Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Best" masculine-appropriate Amber frangrance?

I feel like I have a pretty full fragrance wardrobe now, I have my fill of sporty mainstream designers, dry woods, fresh summer citruses, and then a few personal favourites to round it all off.

But I'm still searching a really 'special' oriental scent, more opulent than the sandalwood-centric scents I love for less brash smart situations. Amber seems the perfect note and I've enjoyed every probably amber scent I've tried - but it hasn't been exhaustive. For reference, this is what I am settled on for my current wardrobe that sort of covers this sort of note profile territory, but I want something more amber-centric:

- TF Tobacco Oud: not the easiest wear, but I enjoy it from time to time. Definitely has a dirty amber vibe to it, as well as a whisky sweetness. Not safe by any means. The more I wear this the more I think it's a bit too dirty for me, and might gravitate to London by TF instead as a casual-to-smart 'dirty' wear.
    - Armani Myrrhe Imperiale: Has a lot of amber in the drydown but it gets a bit sickly when you add both myrrh and vanilla in the mix, which this does. Good though, and in the right territory I'm looking for - but I do find it a bit sickly after about 3 hours' wear, which is not ideal.
    - Acqua di Parma Mirra: Less in the territory of amber, but again, the myrrh note is quite similar to amber in a way in that it has an opulent sweetness to it. Like this blend and as I also enjoy Sandalo by AdP, this isn't a bad choice - but I think I want something a bit more knockout?

As such, this is what I've tried where amber is 'up top':

- TF Amber Absolute: blew me away on first few tries. First foray in to amber. That love mellowed a bit over time and as I'm approaching the end of my decant, I'm not sure whether I want to seek out a bottle on ebay - they do crop up from time to time, and not for ridiculous prices, at least in Britain, relative to the rest of the brand. Also have a perfume oil which is ridiculously close to the original minus the 'layers' (it's a bit like mixing colours and getting a something a bit more homogeneous). But I'm not sure if I want to stick with this. I feel there's something more fitting out there, surely.
    - Armani Ambre Eccentrico & Orient: Eccentrico is way too feminine and fruity. Orient is a fantastic scent but a touch on the fem side as well - only have a perfume oil of this remaining as well, and as it's discontinued and seemingly rare to crop up on ebay, it's not really a feasible long term option to use as by the time I finish a bottle, it's likely to be irreplacable (which I don't want, I hate dealing with discontinued scents that you aren't able to back up with at least 1 or 2 bottles).
    YSL M7 - no, not just amber perhaps, but I adore the drydown and - again, with the bloody discontinuation - if this were readily available I'd be happy sticking with this, frankly. Yet to try M7 Oud and although I will, it appears the elements I enjoy in the original have been reduced or replaced in this reformulation.
    MFK Grand Soir - too feminine. This is a good marker for what I don't want.
    - Tauer LADDM - not strictly amber again but has a distinct oriental vibe. Enjoyed it, but not sure I loved it. Something that does 'amber but with lots of other notes', which I'm not averse to in this thread!
    D&G Velvet Amber Sun - beautiful, really, as it's a proper gourmand in that it smells like vanilla custard with some extra spice to me. Nice and mainstream-appealing as well, which is always nice. But...again, just a bit too feminine.

I've got a whacking great list I've compiled from reading numerous 'best amber' lists, but I was wondering are there a few which are less on the 'unisex' side, and more on the masculine side? Not in terms of 'unwearable for women', with something animalic, or anything like that. I know it's quite hard as, by its nature, amber is staunchly unisex with its sweetness, but are there ambers which become more masc with the supporting notes etc.? Amber Absolute would be my preference but it's just a bit...too loud and brash...and I'd love it if the smokiness was accentuated a bit more. Discontinuations aren't helping my search, sadly!

Default Re: "Best" masculine-appropriate Amber frangrance?

If you want some smokiness with your amber, try Robert Graham Fortitude, which is a nice cheaper option. Quite masculine.

If you're going upmarket, Lubin Idole is nice.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I guess I'll be the first to say Lutens Ambre Sultan, basically the reference masculine-leaning amber, IMO.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks. I looked at Lubin Idole, and had the chance to sample the original for a pretty crazy price per ml. Turned it down. I'm not a fan of rum at all (whisky I can deal with and/or like if it dies off, but not in an amber fragrance I don't think...).

I'll check out Fortitude, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I guess I'll be the first to say Lutens Ambre Sultan, basically the reference masculine-leaning amber, IMO.
    Thanks, there's a sample in the post, so I am working my way through the obvious ones, don't worry!

Seconding Ambre Sultan, liking this one to the point of gladly recommending as a benchmark fine amber

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Thanks, there's a sample in the post, so I am working my way through the obvious ones, don't worry!
    Glad to hear it! I went through a similar amber exercise as you a long time ago. Lo and behold, I landed on Ambre Sultan as the FBW winner.

Another than interested me at the time as Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, a unique incense-boozy amber with a big tea note. The booze used is different - vodka and champagne, I believe. And the smoky/incensey quality of the amber base makes it more masculine, though I think it's marketed feminine. Haven't smelled it in years...I should revisit and see if I still like it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

a unique one is L'Aire Du Desert Marocain

and I like Ambre Loup by Rania J

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Ambre 114 by HdP, but perhaps not as masculine as the OP might like.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As far as "Masculine Ambers", you have already stumbled across the most fitting one - Tom Ford Amber Absolute.

Ambre Sultan is amazing also, but perhaps not as "masculine". Plenty of masculine ambergris fragrances out there, which I'm sure will be listed off, but from what you listed as having tried, it is clear you are, in fact, talking about amber.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Ambre Sultan

Interlude Man- to me this, like LADDM, is predominantly an amber fragrance, with some oud and incense.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

If TF Amber Absolute is your benchmark you might want to try Ex Idolo Ryder. I find it similar and a great fragrance unto itself. You may want to try Elie Saab Ambre too.
    Currently wearing: Black Gold by Mancera

Profumi del Forte Ambra Mediterranea is predominantly amber, but with (synthetic) woods- quite strong and masculine but not particularly dirty.

Try Au Coeur du Desert, it's darker, richer, and more masculine than LADDM. Ambre Sultan would be a good option too or Interlude Man (maybe a bit too loud for you though). Maybe Fort & Manle's Amber Absolutely. Another hidden amber gem (and great value for money) that is quite masculine is Abdul Karim Faransi's Amber Ash-Shaykh.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Another vote for Ambre Sultan.

I don't consider it particularly masculine, just an amber that guys can wear. On the right woman though, 1000x better.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Interlude Man- to me this, like LADDM, is predominantly an amber fragrance, with some oud and incense.
    Thanks. I enjoyed both, but LADDM - which I enjoyed much more - is much closer to what I want. Interlude was an odd beast - I didn't dislike it, but I'd never wear it. It genuinely reminded me of shisha. It has a sweet-Arabic-smoke vibe which I associate with flavoured shisha, rather than incense.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. A few I haven't heard of, which is always good.

Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea, a beastly amber.

Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    Hermes Hermessence Ambre Narguile
    MPG Ambre Mythique
    Piotr Czarnecki Shihan (Sensei)

are all winners in my book, but still too heavy for me to wear in my moderate climate.

Halston Man Amber is surprisingly good, in my humble.....
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

I am a fan of the dark amber / iris masculines such as: Dior Homme Parfum, Dior Homme Intense, or VanlentinoUomo Intense.

A smokey, dry, dirty amber scent I like is Rania J. Ambre Loup.

Thought I would add Zegna Passion if you happen to be able to find it - great!
    Top Bottles Summer '19: • eau de cologne imperiale • le labo bergamote 22 • zegna florentine iris • [/I] le labo another 13 • 19-69 purple hazeblack leather j-scent • artist phuong dang • hemes osmanthe yunnan • andree putman l'original tonic blanc kosmala • xerjoff nioapres l'amour kosmala no. 4 • 19-69 caprigentleman givenchy cologne • villa nelicote 19-69 •

Ambre Précieux (Ultime) by Maître Parfumeur

Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea and Versilia Vintage Ambre Meditteranea are my favorite opulent masculine ambers (though technically they’re unisex).
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

Roja dove London- very similar to the TF but i feel like it's smoother.
    Thames. Amber room - smells very classy and easy to wear.
    Instagram: Jeweats
    Currently wearing: Rêve en Cuir by Indult

Freed from BN Institution

Tom Ford Amber Absolute and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    a unique one is L'Aire Du Desert Marocain
    A very good pick for amber and offering from Tauer.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Amouage Opus VI
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Argentium Halo De Lune/Sultanate Of Oman
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard
    7.Al-Khatt/Prolixe
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic
    10.Dhajala/Fidelis/Misia Eau de Parfum
    Currently wearing: Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton

Amber is front and center in D&G The One EDP and its a beautifully done amber, the best in my limited experience.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea
    Another very nice one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.