Code of Conduct
o

Default Bringing a fragrance to market

Hi when my formula is complete, all my restricted elements are within the tolerance for banned substances and using perfumers alcohol is there anything else what’s needed to be added for it to become a legal perfume?
    Is there anyone you need to contact or buy insurances or anything to release it?

Default Re: Bringing a fragrance to market

State regulations, local regarding manufacturing, FDA compliance and familiarity with laws as applies to cosmetic.
    Following IFRA guidelines is optional, not law.
    Some sell online and take a risk, but there are fines or at least cease and decist orders states can impose. You might not even be able to get liability ins if there is no proof of compliance.

* ETA; I am not sure how many states have these extra guidelines but in FL at least you cannot manufacture anything in your home. Manufacture means even decanting a product into different container. You can buy bulk cosmetics from other states, countries even, and put your label on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thea in Fl View Post
    I am not sure how many states have these extra guidelines but in FL at least you cannot manufacture anything in your home. Manufacture means even decanting a product into different container.
    According to the FDA there is no law that prohibits the manufacturing of 'cosmetics' (perfumes fall into this category) in your home provided the manufacturing environment can not cause the product to become adulterated.

From FDA site on what can cause adulteration:

Color additive violations: Misuse of color additives makes a product adulterated.
    Prohibited and restricted ingredients: Violating the restrictions on the use of these substances makes a cosmetic adulterated.
    Packaging: The composition of its container may make the contents "injurious to health."
    Microbial contamination: Cosmetics are not required to be sterile, but microbial contamination can pose a health hazard, making a product adulterated. (See “How must I test my products and ingredients?”)
    Other contaminants: Unwanted substances from a number of sources may adulterate a product.
    Any other problem that could make the product unsafe for consumers when they use it according to directions on the label, or as it is customarily used. (See the FD&C Act, Section 601)

There are also "Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) + Guidelines/Inspection Checklist" an FDA investigator will look at during an inspection should an inspection be necessary for whatever reason. FDA site says: We have posted this list of GMP guidelines to alert firms to some factors to keep in mind when planning their manufacturing conditions and procedures. Even if you are manufacturing your products in your home or salon, these guidelines will help you keep your process and your products safe.

As for restrictions by individual states -- Florida being very restrictive as you said -- most do follow FDA guidelines.

Here's a link that lists each state's cosmetic practices that might be helpful: https://www.mariegale.com/state-agencies/

It’s uk based, but who do you contact once you have finished blend? Or do you simply bottle it and sell it?

In the EU, cosmetic manufacturers have to compile a Product Information File for each of their products and have a safety assessment. See below for more information:

https://csa-cosmeticsafetyassessors.weebly.com/

https://csa-cosmeticsafetyassessors....assessors.html

Don't click on the first option for UK based sites (cosmetics-novotechs), it's now a dodgy Chinese site. I'm familiar with http://www.cosmeticsafetyassessment.com and http://www.efchemicalconsulting.co.uk, and they're reliable.

In the UK as pears has stated you have to register the product on the EU database and it has to have been tested in addition to correct labeling.

In addition any business requires public liability insurance to operate (limited companies anyway). This will protect your business against libel and will protect customers in case of any adverse effects from your products.

Brilliant thanks, it’s just so I know who to contact when I create the next Aventus.....