Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Acqua De Parma - Colonia

Absolutely love the fragrance of freshly applied ADP Colonia........... the downside is that initial burst does not last very long for me to enjoy.
    Are there alternative fragrances to consider that will give me that initial pleasure of ADP Colonia but last longer.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Acqua De Parma - Colonia

Try Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

User of Toilet Water

I assume it's the citruses in the initial blast that you enjoy. If so, I don't think you can really expect it to last long. I recommend liberally spraying on clothes though.

The nature of citrus is that it does not last. It follows that any citrus claimed to be long lasting usually is the base notes that actually last. You have to accept citrus for what it is. It is like telling Diana you love her and she is perfect, only if she would change this and that about herself; such mindset only breeds resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

Seconded, plus also adding the Intensa and Essenza flankers of Colonia

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks..... so if I understand correctly as a general rule any citrus base fragrance including a perfume will not give 4+ hrs of longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis66 View Post
    Thanks..... so if I understand correctly as a general rule any citrus base fragrance including a perfume will not give 4+ hrs of longevity?
    Usually if a citrus-based fragrance goes beyond that, it's using other notes to sustain itself.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Chanel Allure Sport Cologne - It's also heavy on the citruses and performs really well especially for a citrus-based frag.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

+1 Assoluta is excellent, eventually I'll pick up a bottle for myself.

Just bought Colonia and Assoluta from a store that has old batches. They even have the old bottle of Fico di Aamalfi which I am very tempted to buy.

And, I agree, Assoluta lasts so much more and projects so much more... but to me, they arent that close. Opening, and drydown, I like Colonia more, but the mid of Assoluta is better. I just dont like how Assoluta dries down to powldery scent.

edit: What do you guys think... should I go ahead and buy old bottle Fico di Amalfi? So many claim that the old bottle lasts quite a bit longer.

Freed from BN Institution

this
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Yes more or less.

There are some citrus scents that last a long time, for example Mancera's Lemon Line. The citrus notes last a long time. However, it's not exactly your Acqua di Parma style of citrus notes, the Mancera has more synthetic citrus notes that persist. I don't know how they do it, and it doesn't smell bad at all, actually quite good (depending on your taste), but it's not the natural style of citrus notes found in Acqua di Parmas (not saying Acqua di Parma is natural, I'm sure they employ a lot of synthetics). If you look at the most natural smelling citrus perfumes which are traditional eau de colognes (Nicolai's Cologne or Guerlain's Imperiale), they are all quite short lived. There are other citrus scents that have natural smelling citrus notes and extended dry downs, but these are the ones where the citrus notes do not last, and give way to dry downs of woods, musk, amber or some combination thereof.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Institution

You can also try using Colonia body products before and after the application of the Cologne - this will extend the scent.

I own Colonia Body Lotion and it's fantastic and smells great. I would think showering with the soap, or Shower Gel then putting on Lotion then applying Cologne would give you some heft.

Obviously its the more expensive option
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Carré Blanc by The Zoo

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the suggestion, I received the "Father's day gift set" which included a 5 ml. travel size Colonia as well as a body wash which I love, can't seem to find it on internet, can you recommenced a website where I can purchase Colonia shampoo and / or body wash?

If you don't mind to spend up for it, try Cologne Indelible by Frederic Malle.

Cheaper options: Colonia Essenza and Robert Piguet Cravache. The current version of both of these is equal parts citrus/lavender, but so is the current version of Colonia as well.