Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Blind-buy advice for my female partner based on her character

Hi,

I want to buy a scent for my female partner but she has never worn perfumes and it's very hard to buy them where we live.
    So we have to "Blind Buy" and ask a friend to bring us back some from the USA.

I was looking at the most popular female scents listed here and saw that Shalimar is one, but I think she would find a very sensual and sexual scent over-powering, in the same way I used to want to wear Giorgio Beverly Hills in the 80's, but felt it just didn't suit who I was.

She is a highly intelligent, shy, introverted, modest, ironic, beautiful Russian woman, a talented artist, same age as me ( 50) . She spends most of her time reading, sketching, painting and doing pottery.

Are there subtle, complex scents which could a personality like hers? I once loved White Linen on a woman, many years ago, and I think it would suit her, but I would be afraid of choosing a scent which I so strongly associate with another person. Are there scents of a similar kind which you could recommend?

I appreciate any help or advice,
    Joe.

Default Re: Blind-buy advice for my female partner based on her character

Rive Gauche has some similarities to White Linen.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Blog Entries

Creed Love in White
    lvoire de Balmain
    Noa by Cacharel
    Narciso EDP (in the white cube bottle)

Good luck in your search, & do report back on what you find!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Ashoka by Neela Vermeire

Freed from BN Institution

I would recommend taking a look at Chanel Gardenia. If she's open to white florals this is a good one to consider.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

I recommend that you get something generally pleasant and not too niche, since she has never really worn perfume. Blind buys can be a gamble. One that comes to my mind that is feminine, safe and smells great is Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel. I think that you can't really go wrong with this one, as it is hard to dislike.

Basenotes Plus

Don't buy her anything.

Go shopping with her instead, and try samples first. Let her choose. Men think they should buy perfume for women. Would you buy underwear for her also?
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

deleted
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Welcome!

While with the disclaimer that it is just a very incomplete and perfectible fragrance recommendation, could consider at the very least testing (even if blind buying seems the main option for now), before a potential future buy inspired by her personality, especially the following ones in no particular order:

- Chanel No. 19 and/or Cristalle
    - Miss Dior and/or Escale a Portofino
    - several fragrances l'Erbolario fragrances in EDP strength, including but not limited to Accordo Arancio, Frescaessenza, Regine dei Prati, Camelia and/or Iris
    - l'Occitane Herbae

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Creed Love in White
    Asked my granddaughter who agreed this would be a nice one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

thank you each and every one for your replies, which I will print and peruse over the next few days.
    Of course I would prefer her to " go shopping with her" instead, but in Nicaragua it is hard to find clean running water and electricity, never mind niche (or even mainstream) perfumes. In our town we have a shop which sells cheap copies of famous brands and mixes them in a little bottle in the shop. Some of them smell vaguely similar but none are the real scent. We are isolated here in terms of choice, which is why I have to settle for my neighbour bringing us back a bottle of something when he flies to the States.
    In fact we are so isolated that I am smiling as I write that even the bottle of Old Spice EDT in our local Supermarket started to look "Niche" and very desirable, it's funny how when you have no choices, any choice can seem like a Godsend. ( I won't hide it, I am actually fond of Old Spice, it reminds me of my Dad. )

Masha is in no hurry, she finds my interest in perfumes a bit strange, but this is partly because she grew up in Moscow in the 80's and there was no money ( and no perfumes) apart from some very industrial Soviet brands.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. If we are lucky with the first choice, there's nothing stopping us buying more of the others later to add to her collection.

Joe

and I am sorry, I wanted to like your posts, but couldn't see a way to do so.

as for the underwear question - absolutely I would.

Best of luck, and I hope both you and she enjoy whichever perfume you decide upon.

I don't believe there is a way to like people's posts.

Let us know what you get for your girl, please.

I will do, absolutely...and thanks again, really great website .

Consider trying Goutal Un Matin d'Orage. One of the loveliest, most elegant floral perfumes I've encountered.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Thank you.

I managed to get some information from Masha which might help make the choice - She likes Jasmine. What are the best Jasmine based perfumes out there?

She also mentioned "the smell of a fresh morning". :-)

I can't afford Creed perfumes yet. (maybe later).

If she likes the smell of a fresh morning, I suggest Kurkdjian's Petit Matin.

Many fragrances marketed for women are jasmine-prominent. My favorite is A La Nuit by Serge Lutens. Not so jasmine-prominent but clearly evident is Guerlain's Samsara, to my mind a genius combination of jasmine and sandalwood.

Smell of a fresh morning + jasmine?

The Pour Une Ete by L’Artisan Parfumeur

That might be hard for your friend to find, though; it’s niche.

Things that might be easier for your friend to find at a US department store or Sephora store:

-Alien or Alien Eau Sublime
    -Acqua di Gioia by Armani
    -Pure Poison by Christian Dior
    -Chance Eau Fraiche by Chanel (green one)
    -Replica Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela (lily of the valley, not jasmine, but similar style)
    -Fleur de Portofino by Tom Ford
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

many thanks cologne connoisseur and Kotori, I need to spend some time thinking, lots of really good choices in this thread.

I thought Samsara, now I'm not sure. )))
    Last edited by Joe Kilroy; 21st July 2019 at 05:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Consider trying Goutal Un Matin d'Orage. One of the loveliest, most elegant floral perfumes I've encountered.
    This one is exactly the smell of a "fresh morning".

For jasmine, l recommend Montale's Jasmin Full.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Ashoka by Neela Vermeire

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    thank you each and every one for your replies, which I will print and peruse over the next few days.
    Of course I would prefer her to " go shopping with her" instead, but in Nicaragua it is hard to find clean running water and electricity, never mind niche (or even mainstream) perfumes. In our town we have a shop which sells cheap copies of famous brands and mixes them in a little bottle in the shop. Some of them smell vaguely similar but none are the real scent. We are isolated here in terms of choice, which is why I have to settle for my neighbour bringing us back a bottle of something when he flies to the States.
    In fact we are so isolated that I am smiling as I write that even the bottle of Old Spice EDT in our local Supermarket started to look "Niche" and very desirable, it's funny how when you have no choices, any choice can seem like a Godsend. ( I won't hide it, I am actually fond of Old Spice, it reminds me of my Dad. )

Masha is in no hurry, she finds my interest in perfumes a bit strange, but this is partly because she grew up in Moscow in the 80's and there was no money ( and no perfumes) apart from some very industrial Soviet brands.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. If we are lucky with the first choice, there's nothing stopping us buying more of the others later to add to her collection.

Joe
    Ah, I see.

If shopping is not possible, my first thought based on you description was something by Guerlain, perhaps Chamade. Understated and classic, an aldyhylic floral in the style of Chanel No. 5 but more formal. The extrait is too expensive, but the current edp is quite good. The edt lacks the necessary oomph to be satisfying. Vintage prices for this one are still quite reasonable too. I'd recommend the edp if buying online.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Thanks , I wish she / we could smell all these perfumes. I usually go by the Directory and check comments and ratings, and I see that Un Matin d'Orage divides people into two camps who seem to either love or hate it. At the moment, the two choices that seem to be strongest are between Samsara and Chamade.
    ( By the way, I have always loved Guerlain fragrances for women, such class and elegance. But as for their men's fragrances, I had two opposite experiences - Once in Moscow I smelled something so amazing on a man I asked him and his wife what it was and she said it was 'L' Intense" . Oh how I wanted to replicate that smell on myself, to smell as good as he did, to wear that perfume every day, but it goes to show how important skin chemistry is in all this, it just never worked on me. All I got was a kind of oppressive cocoa. Maybe we just have to accept that some scents will like us and some won't, despite how amazing they smell on others.
    The only other Guerlain for men I tried was Habit Rouge and while I know that all Guerlain is sacred here, to me it smelled like an old lady's handbag. )

many thanks cologne connoisseur and Kotori, I need to spend some time thinking, lots of really good choices in this thread.

I thought Samsara, now I'm not sure. )))
    I would say that Samsara is as much about the warm, radiant sandalwood entertwined with jasmine. If sheer and lighter is best, Jo Malone Honeysuckle & Jasmine.

Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle is another jasmine, rich and overtly floral.

thank you Couronne de Violette, the Sandalwood part drew a positive response.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Creed Love in White

Narciso EDP (in the white cube bottle)
    Love both of these!
    Something something....something....
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Don't buy her anything.

Go shopping with her instead, and try samples first. Let her choose. Men think they should buy perfume for women. Would you buy underwear for her also?
    Lol Couldn't agree more. None of the perfume given me as gifts ever reflected my personality. They were nice, expensive, but in 90% of cases they were something I would never get myself, in 10% - something I would define as "so-so". I can't think of 1 perfume that was just "wow".

Being from ex-Soviet area myself, I would say the combination of words "French perfume" sounds magical to the generation aged 60-70, as it was the symbol of a free luxurious life abroad. My mom is 70, whenever I get a perfume, her first question is :"Is it French?", if it's not, she loses interest in it immediately, if it's really great and she loves it, she'd act surprised it's not French and it is actually good. I used to giggle about it. I tried explaining it's all about huge international companies and all, but I don't think I can ever break that "French perfume" myth. And maybe I shouldn't.

I'm not so sure about the generation aged 50. Russian perfume users are definitely a lot more picky than international ones (try comparing reviews on fragrantica .ru and .com), they want a lot more variety due to the years they were deprived of all choices. Myself included. I cannot buy just one perfume or bag, it has to be a hundred.

I would say, get a bunch of decants or samples and let HER decide what SHE likes.
    I'm testing Amouage Epic and Lyric today, I may be wrong, but I'd say include Amouage Lyric in those decants. IMHO.

as for the underwear question - absolutely I would.
    +1. Probably bought a similar amount of perfume and underwear so far. In both situations it's usually best to consult the person who shall wear it.

Has your partner tried Old Spice? It was originally created for women

Dependent

From first hand experience, rather than buying her a single fragrance, get her a sample pack where she may love multiple ones. I'd recommend something like this if within the price range.
    https://www.franciskurkdjian.com/fra...e-for-her.html MFK scents are really fantastic, and that set gives you a good amount of juice.
    Le Labo also offers a 17 scent set, if she likes one she can go on the site to redeem a 50ml bottle.
    https://www.lelabofragrances.com/dis...544.html?size=

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

So Maria was a Muscovite and never wore perfume? Interesting, now that I think about it, I usually smell perfume on younger women here in the Russian capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    -Replica Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela (lily of the valley, not jasmine, but similar style)
    This one is pretty nice. If you're on a budget, or would like a second cheap bottle to wear together, there's always C.K. One.

I have female friends in Russia who are truly kind, cultured, and interesting, so I'm sure that Maria is a delightful lady. I wish you and your dear Maria happiness!