Code of Conduct

Question Which Jacques Bogart should I blind buy?

I wanted to try a JB fragrance but can't find any to try near me so it looks like it's going to be a blind-buy.

I was thinking of the original One Man Show but I don't like 60s-70s citrus/pine offerings like Brut and Polo and from the descriptions I've read it seems like this one would be similar. They smell exactly like Pine-Sol to me and I can't stand them. Correct me if I'm wrong about OMS.

I like Kouros and unapologetically masculine fragrances like Bijan and Kouros so perhaps One Man Show Gold? Or Ruby? Not sure. I'd also like to try Oud which I never have so OMS Oud Edition is on my radar.

I'm in my mid 40s if that matters. Not a kid.

Ideas?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Which Jacques Bogart should I blind buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlorpy View Post
    I like Kouros and unapologetically masculine fragrances like Bijan and Kouros so perhaps One Man Show Gold? Or Ruby?
    These are good possibilities if you're set on the OMS line, or how about Furyo for something different from the house?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I wanted to try a JB fragrance but can't find any to try near me so it looks like it's going to be a blind-buy.

I was thinking of the original One Man Show but I don't like 60s-70s citrus/pine offerings like Brut and Polo and from the descriptions I've read it seems like this one would be similar. They smell exactly like Pine-Sol to me and I can't stand them. Correct me if I'm wrong about OMS.

I like Kouros and unapologetically masculine fragrances like Bijan and Kouros so perhaps One Man Show Gold? Or Ruby? Not sure. I'd also like to try Oud which I never have so OMS Oud Edition is on my radar.

I'm in my mid 40s if that matters. Not a kid.

Ideas?
    Read Darvant's review of CityTower. That's what got me started with Bogart.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    These are good possibilities if you're set on the OMS line, or how about Furyo for something different from the house?
    Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    Read Darvant's review of CityTower. That's what got me started with Bogart.
    Thanks, I will check those out as well!

EDIT:

Yikes, well, Citytower is almost impossible to find and Furyo is $100 a bottle :O

So far gonna have to stick with $12 OMSs.

Thanks, I will check those out as well!

EDIT:

Yikes, well, Citytower is almost impossible to find and Furyo is $100 a bottle :O

Heh. My problem with Bogart has historically been that new releases didn't make it to the New World for months if ever. I bought Oud and Ruby Red from India, and Force Majeure from Israel.

I love OMS and wear it as frequently as anything in my collection. I get a dry green vibe from it. The pine is not dominant by any means. To my mind, OMS has all the best qualities of a powerhouse, but isn't one at all really.

The oud is a very medicinal oud. I like that one too.

Ruby Red and Gold are not favorites of mine. Ruby Red has some similarities to the oud but is otherwise unremarkable. I think if you have Oud, then Ruby is redundant (and vice-versa). Gold crosses the line that the original OMS toes so deftly and is a little too overpowering with little similarity to the original.

My experience with the OMS line is such that I am not overly anxious to try the newer Emerald. I'm not willing to pay a premium to get my hands on it (or any subsequent OMS release) before discounters in the US start selling it, based on my experience with the other flankers I purchased. It's just not worth it.

I love this, but it's an old school powerhouse since it's from the 70's. Not all men can handle it.

778m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I love this, but it's an old school powerhouse since it's from the 70's. Not all men can handle it.

778m.jpg
    +1 good stuff full on masculinity!
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post

778m.jpg
    This one is excellent.

Basenotes Plus

I prefer Bogart Signature (the one above) but others like Bogart pour Homme (2004) as a more modern rendition from the line. Alternatively, One Man Show Oud Edition (2014) is a safe and suprisingly good introduction to "oud", and costs barely $20 online. Pick one, or all three.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

My recommendation would be to stay away from the Silver Scent series...
    Currently wearing: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

They're just as good IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think OMS is suitable, and also very inexpensive. It's quite strong, but like you said if you don't like macho 80's style frags, this may not be something to buy RIGHT NOW. Once you build up a larger collection, this is something worth trying when you get tired of everything you own, and decide you wanna build up a classic powerhouse collection, with all the old school classics. Something I have done myself, and although many I don't wear very often, it's still nice to have.

Club 75 may be a good choice. This one is a fruity amber, the fruit notes smelling like strawberry or dried fruits to me. It reminds me of Black XS, and something else, (I have a sample of this). This is a pretty solid fragrance, with good performance, but if you've smelled a lot of stuff already, this will smell redundant.

Bogart pH. This one is probably your best bet. It is unique, long lasting, mature, but not dated. It's kind of a twist on a mature fragrance, as it is modernized with notes like tonka and accords like wild cherry.

I'd steer clear of the rest of the line as they are mostly just overly fruity, synthetic swill. When you smell them up close they may aggravate your sinuses. The plus side with Bogart frags is they all last exceptionally long, but it's not because of all-star perfumers composing them, it's their seemingly dedication to high usage of aroma chemicals that prolong longevity and increase projection. Bogart is well known for this, if you've tried all their frags, you'll see this pattern.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    My recommendation would be to stay away from the Silver Scent series...
    Lol, this made me laugh but I very much agree.

They are all overly fruity, overly synthetic, strong, powerful, teenybopper smells. Good if you wanna smell like a candy shop.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

My two recs are Bogart pour Homme and OMS. Blind bought at the recommendation of basenotes thread and both are great values and a lot of fun. My collection is a lot of niche and artisanal with a dash of Vintage Classics and yet these little gems hold their own for $7-15 (on fragrance net). A lot of fun if you don’t spray too heavy! Haha
    Currently wearing: Ambre Loup by Rania J

I agree with others who've recommended Bogart Signature. Think of a hybrid somewhere in between Cartier Santos and the current version of Chanel Antaeus, and it's pretty close. Outstanding value for your money.
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Seconding especially One Man Show, also adding its flanker Gold Edition, along with Signature and Bogart pour Homme.
    Also liking very much from this house Riviera Nights, while among the discontinued ones Furyo, Bois de Vetiver and Force Majeure very much.

Basenotes Plus

A great fragrance, but long discontinued and available now only at niche-like prices.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Just wanted to update this. I got OMS Gold which, to me, is very similar to Kouros, maybe a touch less animalic but with the same strong incense. Very strong, will fit right into my 80s collection. I avoided the original OMS because I don't like "green" woody chypres. I think they smell like stale cigarettes. So, good choice for me and thanks for the suggestions. I may try Oud next.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

OMS Oud is my pick considering you don't like green stuff.
    oh look, I have a signature

Just wanted to update this. I got OMS Gold which, to me, is very similar to Kouros, maybe a touch less animalic but with the same strong incense. Very strong, will fit right into my 80s collection. I avoided the original OMS because I don't like "green" woody chypres. I think they smell like stale cigarettes. So, good choice for me and thanks for the suggestions. I may try Oud next.
    I might have missed it further up, but have you tried OMS Emerald Edition yet? It might surprise you.