Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default How to best evaluate if a fragrance works for you?

I have been following the suggestions offered by seasoned fragrance aficionados and instead of spending $100,200, 300 + on a bottle of XYZ perfume based on a whiff at the counter.
    Have ordered samples of fragrances that I have sniffed at a store.
    How do I best use these samples to evaluate which are worth purchasing.
    How much to apply?
    Where on my body?
    What should I look for?
    Can you evaluate two fragrances at the same time? One on each wrist?
    Is it best to purchase 1.7 versus 3.3 oz. although more per oz. on first bottle of a new fragrance to assure long term like/ dislike?
    Any additional advise and suggestions for this novice would be appreciated.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Default Re: How to best evaluate if a fragrance works for you?

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis66 View Post
    I do that all the time.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis66 View Post

Any additional advise and suggestions for this novice would be appreciated.
    Its usually easier to assess one at a time becasue you won’t get any overlap of different scents. You might find that a couple of hours after first spraying you get nice wafts that you like and find yourself wondering ‘what is that gorgeous smell’ and only realise its that fragrance afterward because the notes as it dries down might not resemble the opening of the fragrance.

After you’ve been doing this for some time and your wrists, back of hands, forearms, biceps are all taken you’ll be looking for arm space to squeeze another spray of fragrance number 11 (whilst sampling)
    Last edited by Sheik Yerbouti; 20th July 2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: clarity
    Currently wearing: l by Arquiste

Missing Oakmoss

You'll get lots of different answers to your questions, and probably end up with even more questions - because people need to arrive at their own approaches, based on lifestyle, budget, trial and error. Search on the phrase "dab or spray" and see what comes up in that one category, alone! Some of us are light sprayers on wrists, others spray heavily on chest and arms. Some of us have had good luck with blind buys, others think blind buying is folly. Some of us mix and match perfumes, others think the best approach is to wear one at a time. And mind you, these opinions come freighted with passion and conviction! So weigh people's opinions judiciously, be willing to experiment and make mistakes, and gradually work out what makes sense in your own life. And always remember that there are exceptions to every rule, including your own. Enjoy the journey.

Samples are a great way to go when determining what you like best. You'll save money in the long run by sampling, and you'll be able to discover the fragrances that speak to you. Everyone has their own method of application. A pretty common way is to spray both sides of your neck, your chest, and perhaps a wrist (dab it on the other wrist). That's 4 sprays in one wear which is a pretty average amount. See what works for you. Spray more or less as desired.

Personally, when sampling, I prefer to pick just one sample at a time and wear that as my "scent of the day." That allows me to fully experience one single fragrance at a time without the distraction of another. However, many people do wear two at a time and there is nothing wrong with this. It is a faster method of comparing. Spray one on your left wrist, and spray another on your right wrist. Sniff throughout the day as needed.

Above all else, do whatever works for you and whatever you enjoy the most.