Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Best budget (under ~$50) leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    Want this one a lot. They don't ship to europe..How can I take a bootle of this? Thanks to all of you guys
    EBay. But it’s not worth the price the scalpers are asking for.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Cheap and good only go together in the same sentence with leather accords if we're talking vintage, because better materials were available at lower costs then. Stuff like vintage English Leather, Avon Leather, and Cabochard is glorious. Never going to see that from modern designers now. Everything is that weird suede ambroxan note like in Coach for Men.
    That's a shame; I'm not a huge fan of ambroxan, and definitely not if it's trying to be leather or suede. I've spent the last six months or so getting to know a lot of contemporary fragrances, but now that I've got some experience there sounds like it's time to go down the vintage rabbit hole.

Que scay-je?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    That's a shame; I'm not a huge fan of ambroxan, and definitely not if it's trying to be leather or suede. I've spent the last six months or so getting to know a lot of contemporary fragrances, but now that I've got some experience there sounds like it's time to go down the vintage rabbit hole.
    Just with leathers really. In this day and age you can't really get a good cheap leather. Still many nice options in other genres at the cheaper end though.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: HisStory by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Just with leathers really. In this day and age you can't really get a good cheap leather. Still many nice options in other genres at the cheaper end though.
    I think Monotheme Leather is still quite good at that pricepoint, and can still be found for under $20. Unfortunately discontinued now, and hard to find in the States or the UK. Cuoio by Pal Zilieri (a Tuscan Leather clone) was quite good too, but probably also discontinued recently.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

JKonick, if you go back upmarket, don't miss out on sampling Floris Leather Oud (not the Dior of the same name). It has a gorgeously vivid, strong leather note that it presents with clarity and frames with atypically fresh accents. It's a bit like sitting in an expensive, brand-new suede leather armchair housed inside of a solarium full of fresh flowers.

The Bvlgari sounds like a good option.
    It is! Black Orient is my favourite fragrance from Bvlgari since their Pour Homme days, and I think it's a smarter take on Middle Eastern meeting Western designer aesthetics than most (it's better than the Tom Ford stuff that predominantly plays in that territory and, as far as I'm concerned, is also preferable to the Basenoter-approved Aramis Calligraphy trio).

The leather is certainly recognizable as such, though it's married with other elements, so it's not a leather blast like the Tom Ford leather scents. It's a smooth blend with a bit of spiciness in the opening. Very masculine and it has consistent presence without being shouty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

You can find this online for around $50, which is a bargain if you're into stuff like this. Albeit, more a woody-leather than strictly a leather.
    A genuinely terrific scent.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Knize Ten (small bottle)

I can't say whether or not it's the "best," but my two favorite leathers under $50 are John Varvatos (John Varvatos) and Mercedes Benz VIP Club Black Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    JKonick, if you go back upmarket, don't miss out on sampling Floris Leather Oud (not the Dior of the same name). It has a gorgeously vivid, strong leather note that it presents with clarity and frames with atypically fresh accents. It's a bit like sitting in an expensive, brand-new suede leather armchair housed inside of a solarium full of fresh flowers.

It is! Black Orient is my favourite fragrance from Bvlgari since their Pour Homme days, and I think it's a smarter take on Middle Eastern meeting Western designer aesthetics than most (it's better than the Tom Ford stuff that predominantly plays in that territory and, as far as I'm concerned, is also preferable to the Basenoter-approved Aramis Calligraphy trio).

The leather is certainly recognizable as such, though it's married with other elements, so it's not a leather blast like the Tom Ford leather scents. It's a smooth blend with a bit of spiciness in the opening. Very masculine and it has consistent presence without being shouty.

A genuinely terrific scent.
    The Floris sounds like a great option. I'm open to more expensive stuff but mainly just looking for a cheap option to tack on to my FragranceNet order (a bunch of Demeter stuff). Ended up getting the Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider which is absurdly cheap for 4.2 oz on FN. Went with that over the Bvlgari mostly just because I'm not sure how the floral notes would jive with the rest of the mix. I've got a Google Doc list of all these now (among many other lists I've made for myself), so I'll keep them on my radar.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping there would be some Encre Noire leather equivalent. Iso E Super is one of my favorite synthetic notes, so at least I can indulge in lots of sharp wood cheapies. Ever since I got Rogue's Mousse Illuminee though I've been thinking about vintage formulations and what the oakmoss era was like.

Que scay-je?

The Floris sounds like a great option. I'm open to more expensive stuff but mainly just looking for a cheap option to tack on to my FragranceNet order (a bunch of Demeter stuff). Ended up getting the Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider which is absurdly cheap for 4.2 oz on FN. Went with that over the Bvlgari mostly just because I'm not sure how the floral notes would jive with the rest of the mix.
    Blvgari Black Orient isn't particularly floral; it's built around an impressionistic (read: synthetic, but not in a bad way) take on the Taif rose, which is much more masculine than the conventional rose note, and a well-behaved, smooth synthoud. To that it pairs what was the best thing about the fragrance that preceded it, Man in Black, which was a leather-rum accord (but more a hint of booze than a BOOZE scent). It's obviously riffing on Middle Eastern scent DNA, but presents it in a way that eschews opulence for a kind of minimalistic clarity. I think it works really well.

Bvlgari Man in Black is more floral, and I don't really care for it. I think it all kinda clashes together.

Let me know what you make of Dark Rebel Rider, since it shows up in my local Marshalls all the time and I often flirt with giving it a try.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Blvgari Black Orient isn't particularly floral; it's built around an impressionistic (read: synthetic, but not in a bad way) take on the Taif rose, which is much more masculine than the conventional rose note, and a well-behaved, smooth synthoud. To that it pairs what was the best thing about the fragrance that preceded it, Man in Black, which was a leather-rum accord (but more a hint of booze than a BOOZE scent). It's obviously riffing on Middle Eastern scent DNA, but presents it in a way that eschews opulence for a kind of minimalistic clarity. I think it works really well.

Bvlgari Man in Black is more floral, and I don't really care for it. I think it all kinda clashes together.

Let me know what you make of Dark Rebel Rider, since it shows up in my local Marshalls all the time and I often flirt with giving it a try.
    I'll definitely post my thoughts on the Varvatos. Sounds like MiB would be safe then - I don't mind a little rose but the reviews I read made it sound floral in an odd way. I've got high hopes for the Varvatos though - aside from the vanilla it's all notes I like. And Sebastian from Looking Smelling Feeling Great on Youtube gave it a good review, and I generally seem to have similar tastes to his. He said it was niche-worthy at Marshall's prices, so I'll be very curious to get my nose on it.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Knize Ten (small bottle)
    Seconded, plus also GFT Spanish Leather (if not discontinued and thus prone to Ebay style price hikes), Avon Black Suede, Bogart Signature, a small bottle of Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Seconded, plus also GFT Spanish Leather (if not discontinued and thus prone to Ebay style price hikes), Avon Black Suede, Bogart Signature, a small bottle of Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver
    I hadn't heard of the Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir before - I like Eau Sauvage so I'll definitely add that to my list. Is it discontinued?

Looks like a small bottle of Knize Ten can be found for reasonable prices, and it seems to be a classic worth smelling. Will probably be one of my next purchases.

Que scay-je?

I hadn't heard of the Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir before - I like Eau Sauvage so I'll definitely add that to my list. Is it discontinued?

Looks like a small bottle of Knize Ten can be found for reasonable prices, and it seems to be a classic worth smelling. Will probably be one of my next purchases.

Even if not discontinued, Eau Sauvage Fraicheuir Cuir might be among the ones of limited availability. Personally considering this one to be among the few noteworthy designer leathers and while not strikingly similar to the regular Eau Sauvage EDT, actually combining and also correcting some of the characteristics found in two Eau Sauvage flankers: less brash and attention grabbing, with added smoothness and complexity yet quite similar performance compared to the Extreme and the Parfum version.
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Avon Black Suede is also a nice one but rounder and more ambery
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: HisStory by Avon

'Black Soul Imperial' (2011) by Alexandra Carlin for Ted Lapidus Paris
    'Black Soul Imperial' (2011) by Alexandra Carlin for Ted Lapidus Paris (01baa).jpg

'Royal Leather' (2012) by Raphael Haury for Charriol Genève
    'Royal Leather' (2012) by Raphael Haury for Charriol Genève (01c0a).jpg
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Fragonard

So I ended up getting the Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider, and I'm wearing it tonight for the first time. I hadn't given much thought to Varvatos - I'll be honest, I was mostly just judgmental about the bottle design (and still am to some degree) and wrote it off. But this is actually really nice and I'm glad I picked it up.

Definitely opens with a lot of plasticky leather and marjoram. I really like the marjoram note mixing in with the bitter orange and some florals, giving the opening an overall soapy but also astringent herbal smell. I definitely get some patchouli from this, or maybe it's the cocoa and leather making me think it's patchouli. Into the heart and dry down it seems to go in a more smokey leather vanilla campfire direction. Overall it's a complex blend of plasticky leather/vinyl that seems to last all the way through along with a bunch of other weird/interesting (to me) notes that make it a pretty unique fragrance and good for the price. Probably not for everyone as I could see the citrus/marjoram/patchouli/leather opening being off-putting, but it was a successful blind buy for me and I'll look forward to wearing it more in fall/winter.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

You can find this online for around $50, which is a bargain if you're into stuff like this. Albeit, more a woody-leather than strictly a leather.
    +1.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA