Code of Conduct

Thread: Taif Rose

Default Taif Rose

I know we have some discussions going about best Rose/Oud combos, but what do people like for a specifically Taif Rose perfume? I was trying to decide between the new Sultan Pasha Taif Rose and Malik al Taif by Areej le Dore... then I read that Thirty Three from Ex Idolo has Taif. Are there many western houses that have Taif?

Do you have a favorite Taif Rose fragrance? And more to the point, do you rate Taif as being significantly distinct from other roses to warrant the price tag? Very interested to see what people think on this topic.

I’ve typed Taif way too many times, now.
    Currently wearing: MAAI by Bogue Profumo

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Taif Rose

2008 David Yurman Extrait de Parfum, David Yurman (a Limited Edition rose)

This thing could be had for an ok price, if I remember. It's modern smelling. It's pretty crazy stuff. Not exactly for me, but maybe because I'm just not up for it.

I get you Bavard. I am often hot & cold on rose. I’ve only really started liking it since getting into attars(thanks to basenotes).

Basenotes Plus

I don't think so, but I'm not a big rose guy in general.

Lancome has Tresor in Love, a fruity take on Taif Rose.

Guerlain has some in Le Petite Robe Noire, but under all that cherry-almond-berry-licorice sweetness.

Ormonde Jayne has Ta'if a more grown-up use of Taif Rose than the other two I've mentioned, and far more expensive of course.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Taif rose has a very different aroma than "conventional" rose notes. Conventional rose notes--unless they're *very* natural and a bit dewy--tend to smell irritatingly thick and/or plastic-y to my nose (this is one of the reasons I don't quite get along with Calligraphy Rose). Taif rose has a very different quality, depending on presentation, and it tends to read as more masculine to me.

The niche Taif rose stuff is obviously of a whole different caliber, but for a more affordable designer fragrance, I'll mention the fragrance I'm wearing today: Bvlgari Man Black Orient. It's an interesting take on the Taif rose/oud combo that strips back the typical opulence and denseness of such scents and goes for a more focused, almost minimalist interpretation of the theme, uniting it with some cardamom, leather, and (subdued) rum. The oud note here is a very smooth, well-behaved synthoud. My wife wears this one a lot, too.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Thanks brooks! I’ll check that out!

I have to get a sniff of that Ormonde Jayne!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Do you have a favorite Taif Rose fragrance?
    Taif Roses by Montale
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

my favorite:

I was going to suggest the RD Fortnum Mason Taif Aoud as well.

I know we have some discussions going about best Rose/Oud combos, but what do people like for a specifically Taif Rose perfume? I was trying to decide between the new Sultan Pasha Taif Rose and Malik al Taif by Areej le Dore... then I read that Thirty Three from Ex Idolo has Taif. Are there many western houses that have Taif?

Do you have a favorite Taif Rose fragrance? And more to the point, do you rate Taif as being significantly distinct from other roses to warrant the price tag? Very interested to see what people think on this topic.

I’ve typed Taif way too many times, now.
    Perris Monte Carlo do a Taif Rose which is available in EdP and Extrait.

Totally different rose compared to other more floral scents and not one with oud if I recall correctly. The Perris seems more doused with incense and powder. It also seems to be one of a few scents that do the 'now you smell me, now you do not' Hoodini trick.

Worth a try I think.

Basenotes Plus

Malik al Taif is a masterpiece.

So is Juriah by Sultan Pasha.

These are both rich in Taif rose (and others.)

There is nothing like them because they use almost entirely natural ingredients which are very, very expensive.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Rose de Taif by Perris Monte Carlo is pretty decent for this style, but lacks oud.
    oh look, I have a signature

Very cool, there are a bunch in here that I’ve never even heard of. Luckyscent sample service, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Malik al Taif is a masterpiece.

So is Juriah by Sultan Pasha.

These are both rich in Taif rose (and others.)

There is nothing like them because they use almost entirely natural ingredients which are very, very expensive.
    Do you have a preference for one? I think the SPA has a more Hardcore Oud but the ALD has that beautiful lemony rose and chocolate deer musk finish. I usually lean towards the latter but sometimes a good strong oud will grow on me.

Basenotes Plus

Juriah is superior. It is a better oud-forward blend.

But I love both.

To the extent you can find it, my favorite Ta'if aoud frag come across so far is Homage Attar by Amouage. Malik Al Taif is pretty good. The aldehydes in Roja's Ta'if aoud was way too distracting for me and interfered with my ability to enjoy the Taif rose

Loving especially the Guerlain take on this note.

In addition, one particular fragrance enthusiast friend with far more experience in terms of scents than myself identified a hint of Taif Rose in two other fragrances, this time powerhouse and vintage do personally own and enjoy to wear from time to time: Lancetti Uomo and its Concentree version/flanker/counterpart.

JK DeLapp's RisingPhoenixPerfume: T'aif Rose Attar is one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    JK DeLapp's RisingPhoenixPerfume: T'aif Rose Attar is one of my favorites!
    I just got a small sample of Musk Rose and I love it so so so much. I’d love to see what he does with a Taif.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Juriah is superior. It is a better oud-forward blend.

But I love both.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Loving especially the Guerlain take on this note.

In addition, one particular fragrance enthusiast friend with far more experience in terms of scents than myself identified a hint of Taif Rose in two other fragrances, this time powerhouse and vintage do personally own and enjoy to wear from time to time: Lancetti Uomo and its Concentree version/flanker/counterpart.
    Le Petite Robe Noir was mentioned earlier... is that the Guerlain you’re referencing or are there others?

Le Petite Robe Noir was mentioned earlier... is that the Guerlain you’re referencing or are there others?

To certain extents, both this one and certain Taif rose aspects in more noticeably unisex/male offerings like Habit Rouge, Guerlain Homme Intense (including at least one limited edition flanker of this) and/or Songe d'un Bois d'Ete.
    While both Taif rose and Guerlain experts and purists may say that this note is either definitely absent from or at best minimal in these scents, the rendition of male/unisex appropriate rose notes in each are rendered so credibly, they might even equal certain more noticeable and more undeniable, definitive scents built around this note-sometimes even with greater complexity and smoothness.

As a certain/approximate niche equivalent, Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady (actually quite unisex) can provide a quite credible and nuanced rose notes rendition, possibly even including Taif ones.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 20th July 2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Additions, completions etc.

I just got a small sample of Musk Rose and I love it so so so much. I’d love to see what he does with a Taif.
    A bit hesitant to bring this up, but I just found a sample of T’aif Rose Otto that JK included in one of my orders. Now this is truly an amazing T’aif Rose with a highly distinctively citrus quality that opens to my nose, as orange and rose. The price per gram is what makes me hesitant, but wow, is it nice!

Basenotes Plus

I’d love to try Rising Phoenix T’aif Rose. I will at some point. T’aif is super expensive, so this is totally understandable that it costs an arm and a leg.

Basenotes Institution

I have to get a sniff of that Ormonde Jayne!
    Yes you do. It's a very well done fragrance.

Also try A.maze by People of the Labyrinths. No one talks about this anymore but when it came out we all went gaga over it here on BN. There's an EdP and a Parfum. Both are fantastic.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

This thread has been so great. Thanks for all the tips!

Basenotes Plus

Another to look at would be Abdul Samad al Qurashi’s Excellent al Taif Rose and their First Rate Bridal Rose. I have the Excellent and it is pretty amazing, lasts hours and has multiple phases of evolution. They’re also having a sale right now.