Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Should I even bother with Fahrenheit?

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    You say destroyed city, I say floral leather This thread reminded me that I recently picked up a vintage miniature of this. Am giving it a wearing now on what's forecast to be the hottest UK day on record. See how this pans out...I've always thought it shines in the heat though.
    Agreed, I find it works best in the heat as well. Just showered and applied 4 sprays from my 2018 bottle. It has a really intense, vaporous hazy violet leaf freshness that you can't get anywhere else.

@OP, atleast you have a pretty good nose to compare it to Grey Flannel, which is it's direct ancestor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlorpy View Post
    What changed? What did you dislike at first and now like about it? Do others you know like it on you?
    What changed? – not really sure.
    What did you dislike at first and now like about it? – if you compare few of the regular 80s old school Chypres and Fougeres to Fahrenheit you will see why can be dislike it, when you are used to this totally different aromatics at first Fahrenheit can be brutal.
    Now I like everything about it a total masterpiece in the fragrance world.
    Do others you know like it on you? – I don’t know about others, but my wife like it on me, and there not too many colognes from my collection that she likes…………………………….
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1921 - Chanel No 5 Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Ok so I went into Ulta and tried the newest iteration of Fahrenheit today, about 30 minutes ago. I can smell the gasoline and no vanilla to speak of.

The scent is really an odd one. My girlfriend didn't like it at all. I like it as sort of an "art" scent. It smells to me like a barren wasteland after a war or something. It doesn't have a recent-smoke note (to me) but it starts out with a gas smell and then morphs into a "long-ago burned down city" smell.

Personally I think they should have called it "Doomsday" because it has a sense of desolation and long-ago destruction to it. It's truly interesting though I can't really imagine wanting to smell like it.
    I'm no expert but what is really special about Fahrenheit is the dry down in the later stages.

I'm a believer too. After trying Fahrenheit from a 2018 batch, it smelled awesome, very close to vintage, without the power. Not to say it's not strong because it is.

Look, here's the thing with vintage, especially Fahrenheit. There's no point seeking out vintages unless you've owned it already. Don't believe all the "vintages are better" gossip, because it's simply not true. It's people who have owned it that PREFER them to the current, and who wouldn't?? You're getting everything that first drew you to the fragrance, and in most cases with much more power! In some cases, yes, a fragrance gets butchered in reformulation. It took Dior like 15 years to get it right with Fahrenheit, and bring us back what drew us in. You must understand that there are no fragrances without the IFRA overseeing it all, and for major player companies like Dior, they need to abide by their regulations, which means less Fahrenheit than it once was. Is vintage better? YES, no doubt. Is it worth spending time/money just to seek out a real bottle of it? Probably not.

There was recently a topic on Givenchy Gentleman, that is a very good read, because you get to see people who have tried both vintage and current and are content with both. While you will see people who are clearly upset with the current, you'll see there are equally, if not more people who are content or impressed with it. This goes for Fahrenheit, Kouros, and just about everything else that has risen this debate.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: On El by J del Pozo

I've yet to smell a batch of Fahrenheit that isn't worth bothering with. From vintage to current, they're all amazing. Dior is one of the few houses that don't ruin their fragrances when they reformulate.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I'm a believer too. After trying Fahrenheit from a 2018 batch, it smelled awesome, very close to vintage, without the power. Not to say it's not strong because it is.

Look, here's the thing with vintage, especially Fahrenheit. There's no point seeking out vintages unless you've owned it already. Don't believe all the "vintages are better" gossip, because it's simply not true. It's people who have owned it that PREFER them to the current, and who wouldn't?? You're getting everything that first drew you to the fragrance, and in most cases with much more power! In some cases, yes, a fragrance gets butchered in reformulation. It took Dior like 15 years to get it right with Fahrenheit, and bring us back what drew us in. You must understand that there are no fragrances without the IFRA overseeing it all, and for major player companies like Dior, they need to abide by their regulations, which means less Fahrenheit than it once was. Is vintage better? YES, no doubt. Is it worth spending time/money just to seek out a real bottle of it? Probably not.

There was recently a topic on Givenchy Gentleman, that is a very good read, because you get to see people who have tried both vintage and current and are content with both. While you will see people who are clearly upset with the current, you'll see there are equally, if not more people who are content or impressed with it. This goes for Fahrenheit, Kouros, and just about everything else that has risen this debate.
    Nah, I don't agree with much or anything you've written here.

There are valid reasons for not seeking out vintage fragrances (prohibitive cost; degradation of scent, especially top notes, etc) but for fragrances of the last fifty years or so, earliest versions are invariably the best, almost without exception. I can think of many that have been made more "wearable" or have been "modernized" in reformulation. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one that's been made "better".
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    I've yet to smell a batch of Fahrenheit that isn't worth bothering with. From vintage to current, they're all amazing. Dior is one of the few houses that don't ruin their fragrances when they reformulate.
    *cough* Vanilla Fahrenheit *cough*
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Nah, I don't agree with much or anything you've written here.

There are valid reasons for not seeking out vintage fragrances (prohibitive cost; degradation of scent, especially top notes, etc) but for fragrances of the last fifty years or so, earliest versions are invariably the best, almost without exception. I can think of many that have been made more "wearable" or have been "modernized" in reformulation. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one that's been made "better".
    I don't think you read what I wrote, lol. I know my post seems condescending, but what I am saying is, for people who haven't been spoiled by vintage Fahrenheit already, not to dwell on it. It's not that big of a difference from the current.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: On El by J del Pozo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I don't think you read what I wrote, lol. I know my post seems condescending, but what I am saying is, for people who haven't been spoiled by vintage Fahrenheit already, not to dwell on it. It's not that big of a difference from the current.
    Yeah, now that I read it again....

I took your post originally to mean that Fahrenheit has always been good enough, missing the part when Dior sort of lost the plot with Fahrenheit for fifteen years or so.

My bad.
    Most worn:

It still smells the same to me and I will be buying a bottle for the winter months..

I nearly pulled the trigger on this yesterday when out testing for a new scent to add to my rotation. Only didn't buy as I am trying to drag my ass away from my safe 90s collection. Would recommend though.
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

I think the problem with buying vintage is... ok so it's better and I like it, what happens when I use it up? Do I continue to try to find vintage versions which are harder and harder to locate and more and more expensive until I'm looking for the last remaining bottle on the planet? Or do I just wear what I can reasonably find now and, if it's reformulated into something I no longer enjoy, find something else?

I think the problem with buying vintage is... ok so it's better and I like it, what happens when I use it up? Do I continue to try to find vintage versions which are harder and harder to locate and more and more expensive until I'm looking for the last remaining bottle on the planet? Or do I just wear what I can reasonably find now and, if it's reformulated into something I no longer enjoy, find something else?
    You are overthinking this WAY too much.

Just buy something you like, whatever formulation it is, and then when it's gone, buy something else that you like, whether it's the same fragrance/formulation or a different one.

It's really that simple. Stop making it difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    My 2018 bottle is awesome! It might smell different than vintage, but that's fine. I actually prefer my 90s bottle over the 1988 bottles I had. So far I'm keeping my 2018 and my 92 or whatever it is.
    I have a 2018 bottle, too (8L03) and it's so much better than some of the 2015 and 2016 ones I've tried.
    Of course it's not like the vintage one in the 90s, however it's quite strong, the "petrol" vibe is there and it's got all you can ask for a "real" Fahrenheit.
    I highly recommend it.

And the Le Parfum version which is going to be discontinued (just like DHP). I'm very glad, that Jeremy said in one of his latest videos, that he don't like it because it's too strong. So all of the Le Parfum to me (and Sauvage to the others )!

It has it’s place in ones wardrobe if you enjoy it yes add it to your collection, test it out and then decide it has a strong following for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    So all of the Le Parfum to me (and Sauvage to the others )!
    You're gonna be fighting me and a lot of other peeps for it, as its one of my all time favorites! I wonder if its really going to be discontinued, or thats just a rumor. I mean, it practically just came out!! (2015 release?) How could they discontinue it so fast?? Its still available of Fragrancenet and other places, but I keep seeing that rumor too. Really hope its not true
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    You're gonna be fighting me and a lot of other peeps for it, as its one of my all time favorites! I wonder if its really going to be discontinued, or thats just a rumor. I mean, it practically just came out!! (2015 release?) How could they discontinue it so fast?? Its still available of Fragrancenet and other places, but I keep seeing that rumor too. Really hope its not true
    The other week I seen it for $150 discounted on Fragrancenet, the price is crazy high now I remember acquiring it well below $100 when it was first released hopefully not discontinued though!

in civet est veritas

Irrespective of the "current vs vintage" angle,

I say: don't force it on yourself.

When I was a newbie I thought it smelled weird.

Now I have smelled about one-third of what Luckyscent carries at retail and myself have 200+ bottles ...

And I *still* think it smells weird. And those who know me would probably say I'm open-minded to most anything.

In the same quadrant, but without the hard petrol note, I do enjoy Lalique Hommage à L'Homme (2011) and wear it with joy.

But I just can't seem to come around to Fahrenheit.

Just my honest 2¢.

/Acey
    Last edited by AceyMan; 30th July 2019 at 02:02 AM. Reason: emphasis

Fahrenheit is amazing. It's in heavy rotation for me, I'm wearing it today. There's nothing like it. It's a good one to have in your collection.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Oh, and regarding the different formulations, I can't speak to that. But I've been wearing it for the past year and a half, new formulations, and it is great. Very strong petrol and leather vibes!

3.JPG
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1921 - Chanel No 5 Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

I think the modern version smells great and recommend it.

Vintage searches are for when a reformulation goes drastically in another direction or when a company goes cheap and decides to use cheaper ingredients in an attempt to bring you he same scent.
    Not here. I don't think a vintage search is necessary with Fahrenheit as it's widely regarded as being of great quality now as it was then.