Code of Conduct

Default Can you guys tell if this is a counterfeit BR540?

I've never been someone who's been super into fragrances until recently. I smelled BR540 off a customer at my workplace and had to get it! I'm low on cash so I decided to go the cheap route and get BR40 edp off ebay for about 160. I know not a wise choice, but honestly I was too eager, I did no research. Now upon getting it, to me it smells like the real deal. But I don't know if it's authentic now that I've done some snooping around online. Now I sprayed this on myself the other day. And it stayed in for about 2 hrs I was in doors however I went for a walk on a very windy day and it was gone within 5 hrs. Which I don't know what to say to that. Honeslty from my own observations, I'm quick to say this is a fake. But withthout further ado here are some pictures of what I have. Thanks guys!

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: Can you guys tell if this is a counterfeit BR540?

I haven't heard this one being faked before.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

There are quite a number of fakes of this and the Extrait version as well, especially on eBay. It is a fragrance that causes anosmia, but it should last well over 12 hours. Try testing it side by side on paper and skin with a genuine bottle from the store.

- - - Updated - - -

The bottle looks okay though. I checked my original MFK's, the inner tube for the atomiser should curve right down to the bottom corner. Also, if you remove the atomiser head and look at the mechanism, MFK have a unique design and mechanism.

It was very difficult to get this on the camera since it wouldn't pick it up. But you can see that it does go slightly to a corner. As for mechanism. This is what I saw

Quote Originally Posted by allenisfine View Post
    It was very difficult to get this on the camera since it wouldn't pick it up. But you can see that it does go slightly to a corner. As for mechanism. This is what I saw

This does not resemble the MFK's in my collection. The atomiser tube should go right down into one of the corners, not slightly. The head under the atomiser looks like it has been put on upside-down and there should be a clear plastic covering on the inner and outer rings.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed that the thickness of the glass at the bottom and sides is too thick and not the standard shape.

Ahhh so someone did me dirty, I'm going to try to contact ebay and get my money back, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    This does not resemble the MFK's in my collection. The atomiser tube should go right down into one of the corners, not slightly. The head under the atomiser looks like it has been put on upside-down and there should be a clear plastic covering on the inner and outer rings.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed that the thickness of the glass at the bottom and sides is too thick and not the standard shape.
    Final verdict, you would say this is a fake right? I'm holding hope it's now just because it'll be a pain to to get this resolved

having owned 2 bottles, looks legit to me

Having a difficult time deciding what to do here don't want to falsely accuse of a seller of selling counterfeits. It is at a ridiculously low price of 160 as I said

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by allenisfine View Post
    Having a difficult time deciding what to do here don't want to falsely accuse of a seller of selling counterfeits. It is at a ridiculously low price of 160 as I said

Ultimately you need to do whatever will put your mind at ease, a decision you can live with and one that will not cause you any regrets. I wish you the best whatever you decide.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Ultimately you need to do whatever will put your mind at ease, a decision you can live with and one that will not cause you any regrets. I wish you the best whatever you decide.
    Thanks I appreciate it! And everyone else that contributed to the thread! Thanks guys! I'll update with what I end up doing

Hello! If anybody reads this! So I went to Neiman Marcus at 34st and the people there were wonderful enough to help me. And determined I had either a dummy or a counterfeit. So I went to the orginal buyer, reported him, and asked for a refund, which he accepted! So once I send him back the fragrance, I'll just get myself the real fragrance at Neiman Marcus.
    Thanks again guys!

Yeah, the shape of the bottle and the atomiser were wrong. It's a good attempt though, even had a few BNers duped. Glad it got sorted for you.

BTW, you can get 6 samples directly from MFK in France for €14 including shipping. You can order them up to 4 times using the same email within in a year.

a quarter million, tops

pretty impressive fake
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I agree with this. While not having ever purchased a counterfeit fragrance, I have received other counterfeit luxury goods in the realm of fashion. I was unable to wear them and live with myself. In the case that many people on this thread believe that it's a well-made fake, I would return it, personally. But you should make whatever decision you think is best.

LittleBunnyFouFou

This is just a remark as to the pricing causing suspicion. If you buy directly from MFK online (international, not U.S. which redirects to overpriced one NM) BR 540 edp is currently 195 euro including excellent Colissimo shipping. And the conversion rate has risen since I purchased my last bottles of MFK at which time APLS for example was 160ish USD while being in the high 200s at our US department store. Some people - admittedly a smaller percentage but still - sell perfumes they're not going to use on eBay for enough to not be giving it away but without an interest in turning a big profit. (I know because I'm one of those doofuses.) I need to clear some of my cache before I leave this Earth and my family is stuck trying to do it and so I list things for prices that I think are enough, and fair. Its sort of ironic and sad to know that by not gouging someone for something that someone else may love but is sitting wrapped in a closet with me, my bottles automatically go into "probably fake" category for many perfume seekers.

*Note: I have no dog in this, dunno seller and am just saying, 160 for a BR 540 edp is not actually giving it away or unbelievably low. And all you U.S. MFK fans should really consider going to the franciskurkdjian.com international online store. Their customer service is impeccable on top of everything else. =)

Quote Originally Posted by theladymay View Post
    This is just a remark as to the pricing causing suspicion. If you buy directly from MFK online (international, not U.S. which redirects to overpriced one NM) BR 540 edp is currently 195 euro including excellent Colissimo shipping. And the conversion rate has risen since I purchased my last bottles of MFK at which time APLS for example was 160ish USD while being in the high 200s at our US department store. Some people - admittedly a smaller percentage but still - sell perfumes they're not going to use on eBay for enough to not be giving it away but without an interest in turning a big profit. (I know because I'm one of those doofuses.) I need to clear some of my cache before I leave this Earth and my family is stuck trying to do it and so I list things for prices that I think are enough, and fair. Its sort of ironic and sad to know that by not gouging someone for something that someone else may love but is sitting wrapped in a closet with me, my bottles automatically go into "probably fake" category for many perfume seekers.
    I think this is reasonable...but not in an instance where someone is selling multiples of the same bottle.

The fact he's taken it in to the store, and compared side by side, is often telling. But so is the fact that the seller isn't selling 10 different high end/niche scents for a loss. It's the fact they're likely (presumably?) selling multiples of each.

Hello guys! Good news! So I reported the seller! And asked for a refund on account of it being a counterfeit! I was nervous sending back the fragrance since I had opened it. But I did. And the seller did return my money! So it worked out in the end! And I learned my lesson to stay away from any fragrances selling for a price that's too good to be true. Now It appears that BR540 is being counterfeited in Russia. So just stay away from any fragrance sellers based in Russia!