Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
o

Default Re: Parfums de Marly Kalan - new Fragrance for 2019

The more I wear it, the more I like it. It's is a mixture of modern notes that are in a lot of our faves; but in the end it stands on its own.

I quite like this one.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Basenotes Junkie

First full wearing of Kalan today - it's excellent. Each time I've smelled it there's something new that I pick up on, and it's very enjoyable.

I really like a lot from PdM, but a big knock on the house tends to be the copycat nature of some of their fragrances and that some people perceive them as synthetic. This to me is neither of those things. A wholly unique creation (at least given what I own/have smelled), and a high quality blend make for a great overall package. This feels like a real "niche" attempt from PdM, and I think they nailed it.

The performance on this is an odd one as well. I can pick it up pretty easily for the first 3 to 4 hours. It then kinda disappears, but picks up again 7 or 8 hours later. My bottle should be arriving later on this week. Can't wait to get more full wearings!
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Ashton's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ6VBH9NINQ
    He didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Ashton's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ6VBH9NINQ
    He didn't like it.
    He sure does like a lot of Lacostes though.

Got my bottle earlier this week, after blasting through my samples. I'm loving it and can see how it may not be for everyone.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    He sure does like a lot of Lacostes though.

Got my bottle earlier this week, after blasting through my samples. I'm loving it and can see how it may not be for everyone.
    I like Ash's review style and appreciate his transparency, as it's unlike the myriad reviewers that will say "OMGGGGGGG IT'S AMAZINGGGGGGGGG" to every new release. I especially appreciated his honesty RE: Dua Fragrances a year or so ago. That said his nose is all over the place and he likes some weird shit.

All told, I love this one as well but also can totally see why others may not be into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I like Ash's review style and appreciate his transparency, as it's unlike the myriad reviewers that will say "OMGGGGGGG IT'S AMAZINGGGGGGGGG" to every new release. I especially appreciated his honesty RE: Dua Fragrances a year or so ago. That said his nose is all over the place and he likes some weird shit.

All told, I love this one as well but also can totally see why others may not be into it.
    Yeah, no, I like the guy as well but just can't align my tastes with his consistently because, as you've said, he's all over the place. The Dua thing was cool, so was the Scentbird thing so I do have respect for his values, at least.

I like Ash's review style and appreciate his transparency, as it's unlike the myriad reviewers that will say "OMGGGGGGG IT'S AMAZINGGGGGGGGG" to every new release.
    Demi Rawling did so not a long time ago, even with a video asking other people if they like it - and recently she did a "best 12 PDM fragrances" with Carlos aka Brooklyn Fragrance Lover and put Kalan into the 9th place...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sy59Dhu1R0

So it's best to trust your own nose.

Blog Entries

Now that the community is growing these YouTube “reviewers” are getting freebies much like the cosmetics reviewers. Can’t trust the guys with big subscriber numbers. Even if they think they are not biased, the “free bottle excitement” is palpable and they inevitably go easy on their sponsor. When the hype dies down, many of these fragrances don’t make it into their own top 10s and are never mentioned again. Point being, don’t buy into hype.
    Last edited by NickZee; 15th November 2019 at 12:44 AM.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Now that the community is growing these YouTube “reviewers” are getting freebies much like the cosmetics reviewers. Can’t trust the guys with big subscriber numbers. Even if they think they are not biased, the “free bottle excitement” is palpable and they inevitably go easy on their sponsor. When the hype dies down, many of these fragrances don’t make it into top 10s and are never mentioned again. Point being, don’t buy into hype.
    At least, it's not difficult to find out which reviewers get free bottles from PDM.
    Just watch the clips of the several PDM release parties and see, who's there.

However even if someone buys a bottle from his own money and does a proper and honest review, his opinion could totally differ from yours.
    So either you need to find some reviewers you trust and who have kind of a similar taste like you - if you really want to blindbuy full bottles - or you have to sample it first and make up your own opinion.

We are hopefully all grown ups so I'm totally fine with PDM collaborating with some Youtube reviewers (and vice versa).
    They just want to make their business and gain popularity of the brand. There's nothing wrong with it.

(As long as they keep on releasing good fragrances of course...)

Basenotes Plus

I'm really surprised people like this one. It smells like spicy pimento pepper from a cutting board. Not really something I want to smell like. Very......odd IMO.

I smelled it a second time just to be sure my nose wasn't lying the first time and it still smelled like hot pepper. If I sprayed this on myself and then ate onions I would smell like salsa. To each their own I guess, but I can't imagine this stuff is going to stay on the shelves longer than a year. The hype this is getting is all marketing IMO. Nobody is going to buy this stuff from a mass-market perspective. Just a prediction that it's just too hot-pepper to be buying this for anybody. Very few people want to smell like they've been cutting oranges and hot peppers in a small room for 2 hours and just walked out and the wind hit them.

Basenotes Plus

Now that the community is growing these YouTube “reviewers” are getting freebies much like the cosmetics reviewers. Can’t trust the guys with big subscriber numbers. Even if they think they are not biased, the “free bottle excitement” is palpable and they inevitably go easy on their sponsor. When the hype dies down, many of these fragrances don’t make it into their own top 10s and are never mentioned again. Point being, don’t buy into hype.
    Yeah. This Kalan stuff doesn't smell like anything I would believe could sell in a store. It's almost like PdM has paid these youtube "influencers" and wants to find out just how much "pull" they have by making a stinker fragrance and then seeing how many bottles the influencers can manage to get the suckers out there to buy. I can't believe how many of these reviewers are hyping this hot sauce meets oranges pepper spray.

It’s the only one that really matters.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Yeah. This Kalan stuff doesn't smell like anything I would believe could sell in a store. It's almost like PdM has paid these youtube "influencers" and wants to find out just how much "pull" they have by making a stinker fragrance and then seeing how many bottles the influencers can manage to get the suckers out there to buy. I can't believe how many of these reviewers are hyping this hot sauce meets oranges pepper spray.
    Funny how scents are perceived so differently by different people. To me I think the hype here is warranted and really appreciate the fragrance and enjoy wearing it. I don’t get the pimento/salsa vibe at all lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    So... a niche Eros Flame?
    LOL. They try hard. I suspect Eros Flame smells better.

Demi Rawling did so not a long time ago, even with a video asking other people if they like it - and recently she did a "best 12 PDM fragrances" with Carlos aka Brooklyn Fragrance Lover and put Kalan into the 9th place...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sy59Dhu1R0

I saw that video when it first came out and thought it was curious how she praised it weeks before and said it was at the top of her PdM faves, but it wound up 9th on her all PdM list.
    Thankfully I only purchased a decant of this because I'm a big fan of what PdM does but this one just plain stinks on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Exactly!
    I even don't trust all the scent-pyramides and the listed notes there as I personally often get something different when sniffing the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    The more I wear it, the more I like it. It's is a mixture of modern notes that are in a lot of our faves; but in the end it stands on its own.

I quite like this one.
    Smelled it for the first time on an employee this morning. Really good stuff. My wife bought me this for Christmas, and it's nice to know I'm going to enjoy it! To my nose, I do get the comparison of BR 540 (not a clone, however), and a dash of Montblanc Presence.

Now that the community is growing these YouTube “reviewers” are getting freebies much like the cosmetics reviewers. Can’t trust the guys with big subscriber numbers. Even if they think they are not biased, the “free bottle excitement” is palpable and they inevitably go easy on their sponsor.
    I'm not doubting that this is probably how it works in many cases, but it's still amazing to me. To sell your integrity and reputation for a $200 bottle of perfume is just remarkable.

Whether big subscriber numbers or small, my default position is trusting no reviewer.
    Last edited by Alex Krycek; 18th November 2019 at 09:55 PM.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

Demi Rawling said in one of the many ScentXplore Interviews, that she's working together with a company on her own fragrance - but she didn't want to tell which brand.
    So you could guess, which one - I'm pretty sure it's either Parfums de Marly or Initio.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Smelled it for the first time on an employee this morning. Really good stuff. My wife bought me this for Christmas, and it's nice to know I'm going to enjoy it!
    I nice gift to look forward to.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I nice gift to look forward to.
    Yessir!

a quarter million, tops

Saw this for like over $400 from fragrancenet.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Saw this for like over $400 from fragrancenet.
    Wow, that's pricey.
    Here in Germany you get the 125 ml bottle for 147 Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I suspect Eros Flame smells better.
    It does.

Kalan for the evening while watching MNF.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

That's a good price for that size.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wow, that's pricey.
    Where? I don't see anything like that price available in Europe? Cheapest I see in Germany is €187.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    Where? I don't see anything like that price available in Europe? Cheapest I see in Germany is €187.
    Flaconi.de

They have PDM in stock since a few weeks and have that 30% discounts every few days, mostly in the evening 18:00-24:00 CET - you have to look at the website regularly if you don't want to miss it.
    It doesn't work with all brands but it will with PDM, I tested it.
    They sold huge amounts of bottles during the last weeks, Layton and Herod are sold out, too.

It's really crazy since Flaconi is an authorized seller now and has lower prices than all the greymarket dealers here. At least in regards to the more popular PDM fragrances.
    I'm not sure how long they can do it that way - probably PDM doesn't allow them these discounts with their brand's fragrances in future anymore like Chanel did.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast