Code of Conduct

Default Does light ACTUALLY cause fragrances to expire prematurely or is that a myth?

I understand sunlight causing the molecules in a fragrance to break down due to the constant heat from the sunlight but I don't think a regular light like a closet light or a bedroom light will cause a fragrance to break down. I have had nautica voyage for over 7 years and I have stored it in the worse of places like the dashboard of my car and my bathroom and it still smells like nautica voyage. Has anyone's fragrance ever gone bad and Is there a real science behind lights and fragrances or is it just one of those lies that enough people believe therefore its considered a fact?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Does light ACTUALLY cause fragrances to expire prematurely or is that a myth?

The type of light you're talking about I would say minimal effect perhaps not any, depending on the wattage and how long the bottle is exposed and whether it's directly in the path. Those high intensity type lamps in stores focusing directly on the bottle - that might be a different story over an extended period of time. Just a hunch.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

User of Toilet Water

Default Re: Does light ACTUALLY cause fragrances to expire prematurely or is that a myth?

As a general rule, I don't think perfume is as delicate as some seem to think. Of course it depends on ingredients among other factors. The chemicals in Nautica Voyage might very well survive a nuclear attack.

Natural ingredients are probably more delicate than synthetics. For the most part, if a bottle is exposed occasionally to light from a lightbulb that isn't extraordinarily harsh, there is likely nothing to worry about. I think the refrigerator method is a bit overkill.

More of an urban legend FWIW. How many chemical compounds do you know chemically react under exposure to light? Not many, and most of these are used in photo-developing processes, certainly not in fragrance manufacturing where human wearers are frequently expected to be out in the light. I’ve kept a bottle of Zegna Haitian Vetiver on display under the spotlight for the last 3 years. It still smells the same to me. That said, fragrances do degrade over long periods of time. But there are other factors influencing the process. Oxidation for one. Extreme temperatures could be another. But many modern aromachemicals are valued for their stability.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Missing Oakmoss

Vintage fragrances are quite susceptible to degradation from direct sunlight. I doubt that modern compositions, made mostly from aromachemicals, are nearly as delicate; stil, it's probably a good idea to store perfumes in a cool dark environment. We're learning as we go, in this age of IFRA and reformulation.

Would say that there can be a certain probability.
    However, should this happen, the light sources might have to be both very powerfully and continuously targeted on the fragrance bottle- which might be possible yet also highly unlikely.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Vintage fragrances are quite susceptible to degradation from direct sunlight. I doubt that modern compositions, made mostly from aromachemicals, are nearly as delicate; stil, it's probably a good idea to store perfumes in a cool dark environment. We're learning as we go, in this age of IFRA and reformulation.
    Agreed.

It's the direct sunlight, and possibly excessive heat, that does older fragrances in. I doubt if most artificial light has much impact at all.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Its not LIGHT itself, its the amount of UV and its strength that can cause issues with fragrance left exposed.
    The main culprit is the Sun. add to that the fact many people used to leave their perfumes on the bathroom shelf, where sunlight was prominent, and the air much much warmer, i would imagine both had a significant effect on any perfume sitting in that place.
    However nowadays, we tend to keep our perfumes out of sunlight, and normal Candecent bulbs and Strip Lighting seems to be perfectly safe for perfumes. Like Hednic says, the intense lights in boutiques etc may habe an impact because theyre on permanent and very harsh.

If anything, id say the biggest killer of perfumes would be variable heat changes, for example if your bathroom is really cold overnight, then the heating kicks in, and the perfumes warm up quickly, it more likely causes condensation inside the airspace of used bottles, and contaminates the fragrance, just my thiughts, but i wonder how true?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin View Post
    ..........................................Has anyone's fragrance ever gone bad and Is there a real science behind lights and fragrances ...........................
    Read about it. It's best to keep the things in direct sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's best to keep the things in direct sunlight.
    not* ?