Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Vintage Gengis Khan sample pass

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I'm definitely in!

Genghis Khan has been on my test radar for years. Plus I've generally been enjoying this style of fragrance lately. Plus...I hear hednic happens to own and enjoy this one. Love you hednic.
    Sweetness. I have your address.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Uh-oh. That gulping sound you hear is Hednic swallowing his gum.

Were you aware that Aramis is Hednic's only perfume nemesis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I don't want to twist the knife into Hednic, but as this presses into the drydown the resemblance to Aramis New West (which arrived the year before Genghis Khan) gets stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Too right. I'm wearing Tuscany right now.
    So do I. I just think it's amusing that the very first comparison that gets made in a Gengis Khan pass is to Aramis. Hopefully Hednic will find it amusing too.
    As I understand it, the original Aramis is hednic's kryptonite. Perhaps he's not overly fond of the house in general, but I think (?) Aramis Aramis is the main offender. Hopefully he'll chime in!

There's a pretty big stylistic gap between the original leather patchouli bomb and these others that are being referenced as points of comparison! I totally understand regarding the original. That opening is alarming, and I struggle with it as well.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. I mean, uh, not out loud. Into my keyboard.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Uh-oh. That gulping sound you hear is Hednic swallowing his gum.

Were you aware that Aramis is Hednic's only perfume nemesis?
    I thought he only hated original Aramis, not the entire house.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

The more it sits on my skin, the more it skews towards Havana; there was just something about the herbal cocktail in Genghis Khan that brought Tuscany to mind for a phase of its development.

It's a definite thumbs-up from me as well. Very well-made with some nice nuance, and it seems to be manifesting the kind of interesting development you find regularly in older fragrances but has practically disappeared from contemporary releases (fragrances both at high and low ends of the market tilt ever towards linearity).

I'm now curious as to what the current EDP smells like.
    Good stuff, Brooks. So glad you're on the thread.

Always be smelling

Thanks Bavard. Got the sample.
    First impressions : Much better than the one I had tried earlier (Older EDP). The sourness I hated in EDP are much muted in EDT and go well with the musk.
    I find it a bit similar to Joint by Roccobarocco. Joint is much more animalic and in your face while Genghis Khan is softer, rounded by powderiness (perhaps they were going for office-safe at that time).
    NCal compared it to Heritage/Chanel PMC in one of the threads. I did not get that with EDP but do understand it after I tried this EDT.
    There is some civet here but most of the animalics comes from Nitro Musks. Similar to the ones used in Burberrys 1991 Blue Knight version.

All in all a good vintage fragrance that I would not mind in my wardrobe if it was cheap. I would avoid the current version.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    All in all a good vintage fragrance that I would not mind in my wardrobe if it was cheap.
    And for new readers, a brief description of your wardrobe and the criteria for entry?

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    And for new readers, a brief description of your wardrobe and the criteria for entry?
    Ah that is a good one
    Fine I will bite.
    My wardrobe is vintage focused and has evolved with time.
    Criteria for entry - vintage fragrances with price < $1/ml. Non vintage fragrance have to be exceptional and well below $1/ml cutoff to make it it in.
    There are exceptions like - Anateus, BelAmi, slumberhouse, Madhat and a few more

Splits and samples go over that but I do not count them in my wardrobe
    Last edited by epapsiou; 22nd July 2019 at 08:10 PM.

I would avoid the current version.
    Good to know. Thank you.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Ah that is a good one
    Fine I will bite.
    My wardrobe is vintage focused and has evolved with time.
    Criteria for entry - vintage fragrances with price < $1/ml. Non vintage fragrance have to be exceptional and well below $1/ml cutoff to make it it in.
    There are exceptions like - Anateus, BelAmi, slumberhouse and a few more

Splits and samples go over that but I do not count them in my wardrobe
    I don't think your strategy is good. You are missing out on CREED, Roja and Tom Ford.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

Basenotes Plus

There are exceptions like - Anateus, BelAmi, slumberhouse and a few more
    That pretty much defines my own criteria too, but it's getting tougher and tougher to hold the line on that price cutoff.

I admire those of you trying to hold the line on price in a market where things are going mad.

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I don't think your strategy is good. You are missing out on CREED, Roja and Tom Ford.

I find BN splits a good way to try the more expensive ones and figure out if they are worth it.
    The other way to try out TF, Creeds and Roja Dove is to mule them for friends in Canada and take a vig

A few have made the cut including TF and Creed. Roja and Ensar will have to try harder

Always be smelling

I admire those of you trying to hold the line on price in a market where things are going mad.
    My personal view is - one can buy great vintages at that price point so why pay more. Buy vintage Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Diors, Carons, before buying stuff like Roja,Xerjoff, TF.
    But things are getting out of hand and soon that price point will no longer be viable.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

My personal view is - one can buy great vintages at that price point so why pay more. Buy vintage Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Diors, Carons, before buying stuff like Roja,Xerjoff, TF.
    But things are getting out of hand and soon that price point will no longer be viable.
    I feel much of the exodus to niche and vintage (causing the latter to start rising in price to the point of basically also being niche) is due to the degradation of style and quality of the mainstream leading to the severe hum-drum nature of the designer market. There's some gold to be found but there is now just so much drivel with manufactured, focus-group accords that spending more money seems a viable alternative to those not complacent enough for Fruitchouli 5000 or L'eau de Dudebro.

Someone spending just 30 minutes on this forum and watching a handful of YouTube videos can quicky discern that either niche or the vintage world is where most of the really creative stuff is, and good ol' Sammy2Scents on eBay is more than willing to capitalize. The day a vintage bottle of Polo is sitting around the price of a brand-new Roja Dove or Creed is when we can say "Game Over" lol

I eagerly await my sample of GK. <3
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    And, hednic, maybe we can get you to write more than a one-sentence post?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/303...-(New-Formula)!!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I thought about that thread, and maybe posting a link. Good work.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    And, hednic, maybe we can get you to write more than a one-sentence post?
    Very clever. He both fulfilled and refuted that request, all in a single line.

Always be smelling

You need to go back to writing big posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I eagerly await my sample of GK. <3
    Tracking says it was delivered!

You need to go back to writing big posts
    Given that I only started participating here in the recent past--though I'd used BN as a resource before that--I had no idea that Hednic *could* be so verbose. His contributions are so brief and curt these days that I'd actually wondered if he wasn't particularly expressive. I'm relieved to see that isn't the case.

I look forward to ZC's take on the fragrance. As much as he and I come from different places on this whole thing--with a bit of overlap in taste now and again--I always look forward to his take on a fragrance.

Holiday Favorites

Sample received (thanks B!) and worn last night.

I liked it. Really liked it. The spice opening in Genghis is clear, but feels very smooth, rounded, dark. It's primarily a nutmeg/clove accord, but it's so plush and velvety that it reminds me of the texture and "mouthfeel" of like a dark chocolate or something. There's a creamy/woody/patchouli backbone that augments the effect. I actually get more of a parallel to Jacomo de Jacomo (less smoky, but similarly smooth spices) or Cacharel Pour Homme (creamy nutmeg). Love the opening and heart.

For some reason, I was expecting something a bit more aggressive and dry in its spice presentation, perhaps because of all these references to Montana, which I find rather harsh and overly dry, and Havana, which starts aggressively chaotic (in a fun way!) and takes time to settle in. Or maybe the name had me expecting something more threatening; who knows! But it's immediately friendly, welcoming, and just a touch formal.

The base is less plush but maintains the excellent quality standard. To me it's a fairly typical resin/wood/spice accord, with a slight creamy/powdery fougere undertone. A little leftover spice. Not very sweet. It strikes me as quite natural, and something that would project a "friendly/capable" aura, softly and effortlessly. Not the most exciting accord, but immensely enjoyable and easy to live in.

Bottom line: This would make an excellent, tasteful signature scent, and I see why hednic has been so loyal to it as a go-to despite familiarity with (and ownership of) many thousands of others.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Jumping on the Eau de hednic action. Thanks Bavard & Quarry! I've enjoyed reading the impressions so far. I have concocted a fairly strong mental/olfactory image of what GK smells like and am curious to see how close it comes. Things often do not.

LiveJazz seems to be my Mountain Time Zone doppelganger, so we'll see if it continues to pan out. Still shocked you don't like Itasca, though
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Etro

I liked it. Really liked it. The spice opening in Genghis is clear, but feels very smooth, rounded, dark. It's primarily a nutmeg/clove accord, but it's so plush and velvety that it reminds me of the texture and "mouthfeel" of like a dark chocolate or something. There's a creamy/woody/patchouli backbone that augments the effect. I actually get more of a parallel to Jacomo de Jacomo (less smoky, but similarly smooth spices) or Cacharel Pour Homme (creamy nutmeg). Love the opening and heart.

For some reason, I was expecting something a bit more aggressive and dry in its spice presentation, perhaps because of all these references to Montana, which I find rather harsh and overly dry, and Havana, which starts aggressively chaotic (in a fun way!) and takes time to settle in. Or maybe the name had me expecting something more threatening; who knows! But it's immediately friendly, welcoming, and just a touch formal.

The base is less plush but maintains the excellent quality standard. To me it's a fairly typical resin/wood/spice accord, with a slight creamy/powdery fougere undertone. A little leftover spice. Not very sweet. It strikes me as quite natural, and something that would project a "friendly/capable" aura, softly and effortlessly. Not the most exciting accord, but immensely enjoyable and easy to live in.

Bottom line: This would make an excellent, tasteful signature scent, and I see why hednic has been so loyal to it as a go-to despite familiarity with (and ownership of) many thousands of others.
    I love your notes, as always, LiveJazz. I'm tending to agree.

I actually get more of a parallel to Jacomo de Jacomo (less smoky, but similarly smooth spices)
    I've only smelled the current, so maybe aged bottles are a bit different, but I never found there to be anything particularly "smooth" about JdJ's bracing spiceblast opening.

I do agree that GK's opening is pretty pleasant and smooth and rounded, though.

Holiday Favorites

I'm wearing Gengis Khan edt again today. I feel like it's a good quality fragrance more than I feel like I really like it. It smells typical of 1980s men's fragrances, which is great, but it's so effective at it, it's almost bordering on forgettable for me. The sweet woods in this aren't a million miles away from vintage Antaeus. Gengis Khan, and others such Montana Parfum d'Homme, or Salvador Dali for Men, are fragrances that I think I could grow to love, but the accord / vibe that I think they have in common just smells arbitrary to me at this point. I used to feel the same way about vetiver, but I've been acquiring more of a taste for it, and this fragrance, and others like it, could be something I'm excited about in a few years.

If I can find my Jacomo de Jacomo decant, I'll give that comparison some thought.

Basenotes Plus

Super nice review! I can almost smell this one thanks to your highly detailed analysis.
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Noël by Caron

Always be smelling

I've only smelled the current, so maybe aged bottles are a bit different, but I never found there to be anything particularly "smooth" about JdJ's bracing spiceblast opening.

You should try the vintage version of JdJ. One of my all time favs. Get it while still cheap on eBay

I'm somewhat of an outlier in my impression of JdJ being smooth. So many reviews refer to this dark, brooding, aggressive, smoky/spicy beast...and I find it to be quite easygoing.

As far as the comparison to GK...I didn't do a head to head or anything and in no way do I think they're going to be doppelgangers...they just felt tonally somewhat similar to me from memory.

If I may indulge in reference mania...Havana meets Cacharel Pour L'Homme meets Jacomo meets HdP 1899 Hemingway meets Heritage. Or something like that. It channels a lot of good stuff well, so I see how it may blend in with the pack, to Bavard's point. It competes on quality, not unique personality.

Always be smelling

....It competes on quality, not unique personality.
    I could not have said it better.

I'm somewhat of an outlier in my impression of JdJ being smooth. So many reviews refer to this dark, brooding, aggressive, smoky/spicy beast...and I find it to be quite pleasant and smooth.
    I think it gets there--Jacomo's dry-down *is* smooth and mellow and warm--but for the first hour or so it feels pretty forceful to me, like the burn you get from clove cigarette smoke.

And I like that effect, though I don't wear JDJ anymore because it's just *so* loud (I once sprayed JdJ on a card and it practically filled the room).

It channels a lot of good stuff well, so I see how it may not stand out, to Bavard's point.
    GK might have been more of a reference point in its own right had it been more widely available.

I stand by my comparison to Aramis New West--they wear similarly, especially in late stages--though GK is much more sophisticated and dynamic. I got rid of my bottle of New West, but I would've held on to a bottle of GK.

Holiday Favorites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast