Code of Conduct

Default Question about Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EDT

I want to ask my friend to bring me back a bottle from the USA as there are no fragrance shops here, but does anyone know if this has been re-formulated or does it still smell like it did in the 80's? Thanks.
    Last edited by Joe Kilroy; 21st July 2019 at 02:47 AM. Reason: was too long-winded and had no replies
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

User of Toilet Water

Default Re: Question about Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EDT

It was first launched in 1973 and had a lot of oakmoss, so of course it's been reformulated.

This is Basenotes, so vintage is always better and reformulations are always bad. Expect to hear, "shell of its former self" type comments, but...

I have a 1986 bottle and recently tried the current and while the newer one is cleaner and soapier, it's still obviously and undeniably Paco Rabanne PH to me. It's definitely still worth having especially at discounter prices.

Is anything that has been around for 30 years stayed the same? Come on man this at least is common sense.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    I want to ask my friend to bring me back a bottle from the USA as there are no fragrance shops here, but does anyone know if this has been re-formulated or does it still smell like it did in the 80's? Thanks.
    Still worth getting IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

the vintage is a bit more musky and animalic. the new one is cleaner and soapier but also has the musky backbone. I prefer the new one to be honest. The difference is very slight indeed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Have tested its recent version, available in most local fragrance stores, not long ago and must admit to have liked the actual scent even if the performance seems decreased

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    It was first launched in 1973 and had a lot of oakmoss, so of course it's been reformulated.

This is Basenotes, so vintage is always better and reformulations are always bad. Expect to hear, "shell of its former self" type comments, but...

I have a 1986 bottle and recently tried the current and while the newer one is cleaner and soapier, it's still obviously and undeniably Paco Rabanne PH to me. It's definitely still worth having especially at discounter prices.
    You're starting to sound like me. You must be tired of the endless histrionics too. I've taken to the idea of "letting people enjoy what they have" instead of telling them they need some older or rarer batch to "truly have" a fragrance, but I'll still describe differences in vintages if asked though.

As for OP, yeah, it's still very much worth having if you enjoyed it before. Your location shows Nicaragua. Hope you're hanging in there. World news does not paint a pretty picture down there.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: HisStory by Avon

Thanks all for your replies, I wanted to start a thread on that topic by itself and might do later, as I'm very much in the conservative camp with perfumes and the school of "if it's not broken don't fix it", but of course you are right, many of the changes have been forced on companies because of changes in the law on ingredients , so we should think ourselves lucky that they still make it at all. It must have been hard for the makers of such an excellent perfume to have to change their recipe, a bit like asking a master artist like Rembraud to "edit" his painting or use less intense colours because some paints were not available. Like all great artists he would probably have said something about " great masters not blaming their tools" or something.
    I'm happy that your replies are positive and say that it is still recognizable and very much worth having.

The worst disappointment for me of this kind of thing was when I bought Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur 5 years ago, trying to re-capture what had been the scent of my youth.
    This had lost so much, it had lost what made it what it was, lost its heart and soul. Whatever compromises PC had had to make, had killed it. A familiar smell yes, but it had lost all its animalic sensuality. It was a kick in the teeth, especially as I'd ordered a 400ml flaccon. I gave it away.

Nicaragua had a bad year last year and is still not back to its normal self. But it still has its heart and soul and daily life is going on normally for now.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

I never experience Paco Rabanne Pour Homme in its prime. I did snag a reformulation from 2009 that smells great. Lasts all day, and smells fresh/clean, but has that old school muskiness to it.
    I sampled the newest formulation, the one with the cap, and the opening was completely different. It smelled simply of Irish Spring soap. Almost identical to the opening of Sung Pour Homme, which also smells simply like Irish Spring soap. The one I have opens up kind of swanky, and smells like something from the late 70s/early 80s. The new one...just smells like a bar of soap.

You may find a better knockoff if you prefer the Oakmoss of the original. For me this one is like Polo or Halston Z14, a threadbare shell of what it was.
    Currently wearing: Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud