Code of Conduct
o

Default Random thought I was talking to my GF about. An entire collection of Aventus + clones

So after getting my bottle of Aventus, and really enjoying it, I started spending time in this sub-forum. Reading the batch thread mostly, as I'm interested to see how the different batches compare. All of this got me to thinking, if one was inclined, he could build an entire fragrance collection out of various Aventus batches.

For even more variety, you could also include the clones out there, so you're not using expensive juice as your daily driver. In addition to the clones, you could toss in fragrances that aren't necessarily clones, but certainly in the same wheelhouse. Cedrat Boise, Explorer, and others that don't come from clone houses such as Armaf, Al Haramain, Alexandria, Parfums Vintage, etc.

I think it would be a fun and interesting exercise, if you had the willpower to do it. I feel like I am already "in too deep" even at a bit over six months collecting fragrances, to just take a hard turn like that. I have way too many fragrances that I want to add to my collection, to suddenly stop adding anything but Aventus and Aventus styled fragrances. However, I could totally see this as a legitimate collection to be proud of.

Am I just crazy? LOL!

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Default Re: Random thought I was talking to my GF about. An entire collection of Aventus + clones

The variety level would be too narrow for me. I like having a broad swathe of options at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Vesper by Santa Eulalia

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Random thought I was talking to my GF about. An entire collection of Aventus + clones

One would surely have to be a dedicated Aventus lover/fanatic. I like the scent, but just not to that extent!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Batch variations are not that extreme to allow for such potential variety. Particularly in the dry down, most batches of Aventus are exceedingly similar to most noses. For instance, I've owned 12J01, 15R01 and 17S01. The first opens up almost entirely with smoke and little else, the second is melange of fruits and the third has a bombastic pineapple in the opening. All three settle down into a similar base with some variety in the mids but not a whole lot else. They're certainly distinct from one another but, again, not distinct enough to warrant them being considered separate fragrances if that makes sense.

Yeah, there’s no way I could ever do this myself. Mainly because there are just too many fragrances I am very fond of, and at this point, I couldn’t see myself scaling back my collection or getting rid of my favorites. Not to mention all the fragrances I want to add to my collection. I just thought it was an interesting concept for a collection idea, to be honest.

Truthfully, I imagine that someone out there has done something similar to what I described, minus throwing in the clones. There are many out there that live on a single bottle of fragrance at any given time, so this has probably been done before by someone. I imagine that I’d quickly get bored attempting such an endeavor. I don’t even wear the same fragrance two days in a row, let alone a lifetime. Lol!

Thanks for chiming in here guys, and thank you HbfL for explaining batch variations to me. I told my GF that I am tempted to get a small bottle as cheap as I can find it (and not worry about trying to get any certain vintage batch) so I can compare at least two different batches. I’m curious to see what differences I can spot, and just to see why batch variation discussions are so common. From your description, perhaps it’s not really anything to fret about, but my curiosity about different batches is certainly piqued.

Dependent

I'm sure there are those out there who already do this. As aforementioned, I would struggle with the narrowness of this. I prefer different scents for different moods, settings, weather, etc.

Banned

I agree with the previous posts. Would rather have a variety of fragrances. Just find your favorite batch and keep a backup or two on hand.