Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Gengis Khan sample pass

I just received my sample. I'll try to wear it by Friday. Thanks so much for letting me in on this Bavard!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I stand by my comparison to Aramis New West--they wear similarly, especially in late stages--though GK is much more sophisticated and dynamic. I got rid of my bottle of New West, but I would've held on to a bottle of GK.
    I will have to smell New West again at some point - I don't remember it in much detail.

Reading your comments again...I agree that GK converges with Havana significantly in the base. Havana still has a touch of booze and tobacco which GK does not, but the mellow spicy ambery fougere aspect is pretty a close parallel.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Oland by Avon

Wearing Perfume Right Now

There's a hint of laundry musk in here. Again, similar to a bunch of stuff I like: Antaeus Sport, Coco, a bunch Frederic Malle fragrances. This is a 1990 release, I believe? The slightly sweet laundry musk makes it smell more modern than the impression I sometimes get from the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I just received my sample. I'll try to wear it by Friday. Thanks so much for letting me in on this Bavard!
    Have fun with it!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Have fun with it!
    But not too much fun. I wouldn't want to make scene.

Thanks to Bavard and Quarry for making this happen. First impressions: Just applied a couple sprays, I'm lookin' at the note pyramid and I'm just not catching any of the citrus or lavender aspects of this, but I am getting the clove, nutmeg and thyme and I can maybe detect patchouli creeping in. I've got nothing in my stash that even sort of resembles this, which is not to say it's impossibly unique but more speaks to one of the gaps I have in my collection. I do like it though, and I hope in time I can develop a better take beyond saying something like "it smells like an unlit incense stick," which is where I'm currently at with it. It's hard to imagine how the newer version might be compromised, as it seems like this might be the sort of frag that has some essential qualities that constitute a fully formed vision. If I were looking to explore this general vibe, is there anything approaching a consensus in recommends?
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Thanks to Bavard and Quarry for making this happen. First impressions: Just applied a couple sprays, I'm lookin' at the note pyramid and I'm just not catching any of the citrus or lavender aspects of this, but I am getting the clove, nutmeg and thyme and I can maybe detect patchouli creeping in. I've got nothing in my stash that even sort of resembles this, which is not to say it's impossibly unique but more speaks to one of the gaps I have in my collection. I do like it though, and I hope in time I can develop a better take beyond saying something like "it smells like an unlit incense stick," which is where I'm currently at with it. It's hard to imagine how the newer version might be compromised, as it seems like this might be the sort of frag that has some essential qualities that constitute a fully formed vision. If I were looking to explore this general vibe, is there anything approaching a consensus in recommends?
    Not a consensus yet, although Aramis Havana has been mentioned a few times.

The company mentioned to Hednic that they were having trouble finding the same ingredients years later when they wanted to re-release it.

Not a consensus yet, although Aramis Havana has been mentioned a few times.

The company mentioned to Hednic that they were having trouble finding the same ingredients years later when they wanted to re-release it.
    Gonna have to check it out.

A few hours in I'm noticing some rose, which I don't often like, but will tolerate in supporting roles or in this case where it's a little more pronounced, but still not too much.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Aramis Havana is a good one to check out regardless of its kinship with GK. It's terrific and it's cheap as dirt and it has successfully survived reformulation (someone on here did a vintage/current side-by-side recently and concluded there wasn't much difference).

It's easy to think of scents that reflect aspects of GK, but they're all more cousins than outright siblings.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    1. ExtremeK (by special invitation )
    2. Brooks Otterlake
    3. Shiny Beast
    4. Hazel5
    5. kotori
    6. epapsiou
    7. LiveJazz
    8. IsoESuperman
    9. N.Cal
    10. Quarry
    You could add Zealot Crusader to the list. And with me, it's an even dozen.

IsoESuperman and N.Cal Fragrance Reviewer should get their samples this week.

We've had smelling notes from 1. Brooks Otterlake, 2. Epapsiou, 3. Shiny Beast, 4. LiveJazz, and 5. me.

I'm loving the demystification of this rare, fine fragrance.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

The Khagan has landed. Currently luxuriating in some vintage Gucci No.3 parfum so will give GK a full wearing/full thoughts later, but I couldn't resist a little swipe from the atomizer tube.

One thing is for sure, hednic smells great when he travels! I can absolutely seeing someone being very excited about wearing this and wearing it often. It's smooth, dry, warm, and woody. A little spiced, a little aromatic, and just very enjoyable. To be honest, I'd not have guessed it was a vintage scent. To me it fits more into the 'timeless' realm than leaning modern or classic. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    To be honest, I'd not have guessed it was a vintage scent. To me it fits more into the 'timeless' realm than leaning modern or classic. Good stuff.
    Spot on. I was wearing a little squirt again last night, and thought the same thing. I was trying to decide if it's ahead of its time with that smooth and dry woody structure, or a look back to some spiced orientals and fougeres of the 70s and 80s, and ultimately landed on "both and neither".
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 25th July 2019 at 03:07 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution
    Blog Entries

Hello, everybody above. I've slurped up all your comments with interest.

Today is my first wearing of GK, and I sprayed it on TDH (that's Truly Dear Husband), too. He's basically a thumb up or down kinda smeller, and this is a for him.

Somewhat as disclaimer: Despite being 64yo, I have no history with fragrances before 2005, so I can offer few associations with the evolution of fragrances, particularly of men's scents. The best vocabulary I can use to opine are generic impressions, such as distinguished, restrained, and measured. "Measured" in the sense that the notes seem carefully balanced with each other. Back in high school chorus, Mr. Machan used to tell us about how, when we all got our voices right where he directed us, we'd perceived a kind of ringing bell vibration. That's what GK reminds me of -- all the participants at the right pitch and volume without a soloist standing out. GK plays like gentle, classical music you want humming in the background. It doesn't distract; it pacifies. Maybe that's what dear hednic likes about it -- it doesn't push or pull. I know there are days when I don't want my fragrance to challenge my natural mood.

I like the opening herbal impression more than the heart notes that warm up with spice (clove), as I have a low tolerance for such. I find LiveJazz's "It strikes me as quite natural" to express my perception as well. Definitely a positive attribute in my book.

Yes, a woman could wear this (does anyone need to say such things anymore?). Only the top notes give me the impression of a man's fragrance, and the more time passes, the more unisex it becomes. I think ComDiva might really like this, so I'll send some to her. She's frightfully busy, so I don't know if/when she can add to our conversation.
    Last edited by Quarry; 25th July 2019 at 03:43 PM.
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

I'm really enjoying your reviews, it really does seem like a great fragrance.

I think ComDiva might really like this, so I'll send some to her. She's frightfully busy, so I don't know if/when she can add to our conversation.
    Oh, it'd be fun to hear from ComDiva!

Basenotes Plus

So many great reviews. I'll add my two cents. And thanks so much Bavard for the speedy post. It seems like I got my sample a day after supplying my address!

I've enjoyed two days of GK, despite one application. It lasted 14 hours before I showered off any remnants. So longevity on me was tremendous. The opening herbal/green blast was a bit harsh on me and was an instant turnoff. And though I dislike gendered labels it did strike me as very masculine. But over time, after an hour or so, and as Quarry mentioned, it became much more unisex. Very spicy and ambery. Rounder. Softer. And this is where I started to like it. After about 6 hours, dry woods and patchouli emerged and it settled into something of a skin scent. But it still retained an ambery background, which I loved. I got opinions from brother and 8 and 12 y/o nieces and they all gave it a thumbs up. I have absolutely zero knowledge of most of the fragrances this is being compared to. So it's really been a de novo experience. I can't say that I would every purchase this for myself, though given the potency and longevity it's a bargain and might make a nice gift for the boyfriend.

I have plenty to share, so if we need to add anyone to the pass, I'm happy to send! Europe okay too.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    I have plenty to share, so if we need to add anyone to the pass, I'm happy to send! Europe okay too.
    I love your smelling notes on this one, Hazel5. Thank you! And great idea to pass along your sample to someone else who might be interested.

Just for US?

Well, time to time

Basenotes Institution
    Blog Entries

Every once in a while, I thought "Am I wearing Opium?", but a direct comparison does not find a true correlation. As Hazel says, the longevity and tenacity are excellent. After showering, I can still smell the base notes when I smell at skin level.
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

Every once in a while, I thought "Am I wearing Opium?", but a direct comparison does not find a true correlation. As Hazel says, the longevity and tenacity are excellent. After showering, I can still smell the base notes when I smell at skin level.
    Ha! I actually had the same thought for a brief moment, but had no Opium to compare and decided it was a stretch overall. Glad you could confirm! But it goes to show this is a time and genre bender.

Came to say I received this (thank you!) and am currently getting over a virus. Will post thoughts when I’m feeling better.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post

If no one more worthy and with better and more experienced nose than me (or someone from US) wants it, then I would love to sample this. I could then pass on the remaining vial to other Europeans if there would be more interest, as I'm a light dabber anyway.
    But I have no knowledge on vintage fragrances and I'm quite a newbie so my input wouldn't be very useful.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I dove into the sample today. Genghis Khan draws parallels to Montana Parfum d'Homme and Aramis Havana, but with a bit of that dry civeted chypre feeling of something like Monsieur Lanvin or vintage Moustache by Rochas, but with an 80's patchouli vibe a la Boss No 1. In other words, an amalgam of potent manly man styles and sitting between a few common tropes of the late 80's and early 90's. I can see how somebody could fall in love with this, but on the flipside of the coin, somebody stocked with a lot of things in this style could also live without it.

The hype isn't as intense on this as some things (eg Gucci PH 2002), but everyone's favorite hyena sure makes Genghis Khan's presence felt in SOTD posts. I can understand why he'd have this as his favorite, since it's very much a confident successful businessman scent with the mix of tobacco, booze, spices, and animalic musk, yet rides just shy of being over the top. I imagine modern is less powdery and musky, which would probably be better for people into modern niche, but I quite like this as is.

However, this would be a tad redundant to me so I wouldn't hunt it unless a super good deal turned up.

I dove into the sample today. Genghis Khan draws parallels to Montana Parfum d'Homme and Aramis Havana, but with a bit of that dry civeted chypre feeling of something like Monsieur Lanvin or vintage Moustache by Rochas, but with an 80's patchouli vibe a la Boss No 1. In other words, an amalgam of potent manly man styles and sitting between a few common tropes of the late 80's and early 90's. I can see how somebody could fall in love with this, but on the flipside of the coin, somebody stocked with a lot of things in this style could also live without it.

The hype isn't as intense on this as some things (eg Gucci PH 2002), but everyone's favorite hyena sure makes Genghis Khan's presence felt in SOTD posts. I can understand why he'd have this as his favorite, since it's very much a confident successful businessman scent with the mix of tobacco, booze, spices, and animalic musk, yet rides just shy of being over the top. I imagine modern is less powdery and musky, which would probably be better for people into modern niche, but I quite like this as is.

However, this would be a tad redundant to me so I wouldn't hunt it unless a super good deal turned up.
    Level-headed as always, ZC.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 30th July 2019 at 11:43 AM.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

I think this old edt version is great for people who are into niche. It's an early niche fragrance.

Niche doesn't click with me as much, at least this style. There's good note separation, which is good. That makes it interesting, and it feels high quality. But something about the fixatives / laundry musks used for that effect slightly annoy me. It's like keyboard instead of piano, but a really nice keyboard. I'd rather wear Havana - well, I'll see which one I end up wearing more.

Aramis Havana is a never-want-to-be-without-it fragrance for me and it's actually what I'm wearing today. It's less versatile than GK, less of an "all-arounder," but, as far as I'm concerned, it also offers a more vivid experience. Havana may have some similarities with other releases, but it's still a singular oddity, and that's precisely why I fell in love with it.

Hednic's other favorite, Burberry London, can similarly be described as a versatile, well-behaved fragrance with strong similarities to fragrances that preceded and followed it. I probably love the gourmand-tinged tobacco category more than I love the aromatic green-woody category, but while Burberry London is pleasant, I passed it on to a new owner; it was balanced but just wasn't as distinct a wearing experience for me as other stuff I'd sampled.

I have a little GK left and I'm going to save it for when autumn weather arrives just to see what else emerges in its composition when I wear it in a different context.

Autumn Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Hednic's other favorite, Burberry London, can similarly be described as a versatile, well-behaved fragrance with strong similarities to fragrances that preceded and followed it.
    He recommends safe ones. He wouldn't want someone back on hear yelling at him.

He recommends safe ones. He wouldn't want someone back on hear yelling at him.
    Every once in a while, an oddity seems to creep in to his recommendations. But I'll admit he buys so much and so frequently that I have a hard time gauging his tastes.

Autumn Favorites

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think this old edt version is great for people who are into niche. It's an early niche fragrance.

Niche doesn't click with me as much, at least this style. There's good note separation, which is good. That makes it interesting, and it feels high quality. But something about the fixatives / laundry musks used for that effect slightly annoy me. It's like keyboard instead of piano, but a really nice keyboard. I'd rather wear Havana - well, I'll see which one I end up wearing more.
    I kinda got that same uneasiness in the fixatives as you. Maybe it's the civet/civetone musk and the powdery note sitting in place of a more-conventional base like Havana has. It makes Genghis Khan feel oddly "perfumey" in comparison, which normally isn't a bad thing but when coupled with such a masculine top/heart does comes across a tad confusing.

Hello, everybody above. I've slurped up all your comments with interest.

Today is my first wearing of GK, and I sprayed it on TDH (that's Truly Dear Husband), too. He's basically a thumb up or down kinda smeller, and this is a for him.

Somewhat as disclaimer: Despite being 64yo, I have no history with fragrances before 2005, so I can offer few associations with the evolution of fragrances, particularly of men's scents. The best vocabulary I can use to opine are generic impressions, such as distinguished, restrained, and measured. "Measured" in the sense that the notes seem carefully balanced with each other. Back in high school chorus, Mr. Machan used to tell us about how, when we all got our voices right where he directed us, we'd perceived a kind of ringing bell vibration. That's what GK reminds me of -- all the participants at the right pitch and volume without a soloist standing out. GK plays like gentle, classical music you want humming in the background. It doesn't distract; it pacifies. Maybe that's what dear hednic likes about it -- it doesn't push or pull. I know there are days when I don't want my fragrance to challenge my natural mood.

I like the opening herbal impression more than the heart notes that warm up with spice (clove), as I have a low tolerance for such. I find LiveJazz's "It strikes me as quite natural" to express my perception as well. Definitely a positive attribute in my book.

Yes, a woman could wear this (does anyone need to say such things anymore?). Only the top notes give me the impression of a man's fragrance, and the more time passes, the more unisex it becomes.
    Great read, Quarry. Mission accomplished on learning about this one!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast