Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pairing with Chanel Cuir de Russie

I never layer, but you've got me thinking about it, Bavard. Don't know why I am such a purist about it.

Of the pairings you listed in your original post, I would probably favor the Dior Homme plus Cuir de Russie.

Left to my own devices, I would probably layer Cuir de Russie with a Big White Floral, perhaps even a BWF soliflore. Vintage Fracas, vintage White Shoulders, or even (gasp!) Amarige.
    Currently wearing: Métal by Paco Rabanne

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I never layer, but you've got me thinking about it, Bavard. Don't know why I am such a purist about it.

Of the pairings you listed in your original post, I would probably favor the Dior Homme plus Cuir de Russie.

Left to my own devices, I would probably layer Cuir de Russie with a Big White Floral, perhaps even a BWF soliflore. Vintage Fracas, vintage White Shoulders, or even (gasp!) Amarige.
    I would be into the big white floral idea. I think I could rock it, but I get mixed feedback (not really - there's been no positive feedback).

I'm loving the votes for Dior Homme. Dior Homme does get positive feedback, lots and lots, every time: "You could just wear that from now on," etc.

Wearing two perfumes might feel hectic if I had to leave the house. For a quiet day in, a different perfume on each hand is a treat, in my experience.

Something about this looks wrong, but the proof is in the smelling.

Attachment 105761

Fans of Edition Blanche will understand the joy of its opening. What this will do is become politely quiet, especially this edp, to let Cuir de Russie shine.

I don't think this is going to be the pairing.

Late yesterday, with Jules and Cuir de Russie, Jules started to have almost too much of its own personality in the base.

On its own, I love Jules. I could never think of it as too high energy, but next to the more relaxed Cuir de Russie, I thought it wasn't playing along as well in the deep base as Bois Noir had.

There is a tragedy unfolding in real time: I'm using up all the Cuir de Russie. Oh well. I'm sure there'll be a few drops left for a special occasion.

The Edition Blanche - Cuir de Russie pairing is a no. Edition Blanche is fizzy cocktails on the beach - on a beach patio. Cuir de Russie, as mentioned earlier, is a red leather chair in a man cave. They do not go together well. This is a bust.

Dior Homme and Cuir de Russie worked as a pairing. Something about Cuir de Russie made Dior Homme smell more like tobacco, and it was an interesting, reproducible effect. The powdery base did work as others upthread thought it might.

The problem, for me, was they smelled like perfumes from two different eras. Nothing can really compete with the best fragrances on shelves in the 1980s, and Dior Homme smelled comparatively synthetic.

Patou Pour Homme Prive would work as a pairing, but it doesn't interact with Cuir de Russie. They're too different. They both smell great. It smells like two people wearing their best perfume. There's no clash.

From these five, I would go with Bois Noir. I think Patou Pour Homme Prive would be second.

Jules said I should try Bois des Iles and 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Dior Homme and Cuir de Russie worked as a pairing. Something about Cuir de Russie made Dior Homme smell more like tobacco, and it was an interesting, reproducible effect. The powdery base did work as others upthread thought it might.

The problem, for me, was they smelled like perfumes from two different eras. Nothing can really compete with the best fragrances on shelves in the 1980s, and Dior Homme smelled comparatively synthetic.
    Hmm it never occurred to me before but there’s probably more than a kernel of truth in this. Akin to a clash of styles perhaps, with both taking different approaches to portraying the iris note?
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Hmm it never occurred to me before but there’s probably more than a kernel of truth in this. Akin to a clash of styles perhaps, with both taking different approaches to portraying the iris note?
    Next to Cuir de Russie, Dior Homme was smelling like something in the modern line of Miss Dior fragrances, which I think can be ok, but it's a new style of perfume compared to older classics.

This has been a relatively fun thread. Thank you, as always, to everyone who comments! The comparison wearing engages my mind. Maybe I'll pick a second round of five.

I think part of the appeal of Dior Homme is indeed that it is simple, with modern aromachemicals, almost cheap, but works perfectly as intended. But it's true that the style is the opposite of CdR, which instead is all about rich materials (iris, leather, musks, and what not).

cacio

I tried a pairing with Bel Ami. It was promising, especially in the opening when Bel Ami held its own. For the two versions we have, shown below, the Cuir de Russie is more interesting in the base - more timelessly classic. This 2001 Bel Ami is edgy in the base with its pencil sharpener / freshly sharpened pencil smell.

6C41ADD9-9BF4-4198-83C8-16483D27434D.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Somehow in my mind I see that pairing as Chanel’s plush leather gloves vs Bel Ami’s weathered chesterfield armchair.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Somehow in my mind I see that pairing as Chanel’s plush leather gloves vs Bel Ami’s weathered chesterfield armchair.
    That's close to how I view them. It was a good pairing, and Bel Ami is in the running.