Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I'm stuck in men's fragrance purgatory

I've been frustrated in my fragrance journey lately because I can't seem to find a versatile, well performing and high quality masculine fragrance that doesn't fall into one of the following categories:

1. Generic "Blue" Smell: Is that BVLGARI or your body wash or your deodorant or all of them?
    2. Too Niche-ey or Artistic: It's a very beautiful and well crafted fragrance on its own but I just don't want to smell like that and nobody likes it when I do
    3. Dated or a Nostalgic Throwback: Reminds you of the old-timey barbershop your grandpa went to or a classic powerhouse worn by an 80s Wall Street guy or the cool water breeze of a 90s style aquatic... etc.
    4. A Stereotypical Characterization of Masculinity: Notes - whiskey, 10 types of wood, smoke, engine oil, leather, machine guns, monster truck exhaust, gym sweat, iron nails and pain

It seems like every time find a new recommendation for a good masculine fragrance, it quickly falls into one of the above mentioned categories. Or, if I find something that seems to meet my criteria, the performance is terrible.

I know this is all subjective but I'd love some help in finding a great decidedly masculine, slightly mature fragrance that I can wear for most situations that is somewhat modern and original - perhaps released in the last decade. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece but I'd like to find something that has a bit of mass appeal while offering some depth and uniqueness for those who wish to notice it. GIT, Bleu, Sauvage and Aventus are off the table. I do like fresh and clean style fragrances as long as they have some depth and don't just smell like a 90s aquatic or a citrus bomb.

Please help me out of purgatory.

Default Re: I'm stuck in men's fragrance purgatory

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post

1. Generic "Blue" Smell: Is that BVLGARI or your body wash or your deodorant or all of them?
    2. Too Niche-ey or Artistic: It's a very beautiful and well crafted fragrance on its own but I just don't want to smell like that and nobody likes it when I do
    3. Nostalgic Throwback to an Older Era: Reminds you of the old-timey barbershop your grandpa went to or a classic powerhouse worn by an 80s Wall Street guy or the cool water breeze of a 90s style aquatic... etc.
    4. A Stereotypical Characterization of Masculinity: Notes - whiskey, 10 types of wood, smoke, engine oil, leather, machine guns, monster truck exhaust, gym sweat, iron nails and pain
    Just wanted to tell you I enjoyed your list of pitfalls immensely. Thank you for a good laugh!

To my nose, Terre D'Hermes doesn't fall into these traps and is both mature, masculine and quite unique. Or maybe it does fall into one of these to you? I'm not familiar with how barbershops used to smell.
    I also liked Ginepro Nero by L'Erbolario, some reviewers say it's similar to TD'H, but to me it's darker, pinier and with a refreshing juniper note.

I've mostly tried designer scents, but I have similar tastes to what you described here and found Invictus to be my favorite.

Versatile, Good Performance, Not a Blue Frag (or a Typical one, IMO), Not too Niche, is Modern, is not trying too hard to be Masculine.

I've been frustrated in my fragrance journey lately because I can't seem to find a versatile, well performing and high quality masculine fragrance that doesn't fall into one of the following categories:

3. Dated or a Nostalgic Throwback: Reminds you of the old-timey barbershop your grandpa went to or a classic powerhouse worn by an 80s Wall Street guy or the cool water breeze of a 90s style aquatic... etc.

It seems like every time find a new recommendation for a good masculine fragrance, it quickly falls into one of the above mentioned categories. Or, if I find something that seems to meet my criteria, the performance is terrible.

Love your list. I ran into the same issues and moved away from most fragrances marketed as masculines because I find most of them quite boring (that generic 'blue' smell is everywhere) and stereotypical.

The following are some that I can recommend, though beware, some are marketed as unisex:

- 1805 Truefitt and Hill: Maybe the tiniest bit old fashioned and aquatic, but still such a nice, natural fragrance,
    - Armani Prive Vetiver d'Hiver: Round, dry vetiver and citrus. Probably the most versatile fragrance in my wardrobe,
    - Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent: Full-bodied, creamy vetiver with spice. Good in winter and the high heat of summer,
    - Armani Code Sport: A very nice take on mint and citrus peel, a very good take on the 'Sport' sub-genre,
    - Hermes Eau des Merveilles (Bleue): An unique amber fragrance with an emphasis on orange, pine and driftwood. Very fresh, not cloying at all. The Bleue flanker is more aquatic. Marketed towards women, but don't knock it until you try it,
    - Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee: Guerlinade and vetiver. A lot of people get lime, I personally don't to a major degree,
    - Tam Dao EdT: Lots of cedar and othre woods, a hint of conifers and spices. Very dry.

One answer: Héritage (EdT/EdP) by Guerlain

Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Hermes Terre d’Hermes

Random alphabetical pick ...just to name 2 accessible fragrances with mass appeal and none of the traits you highlighted.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

+1 Guerlain Heritage either in EDT or EDP versatile and performance is excellent, a great tip often overlooked is to apply some to your clothing too. Not only does performance last longer but top notes into the dry down burn slower, skin types and sweating plays a roll in lasting time and performance results.

I’m throwing in Azzaro Pour Homme, timeless fragrance and performance is great refillable bottles double up on sprays in each spot sprayed. 6.8oz bottles the sprayer is massive and 4-4.5 sprays last all day!

Other worthy mentions are:

Chanel Allure Homme
    Boucheron Pour Homme

Good thread. Honestly, I think similarly.

I'd add a 5. Aventus and its type of clones, subvariants, inspired by, and similar-tos. Fruity, fresh, with a smokey/woody background.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Azzaro Wanted for something affordable

Amouage Epic Man or Bracken Man for something a bit more upscale.
    oh look, I have a signature

Or you could just go whole-hog on all four types you mentioned and layer Cool Water with Bijan for Men.

I'll venture to say that would be a scent no human has ever experienced before.

I've been frustrated...Please help me out of purgatory.
    What are three you dig and one or two you don't?
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

GUCCI ph2

A Stereotypical Characterization of Masculinity: Notes - whiskey, 10 types of wood, smoke, engine oil, leather, machine guns, monster truck exhaust, gym sweat, iron nails and pain
    Sounds excellent. I seem to fail to find a lot of these. Only a very few smell as hard as my biceps .

Did you try Aventus yet? I just thought it's good (but too expensive) but many seem to love it. Ok, just saw that you had mentioned it in the original post. Egoiste, Breath of God, Richard James, Dior Homme?

While relating with some points and especially the heavy promotion, abundant availability and bestselling figures on all the categories mentioned, was also quite lucky enough to find a few scents that may be the notable exceptions.
    Or at least less easily to identify and to categorize within these four aforementioned groups and less influenced by these, perhaps including without being limited to:
    Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche, Best of Chevignon, Lalique White, remarkably neither of these very expensive nor too scarce/difficult to obtain.

P.S. Actually personally preferring the types 2,3 of 4 of fragrances, ideally a combination of all last 3 at once (though highly unlikely to happen) quite closer to paradise rather than actual purgatory and the only reason why these ones may bring up a sensation of purgatory would be low performance, limited availability etc. on each.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 19th July 2019 at 12:59 PM.
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Yay - a non-conformist!

I'm just a girl, but I find Shalimar to be unisex - I recommend vintage Eau de Cologne. There is the rich citrus, petroleum note, and smoothest vanilla liqueur. Better than fermented pineapple any day.

Lalique - Encre Noire
    Oscar de la Renta - Gentleman
    Tom Ford - Fougere D'argent
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Basenotes Plus

Fahrenheit.

Came out in 1988 and still smells more modern than most recent offerings, and certainly more interesting than the usual blue soup of mall scents. Be prepared for engine oil/leather/monster truck exhaust + florals too. With all that, smells especially great on the right woman. And the recent formulation is very good, for the first time in nearly 20 years.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps Sedley
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Fahrenheit.

Came out in 1988 and still smells more modern than most recent offerings, and certainly more interesting than the usual blue soup of mall scents. Be prepared for engine oil/leather/monster truck exhaust + florals too. With all that, smells especially great on the right woman. And the recent formulation is very good, for the first time in nearly 20 years.
    I'm afraid this goes under the "4. A Stereotypical Characterization of Masculinity: Notes - whiskey, 10 types of wood, smoke, engine oil, leather, machine guns, monster truck exhaust, gym sweat, iron nails and pain"
    But you are right, it is amazing and I was extremely surprised how good I felt wearing it - it was great on me indeed, at least I thought so. I definitely see a bottle of either gasoline-ish EDT or gourmand gasoline-ish EDP in my future.

Basenotes Plus

Kouros

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I'm afraid this goes under the "4. A Stereotypical Characterization of Masculinity: Notes - whiskey, 10 types of wood, smoke, engine oil, leather, machine guns, monster truck exhaust, gym sweat, iron nails and pain"

But you are right, it is amazing and I was extremely surprised how good I felt wearing it - it was great on me indeed, at least I thought so. I definitely see a bottle of either gasoline-ish EDT or gourmand gasoline-ish EDP in my future.
    As I noted, but about as far as "Stereotypical Characterization of Masculinity" as you're likely to find. Naturally, the fragrance itself was created almost by happy accident, and as far away from the bean-counters as possible.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Dior Homme
    LIDG PH EDT
    CdG 2 Man

Basenotes Plus

Acqua di Parma Sandalo

I know this is all subjective but I'd love some help in finding a great decidedly masculine, slightly mature fragrance that I can wear for most situations that is somewhat modern and original - perhaps released in the last decade. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece but I'd like to find something that has a bit of mass appeal while offering some depth and uniqueness for those who wish to notice it. GIT, Bleu, Sauvage and Aventus are off the table. I do like fresh and clean style fragrances as long as they have some depth and don't just smell like a 90s aquatic or a citrus bomb.

Jovoy L'Art de la Guerre

Spectacular unique scent that doesn't hit any of your traps. I find it to be very versatile and I reach for it often. It also works surprisingly well in summer heat, the tart rhubarb note is refreshing in 90+ degree heat and I can't see many disliking the overall composition. It also lasts forever on me which I can't say about many fragrances

Terre d'Hermes as a few others have mentioned
    Currently wearing: Oligarch by Roja Dove

Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Je Suis Un Homme

An assured masculine but with an 'edge' like all of ELdO's have

Based on what you have listed in your wardrobe, I recommend:
    - Terre de Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver - Hermes
    - Iris Rebelle, Vetiver Fatale by Atelier Colognes
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"

I guess it's time to create a new male fragrance category. Most scents out there touch at least one of the bases mentioned in the OP. But not always. There are several out there that stand on their own and don't fall into a stereotypical category.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir or Dunhill Icon, perhaps?
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Damn, it sounds like what you're describing you want is the same as what you don't want, lol
    Your Eau Savage Parfum is a good choice! Keep that going, maybe also try Dior Homme, Armani Aqua Di Gio Profumo?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren