Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default How do you break a mental "Tie" between scents to pick a SOTD???

Hey,

I can't possibly be the only person who sometimes struggles badly to decide on a scent of the day. For instance, my struggle today:

Acier Aluminium
    Costume National Homme
    Tam Dao EDP

I pull each off my shelf and smell the nozzle, yearning for my brain's sensibilities to 'break' the tie, but no, with each bottle nozzle I smell, my brain goes "oooo THAT one too!"....but I can only wear one at a time. Eventually one will win out, but on a weekend day I can delay a few hours waiting for my brain to shift into the desire for one over the others.

Any one of these that I pick today would work out great, but maybe one would accentuate the good mood of the day. I'm leaning towards Costume National Homme, but, I might want to wear that later in the week and don't want to pre-bore myself on the scent. Acier Aluminium is the other likely option, but Tam Dao EDP's smooth, sweet woody, almost coconutty vibe is really pulling me as well. It's a fragrance tug of war and it's all in my own mind. From an outside perspective this is kind of amusing, but from an inside perspective I just want to pick one and move on into the day. This is what happens when I don't have any actual plans for a day and fragrance occupies a focus. But at the same time, this is quite a nice quandary to have having to pick between such beautiful choices.

Default Re: How do you break a mental "Tie" between scents to pick a SOTD???

Which one have you worn less? Wear that one.
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    Which one have you worn less? Wear that one.
    I spread my scents out already. I haven't worn any of these in a while. So, each one has relatively similar freshness factor in my mind. Costume National Homme is one that is earmarked already for later in the week for a specific day for a specific plan, so it's likely going to have to be put on hold until then, but damn, my mood really likes it for today. So, it's Acier Aluminum or Tam Dao EDP. I'm about to pull the trigger on Acier Aluminium, jump in the shower and then put on a white polo and some khaki slacks. This classy summer look will make my recently grown Wolverine-type side burns 'pop'. And Acier Aluminium will accent this style nicely. Escpecially on a casual day. The powdery, metallic, oriental will be great. But either of the other two scents I was considering would work well with today's mood and style.

In such cases quite similar to this, usually taking a decision based on which one better suits the existing mood, even whim but also was worn less (while also causing, even if only very fleetingly and temporarily) a passing craving/fancy to get another wear, which one might better fit the daily schedule, anything particular planned or easier to be worn etc.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I ask the BF when possible. Shaved off 15 minutes from my deliberation time
    oh look, I have a signature

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have yet to cross that problem with choosing a scent, but if I did it would probably be the one easier to access from my stash.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

I just close my eyes and reach for something - gently, of course.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight=

I am purging my wardrobe. See my profile > About Me page > Biography section, for details... check out my swap list to see what I'm selling.

haha, you've painted a familiar picture. Like yourself I smell the tops, and whatever appeals to my mood in the moment is the move. I try and use the SOTD function to leverage my decisions and try to disperse a would-be concentration, and maybe that informs my decision at least partially, but in the end it's just a whim. I also keep everything in a minifridge, so the things in the front of the fridge are privileged and what's in front isn't an accident.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Stand in front of the shelf and turn your mind off and your hand will reach out and grab the one.
    I scream "Merry Eiffel Tower High"

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

When I can't decide between two options, I use the second hand on an analog clock to help me choose.

Let's say I'm trying to choose between wearing Endymion or Gph II. I'll say to myself:
    "...if the second hand is between 00 & 29, I'll go with Endymion."
    "...if the second hand is between 30 & 59, I'll go with Gph II."
    Then glance at the clock and let the number decide.

I do these sorts of number things a lot. This morning while debating what to make for breakfast, I used the digital clock on my stove: "If the minute is a even number, I'll make eggs. If it's odd, I'll make oatmeal." Then I glanced at the clock. The time was 9:37. I had oatmeal (with a bit of vanilla greek yogurt & cacao powder. Yum!).

I hate math, and yet, I love numbers. Is that peculiar? One might even say it's odd

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    Stand in front of the shelf and turn your mind off and your hand will reach out and grab the one.
    OH CRAP! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WEAR PEPTO BISMOL?!?!?

Thanks a lot, Alex.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 14th July 2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity ;)
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Aqua Celestia
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I have an analog clock with a second hand that I use to help me decide.

Let's say I'm trying to choose between wearing Endymion or Gph II. I'll say to myself:

I do these sorts of number things a lot. This morning while debating what to make for breakfast, I used the digital clock on my stove: "If the minute is a even number, I'll make eggs. If it's odd, I'll make oatmeal." Then I glanced at the clock. The time was 9:37. I had oatmeal (with a bit of vanilla greek yogurt & cacao powder. Yum!).

I hate math, and yet, I love numbers. How odd

Thanks a lot, Alex.
    Couldn’t help thinking of The Dice Man. Have you read it?

You’re not alone! I’ll use such factors as these to break ties:

1. Is it on the monthly rotation? If one is and one isn’t, I’ll choose the one that is, to help me spread out my wears more evenly.
    2. How much is left in the bottle? After a certain point, I go into “finish” mode on a fragrance so that it wins ties until I’ve finished it.
    3. Does it “match” my planned wardrobe choice? As a synesthete, there are fragrances that smell like a certain color for me and the mental disequilibrium can be overwhelming if I pick colors and a fragrance that clash.
    4. Will it align with my day? Am I going to be in close quarters with others all day, and if so, is it inoffensive?
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Missing Oakmoss

I seldom run into that situation...usually, a particular fragrance will just pop into my mind, coinciding with my mood, and that'll be that. I don't plan any of it.

Basenotes Plus

If undecided, I refuse to choose and wear them all, one scent on the left inner elbow, another on the right, and the third on the collar bones.

I break ties by bottle color, specifically my favorite colors in order.......so

1. Black
    2. Purple
    3. Blue
    4. Gray
    5. Red
    6. White
    7. Green
    8. Orange
    9. Yellow
    10. Brown

Obviously my TF’s don’t want to be in any ties.....except with each other maybe. And in case of color ties, alphabetically breaks that tie. Never had anything go past that!

Never an issue for me

Just spray both on paper and then decide which you really want to wear on skin.
    If that's not enough then flip a coin, wear the first scent today and the second one the next day.

Freed from BN Institution

I've established a short list of dumb reach picks that for me eliminates this scenario. If I can't decide or don't know what to wear, I'll fall back on these choices never fails.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

When I’m not sure, that usually means I shouldn’t wear *any* of them and pick something completely different that I haven’t worn in a while! I then get a pleasant surprise, wearing a fragrance I’ve almost forgotten about!
    Oriental and rose addict...

Just wear them alphabetically!

Layer them. Wear one on each arm. Go with the flow.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Frequently it's a tough choice for me. Hot, humid weather rules out over half of my heavily, cold-weather-skewed collection, so technically this time of year should be the easiest to choose a fragrance for me, but sometimes it isn't. Usually wind up randomly choosing from a group of 4-5 fragrances I've mentally narrowed down to as SOTD options the night before, and while getting ready the next day. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes not. If not I'll just switch up my fragrance later in the day.
    Currently wearing: Pasha by Cartier

Since downsizing I have not ran into this, which is funny because I still have a decent amount but also have ones I wear frequently which helps narrow down choices. Also depending on my mood and what I’m doing helps decide what I wear, I also choose one I haven’t worn in a while.

I think everyone relates to this struggle.
    When I find myself confounded by such a decision, I usually snap out of it really quick and the impatient me takes over the indecisive me and says 'just grab one, idiot. Stop thinking about it! You can use the other one tomorrow!' lol
    No joke. I try not to think about it too long. I just tell myself to choose the one that I was leaning to from the very beginning and then immediately stop thinking about it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I used to suffer from this affliction occasionally. Now, I try to pick out my SOTD the night before. I usually do it based on:

Weather
    Occasion
    What I haven't worn in a long time

Picking something out at the moment can be hard - but it seems that it is much easier to pick something out for yourself the night before. I don't ALWAYS stick with my selection, but it certainly cuts down on the problem you seem to be having. When I do have that problem despite attempting to commit to a selection already made, I just go with the one that has gone longer without being worn.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Pepto sort of has a nice opening, but the longevity is a bit lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    When I can't decide between two options, I use the second hand on an analog clock to help me choose.

I hate math, and yet, I love numbers. Is that peculiar? One might even say it's odd

Thanks a lot, Alex.
    I scream "Merry Eiffel Tower High"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Was going to suggest this.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Either that, or take several showers throughout the day so you can do fragrance/wardrobe changes. I am so ADHD, I struggle with this as my collection grows.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I think everyone relates to this struggle.
    Not me!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    You’re not alone! I’ll use such factors as these to break ties:

1. Is it on the monthly rotation? If one is and one isn’t, I’ll choose the one that is, to help me spread out my wears more evenly.
    2. How much is left in the bottle? After a certain point, I go into “finish” mode on a fragrance so that it wins ties until I’ve finished it.
    3. Does it “match” my planned wardrobe choice? As a synesthete, there are fragrances that smell like a certain color for me and the mental disequilibrium can be overwhelming if I pick colors and a fragrance that clash.
    4. Will it align with my day? Am I going to be in close quarters with others all day, and if so, is it inoffensive?
    Monthly rotation for the win!

I love your determination in finish mode.

If I'm going to be in close quarters, my wardrobe shrinks to about four fragrances.