Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Move over Josh of Slumberhouse, make room for Hans Hendley

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Got in on Areej Le Dore during the tail end of the 2nd collection.

Missed the slumberhouse hype all together (have yet to try any)

I think i'll use this opportunity to discover a new hype train to chat and discuss. Discovery Set ordered.

I think you’ll be pleased with them!

Received my discovery set yesterday, with a little personal thank you note from Hans.
    B392A57C-F024-4C94-93E2-B749D0FC02C3.jpg

Only sampled Bourbon so far, both the extrait and the EdC. Lovely naturalistic composition- whiskey-like boozy, vanillic, warm toasty woods. I got more of the lively orange zest in the EdC but on the whole prefer the extrait’s more languid evolution. There is a certain artisanal rawness about it that appeals to me even if I personally think its projection could be elevated with the appropriate aromachemicals. It’s not as dense as a Slumberhouse. In my mind it sits somewhere in between 2 of my favorite boozy scents: Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Sicilian Vanilla Attar. Not a love at first sniff but definitely growing on me.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

I'm enjoying Fume, it's not quite the same as jeke but it's a very respectable alternative. The roughness in jeke vs the refinement in fume

Basenotes Plus

I recently purchased Bourbon in both the extrait and the EdC. Haven't worn the extrait yet but found the EdC to be quite exquisite and absolutely worth every penny. While I've only worn it around my family so far, all four of them wondered what I was wearing and told me they loved it. This almost never happens. BIG winner in my book.
    Currently wearing: Sunshine Man by Amouage

Just ordered the sample pack. Looking forward to its arrival.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I think you’ll be pleased with them!
    discovery set came in. these are just initial impressions sniffed off some index cards i had laying around. i'll do skin tests later.

Mown
    - green and spicy. Too gourmands for me to even really want to do a full skin test of. Smells strongly of Paprika

Rosenthal - Stunning. I’m a rose lover, so looking forward to doing a full wearing of this. There’s a slight “vegetal” undertone to it as well, not bitter though. a quality sweet rose with that freshly cut flowers aroma that you smell when you walk into a florist. May be a bit feminine but that’s okay.

Blond - Very peculiar smell but not in a bad way. Definitely a signature scent for someone. Initially it’s obviously pitched for Spring/Summer but it could be pulled off in the winter months as well. This one is stumping me because I don’t believe like I’m familiar with any of the aromas in it at all. Will have to revisit for a skin wearing another day.

Amora - This is my favorite opening by far. The dry down is a bit challenging though because it gets REALLY sweet. Roja Dove’s Kuwait has this Rhubarb note that I love and this started to feel like a Kuwait flanker, but instead of pulling back and getting darker like RD’s Kuwait it grows sweeter… AND sweeter still. Shame. I feel like this could have been a full bottle purchase for me, but the dry down seems to tip over into the overly sweet category. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s still wearable, and I think I’ll enjoy it for a dinner date or something while it’s still summer but the overall sweetness severely limits the versatility of it whereas as RD’s Kuwait pulls back to something darker that makes it more appropriate for multiple occasions.

Fume - Holy throwback areej le dore batman. This smells like something from Areej’s first or second collection. Smokey and musky. Already quite certain I like this more than Siberian musk 2. NOT very versatile but has the potential to be an amazing fall/winter scent. I’ll have to do a full wearing to see how the smoky/incense aroma plays with skin chemistry but this one is really cool.

Bourbon - Wow. Delicious scent. Okay so a few things, while this is a stunning scent. My brain puts this in the same category as I do Guerlain’s Cuir Beluga and Tauer’s Lair Du Desert Morocain. That is to say, all those scents (and Bourbon) would be better as a scented candle to scent your home with rather than a personal aroma I’d like to carry with me personally. It’s super rich, very gourmand but quite amazing BUT I wouldn’t want to smell like this if that makes sense? The dry down is a bit more woody/oudy though and that’s cool

Untitled - An aromatic, but again with more heart and base notes I’m just not accustomed to smelling. There’s an oakmoss, fig or some note in here. I feel like this is an artisanal spin on Chanel Sycamore.

So Rosenthal will get repeat wearings from the sample vial. Fume I will be purchasing a 9ml travel atomizer because I don’t think it’s 50ml worthy but it definitely warrants some play in the winter. Bourbon is sold out but if it wasn’t I’d buy a 9ml to spray scarves with in the winter or my wooden coffee table. Amora… I dunno I’m sure I’ll give that a spin as well.
    Don't stank.

discovery set came in. these are just initial impressions sniffed off some index cards i had laying around. i'll do skin tests later.

Mown
    - green and spicy. Too gourmands for me to even really want to do a full skin test of. Smells strongly of Paprika

Rosenthal - Stunning. I’m a rose lover, so looking forward to doing a full wearing of this. There’s a slight “vegetal” undertone to it as well, not bitter though. a quality sweet rose with that freshly cut flowers aroma that you smell when you walk into a florist. May be a bit feminine but that’s okay.

Blond - Very peculiar smell but not in a bad way. Definitely a signature scent for someone. Initially it’s obviously pitched for Spring/Summer but it could be pulled off in the winter months as well. This one is stumping me because I don’t believe like I’m familiar with any of the aromas in it at all. Will have to revisit for a skin wearing another day.

Amora - This is my favorite opening by far. The dry down is a bit challenging though because it gets REALLY sweet. Roja Dove’s Kuwait has this Rhubarb note that I love and this started to feel like a Kuwait flanker, but instead of pulling back and getting darker like RD’s Kuwait it grows sweeter… AND sweeter still. Shame. I feel like this could have been a full bottle purchase for me, but the dry down seems to tip over into the overly sweet category. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s still wearable, and I think I’ll enjoy it for a dinner date or something while it’s still summer but the overall sweetness severely limits the versatility of it whereas as RD’s Kuwait pulls back to something darker that makes it more appropriate for multiple occasions.

Fume - Holy throwback areej le dore batman. This smells like something from Areej’s first or second collection. Smokey and musky. Already quite certain I like this more than Siberian musk 2. NOT very versatile but has the potential to be an amazing fall/winter scent. I’ll have to do a full wearing to see how the smoky/incense aroma plays with skin chemistry but this one is really cool.

Bourbon - Wow. Delicious scent. Okay so a few things, while this is a stunning scent. My brain puts this in the same category as I do Guerlain’s Cuir Beluga and Tauer’s Lair Du Desert Morocain. That is to say, all those scents (and Bourbon) would be better as a scented candle to scent your home with rather than a personal aroma I’d like to carry with me personally. It’s super rich, very gourmand but quite amazing BUT I wouldn’t want to smell like this if that makes sense? The dry down is a bit more woody/oudy though and that’s cool

Untitled - An aromatic, but again with more heart and base notes I’m just not accustomed to smelling. There’s an oakmoss, fig or some note in here. I feel like this is an artisanal spin on Chanel Sycamore.

So Rosenthal will get repeat wearings from the sample vial. Fume I will be purchasing a 9ml travel atomizer because I don’t think it’s 50ml worthy but it definitely warrants some play in the winter. Bourbon is sold out but if it wasn’t I’d buy a 9ml to spray scarves with in the winter or my wooden coffee table. Amora… I dunno I’m sure I’ll give that a spin as well.
    Great impression details, so sounds like overall good experience so far! I see exactly what you’re saying about Mown, I smell the same things and could never wear it. Rosenthal will be a purchase for me at some point, probably along with Fume. The candle idea for Bourbon would be brilliant, but as it is, I ordered the 30ml and hopefully want to wear it a lot.

Basenotes Plus

Great descriptions! I sampled all but Rosenthal myself. Initially, I was least impressed with Mown. Yet, it did strike me as one of the more unique fragrances in the line and something about it made me keep wanting to try it again. After two or three more samples and a full wearing, I purchased a 50ml and now consider Mown my favorite from the line. It’s a real grower. I think it took some slightly cooler weather to appreciate what he did with it. I think I’m going to really love it come fall. It is a very dry fragrance. Tobacco and hay are prominent. I also get a fig note. It is an autumnal fragrance if I’ve ever tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Great descriptions! I sampled all but Rosenthal myself. Initially, I was least impressed with Mown. Yet, it did strike me as one of the more unique fragrances in the line and something about it made me keep wanting to try it again. After two or three more samples and a full wearing, I purchased a 50ml and now consider Mown my favorite from the line. It’s a real grower. I think it took some slightly cooler weather to appreciate what he did with it. I think I’m going to really love it come fall. It is a very dry fragrance. Tobacco and hay are prominent. I also get a fig note. It is an autumnal fragrance if I’ve ever tried one.
    Lots of hay in Mown!

I have tested Blond, Mown, Untitled, and Bourbon so far. I love Blond and Mown. Blond in particular. It is a fresh, fruity leather fragrance that is perfect in the summer heat on my skin. Very unique. They all smell of high-quality, natural ingredients. I am looking forward to trying more. I will be wearing the first sprays from my 9ml bottle of Fume tonight.
    Yes! Blond! It's not talked about too much compared to the others, but it was (surprisingly) my favourite out of the handful I tried. It's been a bit fleeting for me on recent summer wears for me compared to the spring, but I love the drydown.

Enjoying reading all the impressions of this house and glad that basenoters are giving it a shot.

My FB of Bourbon came today, yeah! And I also got a sample of Blond, which I didn’t order in my first sample pack, but trying it today I am pleasantly surprised. A little fruity an flowery, but definitely not overly floral, and as bright and fresh as any other fragrance I’ve tried in awhile.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Mown again tonight. I am really smitten with this fragrance, though I agree with Cheetah1919, the hay is most definitely the prominent note. Lots of hay indeed. Does anyone know where I can find a bottle of Bourbon (the fragrance)? It is sold out on Hendley's website and on American Perfumer. I finished my sample and decided to spring for a full bottle only to find it sold out.

Trying out blond and Amora today. I really like amora I'll wear that one more frequently. The other one, blond, is actually very similar to the peradam by apoteker tepe, close cousins even.

Wearing Mown again tonight. I am really smitten with this fragrance, though I agree with Cheetah1919, the hay is most definitely the prominent note. Lots of hay indeed. Does anyone know where I can find a bottle of Bourbon (the fragrance)? It is sold out on Hendley's website and on American Perfumer. I finished my sample and decided to spring for a full bottle only to find it sold out.
    I will keep my out for ya if I see a FB Bourbon pop up, but hopefully he has a new batch brewing and comes out soon!

Context: Russian Oud is a fragrance i wear strictly at home. It's really provocative, deep, and mood setting. Usually enjoy with a glass of wine or scotch at night. Or in those frigid December to February months at night when I want something warm and cozy to wear to bed. In addition to Russian Oud, I've found Bortnikoff's Oud Monarch to work perfectly for this same situation. Tobacco, Cinnamon, Rose de Mai, Vanilla, Oud. Lovely stuff.

Summary: I gave the Hans Bourbon a spin last night for this same scenario. It's definitely not bad but i enjoy Russian Oud and Oud Monarch more as dark/boozy/spicy cozy fragrances. I still have a sample of Bourbon Cologne on the way and a 9ml atomizer of Fume to do more full wear testings but as of right now I haven't found anything from this house that is a full bottle purchase for me. There's a lot of "shock/oh wow" value in the openings (i.e. Byredo Eleventh Hour) but nothing i personally would like to smell like. That's not meant to offend or turn anyone else away from the brand, it's just that these creations weren't to my own personal liking for a full bottle.
    Don't stank.

+1 for this thread. I discovered this house after ClaireV has mentioned it in her article. All of his fragrances are amazing - Amora is the most realistic stone fruit to my nose. Both concentration of Bourbon are amazing - probably my new holy grail vanilla, replacing Gothic I and Tihota. I need more time with Blonde and Fume and Rosenthal. All in all, highly recommend - and love the new bottle design. I will probably take this over Slumberhouse - a lot of Slumberhouse creations are too masculine for me

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissochka View Post
    +1 for this thread. I discovered this house after ClaireV has mentioned it in her article. All of his fragrances are amazing - Amora is the most realistic stone fruit to my nose. Both concentration of Bourbon are amazing - probably my new holy grail vanilla, replacing Gothic I and Tihota. I need more time with Blonde and Fume and Rosenthal. All in all, highly recommend - and love the new bottle design. I will probably take this over Slumberhouse - a lot of Slumberhouse creations are too masculine for me
    I too feel like I am enjoying these HH’s a bit more than Slumberhouse in general, basically because I like the variety of scent profiles here, and many Slumberhouse offerings can easily smell too similar to each other. Don’t get me wrong, I really like both houses, but I’m trending toward HH.

Basenotes Plus

I will keep my out for ya if I see a FB Bourbon pop up, but hopefully he has a new batch brewing and comes out soon!
    Thank you!

Got my samples. Not a fan. Shouldn't be compared to Slumberhouse, IMO. They're not alike, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    Got my samples. Not a fan. Shouldn't be compared to Slumberhouse, IMO. They're not alike, at all.
    I have to agree the comparison was probably meant as a tongue-in-cheek compliment; objectively speaking their approach to perfumery do not belong in the same postal code. I find the Hendleys more accessible and wearable. Projection seems modest on skin though. From a certain angle majority of them may be viewed as ‘SFW, if a little boring’. Familiar riffs can be found. Untitled for instance does bear a striking similarity to Chanel Sycomore while Blond is a page taken from the violet/floral-suede/leather playbook. But at $3/ml, the quality of ingredients on offer represent good value to me. My ranking:

1. Blond
    2. Bourbon
    3. Untitled
    4. Mown
    5. Fume
    6. Amora
    7. Rosenthal

I might pick up a few of the travel sizes. Too bad Bourbon sold out so quickly; I really like it.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

The fact that they’re mentioned together in the title is because they are the same type perfumer/business....solo, artistic, etc......not because anybody is saying their stuff is the same. Although Fume is very similar in ways to Norne and/or Jeke, I don’t find the others similar to Slumberhouse offerings.

Many will like these HH better.

Basenotes Plus

The fact that they’re mentioned together in the title is because they are the same type perfumer/business....solo, artistic, etc......not because anybody is saying their stuff is the same. Although Fume is very similar in ways to Norne and/or Jeke, I don’t find the others similar to Slumberhouse offerings.

Yes they are solo guys who have a vision that is unique.

Hendley runs his business in a consistent way, while Josh does not. Their visions are quite different.

Hendley’s perfumes are all pleasant. They are not extreme in their vision. They are all wearable, to me. Josh goes out on a limb a lot more, for better or worse.

The op states that fans of Slumberhouse should try Hendley because they're similar.

"If you like Slumberhouse, you should be into Hendley"

Why? Because they both have similar business practices? Whatever.

Fume doesn't smell like Norne or Jeke. Fume smells more like Woodcut. It's more like a dry cedar and birch instead of pine and cade. Fume completely falls apart in the drydown and the performance is nowhere near that of the Slumberhouse scents. They're not alike.

The only one that smells like a Slumberhouse scent is Untitled. Untitled smells similar to New Sibet in the opening. Again, it falls apart in the drydown. Either poor blending or poor quality basenotes. The style of these scents are polar opposite. Hendley is far safer and more mass appealing.

The op states that fans of Slumberhouse should try Hendley because they're similar.

"If you like Slumberhouse, you should be into Hendley"

Why? Because they both have similar business practices? Whatever.

Fume doesn't smell like Norne or Jeke. Fume smells more like Woodcut. It's more like a dry cedar and birch instead of pine and cade. Fume completely falls apart in the drydown and the performance is nowhere near that of the Slumberhouse scents. They're not alike.

The only one that smells like a Slumberhouse scent is Untitled. Untitled smells similar to New Sibet in the opening. Again, it falls apart in the drydown. Either poor blending or poor quality basenotes. The style of these scents are polar opposite. Hendley is far safer and more mass appealing.
    We get it, you’re not a fan. And your comparisons are no more or less valid than anybody else. You smell what you smell, I stand by my thoughts on Fume and the rest.

Basenotes Plus

We get it, you’re not a fan. And your comparisons are no more or less valid than anybody else. You smell what you smell, I stand by my thoughts on Fume and the rest.
    This. Smell is so subjective. I for one am very happy the OP created this thread and turned me on to Hendley Perfumes. I enjoy several of the fragrances from this line a lot.

Got my samples. Not a fan.
    I'm trying my best to give the scents a fair shot. I don't like completely dismissing or praising these artisnal/super-niche houses right away because theres a lot to unpack.

Considering that, the only one that "spoke" to me as a potential enjoyment was Fume. My 9ml travel atomizer should be arriving today along with a sample of Bourbon cologne. I'm intrigued to see how fume does with a proper application and not just spritzing on wrist from a sampler. Fume excluded, I would have to agree with your feelings.
    Don't stank.

This. Smell is so subjective. I for one am very happy the OP created this thread and turned me on to Hendley Perfumes. I enjoy several of the fragrances from this line a lot.
    I'm fully aware of the subjective nature of this hobby but saying that Fume smells like Norne and Jeke had a baby is hyperbolic at best and downright misleading at worse. I bought this sample pack because of that comparison. Perhaps my honesty can prevent others from making the same mistake. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks they're not alike. No-one else is saying it, though.

I'm fully aware of the subjective nature of this hobby but saying that Fume smells like Norne and Jeke had a baby is hyperbolic at best and downright misleading at worse. I bought this sample pack because of that comparison. Perhaps my honesty can prevent others from making the same mistake. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks they're not alike. No-one else is saying it, though.
    I said it in post #5 of this thread and agree with you on the Fume/Norne comparison (but unfortunately I never got a chance to sniff Jeke ).

I still think the premise of this thread is fruitful, that fans of independent perfumery would probably like Hendley (as this is how I was attracted to his work in the first place). Is Hendley a replacement or substitute for Slumberhouse? No. I don't think any art could be considered such. And no hard feelings to thrilledchilled, but I think the title of this thread is a bit sensationalist and we should congregate to the Hendley Perfumes thread where it can standalone on its own (and where by the way, there are people that agreed and disagreed with the comparison in there). The best thing about Basenotes is the quality of reviews and I wouldn't be here if every thing was overwhelmingly positive. My favourite part of user reviews on here (like wood&leather's past impressions) are the honesty and criticism they offer in their thoughts based on experience.

For those who think there are similarities of Norne, Jeke, or both in Fume (like myself)....it’s not misleading or incorrect in any way whatsoever. Maybe you don’t have the nose that can pick up on it. Regardless, your comments and thoughts are presented like you have hard facts and proof on the subject, while others are only expressing how they perceive the fragrances in opinion form.

You’re being honest about your opinion, great, others will I’m sure take into consideration that there’s someone who doesn’t care for these or thinks any Slumberhouse comparisons are valid. And it’s only a mistake if you feel like you made one.

There’s probably not a person here that hasn’t bought something or other based on posts, thoughts, and opinions...only to be disappointed and wonder what they were smelling. It’s like death and taxes, it’s gonna happen if you buy blind at all, but no reason to go back thread posting making it seem like the whole thread premise is completely wrong and misleading.

Bourbon - It’s super rich, very gourmand and quite amazing BUT I wouldn’t want to smell like this if that makes sense? The dry down is a bit more woody/oudy though and that’s cool

I can't contribute to the verbal jousting going on with the Slumberhouse comparisons. I really just dove into this house completely blind without watching any of the videos or reading others' impressions. I just saw the comparisons to slumberhouse, knew slumberhouse was a big brand on this forum so bought the discovery set.

Bourbon EDC arrived today, along with my 9ml of Fume, and hans included a sample of jupiter.

Jupiter: I don't feel eligible to provide a through opinion on this one. While I do love my fair share of unisex fragrances this is purely feminine in my opinion. I don't wear women's fragrances so the only thing i have to say about it is there is no synthetic opening, it's floral and seems pretty. * shoulder shrug *

Bourbon Cologne: This is to Bourbon Extrait what Tauer's Au Coeur du Désert was to L'air Du Désert Morocain. I tried LDDM and while it was very powerful, pleasing and high quality, I thought it was just "too much" to be a personal fragrance and thought it was better suited as a room candle to use around Christmas time. When I tried ACDD I was like "YES! a diet LDDM with the presence pulled back and some other elements slightly turned up." Bourbon EDC's overall presence isn't as overpowering as the Extrait, and to my delight the Bergamot and Musk get dialed up a little to reign in what i thought was downright overpowering bourbon oil in the extrait. Alas, the EDC is sold out but a really nice, more wearable alternative to the extrait in my opinion

Fume: a 9ml is almost exactly all i need of this one if not a 5ml. The opening is a little too "BBQ grill-ey", but this eventually breaks down as UncleBuck pointed out. I mean... thank god though, the first 2 minutes of Fume's opening is just 100% "Maggie! can you bring out the burger patties from the fridge!". AFTER that break down though there's a more dry wood/tea element that won't make people think you were in a back yard grilling all day. Even so, I would go easy on this one in the winter, two spritzes on the scarf at most, def not a daily driver but definitely see occasionally being in the "mood" for smelling Fume. On the fence if i'll keep it.

my humble 3 cents.
    Don't stank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast