Basenotes Junkie

Default Death

Gothic, macabre, dark or scary .

What could be these parfumes?

Default Re: Death

Lalique Encre Noire

Histories de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

- Iris Silver Mist: freshly turned earth in a Gothic graveyard on a cold, grey and foggy morning,
    - Charogne: someone described it as 'chewing gum at an open casket viewing', I don't disagree; but I also find it oddly appealing.

This is kind of a stereotypical answer, but Salvador Dali Pour Homme.

I don't think it's just the name/marketing of the fragrance influencing my nose. It really does smell pitch black and very strange, kind of rubbery, smoky, inky green, some decomposing roses...and despite it all, it's strangely wearable.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Black Tourmaline
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Death & Decay by Lush/Gorilla Perfumes

Really does have that funeral home vibe to it, with indolic white florals, mostly lilies, turned up to the max. Has a bit of the sweetness of a rotting corpse you get with putrefaction. Sounds awful, but is somehow strangely wearable.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

Death & Decay by Lush/Gorilla Perfumes

Really does have that funeral home vibe to it, with indolic white florals, mostly lilies, turned up to the max. Has a bit of the sweetness of a rotting corpse you get with putrefaction. Sounds awful, but is somehow strangely wearable.
    I've never seen that one. Is it old or part of their online-only selections?
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Necromancy from Sixteen92. Description from their site:

NECROMANCY : Datura metel, ceremonial incense, funeral flowers, benzoin resin, ancient spirit boards, oud

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Etro Messe de Minuit
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

HdP Petroleum. Aquatic oud, like entering a dark, humid cavern.

Death and decay was available at some point in store, but Lush keeps rotating, so it's probably not available now.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I've never seen that one. Is it old or part of their online-only selections?
    It came out in 2014 and then vanished a few years later, which is a shame as it was quite good. Probably the people who frequent Lush stores figure they're going to live forever, and don't want to be reminded of their own mortality, or a funeral home. All they needed was a touch of formaldehyde, but perhaps there were aldehydes in it as well.
    Last edited by Scarce; 17th July 2019 at 12:48 PM.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    It came out in 2014 and then vanished a few years later, which is a shame as it was quite good. Probably the people who frequent Lush stores figure they're going to live forever, and don't want to be reminded or their own mortality. A funeral home. All they needed was a touch of formaldehyde, but perhaps there were aldehydes in it as well.
    I forget some of their fragrances don't last long in their catalogs, not very different from Avon practices.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Basenotes Plus

Hue and Ghost House, from Anna Zworykina, are both death like fragrances.

Hue for instance:
    Mango leaf, violet leaf, seaweed, elemi, choya nakh, choya loban, choya ral, kewda, hop, jasmine, frangipani, pink lotus, juniper, rose, lavender, frankincense, agarwood, angelica, labdanum, oakmoss, patchouli, vetiver, mitti attar, sandalwood, saffron, myrrh.

Really eerie and otherworldly to me.

Basenotes Plus

De Profundis by Serge Lutens - I haven’t smelled it, but it is kind of a death fragrance. I’d like to try it.

+1 Oliver Durbano Black Tourmaline

Adding: Anatole Lebreton Grimoire

Also +1 to Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    De Profundis by Serge Lutens - I haven’t smelled it, but it is kind of a death fragrance. I’d like to try it.
    I do own it and for me, it is really a field of wildflowers with encens. A friend did say to me once that floral fragrances always make her think funeral home as they always have floral displays in them.

Original Etro Messe de Minute has that dark damp crypt smell. I believe it has been reformulated so not as dark and crypt-like now.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: L'Aimant by Coty

Basenotes Junkie

Trumper Eucris
    Tom Ford Noir Anthracite
    +1 Salvador Dali PH

Freed from BN Institution

One Example Flos Mortis by Rogue Perfumery. A dark victorian style take on tuberose.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    HdP Petroleum.
    Yes - this would fit the bill.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This is kind of a stereotypical answer, but Salvador Dali Pour Homme.

I don't think it's just the name/marketing of the fragrance influencing my nose. It really does smell pitch black and very strange, kind of rubbery, smoky, inky green, some decomposing roses...and despite it all, it's strangely wearable.

Seconded, perhaps to a certain lesser extent, also G-Man by Gainsboro (as it also has a certain cold, sinister and distant feel, not so much scary as in a confusing and somewhat disconcerting, nondescript way, almost like a certain existential void, a primal fear hovering over/within this)

Black gemstone by Stephane Humbert Lucas 777

Passage D'Enfer

Sauvage

Sometimes get a gothy vibe from Pour Lui. I think it's the florals given a "dark-wash", like that Ophelia painting.
    Black orchid I guess somewhat too.

OMS is just plain scary!

Oh, Zoologist Bat, of course. It smells literally like an old, damp, moldy, rock-lined root cellar for much of its evolution. Don’t know how the perfumer pulled that off, but it’s a trip. Hard to wear, though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Creed Royal Mayfair - It smells exactly like a funeral home and all that is death. In the mid nineties I worked in a office that dealt with funeral homes. One day the powers that be decided that to show more empathy to the customers we had to visit funeral homes. On entering them we were shown around where the coffins were and then where the bodies were kept. For that part we had to put this eucalyptus stuff up by our nose so we did not have to smell the corpse's.

So with that and the wooden cedar and pine coffins and flowers they had in vase's coupled with the eucalyptus I cannot ever wear Royal Mayfair. It just reminds me of death and funeral homes I had to go to, I just cannot separate the smell from the memory. Shame!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)
    2. Terre d'Hermès Edt
    3. D R Harris Sandalwood Aftershave
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Strangely or not, both OMS and Royal Mayfair are personal favorite scents would-though quite personally and subjectively- never associate with death, unless death would be an experience in predominant, if not entire contradictions with nearly all theories about it (so far).

Without wishing for any form of contradiction or controversy, managed to personally find, at least so far and to see in One Man Show as well as Creed Royal Mayfair some of the best fragrant renditions of being calm, even happy and accomplished, self assured and always classy, in fact with an elegant yet also statement-making, trendsetting powerhouse feel.
    From a personal viewpoint alone, the exact opposite of macabre on each, but one might never know and, again, pointing out the sheer subjectivity and not just highly likely but also frankly and openly assumed bias and inbuilt doubts, incertitude of this post.

After all, just like (lady's or) one man's trash can be another (lady's or) one man's treasure (or vice-versa), a fairly comparable situation can apply to what one perceives as macabre and associated with death while someone else as the exact opposite.

Fort and Manle's Mr Bojnokopff's Purple Hat gave me a very gothic vibe.
    Currently wearing: Liwa by AJ Arabia

Basenotes Plus

Le Labo - Patchouli 24 (crematorium / burning corpse ).

+1 again to Iris Silver Mist
    +1 vintage Etro Messe de Minuit
    Fille en Aiguilles
    l'Attesa