Code of Conduct

Default Adidas Moves is underrated

I recently purchased a bottle for the first time in at least 6 or 7 years. At that time the bottle I had, it didn't smell very good. It opened ok, but then went chemical on me. This version I have is without doubt reformulated, and for the best. A picture below of what the bottle looks like that I have.

Sadly, the problem is that if you get one from 6-7 years ago, it looks the exact same. The one bottle that looks different are the original which have an engraved sort of cap, that shows the actual Adidas logo, and says "Moves" in big letters in the center. I think after that there was a version of the current one, with the old school style cap.. so there may have been 3 possibly even 4 different bottles of this in its 20 year tenure.

I ordered mine from Fragnet, so maybe too, there is a possibility (we have discussed this in other threads) that Fragnet is carrying a different version. as it has been discussed that frags like this, Nautica Voyage, Cool Water, Tommy, etc. make cheaper versions that look exactly the same on the outside but tweak the formula of the juice for stores like Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, etc, and then sell the more superior versions in higher end stores at higher prices. While it does seem far fetched, it is not impossible, as I have noticed SIGNIFICANT difference in some of these, despite being made in the same years.

The current formulation.. Excellent, if you order from Fragnet. It's super long lasting for a cheapy citrus. The opening is soooo good, if you like vibrant citruses. It sort of reminds me of a popular cheapy that I smell on guys sometimes, called Lucky You, except Lucky You has this weird chemical smell to my nose. They both contain the unique tomato leaf/citrus sort of combination. Tomato leaf gives it a sour aspect, and the citrus helps to balance it. Don't be deterred by sour, as this is not a sour frag at all. The sourness is mostly in the initial blast, but it mellows out fast and turns into Versace pH but with more citrus and less aquatic. Also throw some mint in there. The juniper undertone adds a certain masculinity to this, and the lavender gives it a clean/fresh feeling and imo prolongs the longevity of the top and mid notes. After the opening, there is A LOT going on in the mid, and it's hard to detect individual notes because it's pretty smooth. Lavender is always a stand out note for me, it tends to dominate, and that's what I get here in the mid. Once you smell it, you will be met with an unmistakable noticeable smell once you pass about 10 minutes on skin, that is lavender. Some will like it and some won't. As it can ten to have a "dirty diaper" effect. I think though, in this case, it doesn't overstep and go into dirty diaper territory, but it does get close, and if you smell it, you'll know what I mean.

Spray this on clothing, you'll smell it the next day, and wonder where this amazing smell is coming from.. and forget it's on your shirt. Spray this on skin, you'll be blessed if you smell it 8 hours late. For the price point, there are no complaints from me on performance. This is easily one of the best and most interesting bang for your bucks out there, and overall one of the best citrus frags, that has been untouched for 20 years now.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Default Re: Adidas Moves is underrated

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It sort of reminds me of a popular cheapy that I smell on guys sometimes, called Lucky You, except Lucky You has this weird chemical smell to my nose.
    To me this chemical accord is what makes Lucky You so great

Basenotes Junkie

I must admit I love Adidas Moves and allways keep a bottle around, though it has allways smelled the same to me. It was my first cologne when i was a kid. I'm 34 now and I will still wear it on occasion when I need an uplifting clean citrus that will last 2 or 3 hours. It is great for what it is. If it lasted 6 hours on my skin I would wear it frequently. But, I will never be without a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason125 View Post
    I must admit I love Adidas Moves and allways keep a bottle around, though it has allways smelled the same to me. It was my first cologne when i was a kid. I'm 34 now and I will still wear it on occasion when I need an uplifting clean citrus that will last 2 or 3 hours. It is great for what it is. If it lasted 6 hours on my skin I would wear it frequently. But, I will never be without a bottle.
    Seems to work better indoors on my skin. I have been wearing it inside as I've been home, the past couple says, and it does very well. It also lingers on my clothes for a good while.

Later, I'll look for a batch code on the bottle to see if I can find when it was made, cause I do think it lasts longer than previous bottles I've owned, as well as smell slightly more rounded out. Though I am not sure if Adidas even does batch codes on bottles.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    as it has been discussed that frags like this, Nautica Voyage, Cool Water, Tommy, etc. make cheaper versions that look exactly the same on the outside but tweak the formula of the juice for stores like Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, etc, and then sell the more superior versions in higher end stores at higher prices. While it does seem far fetched, it is not impossible, as I have noticed SIGNIFICANT difference in some of these, despite being made in the same years.
    I would be really surprised by this because honestly, once the fragrance is developed and licensed, it's the cheapest thing in the fragrance package. The box it comes in costs more to manufacture than the juice. The bottle costs FAR, FAR more to manufacture than the juice inside it. I can't imagine there would be any reason to put even cheaper juice in certain bottles that look exactly the same and then try to keep track of what is going to which retailer. The juice costs pennies. That's why every celebrity and his brother tries to get into the fragrance biz... because if you can create a top-seller you're basically printing money.

Congratulations for getting this one and thank you for the extensive, informative review highly enjoyed to read.

Personally can relate, at least in part, with many aspects mention about this fragrance, having experienced this one in the past as one of the definitely better, more complex and pleasantly versatile Adidas versions/flankers.

I received a bottle from a girlfriend as a gift 10+ years ago. I keep it in my desk drawer at work, but hardly ever use it. It’s not bad, but nothing I’d buy if my current bottle ever runs out (it likely won’t). I don’t see the comparison to Lucky You, though perhaps there has been significant reformulation. To me, the discontinued Lalique Pour Homme Faune is closer in style (though better).

2F9EB63D-E148-4CE4-A28A-4F8FD2B3A5C4.jpg

I get this for my kids quite often. For a ten dollar fragrance, it's hard to beat.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos