Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Do you prefer having one signature fragrance or having a small collection to choose from?

Hello to everyone!

I only started wearing perfumes a few weeks ago and I absolutely fell in love with working with (different) scents!

I'm now considering finding a signature fragrance for me so people can associate me with the scent. Especially one particular person in my life But I'm not sure if I should really do that. Many perfumes seem to suit certain situations better than other situations. Like wearing them for the day or a date night etc. Having more than one doesn't have that much of an impact (smelling it and thinking "wow that's [insert name here]!!") when it comes to associating with a certain scent though. So what do you prefer?

I have exactly 5 perfums I love to wear:

La vie est belle (Lancome)

La nuit trésor (Lancome)

Light blue (D&G)

Hypnotic Poison (Dior)

Mon Guerlain (Guerlain)

What would you pick as a signature fragrance, if any?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Do you prefer having one signature fragrance or having a small collection to choose from?

Welcome to you Mnemoja! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes. I personally prefer a large collection to choose from.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Do you prefer having one signature fragrance or having a small collection to choose from?

Thank you for welcoming me and also thanks for sharing your opinion! It really helps a lot

Collection - I can’t see only wearing one fragrance especially after wearing ones I enjoy. I’d grow bored quick with the same fragrance everyday I’ve experienced that with a few even with having a collection. I also enjoy having a variety of fragrances to wear for different occasions and weather etc.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

POLO is my signature, as I wear it about 4 or 5 times a week. But I like to have a variety so I can change things up from time to time.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I think you can have a different signature scent for each season or occasion. It also depends on your finances. Personally, I try to keep a small collection, because having too many choices can cause fatigue.

Hello Mnemoja and welcome to Basenotes! I hope you will have fun here, at least I do and I learned a lot reading various threads.

I also thought (and sometimes still do) that the idea of having one signature fragrance is really nice, but then I saw how hard it is to choose just one scent that would be fitting for all the various occasions. I was quite close to thinking about sticking just to one favourite (it was Black Opium then), but ditched the idea as not only I live in a country with all 4 seasons (okay, almost all of them rainy, but still), but I felt that just one fragrance is not enough to convey my moods and likes and preferences - okay, I might like that sweet and loud and youthful scent of slightly boozy coffee over vanilla and patchouli, but I also love fresh juicy grapefruit and citrusy scents, spicy and resinous scents, musky and creamy scents, woody scents, something that smells of leather & tobacco or of fresh sour berries or any combination of these and they all are "me" in some way... You get the idea. I don't really get bored of my favourites, but I feel it's really nice to switch it up and to have an ability to choose a right scent for the right occasion.

If you had to choose one scent out of your favourites, I feel like Mon Guerlain would be the most versatile out of the bunch as it's lovely and elegant enough for everyday and has some flirty and sensual side for occasions, not too fleeting in winter and not too cloying in summer, youthful enough and also mature enough, but do you want to limit yourself to just this scent and forget your shrill lemony and woody Light Blue that is great either for work or beach or when you need some energy, joyful, carefree, sweet and loud La vie est belle to show off your good girl and happy go lucky side, sensual La nuit tresor for evenings out or your ultimate femme fatale weapon Hypnotic Poison that would oh so beautifully caress you in winter?

If I had to choose just one scent now, I would have some serious thinking to do, as it should be not only my beloved fragrance, but also good for both summer and winter, day and night, work, evenings out, dates, trips, long walks and cozy evenings at home. Out of my wardrobe, probably Narciso Rodriguez For Her is the closest to ticking all of the boxes, but I would be very sad panda if I was left without a fresh citrus scent or a cozy gourmand or a spicy oriental. The right scent for the right mood can be very soothing, uplifting or otherwise aromatherapic.

Welcome!

Most people here on Basenotes are collectors, so I bet most people, including myself, would prefer to have a large set to choose from.

That said, nothing wrong with having a signature scent. Among the group you mention, my favorite would be Hypnotic poison, which is perhaps the more unique of the group. But really, the person who should choose is rather that one particular person.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

It is difficult to have , let say, one only signature shirt. If I wear that shirt both night and day, both at work , and going out, or at special events or casual, or at a ballgame or at a date, then it will quickly look tiring on me and will look as if I dont have anything else I own for variety.
    But a signature style , let say shirts of different seasons and occasions but from a certain brand house, or a particular type of genre look, that is a signature style.

Same with fragrances. It is very difficult to just wear one for all types of outings: both night and day, hot and cold temps, casual and formal, work and play.
    I like the fact that those at my work who dont know me at play , dont know how I look or smell when at play. I have had one coworker long ago who saw me out on the evening say that I look totally different from how I look at work. I dont wear the same clothes I do at work at going out at night.

That is just me.

Even at the gym... I have a large wardrobe of clothes /activewear to don for the gym. It has become a place for expressing your style as well. Not just a place to sweat. I see some people who wear the same shorts every single time at the gym , I am sure they wash it regularly but I quickly associate that person as being a bit 'smelly'.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Most people here probably do not have a single "signature" fragrance. This is a place of great excess!

But I do try to keep my collection relatively tidy. My favorite fragrances are not always the most versatile and therefore not likely to qualify as my "signature" since they don't get frequent wear, so to determine my "signature scent" I probably need to look at what I wear most often. And, at least in 2019, that's L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Eau de Toilette.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

A signature collection, no matter how small,offering some extra variety in addition to a signature scent alone

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Hello Mnemoja and welcome to Basenotes! I hope you will have fun here, at least I do and I learned a lot reading various threads.

I also thought (and sometimes still do) that the idea of having one signature fragrance is really nice, but then I saw how hard it is to choose just one scent that would be fitting for all the various occasions.
    Truth! Like cycles of addiction(!) - I feel right now I'm on the verge of a purge/cessation of use of a variety of frags and am actively pursuing 'the one' Worth Pour Homme is coming close.

Wow, I'm in love with all of your answers! Thank you guys so much I never really thought about a signature collection where you can mix things up a little bit from time to time (seasons and situations or wearing one just a little more often than others like some of you suggested) up until this point! It's the perfect solution.
    And thank you especially, ClockworkAlice. You put so much thought into your answer <3 I love the way you described everything in such an aesthetic way. Also nailed those descriptions perfectly and put in to why I chose those fragrances!
    I also always wanted to try out Black Opium. Now I have the inspiration to actually do it because of you.

I can't put into words how happy I am now :') All of you are awesome!

Basenotes Plus

I sure wish I could find one. It’s been a long time since I had one that was worthy and I outgrew that one many years ago. It sure would save me $ and disappointment. I do enjoy having a small variety while continuing to chase that rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemoja View Post
    And thank you especially, ClockworkAlice. You put so much thought into your answer <3 I love the way you described everything in such an aesthetic way. Also nailed those descriptions perfectly and put in to why I chose those fragrances!
    I also always wanted to try out Black Opium. Now I have the inspiration to actually do it because of you.
    Awwww <3
    Do tell me how you liked it (or didn't!) when you actually get to try it!
    It's a sweet and sensual and a bit girly fragrance with a darker side and some boozy kick that's mostly best for evenings or colder days, and I guess you have that base already covered with La nuit tresor and Hypnotic Poison. Hypnotic Poison is probably a better/more interesting fragrance overall anyway, but I personally couldn't pull it off as easily as Black Opium.

Welcome! There is no wrong choice, that's for sure. It's all dependent on your personal taste...and your sense of self-control! I have very little and when I find something that I like, I usually seek out more. I love having a variety to choose from as many on this site do. I enjoy the process of discovery and having many diverse varieties. There are so many unique scents out there to explore. I am getting to a point where i feel like I have "too many" only because there are so many that I like, it can be difficult to pinpoint what I'm in the mood to wear. But that doesn't mean I'm stopping. :-)
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Welcome, and enjoy your time here.

I prefer a collection rather than one scent. Although, I do not care for an extremely large collection. I think I would be thoroughly satisfied at around 20 bottles.

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes, Mnemoja!

Like most others here, l find the idea of a signature fragrance impossible to live up to, because there are so many fragrances that l love. l could no more wear just one fragrance than l could wear the same outfit every day. Most people have a wardrobe of clothes for different seasons/moods/occasions, so why not a wardrobe of fragrances?

My comfort zone is somewhere between 50-60 bottles. Any more than that & l begin to find the range of choice overwhelming. But if l absolutely had to choose a signature, it would be Guerlain's Samsara, by far my most worn of all time.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Mediterraneo by Carthusia

Neither. I pick Option C: having a LARGE collection to choose from.

(Channeling Leonidas from 300): “This is BASENOTES!!!”
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Missing Oakmoss

Welcome, Mnemoja. I've never had a signature scent, as there are so many beautiful perfumes in existence that I couldn't bear to limit myself to one, or a few. I gravitate toward certain scent categories, but that's about the extent of it.

Welcome and hello. Personally, I couldn't imagine having one signature scent or just a few to choose from. Monogamy when it comes to perfumes is simply not for me. I do have some set favourites which I will wear with pleasure until I kick the bucket, but I like to have some variety to choose from depending on my moods. And there's always the chase for the next great thing, of course.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I think confining oneself to a signature fragrance is antithetical for most Basenoters, even though the concept is fairly common out in the general public. It has always struck me as too boring, and kind of like Steve Jobs and his signature black turtlenecks.

Now, define a “small” collection

i think id get bored wearing a wardrobe of less than 20-30 scents, although given an ultimatum maybe I could compromise with a dozen.

And yes, number 4. in my signature has been there long before you made this post

only you can really work out which scent would be best as your signature. Sample them all. Get samples from stores or from online sample/decant sellers to give yourself time to experience them thoroughly. You may find you don’t want to commit to just one and end up with a couple or all of them.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemoja View Post
    Hello to everyone!

I only started wearing perfumes a few weeks ago and I absolutely fell in love with working with (different) scents!

I'm now considering finding a signature fragrance for me so people can associate me with the scent. Especially one particular person in my life But I'm not sure if I should really do that. Many perfumes seem to suit certain situations better than other situations. Like wearing them for the day or a date night etc. Having more than one doesn't have that much of an impact (smelling it and thinking "wow that's [insert name here]!!") when it comes to associating with a certain scent though. So what do you prefer?

I have exactly 5 perfums I love to wear:

La vie est belle (Lancome)

La nuit trésor (Lancome)

Light blue (D&G)

Hypnotic Poison (Dior)

Mon Guerlain (Guerlain)

What would you pick as a signature fragrance, if any?
    There's no wrong way. I could be fine with a five-bottle collection. I'm crazy into perfume, though, so a massive 25-bottle collection is more my ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Now, define a “small” collection
    i think id get bored wearing a wardrobe of less than 20-30 scents, although given an ultimatum maybe I could compromise with a dozen.
    That's a good point, because what everyone thinks what's a "small" collection is different.
    To me, "small collection" is something between 3–9 favourite fragrances. 10–30 I'd consider medium, and anything over 30 signals some serious interest in fragrances. Anything over 100 looks like either a serious collector hobby or hoarding problem to me - quite a lot of people here are into collecting their favourite scents or stuff from favourite houses or time periods, some like to have classic fragrances on their shelf for reference, etc.
    My collection is a bit over 20 including mini bottles and excluding some stuff I don't wear but still keep, and my family and friends think I have A LOT. Of course I want more, but honestly I don't need more. If you're constantly testing, trying out new stuff or searching for "the one", you're bound to find more stuff you'd like to have and your collection might get out of proportion easily unless you restrict yourself to buying only stuff you truly LOVE instead of merely LIKE or ENJOY - I'm also guilty of this, especially with some mini bottle or cheap and discounted purchases, because "why not". It's just like shoes, bags, earrings, ties or any other accessory - it's great to have some variety, but it's generally better to have less but great ones that suit you perfectly instead of a full wardrobe of randoms. (Though perfume has much more emotional impact to its wearer than some bag or tie, so it's not quite the same!)
    But it all comes down to perception. Some people here have hundreds of fragrances and still think their collections are rather small!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Most of us here are mostly promiscuous.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Aqua Amara by Bulgari

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I live in a country with all 4 seasons (okay, almost all of them rainy, but still)
    Wow, would love to live where you live. I love rains!
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Aqua Amara by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Wow, would love to live where you live. I love rains!
    My country's name in Lithuanian vaguely translates into "Rainland".
    But I think our friends from British Isles get even more rain, though their climate is much milder than our cold winters, hot summers and rain and mud inbetween.

Basenotes Plus

I prefer having a (large) signature wardrobe

Would rather have few fragrances that I truly love than a large collection. However, I am still new to this hobby, so we shall see how big my collection is say a decade from now.

I think most people on Basenotes would struggle to have one signature fragrance, my sweet spot is between 15-20 fragrances, I think that any more than that is pointless because you'll never be able to get through them all (especially 100ml bottles), even rotating one each day, unless you have small amounts. Roja Dove's signature fragrance is Haute Luxe, it is the only thing that he ever wears. I thought about having one signature fragrance, but I could not do it, if I did it would have to be something very, very special. Certain fragrances are just perfect for certain occasions and environments so it's good to have different options.
    Currently wearing: Liwa by AJ Arabia