
    Part of this may have to do with there being two very different versions of it—the original, and then Or Black 2014. Your description seems to be of the 2014 version.

It’s a nice fragrance. I don’t find it too enigmatic as far as how I interpret the word, but it’s definitely a good one.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

For me: Shaal Nur by Etro

I love Or Black. But my answer for most enigmatic is The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Vlad Dracul by Sixteen92

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Part of this may have to do with there being two very different versions of it—the original, and then Or Black 2014. Your description seems to be of the 2014 version.
    Yep, I have the newer version. Haven't had a chance to smell the vintage formula sadly.

Que scay-je?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It’s a nice fragrance. I don’t find it too enigmatic as far as how I interpret the word, but it’s definitely a good one.
    Yep, I have the newer version. Haven't had a chance to smell the vintage formula sadly.
    I had samples from a generous Basenoter of both the original and re-issue juice. I didn't find them much different except maybe the original was a bit longer-lasting than the new one, and obviously a teeny bit rounder/mossier. They both had the same top and middle to me, so I don't think that weirdness you describe would be absent in the vintage. The stuff is just a weird fragrance, sitting in the middle of a Venn diagram between leather chypre, aromatic fougere, and oakmoss chypre, with that semi-sweet something you're noticing probably being the way cistus and benzoin are playing around.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Versace Man by Versace

Depends on how you define enigmatic when it comes to perfume, but I guess my SOTD Fahrenheit Absolute could be a contender anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post

My choice would be Tiziana Terenzi Laudano Nero. Not because it's difficult to describe at any given moment, but because it seems to change and morph so many times throughout the day. No exaggeration, this is like wearing 5 different fragrances, depending on what time you smelled it. Simply amazing juice IMO. Plus, the cost isn't crazy, and the performance is stellar. My favorite bottle in my collection regardless of price.
    I need to dig out my sample of this again, I remember really enjoying it when I tried it before.

I didn't think there was much difference at all between the two versions, as others have said. The newer version seems to be just as highly regarded by a lot of fans of the original from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I love Or Black. But my answer for most enigmatic is The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Love this one. It's one of the most evocative perfumes I own, it just makes me think of lying in the middle of a field amongst bales of hay on a (rare) English summer's day and hearing the rumble of distant thunder. Probably influenced by the name of the perfume, but that's what it does to me.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Etro : Palais Jamais. How do they do that, and what is it ?
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan

Freed from BN Institution

Nasamatto Black Afgano
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Dior Fahrenheit Absolute.
    Favorites Scents:

1- Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012)
    2- Creed Royal Oud
    3- Amouage Jubilation XXV
    4- Dior Homme Intense
    5- L'instant de Guerlain Extrême
    6- Grand Soir Francis Kurkdjian
    7- Amouage Reflection Man
    8- Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    9- Creed Aventus
    10- Ambre Sultan Serge Lutens
    Currently wearing: Versace Man by Versace

Basenotes Plus

To me, Bogue Mem is that most enigmatic. It is always showing different facets of itself and you can’t pin it down. People’s experience often is so different from mine, that it’s like they were smelling a different brand altogether.

Among other, in otherwise no particular order: vintage Trussardi Uomo, Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme or possibly also the more exotic, more spice dominated male and unisex options from the Xerjoff Shooting Stars and the Memor Paris Les Echapees fragrance lines.

Bonus: the ones that manage to smell quite classic and still retain a note of brooding, but also sensually, interestingly, attractively dark mystery, would personally range anywhere from and include anything among:

Knize Ten, vintage Givenchy Gentleman, GFT Spanish Leather, Creed REL, vintage Guerlain Derby, Bogart Furyo, Ungaro II, Salvador Dali pour Homme, Davidoff Relax, Dior Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Francesco Smalto pour Homme, almost any Lubin male/unisex EDP, l'Erbolario Ginepro Nero.

Serge Lutens - Chergui.

How it smells seems to be very dependent on the day - and how much you spray.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Serge Lutens - Chergui.

How it smells seems to be very dependent on the day - and how much you spray.
    If the house of Lutens is mentioned and counts, Ambre Sultan and Feminite du Bois might quite likely also qualify.

Another vote for Bogue MEM and Etro Palais Jamais. I will add CdG Artek Standard.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Depends on how you define enigmatic when it comes to perfume, but I guess my SOTD Fahrenheit Absolute could be a contender anyway.

I didn't think there was much difference at all between the two versions, as others have said. The newer version seems to be just as highly regarded by a lot of fans of the original from what I remember.

I found the original much darker, leather-heavy, and denser overall. But it was a while ago, so who knows...

I actually prefer the 2014 version. I think it's great, and it seems a bit brighter--I get more sparkling dark greens than the original, which is more of a mossy dark green with browner hues. That sweetness you're picking up on is the anise, which is a key note in its composition. I find a strong similarity between Or Black and Rive Gauche, they seem like cousins to me. Also shares some qualities with Fou d'Absinthe.

This stuff was widely available last year for $40 online at places like Fragrancex and Fragrancenet. Is it still available like that?

I found the original much darker, leather-heavy, and denser overall. But it was a while ago, so who knows...

I actually prefer the 2014 version. I think it's great, and it seems a bit brighter--I get more sparkling dark greens than the original, which is more of a mossy dark green with browner hues. That sweetness you're picking up on is the anise, which is a key note in its composition. I find a strong similarity between Or Black and Rive Gauche, they seem like cousins to me. Also shares some qualities with Fou d'Absinthe.

This stuff was widely available last year for $40 online at places like Fragrancex and Fragrancenet. Is it still available like that?
    I got my 2014 bottle of Or Black from TK Maxx a few months ago for fifteen quid

You gotta be...quidding me. *wink wink*

That's a great deal, nice buy. I can see this one vanishing from the market and going for $100 not long from now.

Sybaris.

Narciso Rodríguez for him, Encre noire and +1 for Fahrenheit Absolute

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I will add Santal 33 to my other selection of Dries Van Noten

Amouage memoir comes to mind. But if you pressed me as to why, I don't think I'd be able to adequately explain it; perhaps that speaks to the perceived enigmatic quality.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Lol gutted I always only find black agent or others.
    Bull ring was it?

Sorry OP for digression

As always - Encre Noire "beguiling"
    Adding Lalique Hommage a l'Homme - also guess that part of the charm is obscurity of its notes even on Laliques website.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Lol gutted I always only find black agent or others.
    Bull ring was it?

Sorry OP for digression
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    As always - Encre Noire "beguiling"
    Adding Lalique Hommage a l'Homme - also guess that part of the charm is obscurity of its notes even on Laliques website.
    Yeah, was from the Bullring! I also recently picked up both Encre Noire flankers from there and have seem Hommage and the Voyageur flanker there (but I own those already).

Interesting - thanks for all the great info about Or Black! Zealot Crusader - the benzoin/cistus combo makes sense, hadn't thought of that. Or Black is good practice for trying to pick out notes. And definitely pretty cheap - got it for around $40 on FragranceNet.

And agreed about Encre Noire. Very dark and mysterious.

Que scay-je?