Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Muscs Koublai Khan - smell the same in new 100ml Gratte Ciel bottles VS bell jar in recent years?

Wondering if the newer 100ml spray bottle is worth picking up of MKK. Thoughts? Especially compared to bell jar (recent; past ~5 years).
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Muscs Koublai Khan - smell the same in new 100ml Gratte Ciel bottles VS bell jar in recent years

Just get Kiehl's Musk, together with the shower gel.

MKK, while lovely, is more or less same, but a bit more furry.

I had a 50 ml export bottle (old Palais Royal logo) and a bell jar, but sold both.

Default Re: Muscs Koublai Khan - smell the same in new 100ml Gratte Ciel bottles VS bell jar in recent years

I don't find these two similar..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

I had a 50 ml export bottle (old Palais Royal logo) and a bell jar, but sold both.
    A similar style, perhaps. I'd compare it to Encre Noire and Sycomore in terms of quality difference. But where I would pay the $200 for Sycomore (especially the older edt), the current $375 for Muscs Koublai Khan strikes me as an obscene cash grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    A similar style, perhaps. I'd compare it to Encre Noire and Sycomore in terms of quality difference. But where I would pay the $200 for Sycomore (especially the older edt), the current $375 for Muscs Koublai Khan strikes me as an obscene cash grab.
    I agree, that price point is ridiculous and totally unwarranted.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

Oh, I already own MKK - it's just in a bell jar and I'm not the biggest fan of decanting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I don't find these two similar..
    Are you talking about you don't find the bell jar & spray similar or MKK & Kiehl's (+shower gel)?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Just to clarify, you're talking about the difference between the Kiehl's (+shower gel) VS MKK, right? Not MKK bell jar vs MKK spray? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I agree, that price point is ridiculous and totally unwarranted.
    Can get it cheaper elsewhere instead of US retail,
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Wondering if the newer 100ml spray bottle is worth picking up of MKK. Thoughts?
    It was worth picking up for me. Wonderful scent. However not able to compare it with bell jar version.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think there's a slight difference between my bell jar of Cuir Mauresque and the Gratte ciel version, dunno if it's due to maceration of the first which I purchased two years ago..

It's very expensive.
    You can buy the 60 ml travel spray for feminite du Bois for 90 euros on the Serge lutens site now that's good value.

So where is the cheapest place to buy the 100ml gratte-ciel bottles? I haven’t seen them on Fragrancenet.

Basenotes Plus

So where is the cheapest place to buy the 100ml gratte-ciel bottles? I haven’t seen them on Fragrancenet.
    Buying internationally might be one way - I think 290 EUR (then take off 19% VAT possibly?), but also a seller on eBay selling for $299 or something like that.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Premiere Avenue

100ml

They also run 20% off Serge Lutens sales periodically. Check the coupon board as I usually post them there.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What I meant was that I don't find the Kiehl's musk similar to MKK..the Kiehl's is very old school it's not a timeless fragrance at all you can tell it's from the 60's..
    MKK is much more modern in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Premiere Avenue

100ml

They also run 20% off Serge Lutens sales periodically. Check the coupon board as I usually post them there.
    Thanks, I’m subscribed to the Discounts & Coupons board, I’ll see it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    I think there's a slight difference between my bell jar of Cuir Mauresque and the Gratte ciel version, dunno if it's due to maceration of the first which I purchased two years ago..
    Agree on a slight difference. Own Palais Royal Tubereuse Criminelle - it's much more camphorous and wintergreen in a bell jar compared to a vanillic and tuberousy Gratte Ciel version.

A few weeks ago, I tried Fumerie Turque in the new expensive black bottle and swear that it’s significantly more potent than the older juice, which I found to be very weak. The juice from both the bell jar and 50ml export bottle would disappear from my skin, within a couple of hours, but the current formulation easily lasts six hours on me (after three sprays).

It’s still overpriced, though.